Next Sturgis Stop. Buffalo Chip Gas Station.

If you ride in and around Sturgis during the rally, you know that it may not be easy to quickly fuel up your motorcycle when you are close to downtown. In an overall effort to educate motorcyclists on ethanol, the Renewable Fuels Association (RFA) has donated a permanent fueling station to the Buffalo Chip Campground. This year riders (and drivers) traveling around Sturgis, will have the ability to fuel 24 hours a day at the Chip with 93 octane, 10% ethanol.

“Every motorcycle manufacturer that sells product in the United States endorses the use of up to 10% ethanol, and we know this will be a great addition to the area during the annual rally, and the rest of the year.” says Robert White, RFA vice president of Industry Relations. “Motorcycle owners are typically looking for high octane, and ethanol helps provide that,” “The Buffalo Chip is the only location in the area that offers 93 octane. The 93 is achieved by adding 10% ethanol to standard 91 octane premium, and thanks to the cost savings of ethanol, 93 octane is actually cheaper than 91 octane.”

17 Responses to “Next Sturgis Stop. Buffalo Chip Gas Station.”

1. 1 richards Jul 11th, 2017 at 9:29 am

1 pump????? That there’s funny!

2. 2 Lyle Landstrom Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:07 am

I’ll keep using pure gasoline thank you.

3. 3 BobS Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:10 am

One pump probably works 50 weeks a year but yeah those other two? Might as well try and find a parking place on Main St! Nice bikes though.

4. 4 Marcus Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:56 am

Woody said lowest price around. Is gas $3 a gallon in Sturgis?

5. 5 John H Jul 11th, 2017 at 11:29 am

Of course the guy that works for RFA is gonna pimp 10% ethanol fuel. I always travel with Startron or Castle Fuel additive. Both products work.
    As any racer knows, ethanol is for drinkin’ It sux in a fuel tank!

6. 6 1550tc Jul 11th, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Some of that gas out there in some rural areas in SD is about 87 octane

$3-4-5 who cares….. gas is the cheapest thing you put into a harley ……..its like the cover charge at a good bar

7. 7 BobS Jul 11th, 2017 at 2:19 pm

John H hasn’t spent much time around race tracks lol!

8. 8 Sharkey Jul 11th, 2017 at 5:35 pm

“Endorse” is a misleading word, I think. More like “comply” with legislation under duress.

9. 9 Shanedrive Jul 12th, 2017 at 8:12 am

Bull………..ANY ethanol and my 10.2:1 shovelhead bitches about it. It’s so fussy about fuel that I’ve rigged 2 different sets of ignition curves. All I need to do is flip a switch when I get “garbage gas”. Even w/that in place, it still fusses about it although not as much. My 10:5 evo hasn’t had to try any (so far) as I just got it up/running a few weeks ago. Where I’m at I’m blessed w/non-ethanol fuels……………fortunately. .

10. 10 Robert White Jul 12th, 2017 at 9:19 am

Actually the guy from RFA, me, uses E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) in my Harley… borrowed the Victory for the video shoot.

And I agree with BobS, I have no idea what racers you have been around, but most today use ethanol.

The Buffalo Chip was $.40/gal under the 91 octane in the area when I was there. Yes, fuel is expensive there.

There is no legislation to build, design or provide warranty for fuels with up to 10% ethanol. Hell, even Indian goes to 15% ethanol.

11. 11 Pat h Jul 12th, 2017 at 11:52 am

Robert you can keep your ethanol and the thousand of lobbyists pushing the inferior fuel that gets considerably worse fuel milage no advantage in saving anything

12. 12 bilbo baggins Jul 12th, 2017 at 12:48 pm

For those of you traveling through the Midwest to Sturgis this year just look for a “Kwik Trip” gas station. They carry what they call “recreational premium”. No ethanol!!! Just good old fashioned premium. And if you get to Sturgis early you will have the delight in watching the gas prices go up up up as the rally approaches. Rather amusing to say the least. But then it is true, they have two prices in the badlands, rally week prices and tourist season prices. Can you guess which is higher? Ride safe all.

13. 13 Robert White Jul 12th, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Thanks, Pat. I live in Kansas City, no lobbyist here. Enjoy your choice at the pump.

14. 14 Robert White Jul 12th, 2017 at 1:57 pm

For extra info for all. There are 16 states that do not require stations to label anything 10% ethanol and below, and many are on the way to Sturgis for most.

15. 15 BobS Jul 12th, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Good luck trying to provide actual facts Robert. Some guys just prefer to believe that gasoline diluted with benzene and whatever other refinery byproduct crap the EPA lets them get away with dumping into pump gas is actually “pure”. I support American businesses as much as possible with my fuel purchases, not ISIS. Going on 30 years now and never had a problem with ethanol blends, or gasohol as it was called back then.

16. 16 Pat h Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:11 pm

The ethanol industry has one of the largest if not the largest lobbying efforts out there I live in a state all you can get is 10% crap I don’t want to talk politics far as I know no motorcycle harley builds do they recommend over 10 or 15% ethanol I’ve worked on enough motors big and small to know what crap it is, run your pan or shovel on 91 octane 10 or 15 % ethanol than switch to 86 or 87 straight gas and see what it runs better on 9.9 out of 10 times the straight gas I’ve been across country more than enough times to know the difference

17. 17 Pat h Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:19 pm