Billy Lane Trial. The Blood Evidence

Regarding his DUI Manslaughter case, on January 18th Billy Lane was in Court in Viera, Florida for a hearing about where his blood evidence should be tested.  His lawyers argued that the state of Florida cannot dictate where the blood works should be sent. They also claimed full responsibility for the blood evidence once it will be under their control. Judge Allawas allowed the blood work to travel to Rocky Mountain Labs in Colorado.  However, the Judge mentioned that the state would be able to argue as to whether the test performed by the independent lab. will be admissible if they feel the Lab used is not competent.  Billy Lane next pre-trial hearing is March 5th.  He is facing criminal charges for DUI Manslaughter from the September 4th, 2006 crash that caused the death of Gerald Morelock. In Florida such charges can bring up to 15 years in prison.

30 Responses to “Billy Lane Trial. The Blood Evidence”

1. 1 Jacko Jan 23rd, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Justice drags on… he ended a life. What’s yours worth?

2. 2 Chas Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:30 pm

If he took a life then he should be a man and take the punishment. He know and god knows and the blood work will show he was drinking. I’ll have no good for him if he is lying his way out of this mess. Shame on Billy

3. 3 Axel Jan 23rd, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Everyone needs to remember that Billy is a good person who got into a situation. The man that was killed was also past the legal limit for alcohol- this does not make it right but everything is a situation- Billy is a good person who has to wake up every day and live with what has happened- he is a MAN and will take responsibility- but no one else has to walk in his shoes- What would you do if this happened to you? Oh wait if your not famous no one would ever know. Get off the freaking computer and ride your motorcycles, do something beside judging others.

4. 4 Karend6656 Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Axel You said it all. I applaud you..Billy made a mistake, like I have said before we ALL do, only he is famous we aren’t.People have to stop judging, and move on with their lives. Billy is a good man, he just made a bad mistake…

5. 5 Patrick Jan 23rd, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Those who think that Billy is happy to wait a trial during 2 years are dumb. I am sure he is impatient to know what will be the verdict. Anyone in his situation will try to get out of it through his lawyers. It’s very hypocritical to pretend the opposite. We would do the same.

6. 6 The Pan man Jan 23rd, 2008 at 9:30 pm

He always had a beer in his hand on TV. Seems that was his normal lifestyle. It is a choice to drive drunk. Yes he made a mistake and now he must pay for it. The sad thing is no matter how many years he gets it will not bring back the person he killed.

7. 7 Brett Jan 23rd, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Always had a beer in his hand on TV??
    That is the problem right there. You know NOTHING about the man other then what you saw on TV. Did you know they also edit TV?? They have ways to make you think something happened that really didn’t. People from “reality” shows talk about it all the time.

I am not trying to say Billy Lane never drank & never drank too much.

However, the people who know him also know he’s been in AA since this happened. When he was in Sturgis, the strongest drink he had was Gatorade.

What happened was a terrible thing. However, all the people saying he needs to be a man & own up to this…guess what? You would be fighting for your life as well if you were in his shoes. Also people going through trial’s for killing someone don’t have press conferences & say, “yeah, I killed him.” When the trial is over, I’m sure Billy will say what he has to say about it. That is the other thing, if this was you, there wouldn’t be thousands of people on the internet talking about it & calling for you to be a man & own up to what you did. Instead it would be like most DUI death cases & none other then the families would know anything about the case.

8. 8 emily Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:41 am

March 5 right in the middle of Bike Week will make an interesting day trip.
    A good example how booze can destroy so many lives.
    Take heed from this and THINK before you act

9. 9 The Pan man Jan 24th, 2008 at 1:03 am

Brett I have 19 years clean and sober and it didn’t take killing someone to get me to get clean.As for knowing Billy how do you know that. He is fully responsable for his actions whether he is a celebrity or not. Being in the spot light was also his choice and with that choice came the publisity he is getting now. As a matter of fact his case has been very low key compared to Paris and Britney. The plain and simple fact is he plowed into an innocent man ending his life and if booze was not involved Billy and the man he hit would not be where they are now. Argue all you want but Billy was wrong and was at fault .Once this kind of thing happens you can’t turn back the clock.

10. 10 gustian Jan 24th, 2008 at 8:55 am

Let’s hope this will not happen to one of us.
    Billy made a victime. Now he became a victime himself.
    I don’t know Billy Lane personally, I’m living in Belgium-Europe, and have no interest in defending or accusing him……
    Let justice do his job.
    Billy Lane as bike-builder, Billy Lane in his private life.
    Those are two different worlds. The one, I admire as bike-artist, the other Billy, I consider as a normaly guy with the same rights and obligations as you and me….

11. 11 J Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:00 am

Well, saying that he is a good person who just made a bad mistake is ALSO judging him, sorry.

He is an American, who exercised his right to free will in an unlawful manner. The court will determine the extent of his culpability, access an appropriate punishment- if any- and then society will determine his fate.

Because the legal system is a bit perverse these days, defendants hire lawyers not to defend their rights, but to find a legal way out of criminal sentencing;

What these people fail to realize is that if they just man-up and take responsibility for their actions now, then society tends to be very forgiving of them in the long run…. However, weasel out of prosecution via a clever lawyer, and society will punish them and their families for generations.

There is no free lunch, and no number of bubble-headed blonde fans will change that.

12. 12 goldiron Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:17 am

Oh please, cut the sanctimonious crap.
    If he is guilty as charged, fine him the usual Florida fine for killing a motorcyclist and then fine him the usual DWI or DUI charge and drop the whole thing.
    Celebrity fines are always increased and get huge publicity. Just drop the whole damn thing and move on.

13. 13 MIKE Jan 26th, 2008 at 5:20 pm

14. 14 MIKE Jan 26th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

15. 15 Nicker Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:00 am

“…good person who just made a bad mistake …”
    “…good person who got into a situation…”
    He’d better hope they ONLY nail him with a “Celebrity fine.”
    Other wise he’ll need-ta bulk-up.
    Inside ya got two options: “Gladis” or “Gladiator.”
    And “celebrity” won’t get-cha squat..

“…fine him the usual Florida fine …[and]…Just drop the whole damn thing …”
    Say What………?
    Reality Check, please!
    How about -drop it off this Blog-
    There’s no value left in this topic.

RE: (justian)
    “…Now he became a victim himself…”

Is that how criminals in “Belgium-Europe” are viewed?
    As “victims”…..???
    Get real!

16. 16 gustian Jan 27th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Absolutely not Nicker,

I wanted to say, he became a victime of himself.
    Sorry, I forgot the “of”.
    If you read my last sentence then you’ll see I consider him no more than you and me, same rights and certainly same obligations.

As for justice in Belgium-Europe, judges overhere are not at all gentle for drivers who caused (deadly)accidents in combination with alcohol-abuse.
    Ik know what I’m talking about, I’m a police-officer with 33 years of duty. Me also, I think this topic doesn’t belong here any-more. This is no law-blog.

17. 17 Nicker Jan 27th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Thanks for the note.
    We’re on the same page.
    Have a great day.

(i plan to ride forever. So far, so good)

18. 18 gustian Jan 27th, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Nicker,

over here it is now 02.45 am, I’m on duty. We have acces to internet, so from time to time, I can watch the blog.

You also, have a great day (and soon a good night)

Ride on

(Back in time, I was young and beautifull, now I’m just beautifull !)

19. 19 Chet O.E.P. Burozski Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:45 pm

You know what kills me? This could be any one of us. I’m certainly not above admitting I have driven in not so perfect condition before. Instead of arguing about it we should all just learn a valuable lesson from it. Working in the motorcycle community I know I have seen many more builders and people at events taking cabs home after the bar and a lot of it is because of what we have learned from this tragic accident. Good luck Billy and my heart goes out to the family of the man who was killed….

20. 20 Big Joe Jan 29th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

The Pan Man hit it dead on when he stated that Billy made a choice. He made a CHOICE which had and has dire consequences. It kinda bothers me when people say he made a mistake. He didn’t make a mistake because he knows what is right and what is wrong when it comes to drinking and driving. He’s not stupid. If he made a mistake that implies he didn’t know right from wrong. and thus has some sort of valid excuse.
    I’m no angle, many years ago I got a DUI. I did it, plead guilty and took my punishment. Luckily nobody was hurt. I can’t imagine what Billy is going through with a death on his hands.

The whole idea of contesting his blood test for what ever reason is weak. Just as weak as when Wild Bill Janklow used his diabetic condition as an excuse. Janklow did the same thing, he made a choice to speed and drive wreckless as he was known to do and a man died. The whole diabetic thing was weak. Two men killed other men with their cars. Two different circumstances but both trying to get out of it as light as possible.

I would hope that ever put in a similar situation I would be man enough to own up to my actions and not try to buy or excuse my way out of the punishment. But that is too easy to say without actually being in those shoes. We must have trust in the system to provide justice. Unfortunately the system is run by men and by that it is fallible.

Just my input, it wasn’t necessary but there it is.

21. 21 Nicker Jan 29th, 2008 at 5:13 pm

“…trying to get out of it as light as possible…”
    “… not try to buy or excuse my way out of the punishment…”

Much as any other organism, we humans operate on self interest.
    Don’t know anyone (sane) who’s ever “stepped up” to do hard time.
    Going deep into hock to pay a celeb-fine is one thing.
    But, getting locked up is something to avoid, if at all possible.

So, i’m not gonna rag on him for looking to duck that bullet.

22. 22 Big Joe Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:26 am

I have to agree, I can’t imagine what he is going through. I never want to know either

23. 23 spjls May 6th, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Hang him and burn him at the stake! People with money and fame never get the same punishment as the rest of us! Mistake or not we lose to many motorcyclist to this same type of situation. (THE MADNESS MUST STOP)

24. 24 LA RIDER May 17th, 2008 at 1:28 am

By now, big bad Billy knows what a douche he is. Still sickens me to see so many Billy butt-kissers still out there.

25. 25 Jimm Cattle Jul 23rd, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Billy Lane is a half wit neanderthal who needs to be locked away in a cave somewhere.
    His bikes suck too.

26. 26 Knuck el head Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:55 pm

So what’s the deal? Whatg has happened to this case? This shit is dragging on for too long. Is he still locked up awaiting trial, in jail for murder-2, out on bail, or what? As far as his guilt, sober or drunk, it just doesn’t fucking matter. A guy is dead. Someone (guilty by reasonable proof) not not-guilty by technicality is in order. Blood work revelation will only matter towards sentencing. But physical evidence (finger prints on steering wheel, hair in steering wheel, rub position on pillar posts, etc are all means to prove someone was sitting in the driver’s deat at time of impact.
    Time will tell…….

27. 27 Silver Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:08 pm

As best I can tell, he’s still out running free.Probably making just enough money to pay for his lawyers.

28. 28 rjb Oct 20th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Billy Lane is no different than me or you…….he made a mistake that he could have avoided……
    bad decision and it should cost him the same punishment as anyone else……..if he is found guilty, he should do the time……..

29. 29 AMFcharlie Apr 12th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

My 6 year old daughter (than 4 year old) and I met Billy at a show, I think it was EZ riders. This was when It was OK for Billy to have a bottle of Black Jack on his table and share swallows with beautiful women while signing autographs with young “hardbellies”. Just like Young Vince Neil, or Young Ted Kennedy, the fun and games comes to a screeching halt when someone gets hurt! I know that after that show I showed my daughter several people on the way home that were riding bikes or the bus that were doing so because of drinking and driving. I even told her that This guy who she idolized (Billy), would be one of them! Now look at his pathetic ass. I hope the poor fool spends the rest of his life doing something good for society. The sad thing is that someone with him knew better than to let him drive that night, but thought “oh, I’d better not intervene, Billy might not let me hang around anymore”. Maybe Billy should have chosen a better class of friends. Maybe, it aint Billy’s fault at all, maybe it’s our own society’s.

30. 30 Thomas May 12th, 2009 at 12:24 am

I knew of this inncident when it first happened, and was kind of stunned(billy was always a favorite to me). Not really into the whole custom bikes, but what I am into is automotive enthusiasium. Ever since I was 6 (my father owns a high end car dealership) so I have been around cars, bikes, boats. I have driven everything (Supra, gixxers, ferraris, lambos, cigarette boats. A true automotive enthusiest dosent drink and drive. Its amazing how I can get caught doing 100mph in NJ(Northen Jersey , Bergen County) on a bike or car at 2 am and get 6 mounths suspended license. While the first time DUI will get 3 mounths. Just amazing. I said my peace