Best Production Bobber Of 2009. Only $15,995.

When in February Dar Holdsworth from Brass Balls Bobbers gave me a preview on his new production Bobber called Model 1, it immediately pleased my designer eyes. But having seen so many Bobbers marketed with the over-used and not so accurate slogan “Just Under $20,000 For The Blue Collar Guy!” my question was “what is the price tag?” $15,995 replied Dar and during 5 minutes I thought that it was the price of the full rolling chassis & non-assembled parts. No, it’s the way you see it here, girl not included, ready to ride, financeable & insurable because Brass Balls Bobbers is a registered & licensed NHTSA Manufaturer and listed with Kelley Blue Book and N.A.D.A. services.

So, I had to make again a full visual scan, checking all the small details and cash registering in my mind what could be the total of labor & parts. I am telling you, a lot of bike for such a price tag. To the point that I even asked Dar if he had a few tricks that as an brassballsbobbers3industry vet I never found out! No, just the result of choosing premium parts at the new 2009 price and conceiving his model to look both very custom but simple enough in its conception to make it relatively easy to assemble and very reliable when it rolls. Among brand names used: Harley-Davidson for the engine, S&S carburetor, Ultima 6-speed transmission, Excel controls, Tauer open belt, Metzeler tires, etc. Is it the right Bobber at the right time? Yes, I think so.  Model 1 was awarded the title of “Production Bobber Of The Year 2009” during the recent Easyriders V-Twin Expo. Full details by calling Dar on my behalf at 405-270-0995 or visit Brass Balls Bobbers

39 Responses to “Best Production Bobber Of 2009. Only $15,995.”

1. 1 THUGCUSTOMCYCLES Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:29 am

and who said its the best??

2. 2 biker bob Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:32 am

NOT trying to be negative, but, cheap bike….. cheap parts? Big Trouble. Hope Iam wrong.

3. 3 Dino Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:33 am

Pretty cool, but would have wished a moe Bobber gas tank.

4. 4 Renegade Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:38 am

Building bikes in my garage since 15 years, and knowing the price of parts, I can say it’s a very good deal and probably a very low margin deal for Brass Balls.

5. 5 Jerry Broder Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:39 am

I like it.

6. 6 Greg Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:45 am

I feel that Thug Cycles is somewhat jealous.

7. 7 Icy Apr 20th, 2009 at 7:55 am

I’m with Thug and his question. and who said its the best??

8. 8 Jolly Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:03 am

Hey, guys. don’t know how to read an article? “Model 1 was awarded the title of “Production Bobber Of The Year 2009” during the recent Easyriders V-Twin Expo”.

9. 9 Patrick Semery Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:04 am

Did anyone do a test ride? Please, tell us what you think.

10. 10 Cade Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:07 am

Sorry BB but even tho the price is fair and it is a cool looking scooter I must spend my money on ammunition.

11. 11 Jeremy Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:18 am

It’s kind of funny to read former comments in other posts from people screaming that a Bobber sshould not cost $20 to $25K, then when somebody gives them the same bike at 16 K with the same components they are still not happy. Proof that most bikers are a group of whiners, never satisfied, always negative. Regarding the shop at the top of this thread, why don’t you show us the same bike, street legal, that you have built for a lower price. Then, I will be convinced.

12. 12 Jeremy Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:18 am

For 16K, I would buy this one better than a stock Harley. But what about service and warranty?

13. 13 The truth Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:23 am

“Regarding the shop at the top of this thread, why don’t you show us the same bike, street legal, that you have built for a lower price. Then, I will be convinced.”

This thug guy is simply a wanna be, He cant stand seeing others do what he tries to do. He is simply an Ass Clown.

14. 14 Cadillac Joe D. Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:32 am

What you are seeing here is a result of negotiating price in a super competitive market , taking advantage of the numerous deals that are available if you have cash money, and a great marketing poly.
    If you go to their website, you will see the price is for a limited time. I would say this is a marketing tool to launch the company. I am sure the margin is slim, but that is the cost for the marketing to get the name out there.
    You can spend the budget on numerous print ads that get you in the mag with many others and get lost in the pages next to other ads, or take the hit up front and get huge coverage by having a gimmick. In this case, a nice bike for a smokin deal !!! It obviously worked !!!!

15. 15 Tommy Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:11 am

Cool lookin’ base for the price. One can possibly save enough scratch to upgrade key parts in the future. But at least right away, you’re riding.

16. 16 Brian Felgate Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:14 am

Tommy is right. You ride and look custom right away. You can over customize later if you’ve got the bucks.

17. 17 Shifter Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Congrats Dar. Hope you sell a lot. Not too many because mass production is a bitch.

18. 18 ProMoto Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:18 am

The people that blog on this website are so bias. I’m not hearing any real negative comments (which is great, really) on Brass Balls – even when they are called out on cutting prices on their bikes. “Oh yeah, there going out of business by golly.” “Yep, that’s the first sign of hardship to come.”

You don’t hear that because… it’s a “bobber”. If it was Big Dog or Big Bear this tread would have 65 comments already, bashing back in forth with the same rhetoric.

In all seriousness, congratulations to Brass Balls for building a great bike, and winning the Production Bobber of the Year.

19. 19 Brock Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:21 am

the price is for a limited time….get it while you can.

20. 20 Bill Grimaldi Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Great price for a street legal custom package. Getting one out of the showoom let you avoid the aggravation of dealing with vendors when building in your garage and also the registration process hassle.

21. 21 Bobfather Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:55 am

I think it’s a good deal for what you’re getting, Harley motor, unknown frame maker, Kraftech maybe, Ultima tranny, middle of the road quality parts. For the price it’s decent. Personally I won’t bend that way and still offer anyone to come up with a build list to compare part to part against what we offer as far as quality and see if they beat our pricing. So far I’ve done this offer for 3 years and nobody can do it. If they can then we’ll match the pricing. No limited time offer, this is every day, all year, every year. And to boot we don’t do production anything, we build every bike one at a time to match the client’s specs. We just don’t feel compromising quality for the sake of a low price is worth it in the long run. All of our bikes are financeable, insurable and come with our proprietary VIN and MSO.
    I will comend the guys at BB for doing something in the $15k range. That is very tough to get pricing down there and still make anything. I hope they sell a bunch of them.
    As far as who says it’s the best, well they did win the award at the V-Twin Expo. I think the question goes deeper as to maybe who actually votes on this award, what’s the criteria, etc.

22. 22 Expert Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:41 am

I just love the way everybody is a freekin expert when it comes to stuff like this.

When you get right down to it, Anything other than a Harley, Victory, maybe an Indian, all use the same parts that are availible to any one of us. One aftermarket bike is no different than any of the others out there. Yeah some parts may be different on this bike or that bike, but what ever.

None of these bikes cost more that $10-12k or so to build, thats the facts. We all can do it, so let it be.

Move on the the next subject to be an expert at.

Its getting to the point where everyone thinks they have to only version of this type build. Well you dont have the only version, and yours is not any better than any other version, they are all the same stinkin bikes, just different paint.

23. 23 Dar - Brass Balls Bobbers Apr 20th, 2009 at 11:45 am

I must say, Cyril’s blog incites quite a discussion. Thanks to Cyril for writing about us. I have never commented and was going to comment yesterday on the American Made issue when someone apparently took a shot at us, but was having too much fun playing with my kids and thought I would wait until today. To my surprise, there is more for me to comment on.

First I have to clear up that our Classic Bobber won Production Bobber of the Year 2009. Not our Model 1. The Model 1 was introduced earlier this year primarily because of the state of the economy. You see, I started this company with the premise to build the “above average bike for the average Joe”. My margins are probably less than others. I run a lean shop. I make good business decisions and align my company with other good companies. I do all this to produce the best bike for the money for our customers.

Let me say thank you to those who applaud what we are doing. Now let me address those who want to critesize in order to make themselves look good and apparently do not know much about us or know much about our quality parts suppliers. Our bikes are not cheaply built. To the contrary, they are top quality. It is difficult to build a top quality bike at the price-point where most can afford, but that is precisely what we do. Each bike is had made and our customers have many custom options to choose from. We use top quality components and whenever possible, American Made parts. I would estimate that 75percent of our bike is top quality American. Every bike starts with a Racing Innovations frame made from 1026DOM steel from Famed World Champion Drag bike racer/builder, Sam Wills. We offer only American motors, H-D, S&S and Crazy Horse and each breath through D&D performance exhaust that we ceramic coat. We use Tauer Machine Primaries, S&S carbs, Excel billet machined Hand and Foot controls, Wilwood performance brakes and rotors, Arlen Ness mirrors, biltwell seat pan with our own leather work wrapping it. We use Motion Pro cables, Diamond XLO chains, Metzler ME 880 tires and we paint in house. We have a custom wire harness build by Wire Plus and have just gone to their black face digital speedo as our standard on all bikes. That should give people an idea of what kind of components are on our bikes.

Quality and style are priority one with me. Frankly our bike should be priced higher. No question. $15,995 won’t last long on the Model 1. But even when it goes up, it won’t go up much. It is our commitment to help people get on our bikes who want to, not to help “launch us”. Frankly we have been launched for quite some time. We recently did a give-away bobber for IronWorks magazine that was covered for all of 2008 and are doing another this year. For the last two years we have place 3rd and 5th respectively in the AMD World Championship of Bike building (production class), which is judged by our peers – other top builders.

We are currently raffling our World Championship 3rd place bike to support the Intrepid Fallen Heros fund.

We are not perfect by any means, but we do strive to deliver perfection to our customers for a price that they can afford. We have more surprises up our sleeves.

Anyone who wants to contact me directly, I welcome your comments.

24. 24 Maxfieldsdad Apr 20th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Love the bikes and only wish BBB had a broader dealer network. I was recently in the market for a bobber and decided it was between BBB, Flyrite and Sucker Punch Sallys. Ultimately, I went with Sucker Punch because of quality, availability, paint options and a bigger dealer network that offered me a fair trade-in and negotiated on price. But every dealer out there I spoke with, regardless of what they sold, had great things to say about BBB. Not so with Flyrite where there were some questions on build quality (and upon personal inspection I felt there was something lacking there as well). Good luck Dar; keep on cranking them out…I’ll be after one of your Retro Choppers one of these days.

25. 25 cooldaddy51 Apr 20th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Nice Bike for the Buck! But go back to retailing 101 and it states volume sales rarely make up for low margins.Been there done that! You truly have to sell a bazillion to work off a 10% GPM. How about factoring in warranty payouts on that particular model? volume works if you are selling widgets that the general consumer needs on a everyday basis ,not limited production runs on motorcycles that will go to a fraction of the general public. I say ” danger zone”, but what the hell nobody ever listens anyway so build as many as you can and try to upgrade your 16G customer to a model with some decent margins.

26. 26 WILLIE Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Buy a cheap softail and chop it your self save $$$$cash for smoke out..But it does look like a nice bike HD motors are the best way to go for the price…

27. 27 Boss Hawg Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

As to your questions at the end of your comment, I would like to know Dave Nichols involvement if any?

Boss Hawg

28. 28 Boss Hawg Apr 20th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

We wish you all the best!

Boss Hawg

29. 29 David Apr 20th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

It looks like Cyril said this is the best it’s his blog!!! Thug can you build one better for the same price? Matbe then yours might be better!!! I think we can probably let Cyril make the call he’s a preety good judge of a bike!!!!

30. 30 South Side Kustoms Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:57 pm

To the negative comments “That’s Ugly and God Don’t Like Ugly” – I have had the privelege of meeting Dar, Dar is a great guy. We went head to head in a biker build off in Branson Mo, at the Rock Ride and Remember Rally. He won, We lost..but out of it came the inspiration of our Stinger base model. What Dar or any other builder does with their business is really no one’s concern as long as Dar or anyone of us builders, are happy at the end of the day. He’s out there bustin his hump and pushin his product just the same as anyone of us. He won an award and Congrats to him for that and the Brass Balls Staff. Any one of us would like that title, if you say you don’t your full of it.

Dar and his Brass Balls Crew are one of the few of us who are trying their hardest to put out a quality product, that everyone can dig. He has a production bike at a quality price, you get what you pay for and if you want something more they’ll add to it–just the same as anyone of us builders.

There are some of us who offer good parts and have posted that here – like it’s going to stir a wave of purchases for you. If your a fan of his great if not, so what. Over the long haul those who can hold the test of time will be left standing. I don’t see Brass Balls going anywhere, or few others to make a point. Hell this is our time as builders to get it together and either support each other or fall by the way side. Gee I’m sure conversations like this happened years and years ago between “gentlemen” when Harley and Indian were starting (except then it was confined to a street corner or tavern – so you only looked like an idiot in your little corner of the world instead of worldwide to anyone who reads this board)

With Times like this it’s time for builders like Brass Balls Bobbers – South Side Kustoms – Sucker Punch – to shine and steal the big guys steam. Get over yourselves. BBB is doing a great job at what they do. Congrats.

I look forward to another build off DAR! BRING IT MAN! LOL

31. 31 Andy "Big Man Fritz" Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I had Dar and BB staff buld me one ass kicking Bobber in 2007 – oh yeah, it was delivered in Sturgis. A great maching from one hard working MF’er. Dar is a freakin hero in my book. Patriot, veteran, husband, dad and trying to run and build an ass kicking bike shop. Oh yes, it has had one issue – stuck float. Never anything else. H-D shops work on the engine…but never needed them to. The damn frame from Sam Wills Racing Innovations is so thick and stiff it can handle way more HP. Dar – Congrats on the best production Bobber for 2009. You are a fine man and a great freind – oh and guess what folks. I never met Dar until I saw my bike for the first time. I’m no set up. He worked with me on design (my wife too as it was a damn gift!). Dar worke dit all over hundreds of emails and phone calls. He is true, damn good quality and damn good price. I really don’t care about bike shows too much – I like to ride. But since many posts here are talking about this show and that judge and so on. My 2007 Brass Balls took First Place in the only hsow I out it in – Full Throttles West Coast Bike Rally 2007. Keep it up Dar, you work your ass off and now it is getting attention and paying off. You and your family deserve it.

32. 32 Conrad Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I believe you are a wanna be on this blog and in this industry. I have looked you up and your “company” and I have found a few little snippits of information besides that you are a NOBODY.

You know my standpoint on this and what my feelings are about low end low priced bikes. But I will say I wish you the best of luck and hope your prosper with your sales.

33. 33 Tom Kapp Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:39 am

It is a nice bobber.
    Does this bike meet the EPA standards?
    Harley does not supply EPA engines like the other manufactures.

34. 34 J Apr 21st, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Sweet bike, smart pricing- wish them well.

How can you tell someone isn’t an expert on a topic? Easy- when they name themselves “expert” on an anonymous blog…….. Idjit.

35. 35 Expert Apr 21st, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Ever hear of a thing called sarcasm?

I am the furtherest thing from an expert.

The point was, that everyone on this page is a Freekin expert on this subject, and not one of them can do the job building a bike like this, including you…J-ass.

36. 36 J Apr 22nd, 2009 at 8:09 am

LOL- thanks for proving my point, dude;

Have someone explain it to you, watch their lips move…..

37. 37 Conrad Apr 23rd, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Keep up the good work man.I am sure you know but ignore Thugs comments. Whoever they think they are they are no one. You will be here way after they are lost and gone.

Again keep up the good work and build the shit out of em, with good quality of course!!

38. 38 Conrad Apr 23rd, 2009 at 11:16 pm

While Dar atleast does his bikes to look different from others your bikes look ALMOST A PERFECT MATCH to the late 90s early 2000s Titan bikes. Are you trying to be Titan? Because last time I checked they have failed 2 or 3 times because they suck and are egotistical assholes just like you. Stay in Canada.

39. 39 spyder Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I’ve been to Dar’s shop and met the guy’s and his wife. they are quality folks and build quality bikes. I bought one of the model 1’s and believe me it draws a crowd on bike nights.
    Dar is a great guy and I think its great to get a bike out there for the price on this one…

side note here: folks loved the fact that they didnt leave finger prints on that wrinkle powder coat when they touched the bike at a show i entered it in…
    good luck bro.
    you guys know me as mike at BBB from SC.