Klock Werks New Flare Windshield

A windshield has never been the sexiest part of a touring motorcycle. But a lot can be done to improve its cosmetics and its efficiency. Here an example called the Flare Windshield. This one was developed in a wind tunnel and proven on the Salt Flats of Bonneville during a bagger speed world record attempt and success by Brian Klock’s wife Laura Ellifson. This innovative windshield creates a down force and less drag on the motorcycle, improving handling characteristics and providing a much improved air pocket for the rider. Plus, it looks cool. The Flare Windshield from Klock Werks is a direct replacement for your 1998 and newer FLTR/FLTRI.  It is custom molded from premium quality, hard-coated polycarbonate to provide unmatched durability, and pre-drilled for easy mounting using stock windshield hardware. Options available are 8" Tint, 8" Black, 8" Paintable Clear 12" Tint and 12" Clear. All are priced right at $169.95. Klock Werks Baggers

26 Responses to “Klock Werks New Flare Windshield”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Dec 8th, 2007 at 5:09 pm

I was fortunate enough to spend some time at Klock Werks recently and Brian shared with me some of the wind tunnel data. Most impressive. Technically, this windshield leaves Harley’s in the dust and looks totally cool to boot.

2. 2 marc Dec 9th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I bought one of the first out of production. 8″ size in black. looks great, and works pretty well considering. It’s infinitely better than the 5″ Black HD strip, and works much better than the SE smoked 12″. If you spend a lot of time on the highway, they have a 12″ in clear or smoked, which probably makes more sense.

3. 3 Kiwi Mike Tomas Dec 10th, 2007 at 11:03 am

Brian, Laura, and the Klock Werks folks are very dedicated to their product line. I recently visited their operation and was very impressed with their dedication and passion to making the best parts possible. They offer solid proof that their products work which they back up and Brian recites the specifics. Bonneville land speed racing separates the men out from the boys and they step up to the plate and I left Klock Werks very impressed. It’s refreshing to see new cool products come out for baggers that actually work. True leaders in my mind.
    Mike Tomas
    Kiwi Indian MotorCycle Co

4. 4 Big Joe Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:00 am

We enjoyed having you Mike!

5. 5 Brian Klock Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the post, I was able to spend a bit of time catching up with our fast paced industry through your blog over the holidays and was delighted to see us as part of it all! We are continually blessed with people like Kiwi, Doc, Jim Betlach, Marjorie Klieman, Tom Motzko from Drag, and others who venture into the “other” side of South Dakota on their travels and we welcome you all. We were fortunate enough on this part to create something sexy that works equally as well as tested in the A2 Wind Tunnel in NASCAR country. The downforce added helps to stabilize the front end of the bike as it wants to lift. It really made a difference in the stability of Laura’s runs on the salt this year. Isn’t it great to be able to test your products in such a legendary place as Bonneville and call it work!

Keep the great mix of information coming and I appreciate the service you are providing us all. Hope your holidays were great and we look forward to seeing you in Cincy 2008!

Brian Klock
    Klock Werks

6. 6 tom Feb 9th, 2008 at 1:48 am

i have a 2003 roadglide. i want a windshield that will blow the wind over my head and not hit my helmet. i’m 5′ 10.5 which shield would meet my satisfaction ? thanks

7. 7 Andre Nieuwenhuis Mar 22nd, 2008 at 2:33 pm

This windshield surely looks good and the advertising is great. The shield was bought to replace my stock Harley Roadglide shield. It sucks the air out your lungs, blasts you with hurricane strength wind and strangles your passenger with her helmet strap After removing it within 10 miles I rode the bike without a windshield to the dealer to get new fittings and the airflow is more tollerable than with the 12 inch Klock Werks windshield.
    But it sure looks good sitting in its box in the garage because the manufacturer does not back his product and now I have a $160 ornament.
    Andre nieuwenhuis. 817-994-2223.

8. 8 Mike Duce May 24th, 2008 at 7:38 am

I’d like to read the tech data on the “flare”. Looks like the perfect solution if the passenger ride is improved. Great blog, by thw way. I bookmaked you and will be back. Thanks!

9. 9 Richard Cote May 26th, 2008 at 7:15 am

When they tested this piece of crap, they must of been wearing a full face helmet.
    I had it on for one ride, I thought i was going to lose my helmet ,
    there was so much wind coming at my head.
    i took it off

10. 10 Roger Wells Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Andre Nieuwenhuis,
    If you still have that ws woudl you sell it?

Roger Wells

11. 11 auto glass repair in dc Jul 22nd, 2008 at 4:36 pm

12. 12 Big Biker Aug 7th, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Pretty sure those people that just type on here just to BITCH about products should take in concideration that some products are not for everyone. If it doesnt work for you it not the end of the world. Grow up and take your skirt off! If your riding a harley davidson you shouldt be acting like such a little school girl. Thats my opinion!

13. 13 Leo Sep 29th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Does the Flare come in different sizes for a bat wing fairing? If so which one would be best for someone 6′ tall who still desires to hear the music. I have tried a 6 ” HD and the looks didn’t outweigh the the turbulence.

14. 14 MeLissa Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Leo –

The Flare Windshield is available in 6.5″ option for the batwing fairing and comes in tint, dark smoke or black color options.

Brian obviously designed the windshield. He is 6′ tall and compares it to the effectiveness of a 8″-10″ HD version. The stock windshield allows the wind to come over and swirl the air in front of the rider. The flip on the Flare Windshield top kicks the air path up so the rider gets “clean” air – much like riding a bike without a windshield – no annoying buffeting.

The “Flare”or “hips” on the sides of the Flare Windshield produce 15 lbs of downforce vs. the stock 30 lbs. of lift. It’s like putting a spoiler on the front of your bike and will greatly improve the handling.

We are happy to report we have over 15,100 happy users as of this writing.

15. 15 Dan Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:10 pm

15100 windshields sold??? Come on. Be serious or I am going to ask you to show your bookeeping. You just discredited yourself and Brian Klock.

16. 16 Rich Oct 4th, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I bought the short smoke Klock windshield. I’m 5’8” and am very pleased with every aspect of the windshield! As the above blogger stated this may not be the windshield for you.

17. 17 chip Oct 6th, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I have an 07 Roadglide. I love the looks and the added stability. I wish it were a bit taller as the wind hits me in the forehead. I,m 6ft. 2 in tall. Another problem is that in the rain the water drains right onto the speakers. Are there any new designs in the works? Don,t get me wrong; Its much cooler/better than stock.

18. 18 Mark Oct 7th, 2008 at 6:36 pm

On 9-11-08 as i rode home from work, afternoon shift, i was broad sided by a buck deer. Never saw him coming until he hit just in front of my right hand on the fairing of my 08 road glide. I know it was a buck because i got a good look at his rack as it slid up my klock werks flare windshield. Gotta say the bike is pretty trashed but not a crack in the shield!! It was about the only thing not damaged. I’ll be needing a new one though to fit my new night rod special. Have one in the works? It will be a bagger when I’m done but without a fairing. Great product, keep up the good “werk”.

19. 19 Jayson Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:02 pm

This is for Dan– You’re an idiot. You don’t have a clue. Google “distribution network”, and read it. Trying educating yourself before you speak so that you don’t sound like a mental degenerate. I feel much better now….

20. 20 Joe Mar 7th, 2009 at 1:35 am

I agree with the 6’2″ gentleman. I realize the sizes you offer no don’t worked well on the salt falt test , for the highway cruiser I’d like one just a little wider and 2″ taller. Brian Klock please let us know if there are different sizes in the future.

21. 21 Andrew May 18th, 2009 at 6:35 am

I recently purchased, what Klock Werks calls a 10.5″ for my 2001 FLHTC. It would appear, that the folks there and I have a difference of opinion on how to measure a windshield. I measure from the edge of the fairing to the top edge of the windshield. Or, the space one can actualy see. They, on the other hand measure from the center bolt of the fairing to the “start of the top curl” on the windshield. Consequently, the windshield is about 2.5″ higher than my line of site.

Up side, It did a great job of keeping the wind off my face and shoulders and sat well a 120 mph actualy reducing, though not eliminating the wobble created by the famous “Batwing” fairing.

Down side, looking through the windshield is a no no. Great deal of visual distortion, very reflective as it shows it mirrors the tank and any chrome it can pick up. And, lastly a great deal of vibration at city speeds and some highway speeds till there is enough pressure on the screen to stabalize it.

My “try it” ride was about 120 miles in duration and speed of 0 mph to 130 mph. I have already removed it and cleaned it and is going back to the dealer. I may try the 6.5″, if they measure the same way, that means the actual windshield size should be around 9.5″ wicj would be perfect.

22. 22 Bob May 26th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I have an 07 Street Glide and I am 6’2″ with a passanger that is 5’10”.
    What would be the best height for us? We do plan on doing som long trips this summer.

23. 23 Grayhawk May 26th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Sounds like a good product, as it has some creditable people supporting it and that is always a good thing.

I am a little concerned when I see individuals saying they are “x” tall and asking for a windshield size soley based on a given height/dimension.

Klock Werks can not control every salesperson selling their product assuming it is sold at retail stores and not just company direct. I did not look that up so as to whether they do or don’t do outside sales on this product so am winging that one.

Consideration as a buyer and/or the seller may be helpful if you fit the windshield size or height if you will to your specific bike/modifications, etc., your riding position or posture, your seat top or your butt seating position to your eyes, etc.

You may be 6′ tall but ride slumped over as if your 5′-8″ or even tall or short waisted as it all goes into the equation and resulting satisfaction or dis-satisfaction with the product.

If it doesn’t fit you as you ride it has not been fitted.

May just help out with overall sale satisfaction from a fit the person and their riding style standpoint as that well may make the difference in a happy customer saying good things here or on the street and one dishing the product.

Without each involved asking all the necessary questions and if buyer giving all the necessary info concerning your size based on ride fit what you buy may not be exactly what you need with no fault to the product.

24. 24 FROSTY Sep 9th, 2009 at 9:16 am

I am getting a new 2010 HD-TRI-GLIDE.
    Has anybody had a responce from the field how these work on the new Trikes.
    I read how tall everybody is and I’m 5’7″ and sit straight up. Because of my height I look through the windshield. I am currently riding a 03 RoadKing and have no issues with the stock windshield.
    Hook a brother up – before I buy a windshield that may not be right for me.

25. 25 dale Jun 18th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I have a klock werks windshield on my roadglide . I would like one about 2″ taller but don’t know the right way to measure for a new one. Can anyone tell me how to measure for a new one the right height. Thank You

26. 26 Johnny Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

To whom it may concern,

Does anyone know if Klockwerks, or anyone makes the smoked low-cut windshield for a 2011 Harley Night Rod Special? If so please inform me of website or contact information.