Big Dog Introduces The 2009 Bulldog Bagger

During the recent Dealers Meeting at their Wichita, KS headquarters Big Dog Motorcycles introduced the 2009 Big Dog Bulldog. For any motorcycle manufacturer having a bagger in its line is a must. So no surprise here. The question is how to differentiate your model(s) to conquer a market share dominated by Harley-Davidson. Evidently by proposing cosmetic solutions that one-off bike builders already apply since a long time to factory bikes: always a lowered stance with aerodynamic bags and windshields/fairings, stretched gas tanks and fancy paint jobs. I would bet that this new Big Dog Bagger is going to carry all the line in 2009. For next year Big Dog Motorcycles also announced another model called the Coyote.

25 Responses to “Big Dog Introduces The 2009 Bulldog Bagger”

1. 1 Dave B. Sep 28th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

Very unattractive. I dont see people passing on an ElectraGlide, a RoadKing, an Indian, a Victory, or even a trike to buy this.

2. 2 Ryan Sep 29th, 2008 at 12:51 am

do you have any pics of the new Coyote, I also have heard that they are bringing back the Wolf for 2009, any truth to that?

3. 3 x titan dealer Sep 29th, 2008 at 11:55 am

If I remember correctly, Titan Motorcycles has/had a model called the Coyote? Did Big Dog acquire the name?

4. 4 Chucky Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Not liking this model. A bagger is a touring model, not a custom with bags. I’ve seen other custom OEM’s try it. GTX by BBC,,,etc. Just doesnt look right. On the other hand taking a bagger and customizing it with extensions, stretched tank…etc.,,,that i can deal with.

5. 5 Nicker Sep 29th, 2008 at 8:34 pm

“… OEM’s try it. ….”

Ya, the molded-in bag idea looked OK on the Honda Pacific Coaster.

“…Big Dog Bagger …”

Seems what people started calling “baggers” in the 60’s were called “Dressers.”

And Dressers were used for long haul touring.

Although this is a nice looking scooter, it doesn’t look well suited to strap on a bunch of camping gear and hitting the road for 10 days.

So, “new Big Dog” yes….
    “Bagger”..??? Don’t really know.
    Do we have another “Suicide Shift” deal here…… ??? …… 🙂

But a “Dresser” it certainly ain’t..

IMHO any way

6. 6 cheesydoesit Sep 30th, 2008 at 9:58 am

I think I would take the OCC “Bagger” over this one…and that is NOT a compliment.

7. 7 burnout Sep 30th, 2008 at 11:02 am

I am reminded of a Victory. peace

8. 8 Blue Sky Rider Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

Haven’t riden the new bagger, but I have had a chance to ride the new Big Dog Wolf.
    It was one very smooth ride. Total class! Spanked all the other bikes I carry!

9. 9 Gunrunner Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Ryan –
    Yes, they are bringing the Wolf back after 6 years of fat tired madness, and after 12 years the Coyote is back into the BDM line up as well. A friend of mine has a ’96 Big Dog Coyote.

10. 10 lowdownchopshop Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

The Wolf has been out and is being replaced by the Coyote this year.

11. 11 out there somwhere Sep 30th, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Better try again lowdown, the Coyote is a Mutt replacement with aluminum wheels and polished struts, speedo and license plate bracket that is supposed to be a couple thousand less MSRP than the wire wheeled Mutt was in `08

The Wolf is a totally new bike with a 121ci X-Wedge, 23″ front and 220X20″ rear and almost 9 1/2′ long. There was a Wolf a few years back but it’s not even related to the `09 other than the name.

12. 12 Blue Sky Rider Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Out there somwhere is correct!

I love the 2009 Wolf. It’s smooth and my new dream bike!
    Everyone that rode it felt the same way!

1st class ride!

Excellent job, Big Dog!!!

13. 13 A$$HOLE Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:11 am

The 2009 Wolf is the bike pictured on the blog last month, related to the BDM layoffs. (Sept 6th or so?) This Bulldog is also a rubber mount, that is rumored to have a fairing, with satellite radio. Possible the best riding dog to date.Too little too late?

14. 14 dark tan superman Oct 6th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

A dollar short and a day late………BDM is in BIG, BIG trouble right now…..BIG trouble.

There are more layoffs on the way. Additionally, they still have units in their warehouse that they don’t know what to do with….I feel for them. I see another AIH in the horizon.

Trust me fellaws, the economy is going to get worse…alot worse. We are not even close to the bottom.

It’s going to be interesting too see how they handle the crisis……I wish them luck. Seriously.

15. 15 Blue Sky Rider Oct 7th, 2008 at 12:35 pm

dark tan superman

I hope Big Dog survives our bad economy. I don’t like seeing any of the manufacturers
    go down. Big Dog is about as classy as it gets next to the great builders. My experience with
    Big Dog has been the best of the manufacturers so far. They are being creative with the dealers in trying to keep us all alive.

I liked the American IronHorse product and hated seeing them go down.
    Not covering warranty for previous buyers will cost the new owner new business.

Each day is a new ride!

Let’s hope the economy gets better!

16. 16 dark tan superman Oct 7th, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Well said Blue Sky Rider, well said.

I hope that they make it through.

Ride on!!!

17. 17 jamesbiker Oct 22nd, 2008 at 1:24 pm

The bigdog pool of bikes is deminishing Fast! Due mostly to some aggressive pricing. There has never been a better time to buy a new Bigdog.

18. 18 FBIBagger4Life Oct 27th, 2008 at 12:43 pm

FBI Motor Company: I just wanted to say I have been riding touring bikes from Harley for a long time. My last purchase before I talked to the guys at FBI was a SE Electra Glide. What I can say is thank god I talked to the FBI crew. Now I have a 2009 Razorback with my color design that I picked out. You talk about a blast to ride, I can get on the bike and just ride for miles.. It has a Harmon Kadon Radio which I did not get the XM radio option but they have it just like this Big Dog.. Oh did I mention that be back the bike for 3 years unlimited miles. If your looking for a real bagger for touring and having the performance (120hp 120ft torque), Talk to the guys at FBI!!! They know there baggers!!!!!!

19. 19 Revert Dec 13th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Definately not a lot of research went into the bagger. Just added bags. Will not be a big seller. Where is all the other goodies. (Fairing, Cruise, Stereo, etc.) Big Dog would be better off to try something like the Electra Gluide, or Ultra Classic. I would buy it!! The motor 121″ would be the bomb in a full dresser. What an awesome thought.

20. 20 Mike Greenwald Dec 13th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Just what kind of fairing did you have in mind?
    Were you looking for a fixed fairing or one that is handlebar attached?

21. 21 Woody Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:42 am

Ordered one

The Bulldog was at the Denver swap. FBI ? can u say clone. This new dog is in a class of it”s own. I have 2 rubber mount Big Dogs, and my first dog 99 pro sport was stolen in AZ. project # 1105, still would like to run into the scum who stole it.

Anyway even with the problems I have had with the Dog’s i ride (electrical, paint ect) I will stick with em….happy trails… Oh by the way the proto type did have the faring, & Big dog has done extensive wind tunnel testing. Nice looking package.

22. 22 Captain Feb 7th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I like Woody, saw the one at the Denver Swap. Very nice looking with “All” the bells and whistles! (which I’m sure like Harley, are expensive add-ons.) They say prices would be between 35,000-42,000.00. I would be curious as to the problems you have had with paint and electrical Woody. The Bulldog has a 250 tire vs. the 220 on the Wolf (which will have optional bags soon). This is a New Model year. Does the same exist for new model years on motorcycles as it does for vehicles.
    With todays economy BDM needs some serious incentives if they want to keep their name out there, and not fold like other customs i.e. Swift, Iron Horse, Thunder Mountain. Is BDM flirting with danger?

23. 23 R LIttle Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

This is a great looking bike GET ASSESSEORIES !!!! I been riding big dogs rubbermounter for years and had harleys . a rubbermounted big dog any time . this thing will eat in the mtns ….. lmao harley .

24. 24 Jen Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:57 am

I have a 2000 Bull Dog and wouldn’t trade it for anything else out there ,,,,, EXCEPT the vibration over 75 mph really wears ya down after some miles. Anybody know if there’s a conversion kit to make it a rubber-mount ? Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks !

Keepin the rubber on the road !!

25. 25 Tink Aug 15th, 2009 at 10:24 am

Who makes the front fairing on the Bull Dog? Does anyone have one 4 sale?