Harley-Davidson Celebrates Harlistas

It’s called market segmentation or the strategy consisting of dividing the market into distinct groups who have distinct needs, wants and behavior and to communicate to each segment with a specific message . And if you already know that in 2025 half of the US population will have a Hispanic origin, no wonder that Harley-Davidson decided to celebrate Latino riders or Harlistas. Harley-Davidson Motor Company is celebrating the dedication and pride of Hispanic riders and enthusiasts by launching a new Latino section on its Website.

“There is a longstanding history between Hispanics and Harley-Davidson and we want to celebrate it,” said Karina Jaramillo-Saa, manager of market outreach at Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “We are very excited about our Harlista site and can’t wait to share in the spirit of our riders and see their wonderful experiences.” Latino Harley riders can share and submit personal stories, photos and videos of their life on the open road by visiting Harley-Davidson Harlistas.. Of course, the idea is to reinforce the companerismo (camaraderie) between Hispanic bikers and to inspire others. Some of the stories will be selected for an opportunity to be featured in an upcoming documentary produced by Harley-Davidson.

30 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Celebrates Harlistas”

1. 1 Nicker Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Excuse me………..?????

“… the Latino Riding Experience…”

Is there something about “Riding While Latino” (RWL) that the rest of us don’t know about…….???

This sorta politically correct stuff is getting way out-a hand.

2. 2 ??????????? Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Do hispanics or whatever, ride some special way all their own?

3. 3 Mike Greenwald Apr 13th, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Alternative energy source from refried beans?

4. 4 rodentftw Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:13 am

Harlistas is the name given to Harley riders in Cuba. Che’s son is a Harlista.

5. 5 MotoXcycle Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:15 am

Muy Bueno!

6. 6 Pedro J. Apr 14th, 2009 at 7:47 am

Rodent. All hispanics riding a Harley are nicknamed Harlistas. It just happened that Cubans are hispanic people. You have no culture or what?

7. 7 Biker Lady Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:19 am

So next the caucasian, black, asian, indian, etc. Harley Davidson websites are coming (or are we being selective and discriminatory)?

8. 8 Divercal Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:30 am

Not caucasuan cause that would be racist…
    I really like my FLHT but I am beginning to
    dislike the MOCO…..

9. 9 ¿ Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:45 am

drink your koolaid Divercal ; )

10. 10 Kirk Perry Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:48 am

Harlista Harley-Davidson® of Cuba
    We’ve made contact with Sergio and company in Cuba. They sent over some pics of their weekly Domino Smack Down and some of the iron they ride.
    The pics are very interesting and once you/ve seen them, then you sort of feel like you know the guyz.
    Unfortunately, you have to register (I think) to see the section called (Other Business & Off Topic). Scroll down to “Harlista Harley-Davidson® of Cuba”.
    No clothing boutique here. This is an old school friendship-dealership.

11. 11 Divercal Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:51 am

I can’t.. I wanna go home!!!

12. 12 ¿ Apr 14th, 2009 at 8:57 am

Once again we see that the groups striving for equality wouldn’t want to settle for it. Pretty sad really, and the MOCO is no different than any other whore. The riding experience is supposed to be just that, not the white riding experience or the black riding experience or the hispanic riding experience. Labeling them is just decisive and makes people think they need to stay with “their own kind”. Oh wait, that IS the Harley experience to some people.

13. 13 CA. Apr 14th, 2009 at 9:18 am

So Harley Davidson is targeting a consumer group that they feel they need to (Harley Davidson is targeting their buying power). I have traveled extensively and love to see Harley Davidson around the world. In talking to people in other countries, many love the way Americans live, and other countries try to emulate our way of life. Riding any American made bike is part of our western freedom to say and do what we want when we want. This is the first time I have seen Harlistas, and I like it! I hope that when some of you ride you are more selective on who you wave to. “Screw it, lets ride”! Maybe a website BikerLady sounds good. I think BikerBitch sounds better.

14. 14 Jay Apr 14th, 2009 at 10:47 am

Ok, I may have gotten a D- in high school spanish but correct me if I am wrong… any term in spanish ending in “as” has a feminine connotation. When I see Harlistas I think woman riders of latin decent.

Also, I believe the term “hispanic” is starting to carry a negative meaning. Wouldn’t the politically correct term be latino or latina…

I don’t know. Riding a motorcycle is what we all have in common. In 2009 it is amazing that we are still segmenting different races even if the data shows that there maybe a target market. Just goes to show that the people running HD do not know motorcycles, they are worried about satisfying the liberal mainstream.

15. 15 Jeff Nicklus Apr 14th, 2009 at 11:00 am

I look forward to seeing some of the “Harlistas” pull up in front of my home on their “shinny livin’ the low life Hardly Davidsons” with their little trailer with their lawn mowers and rakes sticking up on the side ….. that would be soooo politically correct.

Over & Out,

PS: This is sure to stir the pot of the Poor Undocumented Workers group!

16. 16 DK Apr 14th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Chew like my Harley?

17. 17 Bonneville´s fastest naked man... Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Let´s see…I am Spanish,a Spaniard from Spain, Europe. I said so because lots of people think that Spain is in Africa or near Mexico….The term Harlista applies to everybody who rides and enjoys a Harley. Sometines is usefull to emphatize the passion about Harleys. Although it sounds female the word is generic and refers to both genres; bike in Spanish is a female word.
    Well,i really think that having a Harlista folder in the Harley marketing department is a real mistake. I don´t know what the company is thinking about in the last years but it seems that they have lost the control completely. They are behaving like histerical teens.They want everything. They like everything.They want the world,targeting half a million bikes (!!!)Just have a look at the Harley range and you will see that they have a bike to satisfy even the most tasteless customer. There was a time in wich the Company ruled the bike scene; only HD was able to have a Road King or a Low Rider in the range. But now they have V rods that look like Yamahas or Fat Bob´s wich are the wet dream of a junkyard´s doped customizer…Now they want to rule the Latin market, just thinking that falling into the topics is cool.Positive discrimination is dangerous, specially when it could be seen that is made for biz.It is fake. Like all the Harley moves as a company. Sometimes i don´t understand why we love so much this fucking bikes.Maybe a Harley is God, and maybe the company is the Church. I believe in God but not in the Church, the Pope or the Fat Bob designer…..

18. 18 Spackler Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Get over it guys. It ain’t politics. It’s marketing. I may find fault with the motor company for some things, but it knows how to market. In this internet age, selling is all about identifying and defining and serving niche markets. New media allows targeted advertising and marketing, and that’s what HD is doing. I live in So Cal and if you are in business and ignore the Latino market, you won’t stay in business for long. That’s true a lot of places now too.

God Bless ‘Em, I love seeing Latino riders at motorcycle events. Especially the chicas.

19. 19 Rodent Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

pedro, All I know is what I read in the New York Times and they call them Harlistas and to me it’s the Cubans who ride Harleys an make the worlds best coffee..

20. 20 Scott Apr 14th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Just another reason to say screw you Zeimer and screw your motor company too.

21. 21 Nicker Apr 14th, 2009 at 11:07 pm

“… Harley marketing department is a real mistake. I don´t know what the company is thinking …”
    “… another reason to say screw you Zeimer …”

Apparently that leaves Victory and Indian holding the clean end of “The Stick” (so far, anyway).

22. 22 Jeff Nicklus Apr 15th, 2009 at 9:23 am

Rodent, You forgot the Cuban Cigars!

Over & Out,

23. 23 THUGCUSTOMCYCLES Apr 16th, 2009 at 7:28 am

awwww gawd ….why???!!!!

24. 24 Rodent Apr 16th, 2009 at 8:20 am

Jeff, I don’t smoke!

25. 25 Jeff Nicklus Apr 16th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I don’t smoke either …. but my government says I can’t have Cuban Cigars …… sooooo, do I need say more?

Over & Out,

26. 26 customfighterer Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:13 am

why am i not suprised to hear a bunch of negative, ignorant and derogatory statements in regards to this?

keep it up guys 😉

27. 27 Jeff Nicklus Apr 25th, 2009 at 11:37 am

Could the reason be that we are Equal Opportunity Insulters? Nah……….

Over & Out,

28. 28 reno911 May 27th, 2009 at 8:02 pm

This is cool with me.

On the one hand I know it’s just the MoCo making a marketing grab for a market that has growth potential.

On the other hand, it’s cool to see Latino riders (I’m not one) get some recognition.

They’ve been quite loyal to Harley’s, have produced some bad-assed tricked-out machines, and look cool as hell on the road.

One love.

29. 29 Micheal Cook Aug 5th, 2009 at 5:40 am

The sportster family really holds it identity. It is the only 1950’s motorcycle that you can buy new now. I still have the 883 solo saddle and speedo meter only.The vibration is the price you pay for having such large pistons. The engine is solid mounted. This is undoubtedly the hardest shaking motorcycle in modern existence. Such a nice one to have.

1. 1 Topics about Hispanic » Blog Archive » Harley-Davidson Celebrates Harlistas at Cyril Huze Blog Pingback on May 4th, 2009 at 10:34 pm