American IronHorse Files For Bankruptcy, As Expected.

Dennis Johnson, Senior Editor at Dealer News forwarded to me some new info about the troubled American IronHorse. Thursday the company held a conference call with its dealers to give them a brief description of its plans for reorganization and news about a potential buyer for the beleaguered manufacturer. American IronHorse announced that it plans to file Chapter 11 the week of March 24. CEO and president Buck Hendrickson stated that he is confident a group of investors, whom he calls "motorcycle people," will help the company with its reorganization efforts. He added that some of them could be current American IronHorse management investing their own money in the company. This announcement comes just nearly three weeks after a trio of investors filed a petition in U.S. Bankruptcy court to force the OEM into involuntary bankruptcy for failing to pay debts that could total $2 million. Since then, four more creditors have been joined the case, including custom wheel manufacturer R.C. Components.(picture CEO AIH Buck Hendrickson).

38 Responses to “American IronHorse Files For Bankruptcy, As Expected.”

1. 1 John Mar 21st, 2008 at 3:13 pm

AIH has screwed its dealers, vendors, and clients for so long that no one cares if they go away. Management should be proud of driving this organization right into the ground.

2. 2 Nate Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:37 pm

What a shame!
    A really good product not handled right!
    Buck that horse!

3. 3 BillytheKid Mar 21st, 2008 at 6:30 pm

Good’ole AIH, where do we begin. Good’ole boy hiring, Good’ole boy CEO network (with no MC experience)Good’ole boy deals w/ select dealers and if your not in the g’ob dealer network your called every week to shove bikes down your throat regardless of your current inventory or monthly sales. If your an employee who kisses the CEO’s a#% you can steal,lie, run up your AIH C-Card without any questions or repercussions BUT if your a dealer/employee and have a solution/problem or send an email or need factory help/warranty issue/etc. your s$%t out of luck. As far as finding an outside buyer, well it seams that’s there business plan (to borrow / borrow / borrow)I can’t see that happening w/ there reputation in the industry. As far as finding internal investors . . . uhm let’ see . . . the same CEO-VP network that would not take responsability or ownership for there actions or lack of action are now going to pony up THERE own $$ to save the ranch. It sounds like more AIH b#$$%^&t. This comment is not a blanket bash on AIH, it’s for the few bad apples (the “leaders”) that ruined AIH, a company that at one time had a lot of potential and future in the MC industry. I’m speaking from experience, I have never seen such an ill-managed company in my business life.

4. 4 George g Mar 21st, 2008 at 8:50 pm

What happens toall the poor saps that own one of these bikes ?im sure they r all SOL with the warranties Thats a dan shame on Buck and the good ole boys RIP!

5. 5 DJ CHOPPER GOD Mar 22nd, 2008 at 7:00 am

Those bikes sucked. Good riddance!!!

6. 6 Kephas Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:42 am

American Iron Horse depended on the bling to sell bikes. I have yet to see a true biker on an American Iron Horse. As a matter of fact, our neighborhood bikers call the AIH “Disco Choppers”. Again, weekend tough guys trying to look cool. NO SOLID MARKET. Kinda like the .com junk in the 90’s.

AIH offered absolute perception without substance along with cookie cutter style. No imagination just sell junk to dummies. Well, seems like the dummies disapeared or got smart.

Good riddins’ AIH. Motorcycle people. Buck is a joke. We know better. The definition of “Motorcycle People” for AIH is different than ours. Buck still thinks he can “Bling” the market. SAD.

7. 7 saorijohn Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Never seen an AIH bike because I live in England and we never had ’em over here. But the adverts in the American custom magazines I subscribe to would have put me off. They tried to portray these tough, rebel biker guys never grownin old but wearin velvet jackets and flowery patterned shirts!

Yeah, like fuc* off.

8. 8 Wayne Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Warranty or no warranty. A lot of AIH owners still will not turn loose of these bikes because no other bike can run with any of these horses. Keep your rice burner,crotch rockets, and any of the other so called American made crap. And all you Harley riders claiming to be American made with all the Asian parts on the Screaming Eagles etc: that have internal engine componets with a T stamped on them ( Taiwan ) . Who is paying big bucks for 88 ,96 & 110 cubic inch mo peds. A bunch of fad seekers. That’s who !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 9 Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Hey Now! So much hate for AIH, and I see it everywhere I go. What a shame that a company with a GREAT American name generated more negative than positive. Why is that? That is the question I am wondering.

10. 10 05 Legend Mar 22nd, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Alot of haters out there, all I know is Ironhorses are kick ass bikes. Hopefully the company can make it back. As far as not taking care of there dealers and AIH owners, shame on them. If they want to make amends with there real customers, the ones who ride the bikes, then they should get there act together to supply everyone in need of parts and service. Without the riders they have nothing and should remember that.What they do from this week forward will determine if they can make it back. If they leave everyone hangin in the wind , so to speak ,they will lose it forever.

11. 11 DJ CHOPPER GOD Mar 22nd, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Mar 22nd, 2008 at 12:51 pm
    “Warranty or no warranty. A lot of AIH owners still will not turn loose of these bikes because no other bike can run with any of these horses. Keep your rice burner,crotch rockets, and any of the other so called American made crap.”

Look I generally don’t hate on bikes, but those things blew. They ran good. They rode good too. That much I know because lord knows I had to ride enough of them. That for me was part of the problem. NO ATTITUDE. They were as someone stated earlier Disco Choppers. They were also FUGLY. Ugly cookie cutter monstrosities. p.s. I wouldn’t be caught dead with a Harley shirt on, and would never ride a post 1976 Japanese bike. Unless of course it was a Zero engineering bike.

12. 12 Wayne Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Opinions are like ass holes…..we all have one !!!!!!!

13. 13 DJ CHOPPER GOD Mar 23rd, 2008 at 5:09 am

Mar 22nd, 2008 at 10:11 pm
    Opinions are like ass holes…..we all have one !!!!!!!

Fair enough. Enjoy the ride!!! C.F.L.

14. 14 goldiron Mar 23rd, 2008 at 9:36 am Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:23 pm

The Patriot Act sounded like a great name, too.

15. 15 blue sky rider Mar 23rd, 2008 at 10:57 am

Shame on Buck who uses the f word too much and ChuckRoss for treating women like commodities at Sturgig and probably that way every day!
    These guys along with Bill Rucker
    Need to get lost!
    Maybe another manufacture like Big Dog should take the reins and save those nice riding horses! I love the bikes and think management has damaged AIH!
    Cookie cutter or not, I’d love a cookie, esp a Legend cookie ride! What is Textrons next move with AIH? Those board members at AIH need to change too! Is AIH following Titan?
    Smells like it!

16. 16 TROY Mar 23rd, 2008 at 11:01 am

I’ve personally known people and had friends that worked at American Ironhorse and all have long since departed the company. They all told me that the upper crust was arrogant and living in a dream world. Speaking of dream, their so-called “dream team” of design “engineers” have confiscated and patented many of our original ideas and called them their own. All it takes these days to be a Dream Team is some good software and a few people who can’t wait to run to the company with your ideas for some kickback. Most of the awful stories that have been printed here are true, Hand picked dealers set up by Ironhorse, sending tons of bikes to dealers that already have too much inventory, bad parts, poor customer service, etc. I own a Texas Chopper that I bought in 2004 to use as a prototype bike for some of our custom parts. It took $20.000 and lots of work to make it a real chopper. We pretty much had to go through the whole bike, including the engine, to make it a safe, good handling motorcycle. I feel bad for those of you who have bought these bikes, myself included, and suggest that you use whatever parts you can from these bikes and build yourself a real chopper, or strip them and sell them for parts because it looks like they are going to be worthless otherwise.

17. 17 BigTooth Mar 23rd, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Troy, get back on your Big Dog and ride off. Be sure you have a towing trailer close by tho because you gonna need one.

18. 18 Kiwi Mike Tomas Mar 23rd, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I don’t like to see any American Motorcycle company fail as it does not bode well for us who do build great products.
    I know for me I am dedicated to he Indian brand for 30 years now and I have seen many attempts to resurrect the name which have all ended in failure. For me I take it personally and it directly hurts my business as yet once again I have to explain. Seems like I’m guilty by association when I have no association. I just find that so much in our industry is not thought out with a long term vision and things wind up bad for everyone. There are no get rich schemes and the m/c industry is not one of them, not that I’m saying AIH is because I have not followed them. Now on the other hand, the Gilroy Indian was totally out of control and I was surprised it went as long as it did.
    Let’s look to the long term in what we do and not the short term as everyone becomes a looser when thing fail, the suppliers, employees, etc. One has to feel sorry about the hit they have to take.
    Mike Kiwi Tomas
    Kiwi Indian MotorCycle Co

19. 19 burnout Mar 23rd, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I’m with you Mike. also there HAS to be solid customer service from the beginning. When customer service drops off (manufacturer to dealer, dealer to bike owner) we all suffer greatly. Those of us who care anyway! peace

20. 20 Mar 24th, 2008 at 8:46 am

blue sky rider
    Mar 23rd, 2008 at 10:57 am

Blue Sky Rider, if you only knew or is seems you already do!

21. 21 MIKE HANLON Mar 26th, 2008 at 9:59 am

22. 22 B Rock Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:44 am

BDM is still alive an kicking, tho arent they?

23. 23 Fastlane Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:59 am

The insiders have it RIGHT! The management (Good ol boy) team has DESTROYED a great horse! A recent team of un-qualified super ego’s has hammered the last nail in the coffin!Don’t miss understand, the preveous team was just as BAD, and the one before that!!! The management team and a certain financial institution has taken taken dealers and consumers on a very costly ride.

Everyone has lost and will continue looseing (exept maybe the slaughter house management team and institution) as the financial domino effect has only begun!

24. 24 j Mar 26th, 2008 at 11:39 am

Big Dog is still alive!
    The next question is what about the poor AIH poor dealers that have 20+ bikes on their floors?
    It’s time to find aftermarket parts for those poor customers. Dealers, do your best to serve your AIH customers, just like the poor Titan customers! There needs to be a plan to help dealers survive when manufacturers fail! The slaughter house will be Textron!

25. 25 Biker Bob Mar 26th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Same story different motorcycle company, you ole boys hit the nail on the head when you describe the favoritism from manufacturer to dealer ” certain ones ‘ and the rest can go to hell in a hand basket. All the lies and carefully worded documents to keep a dealer hanging on till they ( AIH ) can get their collective asses under a safe way out. They’ll come out smelling like a rose and the dealer with 20 plus bikes still on his floor will take it up the ass. Trust me, they have no problem sleeping at night. I was one of the dealers early on, things went bad, Rucker and Edmondson sold out while the getting was good. There was a time that American Ironhorse Motorcycle Company was the company to be a dealer for, the american dream looked like an attainable goal with them. I am sorry to see this happening to AIH or any custom bike company, ” Cookie Cutter ” or not, it gives customs a black eye with the Insurance companys, lending institutions for customers as well as dealers. It makes it just that much harder for an up an coming company to get off the ground.
    Isen’t it a shame that a hand full of people can ruin so many peoples hopes and dreams, cause so much financial hardship and then walk away, unscathed.

26. 26 BillytheKid Mar 26th, 2008 at 5:17 pm

You have no idea how correct you are by posting “they have no problem sleeping at night”, I can grant you they DON’T have any problems sleeping. It’s so easy to be caught up in the emotional aspect of it all, but the real shame of it is the bull&*$ the dealers,customers,investors AND the MC industry itself are left with. There was a time that I wore the AIH shirt as part of my career, but the more I understood the inner workings of the company the more EMBARRASSED I was to wear the AIH name. Without personally attacking an individual person/persons let’s just say this, what ever lie you can make up,what ever unethical business deal you can make, it’s probably been done by this company.
    (for the record, my departure was not due to layoff or firing, it was the good ole’ fashion walkout w/ the 1 finger salute held high)

27. 27 Icy Mar 26th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Ride a Bourget . It’s no Dog and Pony Show.

28. 28 Fastlane Mar 27th, 2008 at 10:52 am

Ride a Bourget….. Are you serious?

At best they make great helmet stands !

29. 29 Checker Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:23 am

Bourget bikes have always been for posers and rednecks who love jet ski paint jobs.

30. 30 X2FORME Mar 27th, 2008 at 11:41 am

So much sh** talking! I come on the Cyril Huze Blog to get info related to the m/c manufacturing industry. No one wants to read bull crap from ex-employees who obviously have a problem with keeping a job. It sounds like you need to get out and ride and stop being a b*tch!

31. 31 BillytheKid Mar 27th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Definition of BLOG: Short for “Web log,” a specialized site that allows an individual or group of individuals to share a running log of events and personal insights with online audiences.
    Thanks for YOUR input.

32. 32 j Mar 27th, 2008 at 5:47 pm

This site is very helpful to those of us who can’t get the truth out of a manuafacturer!!!
    The poor dealers stuck with 20 bikes will be eating dust for AIH
    Thanks Cyril!

33. 33 Icy Mar 28th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Mar 27th, 2008 at 10:52 am
    Ride a Bourget….. Are you serious?

At best they make great helmet stands !

So Fastlane,
    I take it that that you are a ex-employee too. And Checker, you don’t know anything unless someone tells you something.

34. 34 steve May 21st, 2008 at 11:11 pm

i am fucked, I got a good price in Sturgis on a Tx Chopper abd now I have a payment and no tech support, no parts- aftermerket ones are scarce, and warrenty is shit. I should have stuck with my first instinct but the bells and whistles got to me and now I am screwed. I am now going to trade it for an institution and dealer on every corner harley. oh well live and learn. anyone want a deal on a tx chopper? LOL

oh by the way, I dont have any velvet or flowered shirts. I guess I should have thought about that BEFORE I bought this bike

35. 35 Rainbow Warrior May 22nd, 2008 at 1:10 am

A sign of a bad economy!!

36. 36 WILLY G Jul 13th, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I ride a 2001 AIH. Now going thru 32,000 miles. Just rode it on a trip last week 1279 miles. Damn bike runs like a scalded dog, and has only let me down ONCE. You all can say what you want, but I’ve got a DAMN GOOD AMERICAN IRONHORSE!

By the way, the ladies LOVE it too!!!!!

OH, you Harley dudes that don’t want to acknowledge anyone that’s not on a “HARLEY”, Shame on you.

I went from a Harley want-to-be (my Suzuki 1400 intruder) to what HARLEYS WANT-TO-BE with my AIH.

37. 37 geo Aug 3rd, 2008 at 6:51 pm

RE: Steve. Don’t feel bad steve. I was foolish enough to disregard my gut feeings and buy a $49,999.00 texas chopper 10 year anniversary edition. Dam, what a piece of Junk !!!! Spent more time on a lift than on the road.

38. 38 Hopper Sep 13th, 2008 at 11:53 am

Harley this, Harley that, face-up_There’s a reason ALL BIKES ARE COMPARED TO HARLEY! We’ll
    see if the AIH, (American Imitation Harley), can survive bankruptcy like Harley did. WillyG your namesake would never forgive you for your anti-Harley attitude. Face it “wanna-be Harley riders” nobody envies your cheap-looking Harley copies, the real bikers are loyal to the number one and they
    laugh at your “self-convincing” logic. Step-up to reality, Harley rules!