Pirsig’s publishing house, William Morrow, announced that he died Monday April 24 at his home in South Benwick, Maine at the age of 88. ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance’ was published in 1974 and was based on a motorcycle trip Pirsig took in the late 1960s with his son, Chris, from Minneapolis. Minnesota to San Francisco.

It went on to sell more than 5 million copies worldwide and was praised as a unique and masterful blend of narrative and philosophy. It was compared by a New Yorker critic to ‘Moby Dick.

It took Robert Pirsig 4 years to write it. Before it became a million-selling classic book, it was rejected by more than 100 publishers. (

photo 1974 courtesy Pirsig’s Publishing)

12 Responses to “Best Seller “Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance” Author Robert Pirsig Died”

1. 1 pj98rider Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:16 am

RIP Mr. Persig and thanks for your incredible book.

2. 2 HistoryFirst Apr 25th, 2017 at 8:26 am

R.I.P. Robert . For such a tortured soul * you certainly had a significant impact on many people ( including myself ) across all spectrums cultures and divides within and outside the world of M/C’s , Zen , philosophy etc .

” Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ” A timeless book for anyone searching for the meaning of quality and the relation of man to his surroundings be they mechanical , electronic or natural

* Robert Pirsig was a diagnosed schizophrenic . Writing ZAMM was his way of dealing and overcoming his condition choosing creativity over destruction .

3. 3 richards Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:41 am

I read this in the late 70’s and remember how much it revealed about life itself. I still have my copy and just now decided it is time to re-read it. RIP Mr. Pirsig.

4. 4 HistoryFirst Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:59 am

A recommendation both to first time as well as long time readers ;

” Zen and Now ; On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ”

by Mark Richardson

5. 5 Jacob Hesselschwardt Apr 25th, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Gone, but never to be forgotten. RIP Mr. Pirsig. I have read ZAMM more than once. It has inspired me and continues to inspire me as it does many others.

6. 6 Tom Apr 26th, 2017 at 7:45 am

“zikhrono livrakha “

7. 7 SIGFREED Apr 26th, 2017 at 9:25 am

They do not write them like that anymore…

8. 8 Charles Erickson Apr 26th, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Now, I hope he is reunited with his son Chris, who was killed in San Francisco in 1979 during a mugging. God rest both of their souls.

9. 9 burnout Apr 26th, 2017 at 11:40 pm

RIP Robert. At times I will turn to any page and read. peace

10. 10 coma Apr 27th, 2017 at 8:42 am

Then we had Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Now we have baggers. : (

11. 11 Coffeebeans May 1st, 2017 at 11:13 am

Read it back then, when I was a young motorcyclist , and am re-reading it now.

With so many more miles on me now, it’s message has changed in so many ways…or, I guess, I did.

Funny and sad that there are so few comments on this.

RIP, Phaedrus.