Big Bear Choppers Recalls

Big Bear Choppers is recalling a potential of 351 units of MY 004-2005 "Venom" and "Devil’s Advocates" Choppers and MY 2005 "Sled" Choppers. Some motorcycles may have inadequate weld penetration between the neck, backbone and downtubes of the frame. High loads created when riding on rough road surfaces, structural modification made to the frame by owners, and/or failure to maintain the specified torque setting of the top motor mount may cause the affected welds to crack. Consequence: the welded area could break without warning, resulting in neck separation and front-end collapse. This could result in a crash. The recall began on March 26, 08. Owners may contact Big Bear Choppers at 909-878-4340.

116 Responses to “Big Bear Choppers Recalls”

1. 1 joe Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:42 pm

there are more recalls on the way..now 2006 models that were built in 05 are being recalled…ck the nhsta website for more info,,,,,, keeps getting worse !!!

2. 2 DiGGerDon Sep 21st, 2008 at 3:48 am

Anyone wanting to dump there “suicide ” BDC bike, contact me…

3. 3 KrazyOtto Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

OK….Here are some “FACTS” about BBC.
    I am an owner of one of the piece of crap bikes in the recall.
    I bought mine second hand and I should of followed my instincts ,but I didnt and its been a nightmare ever since.
    BBC is claiming that the welds are being ground down and thats the reason for the failers.
    I’m the second owner so I cant say for a fact mine wasnt ,but I doubt very seriously they are telling the truth only because I have been dealing with these guys for months now and they are shady to say the least.
    I am a certified structual welder and when I was at my school getting certified I saw a job listing for BBC and they werent requiring certification.
    I guess if I was going to lose my ass in lawsuits I’d make that claim too, but if that were the case why are they recalling 3 models of one year….one reason might be they outsourced alot of of their frames that year and who knows who did that work.
    I know this because one of the guys there told me that was why my bike had that problem.
    I wanedt to see the name and certification number of the welder who fixed the recall and they wouldnt give it to me…… “RED FLAG”.
    I have little faith in BBC workmanship period ,becuase this isnt the only problem this my bike has had.
    I had a tank mounting bung crack and spring a leak which BBC fixed ,but I had to repaint it.
    I had my recall work done ,but they screwed up the bike when they put it together by mounting the tank on the wiring harness so when I u-turned my bike to put it in my garage my turn signals had the wires yank back and out.
    They also mis-directed my fuel line over the top of my enrichener knob crimping the fuel line blocking off my enrichener knob and cause the line to leak.
    I have an external fuel filter and they lost the internal gasket so they used teflon tape to seal the thread instead > < .
    I sent it back and things got worse they chipped my tank and my frame and left the finish work up to their painter.
    I still havent got the bike back and I have lost about 4 months of riding for something that should have taken 2 weeks .
    I talked to some of the locals at a bike shop on Big Bear and they say that BBC hire and fire continually which shows me they are unstable and unreliable, besides the fact I have had nothing but a nightmare dealing with them.
    I truly feel sorry for any of you that are out of California ,because I live down the mountain from them and if I had to endure this much crap you are in for a fight.
    They arent paying to shipping cost , its up to you to get it to them and if the dealers arent touching them you are truly screwed.
    If there is anyone out there who is a Lawyer and would like to help file a class action or just is a owner interested in filing a class action against these guys let me know.
    Call me Steve 714-270-3540
    BUY HARLEY they back their bikes!

4. 4 Bobfather Jan 14th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

I think Attention is the only one that addresses the real issue here. BBC has a fucked up design on their frames, always have as far as I know. Replacing the frame would be a start but they should replace it with a frame that is actually designed by someone who knows what the hell they’re doing. I actually foresaw this issue when I saw they labeled their springer as For Show Use Only, not intended for highway use. WTF is that about? Their weld penetration may be crappy too but their design is completely wrong.

5. 5 bigmph Jan 20th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I have an 07 big bear sled prostreet has anyone had any weld issues could they also have a problem?

6. 6 bigmph Jan 20th, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I have an 07 big bear sled prostreet does it also have weld issues?

7. 7 antiBBC Jan 23rd, 2009 at 4:37 pm

bigmph, from what I read in the Club Chopper Forum, the Prostreets were also included after the original issue. You may want to check it out.

8. 8 Mike Ashton Mar 12th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Not to change the subject,but I am a owner of BBC [2007 sled} Anything I shoud be concern about?
    I noticed my rear fender is not centered with 300 tire.Did my swing arm shift? I had trouble with my pop up gas cap.It seized,and took me 3 hours to loosen it,then another half hour to twist it off.Please if you are a BBC hater,don’t blog me to death why you hate them,and why I shouldn’t own a BBC.I really like this bike,but want to know more from other owners…

9. 9 Mike McCrakin Mar 14th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I have a BBC 2006 Venon Pro Street, which the neck stops gave out and struck the tank, damaging it. I called BBC and they had me take it to my dealer, which was worthless,
    They needed up replacing the entire neck assembly , welding a plate to neck,
    and sending bike back to BBC for repainting . When I recived it back, I sold it,
    I do not trust the assembly of the bike, with possibilities of frame failure whilre riding it.
    I went out and bought a new Harley Bones, at least they are tested. Thanks Mike

10. 10 luckymike May 3rd, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I own a 2006 BBC Screamin Demon and the list of issues I have had with this bike is endless. 50 miles after leaving the dealer the bike vaporlocked, I called the dealer and was told to leave the cap loose. The cap doesn’t remain with the bike long when it’s loose, lost it and paid 80 bucks for a new one which I had a machine shop vent.
    At 150 miles the ignition switch went out, fixed under warranty.
    At 200 miles the seat bracket broke just behind the hinge point tearing up the seat and providing some unwanted excitement on the freeway. Pivot bolt was locked down so tight the bracket wouldn’t swing. Not a warranty item.
    At 300 miles the battery bounced up and shorted everything out when it hit the seat springs. Dealer said battery was installed backwards from factory and electronics weren’t covered. $150 bucks.
    750 miles the paint started coming off the gas tank around the filler neck. Fixed under warranty.
    1250 miles the paint cracked on the oil tank, repainted under warranty but the wrong color.
    2200 miles the bolts holding the left turn signal and fender broke off and the turn signal ended up in the spokes. the bolt holes are wlded shut on the inside allowing app 5 threads of penetration into the fender. Dealer is now out of biz so i did the repair myself.
    Today, 2340 total miles on the bike and the mounts broke off the oil tank. Rubber mounts intact…. all bolts tight.
    This bike has set most of it’s life with some part or another broken. Beautiful bike, mechanicly it is great. But seriously, the workmanship is sad.

11. 11 Jim Sep 17th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Anybody that buys a big bear crapper is stupid. I finally offed mine. Because the stupid amount big bear assholes we offering to fix their problem was insane. Have you ever looked at one the built at their shop? Looks like shit! Welds are slop wiring shows everywhere, or they paint the wiring maybe thats there idea of hiding it. O and have fun trying to get them to replace a defective part like a gas cap. Do your self a favor don’t waste your money on a big bear POS!

12. 12 Lightnin'Larry Jan 12th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

On April 20, 2008 joe wrote
    “Well even the weld penetration is an isolated problem. The people who have had theres fixed already say that the certified welder who did the repair confirmed that the weld on there bikes was perfect. “lightening larry’ did wheelies all the time with his 124. crashed his bike and never inspected it afterwards, asked bbc for 375,000.00 for damages and when they would not pay him, he brought all this up. of course leaving out most of the details. read his posts back to feb of 07 on clubchopper.com.he built his bike, drilling holes in the frame right by the top motor mount.”

I just found this thread today and being the person that this ‘joe” is talking about I’d be very interested to know how he seems to know so much about me???? And for the record with 1152 bikes in recall and 5 neck separations that pretty much proves that the weld penetration is far from an isolated problem! Not only did I never do a “wheelie” on my BBC I have never done a wheelie on any motorcycle I have ever owned so I wonder who is feeding him this info? Also the “crash” was at 5-8mph on the soft shoulder of the road and only scratched the paint on the front fender and slightly deformed the air filter and Kevin Alsop himself did inspect the bike about an hour after it happened! I did ask for 375,000 in damages however I did not, as joe states; bring it all up after BBC refused to pay. The NHTSA had already been notified of the situation prior to my Letter of Demand to BBC. It was the NHTSA that suggested that I go on line to discover if any other BBC owners had a failure like mine. Yes I did drill two holes in the frame for wiring, so what; holes in the frame have no effect on weld integrity whatsoever. If the holes were to cause any type of frame integrity issue the frame would have broken where the holes were drilled. Joe you sure seem to know a lot about me having never met me or even seen my bike before. Before you go shooting of your mouth Joe you may want to get your facts straight!

13. 13 Brian Sep 24th, 2010 at 11:00 am

Big bear choppers suck and the customer service is worse, i bought one two years ago and i am still waiting on parts to replace the faulty ones it came with. The worst investment I made in my life

14. 14 Karl Oct 18th, 2010 at 11:12 am

I also have a BBC Venom Prostreet that was affected by the recall. I have had no issues with my bike. It has been a great motorcycle. Greg at Proven Performance did a great job on my recall and I want to give him props for that. The welds on my bike were perfectly fine before the recall work was done. I left the welds alone when I built the bike. I was not one of the idiots that ground down the welds before building the bike. Just like any other motorcycle, if you take care of your bike and don’t do stupid things with it, it should perform well for many years.

15. 15 Bart Dec 14th, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Out of 1152 in the recall, Karl seems to be the lucky one and the only not “idiot”. All these other guys supposedly grounded on their welds and caused their bikes to fail, or almost fail on them, and all of them must be idiots. Come on!!!!! There is an NHTSA recall, are they idiots, too? Everyone must be an idiot except for you and Kevin.

16. 16 M. Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

More problems ahead, I had a catastrophic steering failure when my 2009 Sled refused to turn right and then would not turn back right without a lot of hand pressure. Apparently some inner part of their lower triple tree has failed as i was told by a certified dealer.

No worries. they are out of business!!!!!!

x