Next Generation Of Motorcycle Builders At The V-Twin Expo.

You know one of the main recurring topics of the motorcycle industry. Attract young bikers. Some are talking, some are acting to insure our industry future. Like this group of next generation builders touring the country under the label “Limpnickie Lot” (because it’s the name of the 1st place where they started to gather in Daytona during Bike Week), just doing their own things: having fun showing their bikes, their hand made custom parts, skateboarding, listening to punk rock and heavy metal and many other improvised cool activities that you do when you are born with the sign X or Y generation sign above your head.

On a rally parking lot near you they are coming, but first they will make a stop in Cincinnati at the V-Twin Expo this weekend where they will show to the next generation of motorcycle dealers how to have fun while promoting the American Manufacturing spirit and spreading the passion for motorcycles to a younger generation. They will distribute the “Limpnickie Lot Builders Manual” a collection of the new generation builders, artists and performers, all in one convenient catalogue featuring bios of cutting edge artists and Vaudevillian performers, some of the best hand made American Parts on the market today and tons of pictures from the year they had on the road. This coming weekend on their V-Twin Expo show booth (#2619) they will project a video presentation of their 2008 show tour. Professionals will perform on a full size skateboarding pipe and music will be loud. Since I am invited to join (although I am a boomer), I will report from the floor. You can see a digital version of the first “Limpnickie Builder Manual” by jumping HERE.

25 Responses to “Next Generation Of Motorcycle Builders At The V-Twin Expo.”

1. 1 harry Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:59 am

First off, I am a part of Gen X, so I’m sure that people will consider my opinion biased; This (in my opinion) is a good thing that there are younger guys out there that like bikes, the ones that most of y’all (and myself) are so fond of. Some guys might be better builders than others, but if they are throwing their hat in the ring and giving it their best, and doing it w/ honest intentions (doing it because they love what they are doing), then more power to them. The only thing I could say is that they keep an open mind and pick the brains of the folks that have been building bikes for awhile and learn what they can from them, and hopefully the older, experienced bike builders will want to share their knowledge with them, being that they (the newer, younger bike builders/enthusiasts) are willing to want to asorb the wisdom and knowlege that has been willingly passed to them. As time passes, building and customizing V-Twins, whether it’s a H-D, Victory or a custom that was built from the ground up will become a lost art if this skill isn’t passed on to enough people that are truly willing to learn. There are some out there that have been fortunate to learn this skill, others have ignored it. I know that this might sound premature but if the torches are to be passed soon from the experienced, established builders that are currently out there, perhaps it would be wise for a Cyril Huze, Ron Finch, Sugar Bear, etc…to take a young builder out there w/ potential and pass on their years of experience and knowlege so that it doesn’t get lost or forgotten. I’m no bike builder and don’t claim to know anything about building bikes, but this is an observation from a guy on the sidelines. I don’t do this to stir the pot or piss people off, but it would be a tragedy if this (custom bike building) were to become an extinct art. It would become a great loss; this is merely an opinion, nothing more…

2. 2 Fred Feb 3rd, 2009 at 10:56 am

I am all for new and innovative products. We are at a crossroads with our products. The real possibility that the new Administration will be going green very quickly, CAFE standards increased, etc. is here.
    I think the USA builder of old is in for the classic “culture shock” of what we “like” to build to be gone soon..The new builders coming up, I believe, will adapt more quickly and easily to change in the concepts of motorcycle design and what will be acceptable.
    I guess a good analogy would be sitting down,, listening to some really great rock and roll and my daughter comes in, drops a “rap CD” in and says this is the music of the future and my generation. I say, who would listen to that SH…..T! BOY, was I proved wrong.
    Gentleman, start your engines, and TRY to enjoy the new rides coming!!

P.S. ( To my fellow builders.Do you really think the newbies really want the Ol” bike builder’s advise?)

3. 3 Kirk Perry Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:19 am

If you want to keep the one-kit-bike-per-person EPA clause intact, stay in touch with the AMA
    The EPA (with the AMA support) has kept our direct link to the past in tact (allowing free-breathing motors with Linkert/Bendix/etc./ carburetors) with the kit-build society.
    Don’t let this one-kit-bike-per-person-per lifetime exemption fade. It is our lifeline.

4. 4 Bill Mathewson Feb 3rd, 2009 at 11:40 am

After reading the 2 comments above I want to write mine to mention that all builders are influenced by good other builders and their bikes. Art is always influenced by art. Same for the art of custom building motorcycles. Usually, top builders don’t give advice. They do their work & show it. If a young builder tells you he is not influenced by anything he has seen, he is arrogant and a liar. You create from your influences, and each brings its own touch. Young builders don’t have to learn in the shop of master builders. They just need to use their professional inheritance as a platform to create something new showing their own personality and lifestyle. I am certain that young builders have respect for their older peers. It’s because of them that they are builders. A Ness, Perewitz, Simpson, Huze, etc…have paid their dues and paved the way to custom building being recognised as a respectable art and profession. They built the Limpnickie lot that these generation x and y are using now as a stage to show their own creativity.

5. 5 Mad River Motor Company Feb 3rd, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I don’t mean to throw around some major objections here, but let’s just state it how it is: Japan happened. DiCE happened. The Jockey Journal happened. We don’t respect our elders?!? I don’t see any posts here about Kelsey Martin. The wifeswapping, bedazzled tassles tribal artwork pruported as art? that happened and people got judged for it. The kids rocking De La Soul Dunks saw the style and found it lacking. They saw Harley steal DiCE’s motto, they saw right through the false pretensions of the Dark Custom handbook, they saw how gaudfy, tacky and ugly most of the prostreet crap being offered my masterfabbers and found it lacking. They looked to the Japanese street culture, the West Coast skate culture and the East Coast Contrarian Culture and found a new way. Big surprise. Every generation finds a new way. Maybe someday soon Perewitz will go back to building those Ness inspired diggers we loved him for. The truth is we’ll probably still see, for at least the next few years, billet barges of ppg paint and the old(er)men who love them

6. 6 toph Feb 3rd, 2009 at 2:31 pm

wow! i really dig that builder’s manual. good work. it captures the spirit and style of the bikes and parts that are hitting the streets right now.

cool is cool, whatever label you want to put on it. pretty much looks like the old days to me- good times, cool iron, hand made shit, style, and attitude.

h-d seemed to have read the street chopper with yaniv and max shaaf, skater/bikey kind of guys with a hollywood look- for their new 883 iron campaign.

just because the days of billet and overpriced crap is gone in the chopper biz, doesn’t mean there isn’t some very cool stuff being built/modified, and most importantly to me– being ridden.

7. 7 Rock Star Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

they are LIMP

the rock star is HARD

& yur wife knows it

8. 8 rideout Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Rockstar you have nothing to say, I bet your boyfriend does your typing for you. Take your penis obsession somewhere else.

9. 9 Conrad Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

No matter what industry, what country, or what you all say, the youth is the future as usual. No matter whether or not you like it, its going to happen as it did to you and will soon be my era. I feel that some of you are stupid for thinking the future will not be good. It will be good as it always has been. One day I will bitch about what music my kids will be listening too and what they will be wearing. The point is this always happens, the youth become the elders and bitch about the new youth of the nation. Big deal, go cry, get over it, then help them become who you became, sucessful.

The End

10. 10 Nicker Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:44 am

“… but it would be a tragedy if this (custom bike building) were to become an extinct art. It would become a great loss; this is merely an opinion, nothing more…”

Building stuff is in our DNA.
    Now way are custom scooters ever gonna “become extinct.”
    However, what is called a custom may very well become totally different animal.

The question simply is this: What will the new kids be building…… ???
    Will it be something to which us old farts can relate? Or will it be too bazaar to engage our interest.

If we’re engaged, then it will be the logical extension of our era into a new paradigm.
    If it’s too strange, then nothing of any relevance will be carried forward. It’ll be a brake in the genealogy.

Music provides a good example.
    Ya can easily trace the roots of contemporary American music back to the music of the Mississippi delta and New Orleans….. That is, until ya get to Rap…..

Rap music(?), on it’s face is totally irrelevant to that history….. It’s a break in that genealogy. The “progression of influence” between generations of music is interrupted at that point.
    Nothing of the old essence is carried forward.

On the first order, this is not a “value” issue, it’s a “difference” issue.
    Value is a subjective call. So, what one values, another rejects out of hand.

However…… one objective metric that is undeniable is “Degree Of Difficulty.”

For example, exactly how hard is it to actually play a guitar, as opposed to how difficult is it to scratch a needle over a record. And so, how hard will it be to build these new custome scooters?

Well, that’s how this old farts sees it, anyway.

11. 11 BREWdude Feb 4th, 2009 at 2:52 am

Yep, I’m not young but lucky enough to be part of Limpnickie. All are great to be around and all have something to offer. My son Chad will be there and should be showing some new product and services we will be offering.
    Hope to meet you there.

12. 12 Rogue Feb 4th, 2009 at 7:35 am

I have spent time with the Limpnickie crew on more than one ocassion and I like what they are doing.
    I remember things from ( a long time ago LOL) when I was young and think of the people that helped me. Some of the things I did and built were considered by some of those senior riders as a little far out and now are considered old school.
    For those of this generation that want help, assistance, information, what ever I think we have a responsibility to give what we can. If they are asking it shows they value your opinion. To those that aren’t asking that is fine as well they will learn another way.
    It is another part of our lifestyle and all should help any way they can.

13. 13 Cade Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:53 am

It’s their time now.

14. 14 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian M/C Co Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Our industry still continues to diversify into exiting new ways which creates opportunities for others. I take my hat off to Chris Callen (Cycle Source Mag) for going out and doing something adeventurous like this. Congrats to Chris, a man with a vision and desire to try something different. Good on ya mate

15. 15 A 1 cycles Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:54 am

i hung with the limpnickie lot guys at biketoberfest….didnt really want to be anywhere else..tabor nash,cj hanlon, bill dodge, bareknuckles, fish from kings of hell..chris was as it should, fun, friends, lots of attitude and direction foward with an eye on where we came from. i am 40 years old and have been in the biz for 14 im kind of stuck in the middle..i build billet baggers and old school bobbers..i have no nitch to be stuck in..i have evolved my business with fuel injection mapping, dyno tuning, and service work..all to keep the bills paid so we can build bikes. see everyone in cincy, and there is a roundtable discussion on this matter on saturday..please come and let your voice be heard

16. 16 Ben Feb 4th, 2009 at 10:23 am

Well said, Toph! +1

17. 17 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian M/C Co Feb 4th, 2009 at 10:30 am

One has to hand it to these guys and if one wants a bust their gut laugh then show up for their awards. It will be like no other. My son is 15 and loves motorcycles and is around most of the builders and m/c scene and for me it is interesting to see what his likes are. He is one of our future guys and I like to remain open and see things through his eyes of what is of interest. Anything we can do to get people and especially our youth on to 2 wheels is a good thing. Once they go to 4 wheels we’ll be hard pressed to get them to go to our side especially if they get into tuner cars at a youthful age. All forms of 2 wheels is good.

18. 18 aft customs Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Bike building is an evolution.The style that’s emerging was once concidered out of date by the generation that followed it.The billet crowd as someone put it are true craftsmen even though that style is fading.They propelled our industry to new hieghts.We respect craftsmanship regardless of the platform or style.Some builders are known for one style & stick with it.Others evolve with the times.We’ve been in this industry for 31 years.We personally like the changes in style because it keeps us from getting bored.Embrace the future & respect the past.

19. 19 AnARchYMoCo Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Hey, I ‘m Gen X. , and you can check out (this generation) of building at the V-twin Expo by visiting our partners 360 Brake and Wizards Detail products. Stop by either booth, we’ll be giving out some free-nasty tees, and some beenies. Maybe some of this limp guys can try to out drink me at the 360 Brake booth. Come up and have one on the house. Hey Cyril isn’t 360 Brake one of your new advertizers. How ’bout a plug. Thanks See Ya at the Show

20. 20 A 1 cycles Feb 4th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

i will come drink with you….i am a true professional though..ask around i come with refrences. lol. see you guys friday night

21. 21 Nitrous Phil Feb 5th, 2009 at 12:47 am

I like what I see with these guys.
    Keep the young blood and fresh ideas coming.
    We turn into stale old farts without it.

22. 22 James (Kiwi) Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:34 pm

This is great.
    The newschool oldschool bikes are cool., At the only real bike show we have in the SouthIsland a young guy (28) won best chopper.It was a 74” shovel rigid frame with a copied front end from Paul Cox’s Berserker. The fork legs were fabricated in sheet so were hollow to keep the sprung weight down.The pedals were from vintage tractors.Pegs were cams,much of it he scratch built.
    He comes from my town and made into the newspaper.His boss that owns an engineering shop let him build it during work time in his workshop so it would be ready intime for the show. (good Bastard).I was one of the judges and happened to be standing close to his father who is a large grizzled old biker (With a Mohawk) when it was anonced he won…you should have seen his face, it made the drudgery and hard work all worth while in one instant!!!
    I saw him ride it through town the other day…very cool

Sorry for rambling on.

Can you buy a hard copy of the manual on line some how? I looked but I am not that smart

Ps the music the younger ones listen to is just not me…never thought i would ever say that!!

23. 23 Cyril Huze Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

James (Kiwi). On the cover of the catalog there is an arrow. Click to download a PDF of the catalog on your computer. Then, you can print it from your computer if you want.

24. 24 Duncan@Lucky Charm Feb 9th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Brew Dude really is old! Anyway its not about disrespecting the old dudes, Arlen Ness USED to build awesome bikes as did Dave Pairatits and many others. The Limpnickie guys would probably all attest to that. The problem is like in the hotrod car world, the guys that built cool raw innovative cars and bikes back in the day now build easter egg colored, tweed upholstered overpriced non rider friendly billet show boats. If you visit the Limpnickie Lot you will breathe a breath of fresh air and see some innovative functionally stylish hand made motorcycles and parts made here in the USA by American Hands.

1. 1 Old School Bobbers » Blog Archive » Next Generation Of Motorcycle Builders At The V-Twin Expo. at … Pingback on Feb 7th, 2009 at 12:22 am