Live From New Orleans Bike Week.

New Orleans Bike Week is already nicknamed the Bikers Mardi Gras. The only bikers event: where the well known builders and the new generation (belonging to the Limpnickie Lot Tour) exhibit their custom bikes in the same building; where you see double burn outs, (meaning with change of rear wheel by a pro Nascar team to burn twice the rubber in half the time); where top Louisiana Chefs abandon their kitchens to have their pictures taken with the industry celebrities; where Custom Builders team up with famous Chefs to cook in a “Chrome Kitchen”;  where, me and my fellow culinary experts, have to eat 6 fabulous Cajun meals in 2 hours 3 days in a row to decide who will get the title of Iron Chef (pun intended) of New Orleans Bike Week; where…. A successful inaugural Bike Week? Yes. An event like no others? Yes. An event to renew next year? Yes.

13 Responses to “Live From New Orleans Bike Week.”

1. 1 Jason May 10th, 2009 at 8:51 am

Let’s see some crowd pictures. I have friends that attended and said not a big crowd and no vendors. They saw everything in just a couple hours. What is the official attendance numbers. They said there where plenty of vacant hotels rooms.

2. 2 bigalyts May 10th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Does Bike Week go till next weekend?

3. 3 DK May 10th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I was there yesterday and there were bikes in the quarter . Not a lot but there were some. Have you ever tried to find a place down there to park? I saw bikers in Jackson Square, Coyote Ugly and other places in the quarter. I had one bartender ask me why all the bikes were in town. Seems like the owners of this event didn’t do enough local advertising. I live 150 miles north of Nawlins and find about the rally thru this website.

The set up down there is a hell of a deal. Everything you need is right there. I hope it turns out successful.

4. 4 Big Dummy Dave May 11th, 2009 at 6:42 am

New Orleans is a great place for a bike week as it offers everything needed for the party. But it will only work if the powers to be in the motorcycle magizine world support it without the childish and selfish attitudes shown in the past. It is way past time for all the mags to collectively support and promote this event for the all the bikers.

5. 5 Cyril Huze May 11th, 2009 at 7:07 am

Big Dave. I guess you talk about pre-reporting. During the rally, were present: Marilyn Stemp from IronWorks, Michael Lichter from Easyriders, Cheris Callen from Cycle Source Magazine, many video crews/local TV’s and myself reporting in this Blog. So, you can be assured of a lot of post media coverage.

6. 6 Tommy May 11th, 2009 at 7:16 am

I was there, beautiful surrondings. I would send in a crowd shot, but there wasn’t any. Better luck next year, the idea is great but people are needed.

7. 7 Geeze May 11th, 2009 at 8:16 am

I thought it was an interesting take from the local news and then the comment that follows from a local business owner. It seems to me that follow up coverage on an event should include everything – the good – the bad – and the ugly!

8. 8 Brandon May 11th, 2009 at 9:02 am

Everybody should be glad that people are still building bikes and organizing shows. New Orleans was not perfect, needs to be improved and must be encouraged. Hey, Cyril, did you gain weight after tasting the food of all these NO Chefs’s food?

9. 9 Wyked Illuzionz May 11th, 2009 at 9:15 am

As a vendor at motorcycle shows/rallies we are always grateful for the promoters and show organizers that give it a shot. The first year of any event is always difficult. It is where we learn “what to do” and “what not to do” for the next time. New Orleans is an exciting location and I can’t help but think it will only get better with time. Practice makes Perfect!

10. 10 Kirk Perry May 11th, 2009 at 10:09 am

What they let Charles Manson out on work-furlough to ride his Captain America flathead?

11. 11 Marilyn Stemp May 11th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Kirk, that’s Charlie Ransom, not Charles Manson and he’s an awesome Wall-of-Death rider. If you haven’t seen him ride, you’re missing something.

Wyked Illuzionz, you said it: any first year event need to be cut some slack so it can be better next time. The organizers of NO Bike Fest are open to constructive suggestions. I’ve already voiced several and received a thoughtful hearing.

As far as Big Dummy Dave’s comments regarding the magazines supporting such events, we’re glad to help spread the word, that’s part of the mission. Post event coverage is on the roster, too. Maybe I’m naive but I missed the “childish, selfish attitudes shown in the past.”

I’d like nothing better than to see NO Bike Fest succeed and grow. The city knows all about hospitality, the people there need and want our presence, and it’s a great destination city, bike event or not. There are many layers of synergy to tap into between motorcycle riders and the city of New Orleans – the Chrome Kitchen Cookoff Cyril mentioned is one example. I was skeptical of the idea when I first heard of it, but I learned that after Katrina, New Orleans restaurants were among the first businesses to reopen and local chefs were feeding the displaced and homeless even before aid arrived from elsewhere. That kind of charity work is second nature to the biking community so pairing chefs and bike builders makes sense after all. I nominate Cyril to be placed on the cooking roster next year!

12. 12 Kirk Perry May 11th, 2009 at 11:18 pm

“Kirk, that’s Charlie Ransom, not Charles Manson and he’s an awesome Wall-of-Death rider. ”
    Your kidding me of course. If not (I guess now I do see the slat-board wall behind him), then it’s an actual real-life modern miracle of mistaken identity.

13. 13 Walt Lumpkin May 12th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Cyril: In addition to the above mentioned media, Thunder Press had 2 people in NO,
    USBiker Parties was represented as well as the obvious among others.

I know from talking with the media reps and my personal experience the promoters
    were more than receptive of ideas and suggestions to improve the marketing and
    event rides.

Promoting is not for the faint of heart or those with shallow wallets. Kudos to Larry,
    Jay and John for taking on the project and doing a first class job. There were a few
    hickups at the off site rides but nothing major and nothing that can not be corrected
    with minimum effort.

While it is true that the crowds were not huge during the week the attendance seemed
    to pick considerably on Saturday. The lack of marketing seems to be because although
    the promoters knew in December what the event would entail it wasn’t until March that
    the contracts for the facilites and sponsors were finalized. Not much time for advertising
    especially in the national magazines because the lead time can be as much as sixty
    days to place an ad.

The Steel Pony was one of the best and NO Bike Week has the potential to be even
    better. The convention center and adjacent facilities have room for expansion and

I personally look forward to returning next year.
    Cyril it was great finally meeting you face to face.