Cam Am Spyder. Not For Me.

Is it a motorcycle, a snowmobile or a sports car? My opinion is none of them. And to tell you the triuh I scratch my head trying to figure out who is going to order and ride (drive) this.  A Canadian company called Bombardier just announced the production of the 2008 Cam Am Spyder. It is futuristic, fast powered by a106-horsepower 990 cc Rotax, with 2 front wheels equipped with165/65R14 tires, and 1 rear wheek dressed with a 225/50R15 rubber. Although it has the sophisticated technology of a sports car (power steering, antilock brakes, electronic brakeforce distribution and electronic stability control with anti-rollover technology), I think it is the opposite of sexy motoring. Maybe fun to race other ATV’s in the great white of Canada. But I live in Florida. Bombardier Spyder.

25 Responses to “Cam Am Spyder. Not For Me.”

1. 1 Marc Frantz Feb 16th, 2007 at 8:44 am

I agree with you. The concept is interesting, but Bombardier
    designed this thing to look like it’s other products, namely snowmobiles and ATVs.

KTM has just come out with something kinda similar called the
    X-Bow, yet it’s being touted as a car. See:

Now check out this little number from France. It’s called Quadrazuma from a french builder / designer called Lazareth.

There’s a little movie showing this thing ripping around the streets of Paris, which is really cool.

Go to:

Now I wouldn’t trade in my chopper for one of these things, but we can have more than one toy in the garage can’t we? Looks like fun!

Maybe someone will create a three or four wheeled hot rod with a big inch V-Twin at it’s heart and designed in the fine American style of the customs we all love!

That….I’d like to see.

Ride Free & Safe All!

2. 2 Ray Feb 15th, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Fast and fugly!

3. 3 DJ Chopper God Feb 16th, 2007 at 12:43 am

Don’t know what it is but I know what it isn’t. Kool!!!

4. 4 sandie Feb 16th, 2007 at 1:08 am

This thing is really ugly. Not for me unless they can make use of it as a snowmobile. I did not see any mention of the cost. How much to own one of these? I bet this is the last year they run down the assembly line.

5. 5 rodent Feb 16th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

This company makes th CJR airplanes that most 2nd rate airlines fly

6. 6 SLHicks Mar 20th, 2007 at 2:16 pm

I remember similar comments when the manufactured trike kits started appearing on the street. While I do not like the yellow version the silver version is much classier looking. I would consider buying one, would like to test drive to see if it holds up to the news releases. Having riden both bikes and trikes this would be something new to ride. It also gives those riders not comfortable on two wheels another option versus the standard trike.

7. 7 vcfoxvulcan Apr 24th, 2007 at 2:16 pm

I’m ready to retire, we love to ride. Always wanted my own bike, but now with the Cam Am, it may be a possibility seeing I don’t need to go through the rigourous training to get my motorcycle license. Cool? Yes, I think it is. I am going to wait to see how many are actually on the road and wait to get the kinks out before I decide to buy. May be retiring soon, but I’m still young enough to enjoy the open road and I can do it on the Cam Am and still be the biker gramma. For those of you who don’t like it…. please when you see me on the road, move over!

8. 8 kattmann May 12th, 2007 at 8:54 pm

I believe the same things were said about Robert Fulton’s steam-powered boat. What? No sails?

Having started out on a Cushman Eagle and Sears All-State scooter and now, in another millenium I ride a Nighthawk everday I can’t wait for this sucker to hit the showrooms.

Sidecars; been there, BMW, Bonneville and BSA, done that.

As an old fart technology-wizard I am all for improvements. I guess that’s why I still don’t own or ride Harley, for an everyday ride! Oh, I forgot to mention my 4-wheel ride is a ’61 Jag sedan, over 300,000 miles and running strong!

Give me the Spyder, I will weave the web.

9. 9 John May 13th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Yep, I agree with you, vcfoxvulcan- I’ve tooled around town on my Road King for years, and as I get older, the idea of dropping it on my leg gets less and less appealing…… I saw a Spyder at the St Petersburg car show, and I have to admit, at least for commuting, the thing seems ideal…. They may not convert many motorcyclists at first, but it IS a sharp little sports car with a decent trunk;

I can understand all the apprehension, tho- at this price point, it makes a lot more sense to me than backing up my Road King with a custom chopper…..

10. 10 bob May 20th, 2007 at 6:51 pm

I took my Seadoo in for service, saw a picture of this thing and bought it on the spot. I have never ridden a motorcycle and never saw one before this that appealed to me in any way. I can’t wait to get it in October or at least get a test ride in June. It is by far the sexiest thing to come along in a long time. It looks like my jet ski but with wheels. Same color and everything.

BTW I owned one of the first Kawasaki jets skis and have worn out a few of them since then.

11. 11 Bobc May 21st, 2007 at 3:49 pm

For several years I rode an Ectasy Trike with the chevy engine. I enjoyed it. I would like a two wheeler and would prefer a Harley, but, because of a disability, that is not an option. I kinda like the looks of the Spyder and think it would be a fun ride. I think the only change I would have to make is to move the break up to the handle bars and find a place to mount my crutches. I can’t wait to see it. bobc

12. 12 bob Jun 16th, 2007 at 11:50 am

Well I just had my first ride on a demo Spyder and I must say I was impressed. The thing looks like a beast in real life. I wanted to take the demo home with me but they would not let me.

Lot’s of power. A very soft ride. Yeah it does not lean like a motorcycle but it is very easy to get use to. Wihtin minutes I was doing over 80 on back roads. I am a novice at this but don’t know of a thing I would change other than getting them into production sooner. Love it.

13. 13 Mark B Jul 31st, 2007 at 10:32 pm

I rode my motorcycle two and half hours to test the spyder ,
    it was great yes this spyder is not for eveyone but if you want to be out there with lots of power and looks this would be the one . i
    had to do a quick move on the road to keep from hitting a dead animal in the middle of the road , turn to the left and to the right with out down shifting the power pick right back up . wish the test ride was out on the highways where the speeds was 70 mph
    it would have been great to get on the gas and watch the cars in the rear mirrors . Mark

14. 14 D Dog Nov 23rd, 2007 at 5:35 pm

I just finished a ride on the spyder. It is fun and fast. Im’ not sure if it would be better than my electra glide on a long ride but around town it is great we ordered two of them.

15. 15 bob Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:55 am

I have had my Spyder for 2 weeks and 1300 miles. It has operated flawlessly and is evertyhing I had hope.

While I knew it would get some attention I was not prepared for how much. If I park it I come back to a crowd around it. People want to have their picture taken with it. Heck they want to have their picture taken with me. On the street people stop and point. Some make u turns and follow me until I stop so they can have a better look. What a fun conversation starter.

Ridng this is a dream. Very soft and comfortable ride with all of the controls in the right place. The riding position is very easy to get use too. The windshield is a bit of a joke until you hit 90mph where it finally does some good. But it looks cool being so low cut.

The trunk is probably the best feature on the thing. I can carry the cover, my helmut and a thick jacket in there with out crowding. It’s nice to have all of this stuff with you and not have to lug it from one coffee shop to another.

I need to take a long trip on it next. My limit is about 200 miles in a day but I am an old guy who has never ridden before.

So there you have it. Good bike. Good alternative to the older or distaff set that don’t want to deal with the balancing issues.

16. 16 Vikki Aug 9th, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Where can I get one!! I want something that’s similar to a bike..
    Something with a motor..
    Something that can go as fast as a car..
    I want a Spyder.. cos, I’ll never learn how to ride a Harley..
    I’m also only 5 ft tall.. and I’m 52..

I only wish I could try one out.. see how I like it.. or not!
    So far, I like what I’ve read..

17. 17 chris Aug 22nd, 2008 at 10:42 am

I got a motorcycle and decided to have the dealer buy it back. Not for me. Too clumsy with learning the shifting and it seems like more of a hassle to learn. I walked in the dealership, past the Spyder, laughed at it, thought to myself how UGLY it was then came back to it, looked it over, sat on it and fell in love. I am going to wait untill spring though since it’s the end of august. Get kinks worked out if there are any and i’ll be on my way to get one. Maybe i won’t be able to wait untill spring and i’ll get it in October. My hubby rides a motorcycle and wants me to be able to ride with him. He was devestated i hated the motorcycle but is ecstatic now that i want the spyder.

18. 18 photogirlmisty Aug 22nd, 2008 at 1:46 pm

I just got my new spyder yesterday 8/21/08 and so far….so good. I’m a 44 year old woman who has never learned how to ride a motorcycle and when I went in to test drive it, I fell in love. I can’t wait to take in on the open road and see what it can really do. I’ve had it up to 80 on the back roads and I love it! I agree…you do get lots of looks with this. I don’t care if it’s not a two wheel bike, at least I won’t have to worry about balancing and fear of dropping it. This is perfect for me…..everyone should at least try it (once).

19. 19 Dan Aug 26th, 2008 at 4:47 pm

I think it looks cool ! It looks like it could handle better in the rain or snow. Here in Wisconsin the summer season is short. So yah, I’d buy it !

20. 20 Chris Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:12 am

Hi everybody,

You see it, you try it, you want it! Nice to ride the spyder roadster and you feel save with this nice noise and the horsepowers under your body. You can not comparate the can-am with a normal bike, but that is the choice. I ordered an Spyder SE5 two days ago. The sky is not the limit !!!

21. 21 Barb Oct 15th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

I just saw one of these baby’s here in my small town of Victoria Tx, cool and I want one how much, and any dealers here in Texas..

22. 22 Old Razz May 2nd, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I just purchased a Spyder. I really messed up my right (brake) hand and missed all of last year riding. I have a FLHT and getting a “Bagger” to stop with a good hand is a Hand Full. THe Spyder is ABS with linked brakes that is used by stepping on a brake pedal on the right side. My right leg still works most of the time so it’s a match made in Heaven. Demo ride was great and the Cam-Am will leave my Harley in the dust. Oh and reverse will be great, no more looking for up hill parking spots and did I mention the damn thing won’t fall down if you forget to put the KIck-stand down. Take from a Old guy there is life after a Harley. Keep the Shiny side up and ride until your dead because if you can’t ride you might as well die. Old Ras

23. 23 oneladyblue36 Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

My husband was killed in motorcycle accident 2 years ago and we rode together. I’ve been afraid to ride alone.But when i saw the Spyder I knew that I could keep riding with confidence. Would love to duplicte some of the rides that we took now I feel that I can. I am 62 and still love the way I feel when I ride a motorcycle.

24. 24 bob Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Nothing on any website tells me miles per gallon on these vehicles. It must suck. Does anyone know where i can find that out?

25. 25 Michael Aug 11th, 2011 at 11:58 am