Free Access To Harley-Davidson Archives. At Least Some…

No, I didn’t find an illegal way to access Harley-Davidson archives. And if it was the case, of course I would not tell you. But I am excited (and you are going to be too) by the fact that you can read online a lot of letters (dating back from the beginning of last century) sent by the Milwaukee factory to his dealers and customers.  How is it possible? Because people like motorcycle journalist Charlie Lecach are searching all the time everything and anything having a potential historic and collector value. And Charlie has decided to share with you his collection of Harley literature in a new site called Hardavmocy. Strange name until you find out that hardavmocy (it stands for “Harley-Davidson Motor Cycles") was the cable address of the Motor Factory. Have a beer, sit back and relax and read some of these letters. I did and learned a lot. Charlie tells me that he is also about to upload vintage racing pictures, memorabilia, listings of Harley pilots and even old movies that you never seen before. I can’t wait. Hardavmocy Website.

20 Responses to “Free Access To Harley-Davidson Archives. At Least Some…”

1. 1 Dave Morristown Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Pretty cool. Thank you for sharing.

2. 2 John K. Endrizzi Apr 8th, 2007 at 10:46 am

Thank you for sharing these fasinating documents. Most enthusiasts are not exposed to this form of first line history due to the expense and rarity. Most paper collections are tucked away in the owners closet only to be seen at his estate liquidation. I’m looking forward your future additions to this great site. Thanks again.
    John K. Endrizzi

3. 3 Shad Apr 9th, 2007 at 10:46 am

Great find. Definitely bookmarked.

4. 4 dragon Apr 9th, 2007 at 9:40 pm

thanks for the info will like this site all ready and have not been there

5. 5 stanley Sep 11th, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I’m looking for a copy of a Harley magazine from the 1920’s. On the cover was my father Stanley Turko along with my aunt Vig. My mother had it until she had to sell her house, and move into a nurseing home. My older sister was given all of her things, but some how she lost this copy. I would like to have at least a picture of the cover if anyone has one.

6. 6 steve Nov 7th, 2008 at 5:19 pm

would like to know what stock colors were available for the 79 sporster xlh thanks

7. 7 Millie Nov 18th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Can the Enthusiast archives still be accessed free through Hardavmocy. I get a “forbidden” message when I try the link. I am trying to find access to issues from 1916.

8. 8 Lyle Bentley Dec 1st, 2008 at 2:34 pm

I have a small twin left side crankcase. I has a serial number FWD36 on the boss with an “M” stamped on the case at the end. I have not been able to find a reference to this number. Can you help me identify this case?

9. 9 ted stanis Apr 15th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

would like to know about springer casting numbers on a old fork TC-20 TF A 14, right rocker SC4A, left rocker SC3A any Information would be helffull thanksTed

10. 10 chuck byrd Jun 27th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Interested in anyone who knows about 95th seals for 98 anni. additlion springer.

11. 11 Norm Hart Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:16 am

Hi there

Do you have any information on the Engine dating of the 1926/1927 and 1928 Single models ie BA 23456
    for an example
    My bikes show BA then number but NO YEAR date ie26BA etc.
    I came across two sidevalve bikes with engine nubers such as 28R then number
    All of my info fails to show a R model for singles in that period

Also do you no what date Harley made statioary motors
    Your advice would be appreciated
    Norm Hart Western Australia

12. 12 Norm Hart Oct 31st, 2009 at 3:19 am

second query do you know the production numbers of 1929 1928 JDF Models
    I cant find that info any where either
    Many thanks Norm Hart

13. 13 Grayhawk Oct 31st, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Do you have the Harley-Davidson Data Book by Rick Conner as it has a bit of the production info in it. It was distributed by Motorbooks International for one but I do not know if it is still in release?

It states/shows no 1928 JDF but does show a 1929 JDF but with no production quantity numbers listed only stating under specialty models the following;

“29JDF: 74 CI V-twin with two unit system”

In regards to your 1926 and 1927 single models question a Harley archive reference with assistance from Conrad Schemmer states/shows that the 1926 and 1927 single model flatheads and BA ohv single model did not have the two digit year designation as a prefix to the B12345 vin example for instance as it, the two digit year prefix started in 1928 for the single models as far as I can tell with the exception of the 1926 and 1927 S and SA single OHV factory racer models.

I have 1926 and 1927 B single flathead model bikes and they reflect same with no two digit year prefix in front of the letter model designate so that seems to correspond and those years single belly numbers also do not have a two digit year prefix. My 1927 B single reflects this in vin number B 8**** for example.

I do also have a 1927s single HD factory racer model the shows the two year prefix so that is an exception as I have seen same on museum racers, i.e., S and SA models. 1927S 5*** , with 500 series supposebly the racer designate series sequence of those models.

Further to the Data Book referenced above; info it shows the following production quantities for 1926 and 1927 single B and BA production quantites for instance.

1926 B single flathead model production quantity 5,979
    1926 BA single OHV model production quantity 515

1927 B single flathead model production quantity 3711
    1927BA single OHV model production quantity 481

Thus/again my 1927 B single flathead model with vin number B 8**** is a 1927 model for instance.

Hope this helps

14. 14 Norm Hart Nov 4th, 2009 at 6:33 am

Thanks to Grayhawk You confirm what I had thought.
    However have you seen in a Harley sidevalve with an engine number of 28R23…etc
    I have seen one on ebay and the other in a friends shed
    Both bikes sure looked like a B model. of 1926 or 1927

Also I asked about production of a 1928/1929 JDF
    Sorry this should have been Model JDH
    I look forward to your reply
    Many thanks Norm

15. 15 Grayhawk Nov 4th, 2009 at 8:00 am

Is the sidevalve you refer to a single or twin, as far as I know the only R models were 45 twins that followed the D, DL, vertical generator twin series etc. but their, the D series, first year was 1929, the R models ran from 1932 to 1936.

Does it, your 28R motor have an industrial shaft coming out of the case half for drive as it may be for a pump drive or other industrial use and not motorcycle. for instance I have a 20’s Indian Prince single cylinder motor with a WM prefix that is an identical; motor wise to my 26 Prince but is an industrial use Indian single cylinder motor and that also would be my guess on your 28r if its a single HD or someone had buggered the numbers, etc.

In respect to your 28/29 JDH production numbers they list the JDH models in 28/29 years in the data book that I have found references of but do not breakout separate production quantity numbers for JDH separatley as they were JD’s with the 2 cam shaft motors and different trim out; pretty rare and the so called performance JD not counting the 8 valve of course.
    The book; Harley and Indians Wars, has a pretty good write up on the JDH but no production quantities?
    Dale at WTT follows this blog site and he may shed some light on JDH and he has the museum/ website out of Maggie Valley.

If I find something in my references for the JDH productions I will post it, good hunting.

16. 16 Grayhawk Nov 4th, 2009 at 9:44 am

Hello again Norm, when in doubt just google it, 1929 harley davidson JDH, as per an auction listing; Motorbase it said less than 100 produced??

17. 17 Norm Hart Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:37 am

Hi to Grayhawk
    I sent a message yesterday but it appears it did not go through
    The two 28R models I believe may have been B models and that the photos did not clearly show the bottom of the lettter B
    Both motors were in complete bikes
    I have a 1930BA Model engine in a frame etc but it has 1926/7 forks
    I now have the later forks
    Finding parts in Australia is not easy
    Anyway again thanks for info If you do get further news on the JDH models I would be
    please to receive it
    Best wishes from the South West of Western Australia Norm

18. 18 tod callahan Jun 13th, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I am looking for info on fiberglass sidecar bodies that look like the metal ones. have found some articles that HD made these for around 3 years and that most were sold to police depart. in northeast us and canada. I have one and found a number stamped on the frame that looks like 69-1040. not doing very good getting info about these.

19. 19 Merle Shawd Sep 11th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I am looking for a list with pictures and dates of all the steins and decanters that have been officially sanctioned by Harley-Davidson. Thanks – Merle in Iwa

20. 20 manuel May 18th, 2011 at 5:56 am

hello. I write from Spain Madrid. I would like to know some information on this model. how many were manufactured. some picture. I have a Harley TT ROAD RACER 1927 factory, nº motor 27 S 508.