2009 Indian Chief Motorcycle. More Details Revealed.

As the launch date draws near (although it is yet to be announced), more details about the renaissance of this iconic American motorcycle brand are being revealed.
1-Dealers: At present, Indian dealers are already staged for opening for Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Minneapolis, and Los Angeles, with an additional 12 applications being processed. Given the ultra premium nature of the Indian Motorcycle brand, Indian will be very selective in judging the quality and number of dealers.  By the end of 2008, it is expected that no more than 30 dealerships will be in place, primarily in top motorcycle markets. Each major market will also have a new stand-alone flagship dealership of about 10,000 square foot. It is likely that these new structures will not be completed until sometime in 2009. 2-Merchandising: The emotional appeal, value and power of the Indian brand will soon result in the launch and merchandising of a high quality line of motorcycle apparel and accessories. Indian Motorcycle Apparel will launch the line this summer. Items will be available for purchase through dealerships, at specialty retail stores and of course on the Indian Motorcycle Website. 3-Strategy: Chairman Stephen Julius, President Steve Heese  and General Manager Chris Bernauer, an eleven-year veteran of Harley-Davidson, reaffirm that the Indian Motorcycle team is maintaining a sharp focus on product development, design and engineering excellence.  VP of Engineering Nick Glaja, a former Principal Engineer of Powertrain Technology at Harley-Davidson and his team have already logged thousands of hours developing, evaluating and refining each and every engineering detail. Rigorous testing continues until each component has proven its durability and performance. Mr. Glaja says “Our goal was quite simple: to focus on the premium nature of this brand and build the finest Indian motorcycle ever. We took a ‘clean sheet’ approach to the engineering of this world class American legend to ensure a solid engineering platform. Benchmarks were set high and we believe our customers will be very happy.”

I remind you that the 2009 Indian Chief features a redesigned 105 cubic inch PowerPlus V-Twin powertrain with electronic closed loop sequential port fuel injection.   A new charging system provides increased capacity for the EFI. Engine cylinders are Nikasil plated, eliminating the need for cast-iron liners. A new crankshaft eliminates “scissoring”.  The exhaust system is a new design with integrated 3-way catalytic converter and heated oxygen sensors.   All body parts are e-coated and the frame and swingarm are e-coated and powder coated for enhanced corrosion protection. A six-speed transmission delivers power through the belt drive to a 16-inch wheel out back. Stopping is achieved via Brembo 4-piston calipers, with 11.5” dual rotors. For 2009, Indian will offer four Chief models: Chief Standard, Chief Deluxe, Chief Roadmaster and Chief Vintage. As befits these limited-edition motorcycles, base prices will range from $30,999 for the Standard to $31,999 for the Deluxe and$33,999 for the Roadmaster to $35,499 for the Chief Vintage. You can see all Chief models at Indian Motorcycle.

62 Responses to “2009 Indian Chief Motorcycle. More Details Revealed.”

1. 1 Terry May 19th, 2008 at 8:02 pm

It answers and contradict all those saying that the new Indian will not be launched and that they have no dealers. Why do people continue to make false statements when they know nothing. I would recommend that everybody trust Cyril. I think he knows a lot and a little bit more.

2. 2 Brandon May 19th, 2008 at 8:13 pm

If the NEW Chief is a very reliable bike with a strong engine and cool details I don’t see why it would not sell at the prices indicated above even in slow market. . I think that what bothers some of the readers is that they cannot afford one. It seems to be a game for some of you to say bad things about everything post 53. It makes no sense. If you want Indian back, accept the idea that you need a new Indian company with new Indian motorcycles not looking like in 53. I think Indian will succeed. I bet that OCC will fail.

3. 3 Hopi May 19th, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I may save to get one. Need to see it running, first

4. 4 jspfc May 19th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Brandon I think your statement,

“I think that what bothers some of the readers is that they cannot afford one.”

is pretty ignorant. I know I said that I think Indian is charging too much because it is my opinion and I wouldn’t buy one even though I can afford it.

Let’s compare it to sunglasses. There are sunglasses out there that cost $50.00 and $500.00. If I won’t buy the one for $500.00 and say I don’t think they will sell, does that mean I can’t afford it.

I think not, it means I don’t think they are worth $500.00 and I wouldn’t buy them. Now you may say, well there are companies out there that have survived by selling $500.00 sunglasses which is true. But that being said you are talking about $500 versus $30,000 which does make it a little tougher decision that yes, not everyone can afford. However, too flat out say everyone who says they are charging too much can’t afford one is pretty ignorant.

5. 5 pop May 20th, 2008 at 6:39 am

I could buy a KM Chief and the spensive shades to go with, but I won’t. You can have won megabucks and then depending on your prioities you might find that you can’t afford the machine. Part of affording is how important something is. When I was 15 I wanted a Sportster this guy asked 500 bucks for. It was harder to figure out how to put a half a yard in one place than anything I have done since. But I wanted it, it was my priority and I made it happen. I learned some lessons for the money too.
    I got my Indian in the shed and I am not interested in owning a new one. To me, it’s too expensive, Somebody else with a different POV will find the money, some are going to pull out the Amex and ride one away, somebody else is going to give up beer and beef to scratch together a down payment. They both can afford one.
    To those that say on the one hand, Man that looks fine and on the other hand too much money I say check the used market. A KM Chief Vintage model is 37k, a five year old Gilroy Chief “Vintage is 15k give or take. You pour 5 or 6k into that Gilroy bottlecap and it will take trophies all day long and put out better than 100 horse at the wheel. KM is going to sell those 750 units in this maodel run. Nobody is required to put up 35 large to own one. If you want to, then have at it. If you want an Indian bad enough you can ride Indian.

6. 6 rodent May 20th, 2008 at 8:10 am

Sunday’s New York Times had a very interesting article about reviving the dead
    “Can a Dead Brand Live Again? ”
    Published: May 18, 2008

7. 7 Thomas May 20th, 2008 at 8:16 am

The new indian chief is a luxury product. Why not? Stellican is in business to make money. It would have been a mistake to make an inferior indian product at a cheap price. They got the right approach after the Gilroy debacle.

8. 8 Bruce May 20th, 2008 at 8:20 am

Rodent. Except that the Indian brand was never dead, never an inferior product. Just bad management. Do you have a link to this NYT article?

9. 9 reality May 20th, 2008 at 9:08 am

Rodent only has opinions, never has facts. and can’t spell worth-a-shirt.

10. 10 Chris Hobbs May 20th, 2008 at 10:53 am

Cyril. Do you know/can you tell us if Indian will be in Sturgis with the Chief?.

11. 11 Johnny Firetire May 20th, 2008 at 11:24 am

Yes they will be in Sturgis. They will be on the corner of 4th & Lazelle – Dodge has been there for the last 4 years, and now Indian will be there (other side of the street from the community center).

On a side note: those $500 glasses would be more affordable at an auction in about 3 years.

12. 12 rodent May 20th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

go to http://www.nyt.com and in the search box enter “Can a Dead Brand Live Again? ”

13. 13 Dan from TheBikerWeb May 20th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Interesting followup. I’ve been keeping an eye on the newest resurrection of Indian since I wrote about it back in May ’07.

But yes, JSPFC is right on about the jerk-perspective that’s out there (not just about Indian, but most anything). The point to remember is that the luxury brands (the 500.00 sunglasses; the $100,000 Mercedes, and so on) are VERY careful about whom they target. They don’t advertise just anywhere, nor do they try to pawn their goods at regular dealerships, etc.

From the moment you walk into a Mercedes dealership, you’re aware that it isn’t a GM or Hyundai shop (the folks that target regular Joes).

Indian has to get it right this time. Especially if they’re selling what looks like a luxury brand (or is at least priced to be one). It’s difficult to launch a new company in even the best of times, but with the current economic situation, they’ve got to be REALLY careful that they get everything right. There’s very little margin for error…

14. 14 J May 20th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I agree, price point is key, and I stll maintain that Stellican is setting the price maybe a hair too low, not too high. For the minimal number of bikes that Indian looks to produce, this is a boutique bike, not a direct competitor to Harley, and should be priced more in line with Borget, et al.

Nice to see that Indian is making fundamental improvements to the bike- the closed-loop injection is very interesting- Harley is behind the curve there.

15. 15 Pop May 20th, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I try to post but it doesn’t happen. Is it technoglitchery or is Cyril trying to tell Pop something?
    Try again.
    Dan, Indian isn’t Oakley or Mercedes. It’s a bona fide stand alone American Iconic brand. It’s woven into a century plus of riding lore and KM shouldn’t, really they can’t hide it’s light under a bushel. When I ride my Chief anywhere the questions are always about whether they are making them again. It’s time for that question to be put to rest. People, particularly American riders, have deep sentiments about Indian. Attempts to lazer focus the pitch to the well heeled is just going to reinforce existing whining by the flatearthers that want to write the legend off as dead.
    I agree with targeting peeps with a far chunk of change for this run of the bike. Soft economy, the phat have the coin while Joe Sixpack is budgeting for a tank of gas.
    In this market, the well off can buy when others can’t but…

Oakley makes throwaways they sell for 20 bucks and Mercedes makes 29k cars that can fit in many American garages just fine. Sooner or later KM has to connect with Joe Sixpack at some level. Not now maybe, but the sooner the better. After all Joe Sixpack is finding a way to drop 30 plus on Screamin Eagles, so it can be done.

16. 16 John White May 20th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

All these dealerships will need bikes, parts, and sales and service people. They will need factory support. That support will take millions of dollars and a bit more than 30 people.

I understand the bar has been lowered to under a million dollars to secure a dealership and that is far less than the initial four million target. I wonder what bank is going to provide flooring funds for a single model with no track record. Opps! Simple business 101 questions sometimes sound negative so please forgive me for asking.

Sooner or later someone somewhere will need to deliver bikes to all these new dealerships. If all this really happens in 2009 then I will be very impressed. God knows we all have been waiting a long, long time for some action.

Long Live Indian

17. 17 Neil Carter May 20th, 2008 at 9:26 pm

I follow the comments about Indian and don’t understand people who make negative comments. They don’t have a bike, it doesn’t run, they have no dealers, they will no launch, etc. All these statements are already proven wrong. So, why do people who are bikers don’t applaud the efforts made by a new company trying to put back Indians on the road?

18. 18 jspfc May 20th, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Just because there is a new company running Indian and it apparently is going to sell some bikes, why does everyone have to love everything that they are doing? Why can the decisions being made not be questioned? The majority of the people on here might not be the ones who are going to own dealerships or even new Indians, but like I said in a previous post, with all the traffic that Cyril has on this site, I haven’t seen many people on here say, “I am going to go buy the New Indian when it comes out.” In addition, I think a lot of the questions posed are legit, what about service, what about warranty, what about repair, etc.? Right now the, “Buy one and we will prove it.”, just doesn’t work.(especially with a $30k initial investment.)

Now maybe the doctors, lawyers, movie stars, celebrities, etc, don’t participate on this site or don’t comment, but with the current price, I would assume that is their target. So where is this exclusive crowd who is going to buy the bike? Why don’t they comment?

19. 19 BOBCAT May 21st, 2008 at 12:04 am

I had just got home from IRIP V Had a blast And I got to sit on a 09 Indian Chief I tell you, I don’t have the money at this time I am P.W.B.T.< but after talking with the guys who brought the bikes down I can only dream and drool.

The bikes are perfectly balanced that even I can pick one up with hardley any effort. The new motors are 105ci The Bike has Dual Front Disk Brakes, One piece gas tank, improoved handlbar switches, smaller handlebars Great sounding engine.

I currently have 2 Indians a Chief and a Scout but as I pointed out to the reps of Indian. I need a Rubber-mounted Engine because of health issues. And perhaps when they meet my needs I will buy one, but till then … Sorry I’ll ride my Rubber-mounted 07 XL1200L Stage II which is a whole lot faster.

20. 20 John White May 21st, 2008 at 12:28 am

Harley is secretly controlling this whole smoke and mirrors saga called the re-birth of Indian. There is a double agent in the building and his name is Chris. Quick! Replace him with someone that lives and breathes and rides Indian and has no love for Harley.

21. 21 Tony May 21st, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I bet on a Harley type warranty. There are cars, houses, boats, motorcycles for all types of clients with very different income. To sell 750 bikes the 1st year at $35,000 a pop should be fairly easy

22. 22 tom mcdermott May 21st, 2008 at 6:21 pm

30000.00 NO WAY

23. 23 RF May 21st, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Let’s welcome the rebirth of Indian, and at least see what their product is like before the bashing begins. Selling 750 a year, even at $31K , should be no problem. Keep in mind that they need to start small and make each bike profitable to build the business. Once sales increase and new models come out, economies of scale should take over, allowing the company to build the bikes more cheaply, thereby increasing profits and cost savings for their customers. Don’t expect any ground-breaking innovations from a brand new company until they have time to get off the ground.
    A Scout for $20,000 would go a long way towards building sales, and is probably next up on the design board. But in the long run, quality and customer service should be the focus, because these issues are a big part of what ultimately killed off the Gilroy Indians. So far, Stellican seems to be taking the right approach. I don’t care how long the bikes take to come out; if the quality is there, Indians will be cruising the roads of America for the foreseeable future.

24. 24 BOBCAT May 22nd, 2008 at 4:20 am

I agree with RF Let’s welcome the rebirth of Indian That is what we should be doing. From my understanding Indian will be making another Scout in the future. But the Chief is their flagship. Everyone recoizes a Chief from the elderly to our age. Either you are for Indian or agaigst Indian. I am for Indian. My Daddy rode one.

I agree that 31k is very expensive but I had seen the bike. I threw a leg over the new bike and I tell you… It makes the Gilroys seem like old technology. Sorry but it’s true The improovments are like night and day.

I would if I could afford it take one. I hope they would build my dream Chief with a rubber mount.

I do have one beef with Indian and that is they on three of the modles put short fenders on them, which IMPO makes it a SPIRIT , not a Chief. Chief has full fenders but hey you can have them put on the bikes for an extra $500. The Gilroy fenders wont fit because of the fact the bikes have Dual disk brakes.

In the long run I truly believe that Indian Chiefs will be more affordable for people like me. Yes they are in the buisness to make money.

25. 25 KC Cheef May 23rd, 2008 at 8:44 am

Enough talk.

Show me a COMPLETE motorcycle ready to hit the showroom floor.
    Wait–on second thought — show me a showroom-or a dealership-hell at this point I’d be satisfied with a T-shirt.

I saw the bikes in Branson.
    Nope–They have a Jappish look to them.

As for the $31k?
    I used their website to put together their version of the Vintage.
    Decked it out like a Vintage should be decked out–meaning fully loaded with all the options.
    $39k–not $31k—big difference there.
    No matter though–the web site has been revised and the price list is gone.

Hey Bobcat–as far as either being for or against Indian?
    Nope–too many versions out there–and too broad a statement.

I am definitely pro Indian–just not sold on the Stellican vision of Indian.

26. 26 Brad May 23rd, 2008 at 9:06 am

Kc Cheef,

1- “Show me a COMPLETE motorcycle ready to hit the showroom floor”. Why are you so impatient? I really think it’s coming..

2- “the web site has been revised and the price list is gone”. Buy yourself a pair of reading Indian goggles because I just checked and all prices and option prices are listed in the Indian website. They were not removed!!!

3- “A jappish look”???? You must never have seen a jap bike. LOL.

You are a very good example of objectivity!!!!! What is your objective?

27. 27 RF May 23rd, 2008 at 9:40 am

KC Cheef:
    I don’t care if we have to wait until 2012 for the bikes, as long as they are engineered and built with quality. Can you imagine boards like this as soon as the first known problems develop (like with the Gilroy Indians)? Indian will once again be torn apart by posters ridiculing both the quality and the price. I also have to disagree about the “Jappish look”. They look great to me.

28. 28 Dan from TheBikerWeb May 23rd, 2008 at 9:50 am

@ Pop

Hmm… Same thing happened to me!?! I posted a comment back to you about a day and a half ago, but it apparently never showed up… I just came back to see if you replied, but I see my comment never got through for some reason… Something must be wrong with Cyril’s blog comment system.

(FYI to the webmaster, 2 of us have independently reported probs, might be worth a checkup on your end.)

Anyway, my reply was that I definitely agree with your point about needing to target Joe Sixpack at some point in the future.

However, there isn’t anything inherently wrong with being a luxury brand. Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche have about a century of history, lore and desire attached to each marque as well. And they’ve spent the majority of their existence in the luxury arena (out of the reach of Joes like us). They’ve really embraced that status too, and it’s served them well. They’ve very careful about how the position themselves in the market, and are very particular about what it takes to become a dealer. Lowering the bar to be an Indian dealer may not be the best idea — if you’re going to be selling a luxury product ($30k for what banks still consider to be a recreational vehicle automatically puts that product in the luxury category), the whole customer experience has to fit in with that.

29. 29 power stroke May 23rd, 2008 at 10:51 am

John and Ed,

Please pull your head head out of your ass, it’s embarassing. Your comments and obsevations are purely academic at this point, IMI is building Indian Chiefs, and soon to follow will be other models. The sooner you realize and accept this fact the sooner that monkey will be off your back.

John, it used to be Stellican will never build a motorcycle, now it’s they will not build more than 24, and there is a spy in house, etc,etc.
    You are amazingly pathetic, and I thank god every day you are not running Indian Motorcycle, if for no other reason than comments like (and I paraphrase) putting glue on your genetals, feathering them and running through the streets of S.F naked, or castrating yourself and placing your penis in your ass,etc; if Indian builds 750 motorcycles by next April.

These all strike me as statements made by a man with serious mental health issues, not a stable corporate titan.

I have to wonder if the companys or countries you do business with or in would continue to do so if they read comments like this from you.

Ed, the best you can come with is they look jappish to you? Please, the Kings Mountain and Gilroy Chief are virtually identical in appearence,I would bet from 20 feet away no one would be able to tell the difference.

Are you sure you did not see an Indianized Drifter or Nomad?

30. 30 Vintage62 May 23rd, 2008 at 11:50 am

FWIW, I had a post disappear from one of the other threads on Indian on this blog as well as one from this thread. No sense going into the post again, PowerStroke, Pop and others have covered the bases pretty well.

As far as KC’s view of the new bikes at Branson, as usual he’s full of schitt. I sat on one, listened to one of them run, saw one on the road to Eureka Springs. Like PS says, from 20 feet ya gotta look twice. There’s so many different coil covers and breathers on the different Gilroys, one would not be sure what one is looking at because those are the two items that jump out as different. The 105 on the breather is one quick discernment.

Hey KC, you kept sayin’, “see ya at Branson”. I was there 5 days, coupla folks said you were in the vicinity, still hadn’t seen ya.

31. 31 Webmaster May 23rd, 2008 at 11:59 am

We have checked the problem and can’t find the reason why a couple of comments didn’t show up.
    We use a spam filter and it’s possible that some legitimate comments are caught in it.
    We can see the list of spams but we receive several hundreds every day. So, it’s difficult to check them 1 per 1.
    If you don’t see one of your comments appear online after a maximum of 1 minute after you posted it, please email us immediately. We will check the spam folder and de-spam your comment if we find it there..
    Thank you for your understanding and participation to Cyril’s Blog.

32. 32 Greg May 23rd, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Long live Indian, pre and post 1953.

33. 33 KC Cheef May 23rd, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Hey Brad.
    SORRY–but I checked Thursday–nope–price list was gone.
    Might be back up now.
    Hey PS.
    I stopped in Branson and looked the 3 prototypes over.
    I was about 50 feet away in the street.
    SORRY–you can spot those KM bikes EASILY.
    Jap dash, and Harley primary, less than manly handle bars.
    Come on Stroker–you know better than that.
    That ugly ass HD looking Primary cover is a disgrace–dude you can see that from a BLOCK away!!!
    Nothing like modern digital instruments on a Retro theme bike to screw up the look.
    And those Victory Vision wannabe turn signal indicators?
    What’s up with that?
    And — that harley ignition switch front and center on the dash?
    What a joke.

Damn Power Stroker!!
    I thought you and Scotty were the Gilroy Gurus, and your trying to tell folks these bikes look like ours?

Maybe you should have gone to Branson and drank the factories Kool aid.
    What flavor did they serve by the way?
    Talk about projecting a professional image?
    You Tube and My SPace advertising and introducing the ICONIC INDIAN MOTORCYCLE at a 50 year old motel in on a black top parking lot in Branson Missouri in front of a hand picked crowd of Kool Aid drinkers–that’s some funny s–t right there.

34. 34 Greg May 23rd, 2008 at 5:09 pm

KC Cheef. You have very bad taste. The new Chief is a gorgeous bike. You are out of you mind.

35. 35 Power Stroke May 23rd, 2008 at 8:04 pm

How come no closer than 50 ft. Ed? Couldn’t cross all those bridges you’ve burned?

BTW,at that distance you didn’t look anything over, you saw a bike that looks pretty much like an ’02-’04 Gilroy.

I love the looks of my Gilroy, doesn’t mean I would not want improvements such as a dash mounted ignition, digital display, a more upright speedometer, or functional signal indicators.

The look of the primary is not my favorite, however, the overall shape is not radically different from the ’01-’04 Gilroy, and was dictated by changes in the charging system and clutch.

Speaking of primary covers I suppose you would discount the 99-00 Indians due to their H-D looking primary covers and the cloned softail frames and virtually EVO identical S&S engines used from ’99 to ’01

I participated in IMI’s survey way back when and best I can tell they used the input they recieved because the people I have talked with said they complained about mostly the same things,

Poorly placed ignition
    Piss poor ergonomics
    Far to wide bars for the average human (remember all the threads about narrowing bars?)
    Lack of instumentation and rider friendly indicators

Just some of the items they have obviously addressed.
    Nobody wanted a Springfield but rather a vastly improved Chief retaining the overall look of the Gilroy.

Pretty much sounds like what JW had in mind, except he has yet to produce anything except a customized Gilroy Indian Chief complete with a Gilroy Indian VIN. Nice work for a motorcycle shop but not cutting it for a manufacturer.

If you believe your Vintage (a nice Chief to be sure) is the last word in motorcycle comfort, ergonomics, and technology, you have very little experience with motorcycles.

Your cry of foul is bogus Ed, your just having a hard time accepting you got left at the station and the train already left. Not long ago you would have partied with the rest of the Indian (not just Gilroy) fanatics at Branson but instead you pissed down everyone’s back and told them it was raining.

Funny how you sound just like all the Springfield snobs who could not, would not, and never will accept the Gilroys as true Indians, your Vintage included.

Butch Baer and I had a conversation last year about his Chiefs, and he noticed the Indian tat on my forearm and asked me what year I had, I told him I ride a Gilroy and not a Springfield, he grabbed my hand threw his arm over my shoulder and said “It doesn’t matter what Indian you ride as long as it’s an Indian, and pretty soon you’ll be able to say you ride a Kings Mountain Indian”.

Seems to me that should be the attitude of all Indian owners. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with everything the current owners are doing, however, we should be supporting them, not constantly badmouthing their efforts, spread lies, rumors, and inuendo, then piss on the people that do support IMI’S efforts.

But that just not your style now is it Ed? Nope, you just keep throwing more gas on those burning bridges.

I will not be buying a new Chief in the immediate future, however the time will come when one will be parked next to the ’02 and I will be proud to own both.

36. 36 Speedo May 23rd, 2008 at 8:34 pm

KC Chief is an idiot with no clue about motorcycles. Indian and marketing. A true loser making dumb after dumb statements.

37. 37 rdawsoniii May 23rd, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I’ve been following the re-introduction of Indian very closely. I’m happy they are coming back and wish KM nothing but success.

I definitely will own an Indian someday. I was hoping it would be one of the new ones but I’m extremely disappoined in the price. I understand what KM is doing and why, but I’m disappointed nonetheless. As it stands I’m shooting for an early retirement in about 6 years and want to buy an Indian as a retirement gift to myself. Since I would want to pay cash (or at least 75%) I’m not sure a KM Indian Chief Vintage is going to be in the cards. If not, I’ve had offers from several nice folks (KC Cheef included) to help me out finding a fine Gilroy machine.

I can understand KC’s side of things, as well as Power Stoke’s. There will always be differences in opinions on motorcycles…and between Springfield, Gilroy and KM Indian owners….but the bottom line is: Indian is making a comeback and it should be every bikers’ wish that they are back for good this time.

38. 38 Lakota May 23rd, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Go Indian, go!

39. 39 BOBCAT May 24th, 2008 at 2:59 am

Ed , $#! FAR DUDE, eat a valium and calm down.
    Youare going to give your self a heart attack with all that hatered
    Go climb on that fringe and go for a ride.
    You are showing these people possibly
    what John White doesn’t want others to
    see since you are a representitve of his brand
    Crazy Horse.

I don’t get it Your attitude stinks.
    As I said I **sat** on one You say you were **50 ft** away.
    Thats a joke right there to be perfetly honest. Why didn’t you come over and say hello?

At 50 feet or 5 feet you can reconize the INDIAN.

If you wanna rant go to the Gilroy company… Ohhhh That’s right They closed in 03 after they ripped everyone off At least when you pulled the seat off there was no wadded up electrial wiring under the seat. LOL I should had taken a pic of that.

Hey Power Stroke good to see ya again, have good ride home?

rdawsoniii I do know that Brock has his chief for sale if your interested It is a nice bike and is loved and ridden. Dunno if you want a Scout Spirit or Chief Also I know Retro put his on Ebay a while back That was a sweet ride. I dunno if it sold or not, but Good Luk on finding your dream ride

Your sister in the wind…

40. 40 BOBCAT May 24th, 2008 at 3:05 am

Hey Brad can I use the QUOTE You are a very good example of objectivity!!!!! What is your objective? UNQUOTE as a signitue That is good tat is very good ROFLMAO

41. 41 KC Cheef May 25th, 2008 at 2:09 am

Hey Bobcat.
    You drink the kool aid in Branson?
    Again with the hatred thing.
    Nope no hatred here.
    This is some of the funniest crap I’ve ever seen.
    You and your buds ever going to begin doubting just a little bit of what the Public Site spoon feeds you?
    See you in Cassoday this summer.

42. 42 Henry May 25th, 2008 at 11:07 am

KC Cheef. You are pathetic. You are only negative with no reason or justification and you accuse others. Something very wrong with you.

43. 43 Bobcat May 25th, 2008 at 1:18 pm

You know I just thought of some thing. It took me a couple days to get back to my computer Any hoos How come you didnt mention seeing the bikes in Branson until after I made mention of the bikes were there & you say you were 50 ft away?
    Let me ask you this, what colors were the bikes? And which ones ran? Black walls or white walls on the tires? I personally don’t think you were even in Branson to be perfectly honest. So there for Proove me wrong. PUT UP or SHUT UP.

I await you answer.

Cyril, I apologize for this post. It’s just KC CHEEF has a history of running his mouth and this is a classic example of his true colors. If you feel this must be removed than so be it.

44. 44 Bobcat May 25th, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Looking forward to Cassody this year.

45. 45 homer May 26th, 2008 at 9:29 am

wow…i’m w/o a pc for a while and nothing changes, lol..

much like last year with the steve’s, I spent a good bit of time with Mark and Chris (including my first ride in a big rig..well medium rig) and got to talk in depth about all things indian, harley, families, reason’s for coming to indian, the team, the 09 line, future lines, used office furniture, weather, long hours at the shop, design cues/decision, duration/endurance testing…will the 105 fit in a gilroy frame, the factory, dealerships, etc etc….i was writing an article for smoke signals, but since that’s a limited audience, i think i’ll post it on my site..maybe here w/Cyril’s permission?
    KC and John..if you think Chris and Mark (and the Steve’s) don’t have a passion for the brand, you are sorely mistaken…

KC..I actually went to branson w/a closed mind thinking i would not like the new bikes..WOW..was i surprised..the bikes are aesthetically similar to Gilroy bikes, but they are even more refined. The dash and tank. are extremely sexy…the details in the small parts are great…the trick adjustable clutch and brake levers…the smart , yet retro speedo…the strong, dependable charging and electronics…

there’s so much new on these bikes (as compared to Gilroy)…some things maybe gilroy would have come up with….most things gilroy would have never even thought of…
    I have a ton of pics…the 2 emissions bikes sitting still, the black bike in action….i even got to “ride” one myself..

i didn’t like ALL the changes for my taste, but in general, the changes all make sense…

as for the primary..it’s the same as the gilroy, with a change in shape to the inspection cover cutout.. it looks good on the chiefs…i like the round gilroy inspection cover for the vintage…there’s nothing “jappish” on the bikes i saw..

I just got another notebook..as soon as i get all the software i need loaded i’ll get the pics posted..if you’re honest with yourself, you’ll admit this first offering is a winner and will sell like hotcakes in low numbers for sure.

46. 46 Power Stroke May 26th, 2008 at 9:32 am

He was in Branson, stays at Stillwater, he is not allowed on the property at Hunter’s Resort.

Enough people saw him trolling to verify his presence, and of course even if he wasn’t there Bobcat, he would still be able to tell you what was what due to the fact that enough trolls show up on both sites to give a complete description as to what was shown.

Bottom line is that it doesn’t really matter what Ed thinks, he is a closed minded fool and an embarresment to the Indian motorcycle community.

47. 47 homer May 26th, 2008 at 9:33 am

powerstroke..you were at branson?

48. 48 Henry May 26th, 2008 at 9:41 am

I agree with Power Stroke. KC Cheef is an embarrassment to the Indian motorcycle community. What it says doesn’t count. He is my himself and nobody is listening.

49. 49 KC Cheef May 27th, 2008 at 9:23 am

Quote from Bobcats post.

I await you answer.

Sorry bobcat–I was at Branson.
    Attended the Branson Rally with a number of friends I had visiting that Rally.
    Just to be sure you understand?
    I did NOT attend the IRIP.
    Been there done that.
    In fact?
    Me and a friend were the first people to ever attend an IRIP–him and I went there a week early to help plan some rides there.
    That is a FACT–and spin won’t change a FACT.
    I went to the BRANSON Rally to observe the Biker Build off at the Rock Ride Remember Rally.

Had a blast.

Funny thing?
    The Rock Ride Remember Rally is the largest event in the State of Missouri that weekend.

I’ll estimate 4 to 5000 motorcycles run through there in the 4 days it is held.
    I know there were maybe 100 Indian Motorcycles in Branson that weekend attending IRIP
    and I only saw three at the RRR Rally.

Mine–another bike that entered the show–and a third whose rider told me he had attended IRIP last year and once was enough.

I’m sure there were more–but I just missed seeing them.

Kind of funny to me that you INDIAN faithful huddled together to stroke the factory and each other when you had a perfect chance to show up at a typical Harley Style Rally and show off what you ride.

Kind of funny that KM Indian hid out there NEW CHIEF rather than getting it out to show the Harley boys what they were bringing to the table.

If you still don’t believe I was in Branson?
    Ask your good friend Faggotyliar if I was there.
    I tried to get him to come have a little talk at one point, and he turned and RAN into the Gazebo at HFs resort.

As far as what you might believe?
    Honestly–it doesn’t concern me in the least.
    You’ll jump on me today, and in a month or two you’ll be my best friend again.
    That is pretty much your history in a nutshell.

As for Power Stroke enjoying his ride home?
    Correct me if I’m wrong–but I don’t believe PS attended Branson.
    Kind of a far ride for him–and I’m not sure he’d be up to a ride that far away from home.

You INDIAN FAITHFUL stroked each other and the factory for a whole damn week, and isolated yourselves–was the kool aid served a flavor to your liking?

Hey Henry–as far as me being an embarrassment?
    How many miles you have on your Indian?
    Or are you one of those folks that are ‘gonna” have one someday?
    I will agree with you on the point that what I say does not count–but if you get around a little-different forums and blogs you’ll soon see that what I say is not an isolated opinion.
    Lot of folks beginning to doubt what they see coming off the mountain.
    As far as “listening”
    Get out and “listen” to other opinions that might differ from your Kool aid site–might surprise the hell out of you.

50. 50 One Bad Bitch May 27th, 2008 at 10:34 am

Calm down boys.
    Selling 2 bikes a day nationwide in it’s first year is do-able. I hope they succeed.
    Listening to you all bicker at each other is a turn off. That’s what I’ll be thinking when I see someone riding a new Indian. An old man acting like an old lady. My generation can’t relate.
    If you like it and have the money, buy it. That’s how companies get going. If not, there are plenty of sweet rides out there to be had at a fraction of what they were just a few years ago.
    Shut up and ride.

51. 51 Bobcat May 27th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Power Stroke, Yeah your rght Bro too bad he didnt come up and say hi at Still Waters cause we stayed there … No room at the H.F.
    o anywhere else… Biggest Rally yet! Whoo hoo.
    Hey Homer 🙂 Borther Yeah where were you when the much needed refferee was needed. LOL I love the way you put things in perspective. Ride On!

One bad Bitch ,
    Hey sorry for the bad taste but This guy is talking trash and I for one protect what I believe in. Nice Scooter Clothes shop by the way I have a couple of your teeshirts.

Why did you type all that buffalo chips to avoid my question ? What color were the Indians? Pretty piss poor B.S. if you ask me.

You didn’t even know they were there until I said something about it. You are ate up with the dumbass! “50 feet away” Riiiiiiiiight! LMAO
    How the hell was you able to tell which was the Gilroys at the distance from the KM?

I was not only at the IRIP drinking the kool-aid with the rest of the brothers and sisters, which this was the largest one yet.
    I went to the Branson Ralley and I seen 4 Indians myself my chief, Rosie’s Chief, a couple whom had bought the gel pad and then one which was getting the Gilroy horn removed. The total amount of bikes I had seen while I was there was possibly 350 bikes.

To be perfectly honest with you…Ed you were never a freind. Friends don’t disrespect others as you had done here with me. I asked you a question and you insult me. With friends like that who the hell needs enemies?

That is your history… you and I never had none. You had never ridden by my side as a friend or a brother. I had only met you three times? Once at Cassody and then twice at IRIP. Last year and the previous.

I don’t even know you well enough to call you a friend to be perfectly honest. Aquantince, yeah maybe. But as for the best friend… Not even close I am very particular with who I count as my friends. Sorry dude if I burst your bubble.

Yes The brothers of Iron Indian are my friends and my family. You’ve distanced yourself from some of the most honest and generous people I had ever known. Your loss not mine.

Go wallow in your self pity.I have no time for you.

Cassody??? Not anytime soon! Other things more important in my life for the time being.
    But Thanks for the heads up!** makes mental note** “Avoid the Dumbass.
    Eat my dust!
    Gone riding.

52. 52 pop May 27th, 2008 at 8:12 pm

I don’t get rankled at too much but this, this here qualifies as too much. This is old and tired and here you have this board offering good balanced info but this rancid crap has to bleed onto here too. Pity.
    I know most of you and I know most of you to be better than what you are leaving here.
    Might want to take ten steps back and take a look at what you are representing for with this junk. Smack each other down in a forum where the bitching is part and parcel. There’s plenty of joints to peck at each other. Dragging it out here is just no class.

Shut up and ride is good damn advice anytime and it’s even better advise here. Thanks for the reminder OBB.

Rant off.

Dan, I’m actually playing a little bit of devils advocate. I’m good with the current marketing strategy. It’s a sensible approach in a soft market. I see where a CPA bought IronHorse and his plan is to sell limited edition high end bikes. Same song, different beat. I am honestly concerned that KM might be swayed into a complacency that is a buzzkill for innovation and expansion into other markets. Stellican is using their tried and true method of pumping up the quality and cost of tarnished brands like Riva yachts and CrisCraft. I don’t see a thing wrong with that piece of it. The next step on the boat end has been to grow the sales by streamlining production and increasing units. That’s where I worry that they will try to continue the boat thing into two wheeled territory. Bikes and boats have similarities but they have differences as well and if KM sets it’s hat to feed the high rollers first and foremost they are forsaking the biggest piece of the motorcycle pie.

53. 53 homer May 27th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

from what i’ve learned pop, i don’t think being too exclusive will be an issue. in fact, quite the opposite.

54. 54 homer May 27th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

lol about the branson rally… i went last year..we had maybe 20 indians parked next to each other..got lots of attention…i remember thinking “worst rally ever”..and swore i’d never go back…heard they changed the format a bit this year, but still liked the bone Indian threw us at the IRIP..the first public viewing of the machines..they are getting so many invitations they have to pick and choose..they are setting the attendance bar pretty high–50k or so…but they picked a rally w/300 people and chose to come there out of respect and appreciation…they held nothing back and answered all questions asked.. not all answers were as some hoped, but they got answers…I think they are off to a good start and their future plans seem great. i hope they deliver..

55. 55 Bobcat May 28th, 2008 at 2:17 am

I agree Pop. I am not in the best of moods as alot of you know my reasons and when I read this attack… I just lost it.
    Sorry people I am under alot of stress.
    This is not the time for myself nor the place for anyone’s bickering.

I still like the green… but then again I liked the blue Oh hell I like them all. Decisions decisions LOL

We too went to the Rally last year Last year was bigger than this last one. I think alot of it was because of the high-priced gasoline which Will make alot more people choose the Motorcycles over SUVs

I think 3rd times a charm for American made Indians.

56. 56 Dr. Mark May 28th, 2008 at 3:05 am

I’ve seen the new Indian Chief prototypes, and not from “50 feet”.
    I sat on them, I rode with one for 4 hours, I crawled all over them for 3 days, and I have to tell you, they are extremely, extremely impressive bikes.
    The have a lot of similarities to the Gilroy bikes, but that’s it. Similarities.
    When you compare it to my Chief, there is simply no comparison. I sorely hate to say that, because I love my bike very much. I bought it new in 2002 for MSRP, at $25,000. Since then, I’ve spent probably about $15,000 fixing the things Gilroy got wrong, and adding things I wanted, those personal touches that we all love to add to our rides.
    The King’s Mountain Indians look…finished.
    Complete. There are no rough edges anywhere…and that was in a factory mule…a TEST BED.
    The general manager of Indian, and the events manager say that the production bikes will be light years ahead of the ones we saw.

I’ve been a rider for nearly 35 years, and these bikes impressed me in a way that VERY few pieces of machinery EVER have. The attention to detail was unbelievable. They told me that of the 1200 major and minor assemblies on the bike, 1100 of them are either totally new or completely re-engineered.

Some of the interesting bits: there are NO ELECTRICAL RELAYS ANYWHERE. (No more starter relay issues! Yes!) The OBD-II computer system: It’s adaptive…it adjusts the tuning to your personal riding style. Nikasil cylinders…NO CYLINDER SLEEVES! This tech has been used in automobiles, but never in motorcycles.
    (Some)People in the Indian community were bitching because there was ‘no movement’ in the new company. Well, obviously, they’ve spent that time studying the problems with the old PP100 motor…and not only fixed them…they went WAY further.
    They took the right approach, in my opinion. They didn’t rush another warmed-over Harley clone or a re-hash of the Gilroy bikes to market…like some wanted to do…they took their time. The product they are putting out is simply amazing. I’ve seen it. UP CLOSE and PERSONAL.

They aren’t kidding. This WILL be the ‘Bentley of Motorcycles’.

The “ownership experience” is going to be like nothing in the motorcycle world currently. It will be more like what you experience when you buy a very high-end car. As I understand it, just like Porsche or Rolls, you will have the option of taking delivery at the factory. There, you will get to meet and shake hands with the two craftsman who hand-built your motorcycle. That’s right. TWO. That’s it. Your bike will be built by two master mechanics, who will roll your bike through 25 assembly stations. There is no ‘assembly line’ here.
    You will have an opportunity, then, to test ride it, and then the factory technicians will make adjustments to your suspension, clutch, brake and so forth, to accomodate you, personally. Your tastes, your ergonomics. They will be able to do all this because they will only be making about TWO BIKES A DAY. (At least initially, anyway.) A MAXIMUM of 750 bikes per YEAR. Harley makes more than that in one MORNING, before the day shift takes their first coffee break.

They plan on expansion. There will be more bikes, and more affordable bikes. The Scout next. Maybe a touring bike, and eventually, maybe even a full-on Sportbike. But now, they are concentrating on their flagship. The Chief. It’s the bike that built the Indian legend, and they HAVE to get it right. Really, they have to get it perfect. After the mistakes of the past, nothing else will do.

How do I know all this?

I saw the bikes.
    I sat on them.
    I rode with them.
    I spoke to the factory brass, for a long, long time.

And then I drank the Kool Aid.

I ordered a 2009 Chief. A Vintage. Turquoise and White.

No, it’s not cheap.
    It’ll be the most expensive motorcycle I’ve ever owned.

It means many, many overtime hours.
    Many, many long nights, and weekends, and holidays.
    But you know what?
    To me, it’ll be worth every damn second of that hard work.
    Because I love Indians, and I have since I was 19.
    Because I believe in what they are doing, and how they are doing it.
    Because I’m putting my money where my mouth is.
    Because I think I am going to get to be a small part of something historic and special.
    Because I think that one day, many years from now, I’ll hand her keys to a grandson, and tell him: “Take good care of her, son. She’s special. She’s a limited edition, from the very first year of production at King’s Mountain, way back in 2009….”

“The year Indian came back for good.”

57. 57 pop May 28th, 2008 at 10:45 am

Mark, I can buy a McMansion for half a mil. Pick out a fine piece of riverside and have a crew of top shelf builders put it up in three months, trimmed, wired, fridge full and not a nail out of place.
    Alternately I can buy the same floorplan from Joes Prefab houses, have it built in two weeks, modules dropped on the foundation and just as trimmed out and pretty and liveable in a month. Further it will be a better built house due to factory assembly line methods. It will be square, plumb and level, it will be mega insulated and built to all applicable codes without any sneaking around and when they tell me it’s ready, it will be ready. It won’t be unique, it won’t stand out in a sea of McMansions but it will be a fine abode with all the amenities and it will be 200 large cheaper.
    I might pay maybe half a grand to shake the hand of the guys who built my ride, but I’m not looking for a Bentley experience unless or until I buy a Bentley.
    I will proudly (I hope) say to my grandson “Take good care of her son. She’s special. She’s a limited edition from the very last year of production in Gilroy, way back in 2003.”

The year that Indian seperated the truehearts from the wannabes.

58. 58 Dave Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:30 pm

“Sorry big guy. I just can’t cross that Rubicon with ya. If I had no Indians, a new Indian would light a fire under me, but like you, I have fought the Gilroy battles of the Indian wars. Where we part company is when I look in the shed I feel like my side won.”

Pop, I agree with you on so many levels. I love my Injun too. Did 700 miles last weekend and man was it perfect.

The part where we part company is about the battles bein’ over – they will never end. If not Indian it will be someone – all the time…. Nor should they be over. That is what makes for “progress” AND – in these cases – tugs at the motorcycling fans heartstrings for a return – maybe only in name – to the days of yore. Doesn’t mean I can afford to go out and buy every new incarnation – but I can root them on through brand identification and hope they make a go of it. When they and I get to a product/price point that makes me ready/willing and able – that will be the model for me. I hope there are as many Dr. Marks out there as they need to get ‘er done. So I guess my fire under me is always on “simmer” until I turn up the heat!! LOL

Until then, ride on Indian, ride on.

59. 59 homer Jun 22nd, 2008 at 7:53 am

published some pics of the 09 prototypes on my site

60. 60 BOBCAT Aug 21st, 2008 at 4:35 am

Dr. Mark Do you think Medicine Girl would mind If you took me, your little sistah for a ride on your new cheif?

61. 61 Moondog Jan 2nd, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Hey I got it, Indian should make 1 (1unit) bike, charge 50 million (sell to Travolta)and shut the doors.
    Save all the overhead and then really be exclusive, make by order only. Oh maybe open 1 dealer in Dubai.
    Now thats the ticket…..
    Moondog TX

62. 62 Dave Mann Jan 2nd, 2009 at 8:43 pm

There is no other name in the history of motorcycling that has been more “raked over the coals” than Indian. Count me among those who believe that the brand left us in 1953, and that Harley-interchangeable parts have absolutely no place on a new Indian, and that digital gauges spoil the theme of a traditional motorcycle or hot rod.