Will We Ever See New American IronHorse Motorcycles?

Fast summary. 1- A U.S. bankruptcy judge in Fort Worth agreed to the sale of American IronHorse Motorcycles to Scott Meyers for $6.7 million. The total cost of the acquisition by Scott Meyers is in excess of $8 million because it includes liabilities in the form of warranties on existing bikes. 2- As announced first in my Blog, Scott Meyers confirms that IronHorse will honor all existing warranties. 3- On August 15, Scott Meyers closes its own  Dealership “BlackWater Choppers” in MN apparently giving only a 1 week notice to its employees. Scott Meyers justifies his decision because of a conflict of interest with the New AIH. Why? 4- A liquidation of $10 million of parts is announced and handled by Liquid Asset Partners LLC. with bulk sales beginning August 25. But now the sales appear to be on hold. Why? 5- It seems that no new American IronHorse motorcycles are being built at the Fort Worth, TX. facility 7- Scott Meyers rumored stating that there is no market for a New AIH.  8- Scott Meyers changing his mind and regretting his purchase of the former bankrupt American IronHorse Company? What does he know now that he didn’t know when bidding on the assets of the defunct company? 9- Called Scott Meyers in Texas on 09/02/08. My call not yet returned… What’s going on, New AIH?

52 Responses to “Will We Ever See New American IronHorse Motorcycles?”

1. 1 Bruce Delmar Sep 3rd, 2008 at 2:11 pm

If there is no hope of warranties, a lot of AIH owners are going to be very disappointed or furious..

2. 2 a 1 cycles Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:22 pm

3. 3 JM Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:43 pm

AIH = AMF = RIP

4. 4 Jeff Nicklus Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:53 pm

I can tell you from years of experience in the motorcycle industry that for Scott to keep AIH alive and breathing he will need to produce and sell between 1,000 – 1,050 units per year just to manage his operational debt service at break even.

If you factor in any debt service on Warranty Items, past and future, any possible product liability issues, debt service on the loan from Transamerica, advertising and any possible ROI of his $ 2.5 million investment, he will need an additional $8-9 million dollars in net profits for a break even … that equates to way more motorcycles than he is capable of producing or that the economy is capable of absorbing. Even if this debt service is spread out over 5 years it would be a miracle to achieve, in my humble opinion.

Will the last person out the door please turn off the lights?

Over & Out,

5. 5 Dave B. Sep 3rd, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I agree with the comment by A1 Cycles, simple math… buy below cost and sell off the assets in hope of a profit.
    The horse is dead, no need to kick it.

6. 6 georgeg Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:02 pm

AIH is dead and some of its dealers should go with them .Never been helped with my 2007 slammer all repairs made outa my pocket!! Thanks AIH!!!!!!!!

7. 7 Bruce Delmar Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Yep, but $10 milion of parts will be sold for how much? 50 cents on the dollar? I bet less.

8. 8 a 1 cycles Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:19 pm

i looked at the auction sale..and their prices were listed..to me they looked like 10% below regular dealer wholesale..i know they didnt pay that much for them..if you factor in volume purchases and specials from manufactures they bought very cheap..then figure in that they never paid a lot of their vendors..so those parts end up being very cheap.when you facotr in not paying for them

9. 9 Brett Sep 3rd, 2008 at 8:32 pm

I feel bad for the owners screwed by this, but I am far from sad to see them go. Hopefully Big Dog will be right behind them.

10. 10 Knucklehead Sep 4th, 2008 at 7:57 am

May just be what happen at Excelcior Henderson. He’s going to sell all and profit.

11. 11 Bo Sep 4th, 2008 at 8:02 am

Why do you want Big Dog to go under ??????

12. 12 BikerDATA (Jeff Bartucci) Sep 4th, 2008 at 8:47 am

Cyril: I spoke with Scott Myers during the 2008 Sturgis rally and he was kind enough to give me a 45 minute recorded interview, and I have some of the answers you ask here today. Give me a couple days to get back home to Florida as I am still in Milwaukee finishing up the H-D 105th event an I will share it with you. I do recall that he mentioned there are legal ramification for him to both own a manufacturing facility and dealership. He actually gave me the specifics on that issue.

Scott seemed very energetic and filled with passion to be part of the Iron Horse Legend and offered some insight and new directions he plans to take the company. At Sturgis he displayed a couple new paint designs and frame modifications that are planed for the new look of the IH. I have those pictures to share with too if you would like to post them.

Jeff Bartucci / BikerDATA.com “Your Rally Resource, When You Can’t Be There”

13. 13 rodent Sep 4th, 2008 at 11:51 am

Indian next?

14. 14 Harry Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I hope that BikerDATA is right about AIH getting back on track with new ownership; I wouldn’t expect folks like Big Dog, Big Bear Chopper and AIH trying to re-invent the wheel right now as far as new bike designs now, think that would be too risky to do from a dollars and cents standpoint right now. When the economy can support it I am sure that ideas that they have stashed away will start coming out, but right now I think M/C Businesses, especially bike builders/manufactures need to be frugal and try to stay in the black as much as they can so that they don’t fall to the wayside.

15. 15 Troy Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

3) In the state of Texas, you cannot be the manufacturer of motorcycles and own a dealership that sells the motorcycles that you manufacture. Thus a conflict, he would be in violation of state law.

16. 16 Conrad Nicklus Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Troy you are exactly correct on that. It is illegal to build the bikes and sell them. Say, for instance, my father wanted to open a dealership. He could not sell Desperados or Jeff Nicklus Customs BUT we could sell Big Dog, IH, Indian, BBC, etc.

17. 17 C Sep 4th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Yes it was sudden but Scott had to close both dealerships RMC & BWC as Troy stated. Employees were given a severance package and paid up until the building was cleaned out from what I was told from an employee.

18. 18 georgeg Sep 5th, 2008 at 6:46 am

The jury is still out on Scott and AIH ! The new ownership has done nothing to honor the warranties of AIH bikes.I hope what Jeff was told may come true someday but i think not !!

19. 19 Bo Sep 5th, 2008 at 7:42 am

If Scott is in with Charles Strand, then beware everyone,everywhere.

20. 20 Cyril Huze Sep 5th, 2008 at 9:52 am

It appears that the $10 million of parts being liquidated belong to Textron, not to the new AIH. Scott Meyers didn’t include these parts at the time he purchased AIH.

21. 21 burnout Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:59 am

Mr Meyers was very smart excluding the parts! peace

22. 22 Gar Sep 5th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Charles Strand and Scott Meyers were ganged up at Sturgis. In fact I was told that the corner that AIH had occupied for years on LaZelle was actually rented this time by Strand & Company. Once again this year he was pumping the AIH’s out the door at bargain basement prices. All sold with the New AIH Warranty Policy,,,,,,,,, No Warranty and all!

23. 23 Brad Jones Sep 5th, 2008 at 5:35 pm

It will not be a surprise if they never actually open up for business. Times are hard. Many sre right about Big Dog. They will probably be next.

24. 24 georgeg Sep 6th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Funny how charlie strand has 2 new 2009 AIH bikes, slammer and a r texas chopper ?

25. 25 Don Sep 6th, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I heard that 2 prototype bikes were built and shown in Sturgis probably to test reactions of bikers. It must be the two 2009 bikes that charles Strand is keeping…for resale. 2009 production equals 2 bikes?!?

26. 26 Nitrous Phil Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Just twist my gut for all those poor saps that bought and owned these things.
    Nitrous Phil

27. 27 Bill Melvin Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:19 am

To clear a few items. We are the group handling the Liquidation of former AIM Parts. They are not part of the Purchase by Scott. They are being sold for the creditors thru the bankruptcy court order. The prices on our sheet are not the selling price. We are open to offers on the parts ranging from 25%-50% on the dollar depending on what items you want. That equals 50%-75% off!! Motor parts require a higher offer than nuts and bolts. We wish Scott all the best in starting up AIM. We are having a huge sale of parts at the site Starting this friday.
    Sincerely, Bill Melvin Jr.

28. 28 Bo Sep 8th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Why doesn’t Charles Strand buy all the parts. He claims to be the number 1 AIH dealer and takes such good care of his customers.

29. 29 Gar Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:16 pm

…..and while Charles Strand is at it, as he is the biggest AIH Dealer known to man or beast, he can personally assume all of the Warranty Items that any “screwed out of a warranty AIH customer” may have. He could then use all the Auctioned parts to make those repairs.

Gar Out

30. 30 Dom Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

On the warranty side, something needs to be cleared up. Scott Meyers has made it clear that he is NOT honoring warranty on existing bikes. He instead has offered to send replacement parts IF he has them. Anything that was said before is null and void.

He claims that he will cover all future bikes fully. Since Charles Strand is the only one of AIH’s past dealership that is, oh lets say, naive enough to actually take possession of any new bikes, that should be a very small number.

Of course that will be after Charles finishes closing down his “hugely successful” dealership and moving it to the “new” location where one HD dealer has already shutdown an operation. LOL. Talk about rolling the dice.

I, for one, hope that Scott figures this thing out before he goes broke. That being said, he’s gonna have to do a hell of a lot better than he has so far. If he can pry Jeff Long’s tongue out of his backside long enough to actually speak with someone with a resume in manufacturing, maybe he can cut the crap and begin tooling up for this 500+ bike a year pipe dream that they’re throwing around to their employees.

31. 31 AIH Rider Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:58 am

These really are like horse’s. I have never seen so much crap involved every time you see one! I agree with most everything on here. The bikes that were at sturgis were just fancied up existing models. Nothing new there, just parts and paint anyone could order.
    As far as Scott Meyers..he is a buisness man and a good one. I think that scott being a rider got him excited about buying Ironhorse. Good product, but extremely bad timing in the industry to start anything up now.
    As far as Jeff Long…what is the deal!! It seems like Scott bought him with the rest of the company. It’s like a lap dog with a camera.
    If Iron Horse is to survive, They better start answering the phone and getting parts and service to the customers that have already bought AIH bikes! These are your customers and the biggest word of mouth people you have. I can not believe that you made it public that you pushed away the riders that have already bought Ironhorse bikes.
    It seems like everyone is on hold as far as buying or dealing American Ironhorse because of the mass confussion and lack of knowing what is going to happen.

32. 32 georgeg Sep 10th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Boy i second that from AIH rider as i own one of these and the management will go nowhere without helping the owners now !! Answer the dam phone or do something if ur in business !!!!!!!!!

33. 33 Real Ironhorse Numberone Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

You can say that again.
    Although there were a lot of bad managers involved with Iron Horse over the past five years, there were a couple of guys there who actually could have saved and run the company themselves. If only they hadn’t been pinned down by the most incompetent string of CEOs ever to drive a company straight into the crapper.
    Those guys were let go over the last year and a half of business with the last one being terminated just after the buyout.
    Jeff Long, on the other hand, is about as useful as Rosie O’Donnell’s vagina. He has a complete lack of formal education or real work experience.
    The inability to get anyone on the phone at Iron Horse now is a perfect representation of what it’s like to have to work with or rely upon Jeff himself.
    His only responsibility after Bill’s exit from the company was to be the constant companion of whoever was in charge. Of course if you value an employee who can secure you all of the liqueur and strippers that your company credit card can buy, then he’s your man.
    He and Dave Marshall were brilliant in the way they both offered up their own wives’ asses for Wil’s entertainment and it was Jeff who hooked Wil up with the stripper that ended his marriage (as well as the one that came close to getting Buck caught).
    With Jeff now running the company with a limp wrist, what could anyone expect of it? No one with a plan, and no one to execute one if they had it.
    To anyone needing warranty on an Iron Horse, it’s not the end of the world, you’re just screwed. Accept that YOU will be paying for the numerous repairs from your own pocket and the aggravation will subside over time. If you bought an 07, dump it. It will cost you more in repairs than the bike originally cost.

And to make it clear one more time,
    Charles, I am Numberone! you’re number two.

34. 34 RedNex Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Numberone, while I acknowledge that everything you have written here is true, I wonder why, at this point, it needs to be reiterated.
    Jeff WAS guilty of everything stated above, but he has found God since then and is truly trying to right his life.
    He wasn’t involved in the operations at IronHorse until scott meyers came in, but since it is going to be a much smaller operation from now on, that may not matter. When something comes up that jeff can’t figure out, he asks everybody and lets them make the decision.
    The decision to not pay warranty claims for existing bikes was not an easy one. it was necessary. The bikes built under bucks administration are of such bad quality that it would break the company very quickly.
    Let go of the past. it does no one any good to keep looking back. this is the new american ironhorse and God willing, it will be just as successful as it was before!

35. 35 Little Tommy Sep 11th, 2008 at 12:05 am

A chill just went up my back.

36. 36 Troy Sep 11th, 2008 at 10:00 am

People usually find God when all hope is lost and they think they’re going down the tubes. I wonder did he find God in a pile of Ironhorse trash or was he on some independent builder’s website when the Dream Team was trying to confiscate a new design that they wanted to call their own? AIH has never had any real engineers, they just made a living off trying to copy other people’s work. I guess it’s better that the small person suffer the loss of fixing bad bikes and spread the cost out so that we can have Ironhorse bikes. I think the bike buying public will decide that.

37. 37 Little Tommy Sep 11th, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Troy, I’m a little concerned that your post above comes off a bit jaded and mean spirited.

Jeff may have actually had a spiritual awakening here.

It’s like when you’re in the Whataburger around 3am and that homeless guy comes in and sits right down next to you and says “god tole meh I was to keel ya”.
    At first you may be nervous or even frightened, but then you realize “hey, this guy is with god, everything is going to be ok”.

I don’t know why god told Jeff that paying to fix their own brand new, expensive, and high maintenance motorcycles would make the unfortunate owners better people for it. But I know god has a plan. If you’ll just give em a chance I’m sure god will tell them the right design to steal so that they get back to work. Maybe the strippers that god picks for them won’t cause anymore divorces.

So, just calm yourself Troy, and go with god. All he asks is that we be good people.

38. 38 fuji Sep 11th, 2008 at 5:43 pm

A friend of mine has an iron horse and what a head ache this machine has been. Around twenty thou on the odometer ; mutiple break downs including electricl malfuctions a tired engine that is being rebuilt , on and on . He believes that he has the most attractive bike on the road ;so I guess he is happy ; but over twenty grand in repairs plus some chrome upgrades. Pride stands in the way.

39. 39 Gar Sep 12th, 2008 at 9:38 am

If Charles Strand ,of American Ironhorse of Ft. Worth, was number uno in the world of American Ironhorse Motorcycles why has he changed the name of his company to Renegade Motorcycles? He has even moved to a nes location!

I know if I had anything to do with an Ironhorse Motorcycle I damn sure would not brag about it whether I was number one, two or 100.

Gar Out

PS: One more thing —– why in the hell would anyone keep Jeff Long?

40. 40 AIHMcFly Sep 12th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Gar, there is only one answer to your questions about Charles. Everyone who has ever had the misfortune of dealing with him knows that he has always been full of that brown stuff that comes out of cows. He’s a water filter salesman for pete’s sake! Just look at the people he hangs out with.
    And that skank that’s always hanging on him, I take one look at her and I’m off to the clinic.

As for Jeff, I had a conversation recently with one of the past managers at IronHorse in which I was calling Scott Meyers a dumbass for keeping Jeff on. This zen master just said to me “don’t judge Scott too harshly, guys like Jeff know how to isolate their boss from everybody else. And it’s real hard for a manager to say no to the person who has his balls in their mouth”.

IronHorse was a great thing for a blink of an eye, but let’s be frank here, it’s been dying for a long time now. Isn’t it time to end the grieving and move on?

41. 41 1550tc Sep 12th, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Brutal bikes may they RIP

42. 42 NEWT Sep 13th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

What is your hard on for JL and Charles Strand- you don’t sound like a number 1 dealer. Appear to be an ex-employee with a real ax to grind.

43. 43 AIH Owner Sep 17th, 2008 at 12:02 am

Love it.. Keep it coming guys.. While everybody takes shots at the bandidos from AIH here we sit with no warranty and broken down bikes..
    What a pitty party this is..

44. 44 jeff Sep 20th, 2008 at 10:05 am

I own an 05 slammer and it had its share of elec. problems in the beginning, but I must say I love the bike way more than my Fat Boy or Dyna I had before.

45. 45 stephen adams Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Bless the work of my hands Lord, for I do everything in your name.
    Bless me Lord as I learn to have contentment in my heart. Bless me Lord as I leave ALL things behind me and strive forward toward the mark you set before me. Bless me Lord as I learn to build up my brothers and sisters instead of tearing them down with negative thoughts and actions.
    Bless me Lord as I stop bearing fall witness against my neighbor. It took 10 years for the rise and fall of AIH. It will take longer than 3 months for Scott Meyers to rebuild the new company. Proverbs says Patience is a virtue. And Jesus “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone” There is not one of us are in any position to be casting stones or criticizing others. The greatest commandment is “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ And the second is “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Amen

46. 46 Jake Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Amen Brother… let these blasphemous mofo’s wallow in their own misery with their bikes! Like anyone here never sinned! Y’all should bought a HONDA! lol

47. 47 A.I.H. Rider Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I find it interesting that the topic has turned to religion and quoting passages. Kind of seems like another smoke screen put in place. Don’t get me wrong, I do not mind religion, just don’t like it used as a defense system. As far as that love your neighbor comment made…Tell Scott that one! He has alienated everyone that thought he was a friend to,made promises he did not even intend to keep,and even screwed over partners in his way to get what he wants. I have heard from people that are closer to Scott that the unfoutunate bike accident and head injury might be taking it’s toll. Many that have known him for years told me at S&S, that he is not even close to the same and they say it is sad.
    Many don’t know what to think of the new company. They say it could go either way(kind of like Jeff Long.) I had to.. If Scott really is wanting to build the best bike possible get rid of that little coat tail riding,no talent, waste of space. Scott you don’t strike me as the lap dance type! You don’t need him!
    I would hope you would see that he is hurting the IronHorse name.
    Let the public know what is going on or we will turn on you big time!

48. 48 A.I.H. Rider Sep 24th, 2008 at 4:47 pm

One more thing. Cyril, PLEASE put the IronHorse comment page and listing back on the front page from time to time. Thanks.

49. 49 Amazed Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:05 am

Who is Rednex and Real Ironhorse Numberone? Jeff and his wife were friends to the Hendrickson family.

50. 50 Dom Dec 5th, 2008 at 2:14 pm

it’s true that Jeff was a “friend” to Buck (of course, that was his job). I wouldn’t want to characterize him as a friend of the family, particularly Buck’s wife who had no Idea what Jeff and Buck were getting into while they were “working”.
    You see, Jeff was a “friend” to the Hendrickson family much in the same way that Chuck Ross was a “friend” to their daughter’s vagina.
    I don’t know who Rednex and RIN are, but the information that they post here is common knowledge to all who worked there and most everyone who didn’t. While most companies have skeletons in the closet, at IronHorse you have to step over them to get in the front door.

51. 51 Concerned Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:58 am

I feel for Scott Meyers , but he is not the owner of the horse he is just Textrons front man , Textron is now in the motorcycle buisness , trying to get back some of their money they invested into the company ,
    Textron is dumping product throughout North America at very low prices to almost anyone that would buy , so why be a dealer and support the company that has pulled your floor plan out from under you , and sells bikes at lower prices than you purchased for .
    just maybe they should allow the manufactures that they so politley pulled floor plan from their dealers buy the motorcycles back at reduced prices that they have done with the horse and i say the horse , i have not seen such a miss managed company in all my life , big cigars and motorcars that is the ways of the horse.
    Textron i would be worrying bought a class action suit , for the arms length is not there and what you are doing is distorying a very honest and fun industry which is having a hard enough time to re build and win back the honesty of the rider .
    Just take the brand name and let it die and make room for the honest manufactures that are trying to service the public with honesty and good product .

52. 52 roy gee Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:02 pm