Rolling Thunder Custom Motorcycle Frames

During these last weeks you commented a lot about frame welding and integrity. When talking about quality frames, you even mentioned Rolling Thunder Manufacturing as an example of a company producing strong and reliable frames. They use CMM which stands for “Coordinate Measuring Machine” , to verify that all of their products are accurate within 0.0005 of an inch. Rolling Thunder is a leader in the custom frame building motorcycle after- market and they offer dozens of options allowing you to uniquely customize the frame you want. On their website you can “build” your frame by type of engine, size of rear wheel, motor style, downtube and backbone stretch/bends, tube and axle diameter and even neck style. Quite unique in the industry. They also offer a wide assortment of accessories including oil tanks, handlebars, fender struts and a very cool Springer front end. All bases are covered. I found this little clip to give you an idea about the company, and if you are looking for a custom frame for your next build , I recommend you pay them an online visit. Rolling Thunder Frames.

13 Responses to “Rolling Thunder Custom Motorcycle Frames”

1. 1 Nicker Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:49 pm

So, on -line frames built to order…..Cool!

Went to the web site, Interesting.
    Looks like a modern Mfg. business model.
    But where are the Mfg. Certifications…. (ISO-900 .. etc)?
    Couldn’t find any references on the web site.

2. 2 Mike Tokson Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:47 am

Built a bike 2 years ago with a Rolling Thunder rigid frame. Had no problem with engine/trans alignment. Had a bad experience before with a frame sold by Custom Chrome. Was it made in Mexico or China?

3. 3 Mike Apr 21st, 2008 at 10:15 am

We have a shop bike with a Rolling Thunder frame. Let me tell you it is top notch! I know both Sam and Skeeter personally and I guarantee they care abou tthe work they do!

4. 4 jspfc Apr 21st, 2008 at 11:54 am

I am building my first bike and decided to use a Rolling Thunder Frame, and as previously said on the thread, I had no issues with everything lining up perfectly. These guys are great. They know what they are doing, care about what they are doing, and their customer service is one of the best I have ever seen. Like I told Sam, in this day and age when most businesses only care about the bottom line, it was refreshing to have a company respond to any and all questions in such a timely manner.

Just a quick example, I had a problem with my rear swing arm and asked a question on a Friday morning, Sam got back to me that afternoon and called me at 6:30 pm that Friday night to help resolve the issue. Most people would have put that on the “to do list” for Monday(maybe) and here Sam was working on it that Friday night.

If I build another bike, I wouldnt use anyone other than Rolling Thunder.

5. 5 Bruce Asauer Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Heard from my dealer good things about this frame manufacture. Told me, not cheap but top quality.

6. 6 AnARchy MoCo Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:47 pm

In these times of questionable craftsmanship, it is good to see someone is still bringing quality parts to the industry. For example of some welding tips to look for on a frame, check out (

7. 7 Matt Flynn Apr 21st, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I began my first custom build 2 years ago,it had been a dream for ever.I did research on frames and engins for months.Qualty is my business as custom prosthetics is my profession and when I read an article on frames 101 it took me to Rolling Thunder.What I didn’t plan was the support would last the entire build and consults began almost every friday with Sam.I not only bought the best custom softail and springer front end but like the verizon commercial says an entire team came with it.It is my opinion that in todays market you can’t afford not to buy quality and support like Rolling Thunder.My personal results were more than I ever expected the finished bike is a true show piece and like any good art work it’s nothing without the proper FRAME!!!!!!

8. 8 rat Apr 22nd, 2008 at 5:13 pm

If you ask me to built a bike and if you dont want me to use a rolling thunder frame, we kick your ass for sure

9. 9 Tom Goodrich Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I dig this blog every day. Always cool stuff and thoughts by true bikers. Thanks Cyril.

10. 10 Dave Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I’m a little confused I thought Rolling Thunder was the group that has been planning for a couple years to build a “Crazy Horse” Motorcycle?

11. 11 ray Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I bought a Rolling Thunder frame and decided my rake was too radical for what I ‘evolved’ into wanting to do. My choice was do something else or get another frame. I didn’t think twice and ordered my SECOND frame from Rolling Thunder with the correct rake. Although they indicated they’d help me unload the original frame, I thought it fair that since it was my mistake, I’d take care of it. It seemed like the right thing to do…because after all…I couldn’t point to a single thing on the frame that wasn’t perfection or exactly what I asked for.

Their frames are work of art. I’ve seen frames you put motors in and spend hours shimming. Both frames…both motors…slipped in like grease with absolutely no requirement for adjustment. (Give credit to TP Engineering for a flawless motor as well, I guess.)

I can’t speak highly enough of Rolling Thunder.

12. 12 Earl Dec 23rd, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Has anyone purchased and started a build on thier new bagger 250 rsd? Any feedback?

13. 13 mark Feb 5th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I own and operate a machine shop. I also have a rolling thunder frame. No way in hell that the frame is held accurate to .0005 of an inch. Fucking LIARS