Easyriders Magazine Is Changing Its Content

Change of market conditions equals change of content. Easyriders Magazine is steering away from the very high dollars bikes and will now publish more average bikes. You know, the ones that some of you (with or without the help of a couple of friends or the help of your local shop) could build in your garage. Only American bikes. No metrics which are featured in the sister publication V-Twin magazine. What does it say? The economy sucks, money is tight for individuals and custom builders, but the passion is intact and we all have to express our talents within a more reasonable budget. Sometimes, it can mean even more creativity. This is good. Observe the change in 2 to 3 months, the next 2 issues being already booked. Easyriders Magazine

20 Responses to “Easyriders Magazine Is Changing Its Content”

1. 1 James Oct 29th, 2007 at 8:59 am

And all the other magazines will follow the trend of more affordable bikes featured in their pages.

2. 2 Karl Oct 29th, 2007 at 4:22 pm

The best would be a mix of both types of bikes because we need to dream and ride.

3. 3 Greg Ashmin Oct 29th, 2007 at 11:06 pm

I read Cyril Huze blog. That’s well enough for me!

4. 4 Scott Oct 30th, 2007 at 9:45 am

It is always good to return to your roots, back in the 70’s when i was first exposed to the biker lifestyle Easyrider and the other mags were just that bikes that guys built themselves. I would rather see a bike with a $500 paintjob than a $5000 one. I know I am cheap. I wouldn’t feel as sick if i scratched my cheap paint. Then again I build my bikes to ride and not look at.

5. 5 Patrick Soros Oct 30th, 2007 at 10:05 am

I would like to know if this change of direction is due to a lack of big dollar bikes available for features, or just an adjustment to a pre-recession economy.

6. 6 madpuppy Oct 30th, 2007 at 1:24 pm

I agree with Scott, I also started reading Easyrider in the early 70`s. IT WAS the only Real Biker mag. out there. David Mann did a center fold for each issue, Dirty Ernie roving photog., and for the guys that can remember that far back! LOL, they even had iron on decals.

7. 7 Chris Callen (Source Editor) Oct 31st, 2007 at 9:49 am

“Almost cut my hair… Happened just the other day…”

This is a great step for Easy Riders. But one of the posts above stated that the other magazines will follow this trend. I’m not sure what you’ve been reading lately but there are many, many good publications on the newsstands right now that have been running this type of content. Of course I will shamelessly plug my own publication, Cycle Source Magazine, but not without mentioning the fact that The Horse has been doing it for some 10 solid years now.

As of late there have been quite a few excellent new pubs that are based in culture not status like the old E Z, and just to name a few of my favs here they are. Garage (kick ass mag) Dice, Greasy Culture, and don’t forget long time industry standard Street Chopper. SC has been getting it on with the chopper culture scene since the 60s man, ya’ gotta’ recognize that.

So like I said, great move for Easyriders, but it’s more of a welcome to the pack than anything else. Hey, you want a real look at cutting edge, go check out Vibes magazine from Japan. There is no translation copy available yet but from the pictures alone I can tell you those cats are living this thing 110%.

As for Cycle Source, maybe we’ll start covering rail choppers like the sixties and seventies. You know, the long thin, mostly sporty based, usually needed an almost six foot long kickstand……. Better not say that out loud, it’ll be the next new trend. Hahaha!

Wild Man!

8. 8 Pop Nov 1st, 2007 at 12:12 pm

I just want to echo that it’s a return more than a change.

Now if they can just dump the PC crap and return to celebrating the biker way of life instead of the bikee lifestyle, then I’ll spring for a subscription again.

Once in a blue moon I cracked a cover at the newsstand because something got my attention. But the sickening shlock that dripped off the pages kept me from wasting a penny on it.

I remember that in the day, we used to wear the rag out. I wasn’t the only cat to carry two subscriptions, one to read to death and the other to squirrel away in private stock.

Probably too late for ER to get back to that kind of cool. But anything is better than the “middle of the road all things to all motorcycle enthusiasts” rag that it deteriorated into.

9. 9 Marilyn Stemp Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:32 pm

Like Wild Man Chris, I did a double take when I read some of the other comments. No question, ER is the granddaddy of biker magazines and they’ve been through the industry ups and downs. At one time I could see how a “back to basics” move like this could set a trend but I have to say that the concept of magazines featuring real bikes belonging to real bikers isn’t new or trendy. I’ll unashamedly state that IronWorks has always focused on real world bikes for the average rider, because that’s what we ride and what we are. Where I come from money is always tight when you want cash to spend on your passion – slow economy or not.
    I’ll also agree with the comment about showing a mix of bikes, because whether it’s music, art, motorcycles or whatever, everything’s derivative and one good idea can spark another.
    Chris cites some other worthy mag titles that are and have been thick with kustom kulture all along. There’s room for everyone, but let’s all agree it’s nothing new.

10. 10 Wild Man Nov 1st, 2007 at 6:48 pm

There is another mag that I should have mentioned. IronWorks, for anyone that doesn’t know has been a magazine from the working man’s perspective as long as it has been around. It’s comes from the area of the rust belt that saw Steel Mills and machine shops raising communities. Their take on the industry and the culture has been as solid as the products those old Pittsburgh steel mills put out. Even their writers are known as IronWorkers, a keen way of keeping them in line with the working man. Thanks for backin’ me up Marilyn, we know what the next trend is gonna’ be right? One that favors the working man and those who can turn their dreams into reality with blood, sweat and tears.

11. 11 Marilyn Stemp Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Right on, friend.

12. 12 Nicker Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Pop’s right…..

Risked life and limb climbing about in remote areas of the shop and came up with a pile of pics and articles cut from
    Easy Rider, Choppers, Custom Chopper, Big Bike, etc. (1969-1973).

I’m look-n at articles about small backyard shops and average guys building their own bikes (some in their living rooms).

Like a paint article on Patty Dokter, an art teacher from Cerritos showing how lift prints onto a tank.

And a pic of a very young Arlen Ness, with leather skullcap & goggles, standing by a bomb-can-painted, olive-drab kludged-together sportster lead up against the wire fence of the Hayward CA National Guard Armory (in the rain).

Easy Rider actually published sketches from “Paladin,” our own local (Berkeley CA) “Biker-Troll.”

Thanks for the memories……….:-)

13. 13 dragon Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:43 pm

iron on patches in a biker rag lmao i used many of them and that was when a bike looked like a bike and were rode not just showed and if i looked hard enough i might even still have a couple of the mann poster’s put away some where

14. 14 jatinder pal Nov 3rd, 2007 at 2:50 am

should have babes and bikes.thats it.

15. 15 Rogue Nov 4th, 2007 at 5:47 am

Have you looked at Easyriders “BIKER” magazine? It is about the parties and the lifestyle for those of you that are looking for those kind of things.
    Some nice rides too but not a lot of tech stuff.
    There are some real good publications out there and if you look you can find exactly what you are looking for.
    I am also happy to see more publications and wish them well.
    Do not forget the internet either with Bikernet and Bikers Inner Circle.
    They are all trying to bring you information about our lifestyle and in most cases doing a real good job at it.

16. 16 Logan Nov 5th, 2007 at 1:40 pm

I’m partial to Ironworks and Cycle World. Easyrider has become too much of a entertainment magazine for me. If I want chicks I “read” Perfect 10 (no need to settle for less than the best). If I want a Biker mag, I read Ironworks. If I want speed, I read Cycle World. Easyrider is the Maxim of biker mags, but it is nice to see them getting back to their roots and finally remembering what it means to be on our side of the fence.

Logan, just a guy and his bike with nothing else to worry about. And lovin’ it!

17. 17 Billy Bartels Nov 6th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Well, as long as a bunch of industry folks are chiming in, I shouldn’t feel weird for blowing my own horn…

I’m the new editor of Street Chopper (having recently launched Baggers), and part of the attractions was to get back to bikes I can relate to and feel passionate about. While I love the balancing act of producing a sick custom ride that can still pound out the big miles, there’s something arresting about a balls-to-the-wall chopper that I’ve never been able to get to. So, bottom line, don’t make me out as a follower of ER when SC focuses on “real” non-“show bike” style bikes.

For that matter don’t toss my sister pub Hot Bike in there either, as they’re shifting to more attainable bikes as well, though probably not to the same extent.

Now to answer Patrick’s question: there is no shortage of high-dollar bikes out there, or the companies that build the parts to make them. And while there is definitely a slowdown of that sort of bike getting bought in anything like large numbers, it’s still a very viable (and profitable) subset of the overall bike market (just ask Cyril). So my question is, if all of the aforementioned mags aren’t covering bikes like these, and ER and HB are moving away from them… where will they get the press they rightfully deserve. Just because they’re not my cup of tea doesn’t mean they should be shunned. Doctors and lawyers deserve to ride too, right?

Now for the shameless plug. To answer madpuppy, scott, rogue and a couple others: I’m going to do my best to make Street Chopper as in-your-face non-PC real-life bike rider as the big bad corporation (I am joking, as they do sign my paycheck) will let me. We’ll see how it goes.

18. 18 Cyril Nov 6th, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Congrats Billy & the best to you at Street Chopper.

19. 19 Billy Bartels Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Cyril. I’ll probably stop by your shop at some point, as my little brother (Dan Bartels) lives in Coral Springs and I need to go see his new house. I’m adding a destination section (chopper tourism) in the magazine and I’ll be hitting up all the So Fl shops.

cya soon

20. 20 gustian Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:46 am

Hi again,

I’m of course the "black duck" here in the pool. As a Belgian, I’m not born in a state with a custom-bobber-chopper-hot rod/tradition like the US. The (rare) appearance of a custom bike in our streets still makes us turn our heads. Over here, they are much more into sport and tour-bikes. We have a 100 percent tax-profit for the use of a motorcycle in the home/work travel, therefore……When I buy a magazine, that only shows me what I see in the streets all day, then that will not thrill me anymore. Hopely the publishers of Easyriders will handle a mix of both. What if art (what bike building is) has no more freedom of expression? Because they are far too expensivef? Because you can’t realy ride them every day?
    I must admitt, neither I have a big budget to affort me the Harley of my dreams. I also agree that, if you have to create something with less, you can end up with a real original result.
    But that may not be the reason to ban (OK, for much of us unreachable) those dream machines from their magazine. I have studied graphics/photography (long time ago) and there I learned to appreciate as well simple or exhuberant pieces of art. In motorcycle-building, every time, it surprises me how after all those years, with the same concept frame-wheels-motor, the builders can create real piece of art. And what’s art worth if it is not shown to all of us…….See ya… tot de volgende keer…a la prochaine…bis nach