How To Build a Bobber On A Budget.

Didn’t see Jose De Miguel on the show tour last year. Now, I kow why. He was busy writing this book whose main proposition is not how to Build A Bobber, but how to Build It On A Budget. And he means for less than the price than any “new bobber” offered on a dealer show floor. And Jose don’t ask you first to buy the latest most sophisticated motorcycle shop equipment, which would cost you a few bobbers, but instead show you that you can do it with a set of basic tools.  More important ingredient to succeed your project?Your imagination, of course. In this book, custom motorcycle builder Jose de Miguel demonstrates, in the clearest and simplest terms, how to turn odds and ends found around the garage into one-off motorcycle parts and from them build a drop-dead show stopper. The book is geared, no pun intended, to the beginner but regardless of your level of experience it has some great tips to think of when doing a project, especially, as the book is focused on when you are on a budget. And we are all. Numerous illustrations in 160 pages. How To build A Bobber On A Budget.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

20 Responses to “How To Build a Bobber On A Budget.”

1. 1 Nicker Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Ya….!!!!

“… Buy a Nook -vs- Buy a Beer…”

You decide.

-nicker-

2. 2 Nicker Jul 10th, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Oooops

Try “Book”… Hell, anyone can buy a “Nook” (in Nevada, that is)….. :-)

-nicker-

3. 3 Gar Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:44 am

I think this is great! All the want-to-bes will run out and buy this book, read it, buy all the parts necessary to build the bike they are now convinced they can build since they read the book and are now seasoned builders and 6 months later I can buy the parts they bought for their build off of E-Bay cheap! I like it!

4. 4 Nicker Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:46 am

Well, even if only one guy buys the book and actually builds and rides his scooter…. that’s a win for the good guys.

-nicker-

5. 5 Gar Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Agreed!

6. 6 Conrad Nicklus Jul 21st, 2008 at 3:54 am

Oh Jesus Christ I hear a few words in the near future…

Let me shows a few we will be inclined to hear..:

1: LAWSUIT
    2: ACCIDENT IN THE MAKING
    3: OH SHIT HERE WE GO AGAIN
    4: WHY DID I THINK IT WAS THIS EASY TO BUILD A BIKE?
    5: I THINK ILL LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS NEXT TIME
    6: SCREW MOTORCYCLE BUILDING, ITS NOT LIKE YOU SEE ON TV.

I love this shit.

7. 7 Gar Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:44 pm

I’ll give you 50 bucks for the transmission.

8. 8 Bryan Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:30 am

Buy the beer. Read the book at the bookstore.

9. 9 Jay Dec 9th, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Well, I don’t know anything about bikes but I would love to get my hands dirty and build my own. But, you guys are making it sound like I wont wanna do it or I will mess things up so bad that I’ll never complete the thing, I was under the impression that if you loved something do it and put in 110 percent no matter what? So, you guys are saying that I shouldn’t even try to buy this book because I would be a wanna-be motorcycle mechanic. Hell, I just want a ride that I can be proud of and not have to rely on a factory to pump out what I want. I would like the freedom to enjoy the hardwork, creativity, and freedom of building my own bike.

So then, “experts” what should I do and where should I go to achieve my goal of building my own bike??

10. 10 Rob Dec 21st, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Jay, Don’t let anyone talk you out of building a bike. I’m not an expert but I have been working on and building bikes since the early seventies. My advice is this read as much as you can about them this will give you the insight and ideas of what to try.
    Keep the good info you read about and disregard the bullshit. At the same time learn as much as you can about fabricating things, for example a good welding course will insure that you will make safe welds. these are skills you’ll use for the rest of your life for other things as well that way you aren’t at the mecy of buying a lot of cheaply made and over priced junk.
    Next if you are really serious find a local independent bike shop and establish a relationship with it. He doesn’t have to be a “custom” bike shop but should be someone who at least appreciates custon bikes and is willing to give you advice. If you do this and buy most of your stuff that you can’t make from him and not the internet. you will find that this shop will be a really good source of info that is reliable Note that this may not be the cheapest source for parts but the relationship is priceless.
    The last thing is whether you are talking to someone about fabricating or tech stuff about bikes don’t be afraid to ask questions , even the best bike building guy out there learned his stuff from someone. but make sure you know your source, no offense
    but in reading these blogs from time to time I’ve come to realize that a lot of guys who write into these don’t know what they are talking about , they just spread a lot of bullshit. Have fun , the nice thing about making it youself is that if you make a mistake you just fix it or make it over, in the end you will have a bike you know inside out and you know it will be safe because you built it that way. By the way,not only have I been building bikes a long time but I’m an R&D Toolmaker and I read the book and I still learned some good tips

11. 11 HammersChild Apr 11th, 2009 at 11:10 am

Fuck the book . buy a bike. Start on the road and then crawl in the shop. If you love to ride and want to wrench your own ride great but buy one. Shit , I see great little sporty’s on craigs daily for under 4 grand. Thats a cheap as it gets from most any build. And hey if you want to “bob” “chop” “drop” or do whatever you want to it after that at least you have a good starting point for at least part numbers and shit. Just my 2 cents and now I’m out for a beer. See ya in the funny papers ,me old Fucko’s !

12. 12 villain May 22nd, 2009 at 8:46 am

I agree if you just dont know… how to do things you gotta learn some were buy bile ride live enjoy…
    but if your in a hurry? DONT BE… you should be prepared to waite and not rush… I got 5 bikes in my shop (gayrazg..lol) right now… i also agree go to your local guys for parts ..info.& help …. if you dont know how to weld .. your screwed… no for real.. you cant just go and learn to weld and then you bike falls apart…lol find a custom shop or bike shop buy the frame from him…..

13. 13 Jose de Miguel Sep 8th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for the review, funny, most of the comments that have been made here, are in the book, sure, different context, but more or less the same thing.

It would be cool, to read first, then make a comment, with facts, but alas…

Never be discouraged to do your own thing, How do you think all started, there always has to be a first try, sure, some stuff will get fucked, some stuff will come out great and some will be mediocre..
    But there’s always room for improvement.. Every day, every time.

Thanks
    Jose

14. 14 Curtis Oct 2nd, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Good Book .Good read. Good Inspiration.
    Modifying a Buell Blast.
    Curtis

15. 15 henry Jun 19th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

i have a 77 kawasaki i want to bob-out i just turned twenty and pretty excited to get my first bike but if this book is a no go to learn how to bob-out a bike then wat should i do to learn

16. 16 Jose de Miguel Jul 7th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Henry and everyone else
    The book is a guide, it’s hints and tips to help you and everyone else build a bike.
    You can call me on the phone with questions, but I guess it’s easier to read the book..
    Then again, those who spend the 20 bucks on the book instead of a beer (what an expensive beer it is!!) Thanks.. I hope you enjoyed the read and it ahd a purpose.

Take that Kawasaki and bob the shit out of it.. Remember, bobbing or chopping meant taking parts off…
    Any questions feel free to email me.. jose@chopperfreak.com
    and fuck the nay sayers…

Jose

17. 17 mike rodrigues Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I would agree with jose and all the guys with the passion we all seek to have for something. I got a couple of xs650′s gathered up for the extra parts i would need down the road…its always good to find it when u dont need it then when ur assed out and cant find it when u really do. I read the book and it was by far very helpful and relieved me from my own critism. Im glad there are still humble people in the world helping out those who shares the same passion. Im a tattoo artist and had i listened to every fuck who said i sucked then i wouldnt be where i am now. So read everything you can find and take it in and make those mistakes close to home so you can fix them. Thanks jose!

18. 18 jay Aug 26th, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Reading thru good/bad advice….i see one thing omitted. Budget. Seriously, Whos budget, Bill Gates, or some schmuck busting his hump at a factory? The reason I ask…..this winter, i plan to bob out a bike(dad had one back in the day). Been checking craigslist for an older “cheaper” bike. Seems like 600-1000 bucks oughtta do it……but from there, are we talking three grand or what?(i know the skies the limit). me, flat black, wrapped pipes, rigid, no fenders, custom tank, racing bars, no springer….just old school bob.
    soz…….what kinda budget numbers we talking……and didnt see the book in local book store.

19. 19 DAVE May 26th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

so did you ever build that bobber Jay?

20. 20 Bryan Jul 3rd, 2011 at 9:32 am

I used to ride a lot more around the 20 year old mark. Married, kids, house, work….the only thing that got bobbed was my free time. But things are what they are and a work mate of mine just gave me a gn400 that had been sitting in the garage for 17 years. A little starter fluid and the thing fired on the first kick. The seat is falling apart, there is no battery, the clutch cable is broken (the reason it was parked for 17 years), the back shocks are weak, and the tires are dry-rotted. Do I need any more excuses to build a ride?? Man is he gonna be burnt out when I ride up to work on that thing in a couple of weeks. I was wanting a convertible, but a single seater and some alone time on the road will do me nothing but good. I like the sounds of this book. I think I’ll get this gn400 on the road after I strip some unnecessary parts off and slap on some bars in place of the shocks. Then, after I think I know what I’m doing, I’ll buy the book and have a bit more fun….at least I’ll have a hands-on idea of what is going on in the book. By the way, it’s good to see the author involved in the conversation, talk about getting your hands dirty for real….

Metzeler