Skate, Bobber And Rock ‘N Roll

During Bike Week, most of the next generation of Bike Builders set up their displays at the Limp Nickie Lot. And Chris Callen, publisher and editor of fast growing Cycle Source Magazine had the pretty smart idea to mix these creative builders with some pro-skateboarding exhibitions (on the adjacent Stone Edge Skate park) with an Old School Bike Show running from 12 to 5 Pm on Friday. Although we were warned that conditions were favorable for tornadoes to form above Daytona (one landed south of the city), it didn’t stop the crowd from checking machines ranging from vintage to renovations to new old school. I should add "Crazy School" to qualify the style of a couple of bikes being exhibited in this show.  Public got a chance to check the bikes and parts of the following builders: Nash Motorcycle Company, Led Sled Customs, French Kiss Kustoms, Blings Cycles, Detroit Bros, Keino Cycles, Lucky Charm Choppers, Street Smart Cycles, Guilty Customs, Rich Phillips Cycles, Bare Knuckle Choppers., etc.

16 Responses to “Skate, Bobber And Rock ‘N Roll”

1. 1 Rodent Mar 10th, 2008 at 7:53 am

great venue…much better than stupid Desination(not in daytona) Daytona….Chris is going to knock some of the current lifestyle magazines out of business with his fresh style of journalism……

2. 2 Colleen Swartz Mar 10th, 2008 at 8:38 am

I heard it was THE PLACE TO BE in Daytona this year! Great effort Chris and all the great builders that pulled it together. I hope to see the Limp Niki lot at other major destinations!

3. 3 Dan Morrow Mar 10th, 2008 at 8:45 am

I stopped by. Yes, great venue. But it would be nice to mix these new builders with the big names of the industry. They were not at Destination Harley. Where were they? Not exhibiting?? Why???

4. 4 Marilyn Stemp Mar 10th, 2008 at 8:49 am

These guys are pursuing the dream in their own way and it screams with authenticity. Can’t wait to see what they do next.

5. 5 Cj Hanlon Guilty Customs Mar 10th, 2008 at 9:50 am

As a builder that participated in the “Limpnicki Lot” i can’t say enough about the efforts by Tabor (Nash Motorcycles) and Chris (Cycle Source Mag) in bringing this event to Daytona. I look forward to participating in the next show in Sturgis, as well as next year in Daytona. This is the “shot in the arm” that Daytona (and other events) need(ed) to bring us back to our roots and remind people why shops build bikes! Great job guys!

6. 6 Gina Woods Mar 10th, 2008 at 10:47 am

WOW…what did I miss? I left for home too early! Good for you Chris sounds like another great original idear you’ve come up with… can’t wait to hear / see more. Hope your magazine will feature a nice recap!

7. 7 TrickaTrike Jon Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:18 am

Cyril, i enjoyed very much your daily reports from Daytona Bike Week.

8. 8 Big Joe Mar 10th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Sorry I missed it, congrats on the sucess of the event WildMan!!!

9. 9 Henry Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:24 pm

What about adding a BMX competition. Would be PHAT.

10. 10 Henry Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Chris is too heavy. Cyril is too skinny. You should take your meals together. Ha, ha.

11. 11 Bobby Hassendoff Mar 10th, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I always enjoy reading your blog, but this last week daily report from Daytona was excellent. I missed bike week this year for the 1st time in 8 years. Money issues. Well, next year.

12. 12 June Murante Mar 11th, 2008 at 7:38 am

Well I did stop by and see Chris and Mark and everyone that works there I was there many of times we work together with Chirs at Cycle Source I am very proud of him. Chris I think you are doing a great job I can’t wait until next year. Your magazines is just great and I see it getting better and better every issue. And it was also great to see Nash and all the other great guys out there.

June Mutante
    In The News

13. 13 Kiwi Mike Tomas Mar 11th, 2008 at 9:56 am

Chris is an original, thinks outside of the box and is one of the coolest guys around. Our industry needs more of his non main streaming. My conclusion, riding bikes all over the country leads to great thoughts like this while behind a set of handlebars. It’s where all the best motorcycle thoughts come from and Chris sure does his fair share of riding and obviously thinking.
    Push those limits mate and keep up the great work.

14. 14 Andy Mar 11th, 2008 at 10:02 am

I returned to Daytona this year after a 10 year absense. I have a new business in the industry and my presence was demanded during Bike Week 2008. Needless to say, I was excited to finally return to Daytona for the spring celebration of everything motorcycle. I loaded my tour pack and strapped on my luggage started Rachel (my dresser) and took off from Columbus, Ohio.

My wife was concerned that I was riding by myself. I always consider it an adventure and assured her that I would see another bike to join in my journey. To my dismay, I didn’t see another bike until the Georgia border. Trailer after trailer passed me on the highway.

I arrived in Daytona the next day to ask “what happened?” What the hell is Destination Daytona? When I visited DD, I could only wonder why I felt like cattle going to slaughter. I kept asking myself over and over again, what happened to Daytona? What happened to Bike Week?

After a couple of days I started to take a close look at the folks attending the event. To my dismay, I noticed that the true Biker has been taken out of Bike Week. I found it tough to find any true biker. I went out to the Cabbage Patch knowing that I would be able to find the hard core biker trash that I so dearly love. I was shocked when I witnessed a girl getting kicked out for showing her tits. I mean a little flash. I found the vendors complaining and all the patrons dressed-up like clowns thinking they were in fashion for the week. I finally ran into Moon and Lords. It was refreshing. We had a great time talking about old times at the Cabbage Patch.

Main Street, No comment other than DEAD. I counted nine families with their little kids running around at 10:00 pm with Mom and Dad in their burmuda shorts with their black leather vests. What’s this about?

I visited the camp grounds that 10 year ago, had the all nighters’, bike competitions, garage custom inventions and the famous wild parties. At midnight, everyone was asleep. I rode my bike back to my trailer late one night. It had rained all evening. I was the only bike on the road for 15 miles. I saw one U.S. veteran along the way.

I now call this event ER-Week. There is no Bike in the event. Our industry has taken the true biker out of the mix and left them to the wind. All the bikes that I witnessed were everything weekend rider. The guy that wants to look tough at the bar on saturday night as long as the weather permits.

I wish I would have known about the subject event. It sounds like I would have seen some bikers.

Welcome to ER-Week. Bring the kids and have a picnic on main street.

15. 15 Chris Callen (Source Editor) Mar 12th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Cyril – And all,

Thanks for the good words on this new venue. We are more than happy with how things went at the Limpnickie Lot and are already making plans for it during Sturgis. In all fairness though, I must state that this was a collaborative between all the builders and sponsors on the lot. Taber from Nash worked very hard on this and in the end he and I did a lot of the leg work but the whole deal was a combined effort of each and every one on the lot.

The coolest thing was that we set out to just have a good time, get together with our friends and do this thing our way. In the end, that was the energy that people picked up on. Makes me think back to why people started to get together at rallies like Daytona to begin with. They were with their buds, having a good time and doing things their way. Thank God that when history repeats itself, it usually picks the good parts to revisit. Again, thanks to everyone who made this such a big success.

16. 16 Chandler Originals Apr 10th, 2008 at 8:24 pm

A bit late on my reply, However…..Chris……..Fantastic job….your mag. kicks ass…….very well done….you are gonna have great success….

Adam Chandler