Indian Motorcycle Replica

I am telling you right away. I like Mike Tomas from Kiwi Indian Motorcycles. For many reasons: one of the best motorcycle craftsmen alive, a true biker and a gentleman. I never bought anything from him (sometimes I should have had) even his famous Classic Leaf Spring Front End when I needed one. I made mine and Mike was nice enough to give me advice & compliment me on the final result (bike “The Bravest”). Mike, as the name of his company implies, has a passion for everything Indian, produces his own “Kiwi” Flathead engine, engineers high precision motorcycles & replicas, and does full blown restoration out of his 11,000 sq. ft. facility in Riverside, CA. The object of this post is his Indian Kiwi Replica that I like very much. A replica? Yes, that I like much more than any “New Indian” of these last years or even the “New Indian” of tomorrow (Indian is coming back again in September). Engine is new FlatHead, 84 CI, 42 deg V-Twin Carburetor 40mm CV, Ignition Electronic 12V, Transmission: Synchromesh 4 speed overdrive, Frame: Kiwi,  Spring Forks: Kiwi polished Hydraulic, Wheels: Kiwi 16" Brakes: Drum. (a rolling chassis is also available). Many other options and Mike Tomas will customize to owners specs. You can even see it being ridden in a short movie at: Kiwi Indian Motorcycles.

Barnett Harley-Davidson

18 Responses to “Indian Motorcycle Replica”

1. 1 Panhead 48 Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

I think we are going to see more & more replicas from the old bikes. Like in the custom cars & trucks industry. Cyril, you should do it with your special custom touch.

2. 2 DJ Chopper God Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Nice bike. Ya can’t beat a FlatHead for kool!!!

3. 3 Flathead Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Hey. My nickname is Flathead. Guess why? We need new reliable Flahead engines to build very cool bikes.

4. 4 Flathead Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

Went to the Kiwi site. 59 K is a little bit high.

5. 5 Billy Bartels Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:38 pm

59k is high for a bike no matter who you are. That said, there are so many components on hteir bikes that are hand made to original specs, that it’s really a steal for the work that went into it. For example, they manufacture their own spedometers, beacause they felt weird about putting a new face on a taiwanese one… the details are that precise.

By contrast there are numerous builders who woudn’t hesitate to throw a chinese transmission in a 60k custom, their emphasis is elsewhere and cut costs where they can.

6. 6 G-Man Jan 24th, 2007 at 8:40 pm

Looks good; but, 59K——OUCH!!

7. 7 C.C. Ryder Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:10 pm

Guess it depends on how bad you want one. I don’t have a 20K bassboat or a $45,000 truck, but I have a decent shop at home with fine examples of Milwaukee iron in it. I also got this here fine Dell kompooter, so’s I can talk to ya’ll. It’s all about life’s choices, I reckon.

8. 8 CJ "Warden" Hanlon Jan 24th, 2007 at 10:58 pm

As a personal friend of mike and a business partner with Kiwi Motorcycles, Guilty bases our Guilty Indian Bobber line off of mikes frame etc, i can tell anyone who deals with him that mike is one of the most straight shooting, honest and reputable guys in this industry. Team that with his passion for motorcycling and his skills as a craftsman, and you’ve got one awesome guy that is overdue for some recognition and accolades. Mike doesn’t name drop on who his client are but you’ll find some of the leading heavy weights in the motorcycle and outside the industry as clients…..Each of his replica’s are truely “Hand made”….not just “parted” together…..a true hand crafted piece of art. And other builders recognized mikes skills and quality by voting him at this years AMD show in Sturgis as “Best Production”.
    I wish mike and his guys (and gals) all the success they are due.
    Mike, take a bow!
    Cj

9. 9 Robbie Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:16 am

Would like to get one. Although I understand it’s hand made, 59 K is a lot of money.

10. 10 Rick Jan 25th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

I use Mike’s front ends almost exclusively. I also use George’s at Spartan Frameworks in AZ. If you can’t afford a bike- don’t sweat it, all of us want one- that’s not the issue. Check out his parts line and you will see new ways to make that scoot you already own even better. Mike and I worked very closely during the development of that leaf spring front end- there are no short cuts involved in that baby- it is a refined good running item- the looks are insane. All of Mikes parts are proprietary and top class. The expense he goes to in production is unparralleled. Trust me- he doesn’t make a killing off of you- his expense is the majority of your end cost. The guys who are really pricey in percentage terms and margins are the guys selling you Taiwan parts. An American made product yields about 20-30% while a Taiwan part will yield you 200%….. do the math, it’s not your American parts producers that are sticking it to you it’s the overseas product pushers that are cleaning house on your dollar!

11. 11 Ed Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:44 pm

I see they lowered the price of the Kiwi Bobber Rolling chassis (frame, forks, wheels) $5999.00.

I know it’s probably blasphemy, but I am thinking of getting the Kiwi Bobber rolling chassis & having someone put in one of the current fuel injected Harley Twin Cam engine. I think the Kiwi Engine is beautiful, but I simply can’t afford it. I really like the way the kiwi bobber looks but I can’t afford the whole bike, so I guess I have to compromise a bit. I saw some affordable Harley engines on ebay.

Does anyone out there know anyone that has used a Harley engine for the Kiwi Bobber? Kind of curious how it looked & worked.

12. 12 Ed Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I like all of Mike’s bikes. He seems to be a really cool guy from the email I received back from him, even though he didn’t need to be. I think his bikes look like great quality products, but still a bit high for most people.
    I’m itching to get one!

13. 13 Pop Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:13 am

The rolling chassis is still beaucoup dollars away from complete even after you load a drive train in it. Be prepared to drop another 5 to 10k into the ride for trimming out and cosmetics.

As far as powerplants go, the 100″ PAS/Lotus Indian PowerPlus mill is going pretty cheap- 3500 for a box stocker. There are hundreds of of these available that I know of. The 92″ S&S Indian mill is available for twice as much. S&S is offering it again. I think they are building limited numbers. It doesn’t seem like into they are going full tilt production. Must have had a bunch of parts left over when Indian went under. The 100″ is logoed Indian in the castings. The 92″ was in it’s original production run but I’m told that the logo has been milled off the latest offerings.

If you want to see the 92, it’s elsewhere on this site showcased in a Guilty chop.

Any late model V you want to drop into the Kiwi repop is going to take some fabbing and welding. Talk to Mike at Kiwi. He’ll set you straight.

Anyway, IMO the repop Kiwi is not a daily rider. You can trick out a flathead all day and it’s still a flathead.

14. 14 indianrideroz Mar 14th, 2007 at 8:36 am

This truly is a very nice bike I have dealt with Mike in the past, & agree all his parts are top notch all the way I have never had any trouble with his products. he is also a very passionate man about Indian Motorcycles & stands behind all he does. that being said 59k is still a lot of $$$ for a reproduction bike ( all though I know the Time & expense are about right) when you consider that you can own an original 40′s in fully restored condition good as knew for around 20-30k if you look around for them. I have ridden my chiefs I have 4 of them for about 10-15 years with very little maintenance, once they had been redone. An original Indian will run forever with a little attention now & then. I have one that is an everyday rider that still starts on the 2nd kick 6 years after the rebuild. Besides tweaking you bike now & then is part of the old Iron Fun.

15. 15 CJ "Warden" Hanlon Mar 14th, 2007 at 10:56 am

Ed, wanted to shout back at you on your question about putting a modern power plant in kiwi’s bobber frame. Guilty Customs is Kiwi’s East Coast Distributor, and we build these bikes and there is no problem with mounting such as a 93″ S&S Indian. As a matter of fact we base our Guilty Indian Bobber right off of Mike’s bike. Engine adjuster plates are available too if someone decided to go with other motors. If you haven’t seen the S&S Indian engine, check out our site as we pretty much use this engine for our builds.

16. 16 Ed Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:12 am

Thanks for the input CJ. I thought the negative space within the frame for the Kiwi Indian Bobber might look a bit too small to fit any of the modern fuel injected engines, but it’s hard to tell from pictures.

Nice bikes on your site!

I have to admit, Kiwi Indian engines are probably the most beautiful motorcycle engines I have ever seen.

17. 17 jason May 3rd, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Does anyone know what types of motors whould fit in the Chief roller? I think the flat is cool but too expensive for me. Also I would rather have a traditional right side throttle and foot shifter.

18. 18 Bob Nov 20th, 2009 at 10:01 am

When I lived in flagstaff Az in 1967 I met a guy by the name of Auto Blocker. This guy had one of the first H-D dealerships in L.A.. At the time I met him he was in his early 70′s. He had a bike he had built from parts. It was a 1948 Harley 74 frame with a Indian flat head engine. This bike was painted red and to me it looked like a factory built it. Well I would like to take a Kiwi engine and a reproduction Harley rolling frame and reproduce his bike. Has anybody seen such a bike?
    Thanks