Custom Baggers Are Hot. So, Read Hot Bike Baggers.

The wide choice of motorcycle media (print or digital like this Blog) available to you says a lot about our V-Twin industry, its health, its size and also its trends. The same way, the magazine(s) that you read says a lot about your particular taste in motorcycles. In good marketing strategy, each magazine tries to find its niche by pursuing readers who share a specific common interest. So, when a new motorcycle magazine called “Hot Bike Baggers” appears on the newsstand, pay attention. It means what you may not know yet. The touring bikes segment is getting bigger & bigger and Harley-Davidson sales numbers are there to prove it. During Daytona Bike Week, just one week ago, I was joking at the number of Baggers parked at Destination Daytona. It was waves and waves of touring bikes and it made me think of the amount of work available to us, custom builders, to improve their looks and performance. I have customized quite a few dressers and loved it (see them in my Website at the page "Custom Harleys"). Brian Klock works on more Baggers than Choppers and even fellow builder Billy Lane just launched a few cool bagger parts, joking that under a bagger there is always a chopper. And it’s true that there was no magazine dedicated only to baggers and their specific needs and parts. In addition to the usual custom baggers features and tech articles Hot Bike Baggers incorporates some more rider-centric stuff like suggested roads to ride, product reviews, bike comparisons, personality profiles, and tour stories. The number 2 was just released and its very cool. It is available strictly on the newsstand, usually where you buy Hot Bike.

26 Responses to “Custom Baggers Are Hot. So, Read Hot Bike Baggers.”

1. 1 DJ Chopper God Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:13 pm

I’m no great fan of baggers, though I do understand why people ride them. Having said that what I’ve never quite got is why so few people trick them out. That’s why I think this magazine is kool. The baggers I’ve seen that were cutom were kinda kool. So if your not into Volvos this might be the rag for you!!! p.s. just kidding about the volvos.

2. 2 Jeremy Woodcruff Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I ride 3 bikes including a FLH. Long live Baggers Magazine.

3. 3 Ryan Mar 17th, 2007 at 2:37 am

Talking about baggers you should really check Big Bear Chopper, Redneck Engineering and Granduer Cycles all of them are putting out Custom Chop Baggers— the trend is definatly turning

4. 4 John Mar 17th, 2007 at 6:54 am

I agree. Custom baggers are hot.The ones I have seen are quite fancy. Customization make them look sexy. It is interesting to see more and more top builders working on them. I guess the reason why people buy more baggers is because baby boomers are getting older and need some comfort while riding. Choppers are solo bikes. Dressers let you take her with you. It’s important. Isn’t it?

5. 5 Billy Bartels Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Funny enough, now that I’m the editor of Baggers, I like them more than I ever have. There actually are a ton of customized baggers out there. Plus I like how almost universally rideable they are. Because really, if you wanted to build something unrideable, you probably wouldn’t own a bagger. It refreshing to work for a motorcycle magazine primaily about riding motorcycles. As ironic as that sounds.

6. 6 William Johns Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Agreed Billy. Surprise: motorcycles are made to ride! I think the average age of a Harley rider is now 48 yo. There is some explanation for everything.

7. 7 DJ Chopper God Mar 18th, 2007 at 3:09 am

46 and digging people who take a little time to customize the baggers. Props to anyone who puts that many miles on a bike. I love when riders have fun with design. All good though either way. Have fun and ride!!!

8. 8 ChopperChick Mar 19th, 2007 at 9:38 am

John, you can take your chick along on a chopper. She just has to have the right attitude.

9. 9 maineultraclassic Mar 19th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

So just how do we subscribe to this new magazine?

So many people are interested in subscribing, but there is no info anywhere’s online or even in Hot Bike about how to do it.

Is there a website for this new magazine?

There really needs to be more info put out about it or else it just isn’t going to take off.

10. 10 Billy Bartels Mar 19th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

As was stated in the original post, the magazine is available on the newsstand only for the time being. Is it unwise to launch a magazine without any web support or subscriptions, possibly, but it is what it is. For now (for better or worse) we’re relying on our stunning cover art (and the word “Baggers” is really big letters) to get us by until we’ve deemed ourselves worthy to the corporate overlords to be given such luxuries as websites and subscriptions.

I probably don’t need to say that anything I say is only my opinion, not anyone elses.

11. 11 CAharleyrider Mar 20th, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Love my bagger! 12 hours of hard riding (900 miles) and i wasnt ready to stop. Glad there are options now

12. 12 Trixter Apr 16th, 2007 at 5:01 pm

I see a lowered bagger the same way I see a 1950 Merc lead sled with fender skirts, I have had other bikes but If I had to give my
    bagger I would just quit riding, Choppers were cool but baggers is
    where its going.

13. 13 Ron Munroe Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Sign me up!! I have a bagger and want to see to what limits you can go to with it.

14. 14 Dingo Jun 7th, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Well i gotta say im getting into the modified bagger sceen i have a chopped rigid and a softtail and love those bikes just as much only because they have their own personality so im now morphing the 95 to my taste as i havent sceen any rodded ones down under yet

15. 15 mike Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:20 pm

i can’t wait until i can subscribe. i just b ought a street glide so i’m a newbie to the bagger scene but i’m already looking to slam it and stretch it.
    looking for ideas and parts.

16. 16 Jeff Jul 2nd, 2007 at 11:26 pm

I guess I understand the no subscription thing at this point but I don’t think I’ve seen this on my newstand either. Where is the closet distributor in Southwest PA and what day of the month can I run out and pick the new mag up? I want one now!

17. 17 Roadking Man Jul 14th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Have a bagger myself. Doesnt look much like it did when purchased though. I agree with Trixter about them looking like old Mercs etc. Thats exactly what prompted me to tear down my 05 King and rebuild with hot rod black paint, lowered rear end, gimp hangers, 4 into 1 exhaust from Hooker, and a few custom touches to finisher her off. Gotta love a cool looking bike that I can put 700 plus miles on in a day with no major issues. Just received the subscription sheet for Baggers and Im already putting my response in the mail. Cant wait to get it.

18. 18 Jim Bourg Jul 21st, 2007 at 8:55 am

Billy Bartels,

Just read your Backpressure editorial in the Sept. issue of BikeWorks relating to the demise of BikeWorks. Is it possible to get the remaining portion of my BikeWorks subscription transferred to Baggers? If not what would be my alternatives?

Jim Bourg

19. 19 mike pearce Aug 8th, 2007 at 12:23 pm

just want to add my 2 cents. Billy has come up with a great magazine that really does a great job of covering the bagger scene, which seems to be growing, and gives equal press to brands other than HD.keep up the good work, and thanks for the story on my bike in issue 3 of the magazine

20. 20 mike keelin Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:27 pm

I too agree. I currently own an 03 Vrod and am drewling over the streetglide model. I cant wait to get that home and tinker on it. Im glad to see people taking an interest in bikes that have such a huge canvas to work with and after its all siad and done you can actually ride them all day.

21. 21 Todd Nov 9th, 2007 at 11:40 pm

This magazine is weak in comparison to American Bagger.

22. 22 Scotty2hoty Apr 21st, 2008 at 2:34 am

Baggers are the new Trend for sure! I luv my bagger! Check out its awesome!

23. 23 Grizz May 14th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I’ve been riding a 57 pan for a number of year’s, my wife convinced me to by an 07 street glide. Damn it’s smooth, no regret’s other than I can’t get out on it enough. I never really liked them when I was younger because my chopped pan was always the coolest bike in the bunch, but alot of us that have been riding since before it became (fashionable) know where i’m coming from. Been there chopped that.

24. 24 Roger Jul 2nd, 2008 at 6:44 pm

56 yrs. old [young] Had a bagger for the last 10 yrs. Got a 99 Ultra Classic that like most of you have chopped it down. No lowers fairings, no large windshield, by the way to each his own on the shields. No big heavy trunk and lovered in the back an the front soon. Had one back operation, neck operation and a shoulder operation so you know I LOVE my bagger more and more every day. Got 95 kit = 1550 and she runs past the newer 96ci and never looks back. BAGGERS FOR EVER……..

Signed: BABY BOOMER

25. 25 Jerry Tuttle Oct 28th, 2008 at 8:40 am

Just traded my 03 superglide for a 2000 road king. What a differance in ride. I am 65 now still got a lot of long trips left in me. Can’t wait for spring to take that first long trip on the King.

26. 26 Ken R Apr 10th, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I finally gave up on them. Subscribed in December of 2008. Mid-April of 2009, still no magazine. Their voicemail never allows a person to talk to find out what gives. Credit Card was hit in early December. Binally in April, we’ve gotten our credit, 4 months later.

Too bad. Was looking for a good bagger magazine.