New 2009 Harley-Davidson 3-Wheeler Called Tri Glide Ultra Classic

With the help of baby-boomers, trikes being back since 3 years on the custom bike scene, Harley-Davidson noticed and in 2009 brings to its line a three-wheeler called The Tri Glide Ultra Classic. It is based on a new chassis and offers the classic styling and popular touring features of the Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide in a vehicle that will be sold and serviced by the network of Harley-Davidson dealers and covered by a two-year Harley-Davidson limited warranty. The Tri Glide will have an MSRP of $29,999. Harley-Davidson launched a “wheels-up” strategy in the development of the Tri Glide, and has created a frame and associated chassis structure that is engineered specifically to handle the loads generated by the steering forces and weight of a three-wheel vehicle. Changes to the front-end geometry enhance steering control by reducing steering effort up to 25 percent. The forks have been lengthened by 1.775 inches compared to the regular Touring motorcycle, and rake is increased from 29.25 degrees to 32.00 degrees. A steer damper controls coast-down wobble, and minimizes bumps and other road inputs during turning events. The rear suspension features dual air-adjustable rear shock absorbers. The Tri Glide is powered by a Twin Cam 103 V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 101 ft. lbs. of torque. It retains the 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission used on Harley-Davidson Touring motorcycles, but adds an optional electric reverse ($1,195) integrated with the rear differential assembly that is engaged with a handlebar-mounted reverse module. The Tri Glide has dual front disc brakes and a Hayes Brake dual-disc rear brake system with a lever-actuated, integrated park brake. Because the rear fenders are each a separate piece from the rest of the rear bodywork, they can be removed individually for repair or replacement, or when required to service the Tri Glide.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

38 Responses to “New 2009 Harley-Davidson 3-Wheeler Called Tri Glide Ultra Classic”

1. 1 Gar Jul 23rd, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Finally Harley Davidson has read the writing on the wall! This introduction by the Motor Company will break the back of most of the trike conversion companies now doing business. 29K for a bike from the factory, with a Warranty ….. Lehman you boys are in trouble now.

2. 2 Fred Jul 23rd, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I had heard that Lehman was actually supplying some of the parts to H-D on their trikes. Can anyone confirm?

3. 3 SOme dude Jul 23rd, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Read between the lines knob…Gar…. research and see that Lehmans is involved….duh

4. 4 Gar Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:03 pm

I was just told that. Thanks!

5. 5 alan Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:44 pm

nice washer dryer

very ugly

6. 6 rodent Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:21 pm

Lehman,s been making these for years…Harley has not reinvented the wheel

7. 7 Conrad Nicklus Jul 23rd, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Ive said it before and I will say it again. Still a piece of junk Harley at the end of the day. Now they see where the market is and what they are missing, they remind me of all these little rinky dink shops that pop up to make a quick buck everywhere……Way to cash in HD!!1 Yall are everyday business sluts!

8. 8 TBear Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:14 am

They are taping into a growing market.
    After my last spill, I’m unable to ride my 2-wheeler anymore, at least that’s what the Doc’s are telling me. Look at it this way if you like, it’s just a new platform for us chopper freaks to play with.
    If the factory would like to donate one, I’ll be happy to show the nay-sayers the possibilities.

9. 9 TBear Jul 24th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I had previously heartd that the new trike woulod come with the new Baker F6R tranny with reverse gear, not an electric reverse. I would deffinately have prefered that set up.
    What ever became of that? Anyone know?

10. 10 Guido Jul 25th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Great job Harley! This unit has just about everything a trike needs. If you don’t ride a trike you shouldn’t comment on a ride you know nothing about,those of us that do will tell you this a good thing (the new trike) now we can get the new bike coverage that we need. Once again Great Job!!!!!

11. 11 J Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:13 am

This will be the surprise big seller in the Harley lineup, I suspect;

Impressive pricing point- I doubt Lehman built these last year brand new for $30K, without the HD engineering perks.

Ya, I had heard the same thing about the Baker transmission- something must have fallen thru, because I’d much rather have a mechanical reverse…..

12. 12 Gar Jul 26th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

I wonder if the Ice Cream Man From Hell has seen this yet? He could be back in business with this bike!

Harley is going to make a killing with this bike!

13. 13 George H Jul 27th, 2008 at 1:28 am

Still would rather have the option of the big service car box in the back instead of the tiny box and that silly little case that sits on top of it… anyone know if there gonna offer the service car box. For 29 G’s I hope we have that option

14. 14 Dave B Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:42 am

I for one, am very pleased with the entire 2009 H-D line. I’m not into trikes, but the addition of them will be a great thing for Harley, and the wide tire bikes will drive the death nail into what remains of the production custom manufactures.
    It will now be much easier for the small custom shops (the good ones at least) to provide customers with an easily insurable, and EPA compliant, custom bike that has ample power. As usual, the factory models are poorly trimmed, which begs for some custom work… but the base is there. This has coming for a couple of years and I am glad to see it is finally here. Good work H-D !

15. 15 geno Jul 28th, 2008 at 8:41 am

the only hope for this monstrosity is that hopefully the
    frame work looks cool with out the 3000 lbs of fiberglass and sheetmetal-
    maybe a stripped down trike is in Harleys future

16. 16 Helleanor Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:35 am

Guido – I agree with you. If you’ve never ridden a trike, well….
    I’ve made grown men scream like little girls during rides on the back of my current trike.
    Way to go, Harley Davidson & Lehman!

17. 17 Darwin Aug 9th, 2008 at 10:56 am

As far as I know this is the first Factory Production Line Trike. As usual H.D. is the first to do it!!!!! Way to GO H.D. I, for one, am looking at it very closely!!!! Don’t believe you will beat it anywhere for the price!!!! Yes, I believe H.D. engineered the bike and partnered it with Lehman.

18. 18 Dan Aug 9th, 2008 at 11:06 am

“Yes, I believe H.D. engineered the bike and partnered it with Lehman”

I think it’s the opposite.

19. 19 Roger McDonald Aug 16th, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I have MS and in 2000 I had my 1999 RoadKing converted to a trike and it keeps me riding.

AND THAT IS ALL THAT COUNTS!!

Roger (Ramjet)

20. 20 Glen T. Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I’ve made my deposit on the new Harley trike. I’m past 60 and my knees and hips can’t support an 800+ pound bike anymore. This factory trike will also cost me about $6,000.00 less than a new bike with an after-market trike kit.

Before this Harley came along I was already looking at a Harley-Lehman, so this fits my needs just fine.

As for those of you who ride metrics or rice-burners … enjoy! Just don’t go knocking my ride because you can’t afford the best!

21. 21 4Nine Sep 25th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I’d like to see HD also put out a bare boned nostalgic version, like the older tri service cars back in the 30-40’s (whenever). You see allot of the nostalgic style bike models manufactured and being sold everyday. Maybe we’ll see a bare-boned three wheeler with a springer front-end and a plain box in the rear… 2010!? Now that would be cool! My 2 cents.

22. 22 Rosewolf Nov 14th, 2008 at 2:25 am

Well, interesting comments but the reality is the Tri Glide is so much more than the conversion ones. I rode a conversion for almost 4 years and picked up my HD TriGlide today. This is an amazing machine. High powered, responsive, easy to ride and steer and not as big as the pictures made it look. It is not as wide as my old trike so a bit lighter in the corners. I can’t ride a two wheeler for medical reasons and the trike allows me to make tracks with the HOG group and they are all relieved I will finally have a bike that can keep up with “The Big Boys”. Not much bigger than the bike it was designed out of and such an easy ride. So, not a monstrosity but a beautiful, powerful, and well equipped machine. Any one considering a trike, I can’t recommend it enough.

23. 23 Mary F Moss Nov 23rd, 2008 at 11:23 am

Had A Dyna Wide Motortrike traded for the new 2009 Harley Trike Best move i made Very Nice Trike Handled Very Well had to shop around here in Louisana find mind in Rodger Ark Great Guys

24. 24 Teri Dec 10th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I just got my Tri Glide in November and already have over 1000 miles on it! I had wanted to get a bike, but since I am AARP age and have never ridden a 2 wheeler was very apprehensive. My husband bought a Screamin Eagle Dyna and bought me the trike. I can cruise the interstate and actually keep up with him at the 70 -80 mph range! This trike is easy to ride and all of the amenities have spoiled me! Love the stereo and glove boxes on the lower fairings! And reverse! Don’t even get me started. The dealer also told me that the 103 cu.in. engine is the same one used in the H-D police bikes and is a proven performer.
    Love it!!!

25. 25 Susan Hady Dec 10th, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Hey, I am a Lehman Trike Dealer and in Harley Land . I am truly excited that Harley Davidson has finally legit the Trike. Harley Davidson and Lehman went into this venture with the announcement made in 2006. Which our trike shop was featured in the Milwaukee Journal. I have seen and tested this vehicle and it does not come close to the Lehman Trike Conversion we do. People have taken ours for road tests and drove the Tri-Glide and doesn’t come close. This is a factory bike with Harley Parts and put together in Spearfish SD where Lehman has their factory. This is not a Lehman Trike persay – Did they take some of the technology Lehman has (Yes) definately not all. If you want custom trike, one of a kind – here we are!!! This is great for the consumer that wants a factory made cookie cutter. We also offer a three year unlimited warranty which Harley Tri-Glide is a factory warranty. Harley is testing the water to see if this is profitable for them. They will find out that this is a nitch and not the norm. I can take your Harley Davidson 1999 till current and have a gorgeous Lehman Trike. This has truly helped the “Trike Industry” Check out our website at http://www.mtrikes.com and see a one of a kind Custom Lehman Trike.

26. 26 GARY Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:26 am

PUT A V-ROD MOTOR IN IT, AND IT WOULE BE PERFECT !!!!

27. 27 Don Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Harley-Davidson has been working on a new Trike for several years now. They know that many riders who are also aging baby boomers are starting to get a little feeble on their legs and are hoping that they’ll go for this Three-wheeler. I’m sure a lot of died in the wool Harley riders will. Will it help their economic problems? If you’ve studied their sales and stock, probably not. I do wish them the best though.

28. 28 diane fleury Apr 9th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

What about the suspension, I heard that the ride could be rough.

Thanks, Diane

29. 29 drake morton Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

30. 30 Larry Aug 20th, 2009 at 9:51 am

Yea! The trunk is a handy Depends department and their is a Bengay dispenser on the inner fairing. You can order the handy walker rack and they plan to come out with some wheel chair accessable ramps in 2012.

Now that that is out of the way it is a fine machine other than the outdated engine that is trying to lug around over 1100 pounds. The Ultra Classic was running hot in bike form because of EPA regulations making Harley lean the engine out to much. The 2010 model will have the catalytic converter that will make it run even hotter.

They reinforced the frame, added a little rake to the front end with a steering damper, the bike handles great. They have heavy duty clutch and SE Compensater with a reinforced swing arm. You don’t get this with a Lehman comversion and you don’t get the Harley 2 year warranty with the option to buy extended. You can’t bring the Ultra Classic in for this price in Trike version. At least 10,000 under what it would take for you to build a comparable Ultra Trike on your own.

Harley is going to have to bite the bullet though and go water cooled on that outdated air compressor. The Harley guys are just going to have to get used to the little radiator out front along with the oil cooler. That engine won’t give extended service running that hot!

31. 31 Trouble for Tri Glide 2009 Feb 7th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Today’s paper in St. Petersburg, Florida
    A Woman died on a St. Petersburg highway after the three wheeled Harley motorcycle she was riding on lost a wheel and crashed.
    The Florida Highway Patrol reported that the 63 year old William Riley was riding his 2009 Harley Davidson TriGlide with his wife, 63 year old Janet Riley on the back Thursday night. The bike crashed, and both riders were thrown. Janet Riley died at the scene, and William Riley was taken to a nearby hospital with serious injuries.
    The crash was not alcohol related, and both riders were wearing their helmets.

32. 32 Gary Mar 17th, 2010 at 6:54 am

I’m 63 and I have a 2003 FXSTS that I love to ride. I’m looking to the future as HD has. We baby boomers are getting older but we still want to ride and ride safe. I’m holding off on purchasing one to see if HD will offer the independent suspension version that Lehman makes. It would make the ride much better. Way to go HD!!!!

33. 33 HARLEY JON Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:41 am

I have an 010 tri Glide and bought it cause my legs are bad, I do miss the two wheels, just not the same, but is very nice, but the gas mileage is not good at all, about 25 miles to the gallon, with 3000 miles on my trike, just want to know how others are doing with theit trikes Thanks Jon

34. 34 jimbo Aug 27th, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I bought a triglide due to a motorcycle accident that messed up my knees. I like it except for the squealing brakes and JUNK electric reverse. I contacted Harley on both issues and was informed it was just a reverse ASSIST, and not an actual reverse. The breaker trips almost whenever I use reverse unless I’m on level ground. When I bought the bike reverse was an option that cost $1,295.00. On the 2011 model, it is standard equipment. I don’t really consider it reverse even though that’s what I paid for and Harley is not willing to do ANYTHING for me. The dealer, however, took it upon himself to make my brakes right, since Harley would not do anything about them. With decent brakes and a Baker F6R kit, this would be a GREAT machine!

35. 35 jimbo Aug 27th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

To Harley Jon: I get about 35 miles to the gallon all the time. So much for 48 MPG on the highway!

36. 36 jim bob Sep 20th, 2010 at 3:16 pm

all you people that pick on harley are just jealous and wish they had one,that is why there are so many foreign knokoffs ,i call them transvestites,they look very similar to a harley but are not. i for one am glad everybody does not like harley’s. that leaves enough for the rest of us who do.

37. 37 sam Jan 9th, 2011 at 8:57 am

Guys i need your advice should i buy 1 or not .

38. 38 rvhobo May 8th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

An old fart lookin for help. Is two wheels in back better than two wheels in front?