Harley-Davidson CEO Got Paid $4.1M For 2007

The chief executive officer of Harley-Davidson Inc. received compensation last year that the motorcycle maker valued at almost $4.1 million, a drop of nearly 4 percent from the previous year, according to a regulatory filing last Tuesday. James L. Ziemer, 58, who has been president and CEO since 2005, received no money under a non equity incentive plan. In 2006, he received $989,461 under that plan. The company said in the filing that no executives received bonuses because they did not meet performance incentive targets. The company’s profit fell about 10 percent in 2007.  Ziemer has called the retail environment "challenging" for this year. The company expects moderate growth in both earnings per share and revenue, however. Analysts expected slightly lower revenue and higher earnings in 2008. The company is due to announce first quarter earnings on April 17.  Harley-Davidson.

6 Responses to “Harley-Davidson CEO Got Paid $4.1M For 2007”

1. 1 J Apr 5th, 2008 at 7:34 pm

2. 2 saorijohn Apr 6th, 2008 at 11:18 am

I think the only growth HD can expect will be from overseas markets.

3. 3 Rodent Apr 6th, 2008 at 7:04 pm

And he’s worth every nickle of it(I lie)

4. 4 Mr. Motorcycle Apr 7th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Hey saorijohn,

Regarding overseas markets. Are you talking selling, buying, or outsourcing.

I bet more than half of my Harley stuff has been replace with non-OEM. (Some from overseas).

Sad but true story… I do joke though that the last “Genuine Harley Davidson” part I bought was a chrome banjo, and it stated Genuine Harley Davidson Parts” on the front side of the bag, and said made in Taiwan on the back. So much for made in America. Maybe assembled in America. Then again, so is Toyota, Etc..

Please don’t get me wrong. I got a Harley and I do love it.

5. 5 T Apr 9th, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Hey J and Rodent,

Jim Ziemer got his start pushing broom and running a elevator at
    Harley-Davidson at a very young age, I’m guessing before you started riding. He is one American CEO who started at the bottom.

Along with that, less than 10% of all parts used on a Harley come from overseas. There are alot of hard working men and women building bikes here in the US for all of us that are not talented with a gas wrench.

Yea, I wish everything made was made here, but thats just not possible. Time, Money, Material, Schedules and Man Power are all
    part of the equation.

Yea, most of the accessories are made overseas due to the things just mentioned. But that is the reality of “we want it now and at the cheapest price”.

Just take a good look at at custom bike, which includes some great one off pieces but also some off the chart pricing. Don’t get me wrong I would love to own one, but I will have to wait a bit before my ship raises from the bottom and comes in.

6. 6 Buck Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I think HD is definately feeling pressure from alot of the overseas manufacturers now. At one time if it wasn’t a Harley, it’d get kicked over parked on the side of the road. The metrics are exceeding quality and performance of most everything HD builds, and that is definately having an effect on overall sales as a new generation of riders is taking to the road. Hopefully HD, the father of all cruisers doesn’t wait too long to embrace some “new” technologies like liquid cooling for the touring series and a transition to OHC. Some people may think that stuff like that would dilute the brand, but then again showa has been making forks for them for decades, Brembo is now available as a factory brake system and all the TC engines have a two pin crankshaft(sound like lawnmowers compared to an EVO or a shovelhead). I’d really hate to see another time for Harley like the dark “AMF years” was for them, but sadly it appears that is exactly what lies ahead unless Willy G. snaps out of a 1971 headspace.