Motorcycle Icons Exhibition. A Call From Michael Lichter To All My Readers

nichaellichteratcyrilhuzeblogThis post is an appeal from famous photographer and industry friend Michael Lichter to the worldwide motorcycle community, professionals and individuals, for help with the annual Sturgis Art Exhibition  “Rebel Rousers  Motorcycle Icons that Inspired Us to Ride”. Michael wants to know what inspired you to ride? For example a person, a motorcycle, a movie, an object, etc.  You can post here in “comments”. Michael reads my blog and I will give him your email contact if your experience, suggestions, materials, bikes you know or in your possession, etc can help with this major Sturgis Art Exhibition. Read and answer to Michael’s letter.

“I am hoping some of you will like the idea behind this years Sturgis exhibition  enough that you will consider putting in your two cents as to art / bikes / objects that we may be missing, or perhaps where to locate some of the pieces we have identified and not yet located. As in past years, we depend on the motorcycle community that comes to Sturgis to help out by loaning pieces for the show. In addition to what we have listed, there will be a film and music component as well. Of course, all this we be bundled into the great new 7,000′ building Woody and his team at the Buffalo Chip are putting up to house the annual exhibition as I write. Another great improvement is the free admission all 7-days to the gallery (through a separate entrance that does not require entering the Chip)

We have had a lot of help already through the in-kind sponsorships of the National Motorcycle Museum, the Wheels Through Time Museum, the Harley-Davidson Museum and the Sturgis Museum. Jeff Decker is personally loaning two bikes from his collection in addition to his own art, and others are making a special trip to Sturgis to participate with their contributions.

Our goal is people should say “WOW” when they enter the gallery and see some of the bikes and objects that may have inspired them to ride. There is also a component of the show that will look at the past 10-years and bikes that may be considered iconic in the years to come”. Michael Lichter

So, please comment below to tell Michael and the world what inspired you to become a biker and if you can contribute, provide or locate anything of interest for his Sturgis exhibition. On his behalf, thank you in advance. Cyril.

Bikes confirmed in the Rebel Rousers Exhibition
1. 1929 Indian 101 Scout original Wall of Death bike, displayed on an original WOD wood shipping crate. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection)
2. 1956 H-D KHK identical model/color to Elvis’s bike on the cover of the Enthusiast May 1956. (Jeff Decker collection.)
3. 1975 Sportster as in Then Came Bronson, purchased new after seeing the TV show. (Bill Weder collection.)
4. Arlen Ness Untouchable Knucklehead 1964-1977 from the AMA Museum exhibition. (on loan if they can arrange transport.)
5. Billy Bike (Dennis Hopper) chopped Panhead replica from Easy Rider. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
6. Billy Lane Hubless (Konstantine Zakzanis collection.)
7. Cal Rayborn’s HD 68 KR 750. Identical bike to the Daytona 200 winning bike in 68 & 69. (Jeff Decker collection.)
8. Captain America (Peter Fonda) bike from Easy Rider. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
9. Dragon Bike (Peter Fonda) replica from Wild Angels. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
10. Evil Kneivel 72 XR 750 replica. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection)
11. Jesse James’ Discovery / Camel bike. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
12. Orange County Choppers POW bike from the American Choppers series. (Orange County Choppers collection.)
13. Silent Gray Fellow. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection)
14. Wild Child custom by Indian Larry from BBO series. (Elissa and Bobby Seeger collection.)
15. Brough Superior SS100 Pendine (racing Model) similar to that used by Lawrence of Arabia. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)

Bikes we would like to include in the Rebel Rousers Exhibition
1. 1971 HD FX boat-tail – first factory custom
2. Britten V-100
3. Chino’s (Lee Marvin) H-D Flathead replica
4. CHiP’s Kawasaki.  (Sturgis Museum has a similar Sturgis PD bike, but we are hoping for a CHiP’s bike.
5. Happy Days Fonz replica bike (Triumph or Sportster.)
6. Honda 305 Superhawk like what Elvis rode. (Sturgis Museum has a 67 Honda Dream 305)
7. Malcolm Smith Huskevarna
8. Meter Maid servicar
9. Original 1960’s Schwinn Sting Ray (like we used to ride making sound effects like they were choppers!)
10. Panhead replica of “Tex Bike” from Norman Rockwell -like cover of Saturday Evening Post. (Mil Blair isn’t going to Sturgis this year so we can’t get his great bike there.)
11. Police Bike
12. Replica Great Escape McQueen Triumph Twin– modified TR6 Trophy (to look like a German bike.)

Objects / Art confirmed in the Rebel Rousers Exhibition
1. American Choppers clock from the TV show, to be auctioned off during bike week. (Courtesy Orange County Choppers)
2. Born Losers Movie Poster. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
3. David Mann’s Ghostrider. (Segal Fine Art / Easyriders Magazine)
4. David Mann’s Hollywood Nights / Sunset Strip. (Segal Fine Art / Easyriders Magazine)
5. Easy Rider Movie Poster, color of Fonda  & Hopper in riding in lower right. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
6. Easy Rider Movie Poster,yellow & black. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
7. Easyrider Album cover.  (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
8. Evil Kneivel event poster. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
9. Evil Kneivel helmet. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
10. Evil Kneivel lunch box. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
11. Evil Kneivel Movie Poster. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
12. Glory Stompers Movie Poster. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
13. Happy Days Comic Book. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
14. Hell’s Belles Movie Poster. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
15. Hells Angels on Wheels Movie Poster, Shattering True Story of the Hells Angels. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
16. Hunter Thompson’s Hells Angels Book
17. Ken and Barbie Stand up Dolls.  (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
18. Larry Questionmark Sign from outside shop. (made by & on loan from  Keino Sasaki)
19. May 1956 cover of the Enthusiast with Elvis on K model Harley. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
20. Motorcycle back patches from defunct clubs, individually framed in grid of four. (Jeff Decker collection.)
21. On Any Sunday Movie Poster, orange, black & white of McQueen jumping. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
22. Outlaw Crossing the Ohio – original Danny Lyons print, purchased from the photographer in 1982. (Michael Lichter collection.)
23. Rollie free BW photo flying down the Salt flats Photo. (Jeff Decker collection.)
24. Rollie Free flying down the Salt flats sculpture by Jeff Decker. (Jeff Decker collection.)
25. Roustabout Movie production still, BW of Elvis Presely on his Honda 305 with guitar strapped to it. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
26. Saturday Evening Post cover with Rockwell like painting of kids w/Panhead. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
27. Stars, Stripes and Stories. David Uhl’s Wild One tribute painting. (David Uhl collection.)
28. The Bikeriders, original book by Danny Lyons. (Michael Lichter collection.)
29. The Great Escape Movie Poster, small poster of Bud Ekins jumping the fence. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
30. The Wild One Movie Poster. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
31. Then came Bronson Album cover. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
32. Then came Bronson Movie Poster, color from Spain. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)
33. Von Dutch Eyeball by Jeff Decker. (Jeff Decker collection.)
34.Wild Angels album cover. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
35. Wild Angels Movie Poster, BW of Fonda on the Dragon Bike. (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
36. Wild Angels Movie Poster, illustrated, color w/Nancy Sinatra leaning on Fonda.  (National Motorcycle Museum collection.)
37. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance book. (Wheels Through Time Museum collection.)

Objects / Art we would like to include in the Rebel Rousers Exhibition
1. Bumblebee shirt like Chino wore in the Wild One
2. David Mann’s Forstero’s Riding down the highway. Said Ed Roth on it.
3. Easyriders magazine – issue #1 and same for Street Choppers.  Any other suggestions like this?
4. Electra Glide in Blue movie poster
5. Happy Days – The Fonz, leather jacket similar to what was worn in show.
6. Harley-Davidson signage (tin, plastic, other) of #1 and bar & shield logo
7. Honda 305 Superhawk like what Elvis rode. (Sturgis Museum has a 67 Honda Dream 305)
8. Indian Signage
9. July 21, 1947 issue of Life, p 31 with photo from Hollister of drunk on the bike.
10. Lawrence of Arabia movie poster.
11. Miniskirt Mob (1968) Movie poster
12. Movie Poster of Marianne Faithful from Girl on a Motorcycle
13. Original Honda Ad: “You meet the nicest people”
14. Painting / Print of the Von Dutch Eyeball
15. Poster / Print from the movie Mask
16. Poster / Print of Brigitte Bardot on a Harley.
17. Poster / Print of Janis Joplin on Harley
18. Poster / Print of Jimmy Hendrix on Panhead
19. Roustabout movie poster
20. Schott Perfecto 1-Star jacket like Brando wore in the Wild One (or similar.)
21. The Wild One replica bike similar to Triumph 650cc Thunderbird that Brando rode.
22. Wall of Death Graphics original graphic panels
23. Worlds Fastest Indian movie poster
24. Worlds Fastest Indian replica bike

26 Responses to “Motorcycle Icons Exhibition. A Call From Michael Lichter To All My Readers”

1. 1 Kevin Warren May 24th, 2009 at 11:57 am

At the age of 3 years old I climbed onto my plastic, red motorcycle and ran away
    from home to live with my grandfather. A rider since WWII he had a shop where
    he made customs. The most prominent in my memory was an old yellow Indian.
    That didn’t mean that their weren’t others just that most of the time they’d
    arrive in bushel baskets. At a Sunday family gathering for dinner and socializing
    he showed me a such a basket of parts. The following weekend he showed me
    a motorcycle that had come from those baskets of parts.

I can’t say how much I learned from him nor my uncles who are also riding bikes
    they’ve built themselves. The main lesson was if you’re going to do something,
    do it right or not at all. That one lesson in and of it’s self has taken me very far
    both in life and all I do.

30 years as a photographer I’ve been lucky enough to travel the world and
    see what others may only imagine. Recently, call it a mid life crisis or whatever
    I’ve returned to my roots with my grandfather wrenching as a boy.

Now, a third generation builder/vendor I hope that lesson is apparent in the
    work I’m doing since it is my Grandfather still looking over my shoulder from
    above, wherever he rests, that gets me through those tough problems we all encounter.

Michael, IF you’re reading I do really enjoy your work and hope others behind
    the lense can draw inspiration. Click on my name, look at the folio section and
    you’ll see what I mean.

Best of luck to you, all you do and those you’ve touched through your images.

2. 2 Nicker May 24th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

The earliest memories i had of my dad were those of me riding in front of him, between his big tanned arms, on the tank of the family motor bike, headed to the center of a small town in Germany.

As his heart slowly gave out we would sit and talk about my last build. Bikes were a big part of our relationship. I still haven’t finished that scooter.

The last time my dad and i rode together, his ashes were in a small gold box strapped to the seat of my bike, headed to a cemetery in a small town in CA.

For me, Motorcycles are a family thing.

3. 3 Bonneville´s fastest naked man... May 24th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Hello everybody…This is Adolfo from Spain; yes, i know, my nick sounds strange but it has an explanation. Well, i don´t consider myself a biker in the strict sense of the word, but i would like to share with all Cyril´s readers my little story.
    My father was a one of a kind man; he owned one of the few 1947 Indian Chiefs that move around Madrid in the early fifties. He had a shirt embroided with the Indian logo and went all the way down the boulevard with his heavilly accesorized yellow Indian, greased hair and a cigarrete hanging in his mouth…My mother forced him to sell if he wanted to get married!!!! So the Indian was sold. But years later he couldn´t resist the tentation and bought a 1963 Panhead. I have born in 1970. One of my very first remembers of my life was my father with his blue Duo driving with all my sisters and brother on the buddy seat, grabbing me by the neck ( like a puppet) and reving up all the street…I can still remember the smell of this machine. Unfortunatelly my dad died suddenly when i was 7 years old, and the Pan was abandoned in our garage.I was never interested in motorcycles, but i was a real car nut. When i was 21 i realized i have an old Harley in the garage, so i ask my mother about fixing it; i really needed it!!! I spend one and a half year restoring it, without any idea of how to deal with it. In 1993 i started writting for the Spanish edition of Freeway Magazine. In 1995 i opened Bonneville Motorworks, a shop dedicated exclusivelly to Harleys. I have travelled round the world knowing the most interesting people of the industry; i´ve been partying in Sturgis, drinking wine in Germany, running naked in the Utah desert…I am not a biker, but i think i owe too much to a man i did not know and a bike i´ll keep for the rest of my life.

4. 4 Jeff Henry May 24th, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Nothing original. I ride because at 14 I saw the 1969 movie Easy Rider. Unfortunately, I have nothing of interest to loan to Michael Lichter.

5. 5 Steve Carr May 24th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Well, here is what I can contribute.

My Dad told me of the time he bought his first bike back in the early 60’s. He had never owned a motorcycle before, and decided he wanted a baike. so he drove down to the Honda dealer in Dothan, Alabama, and got himself a new Honda, at that time i was maybe a 150 street bike. Any way, he didnt know how to ride, so they gave him a quick lesson in the parking lot, wel he set out on his way home, about a 30 mile ride, he gets pulled over by the law, and explains to the officer that he had just bought the bike, and didnt really knoe he was going that fast. I guess back then things were different from today, to officer let him go and all went ok from there.

This is the earliest story I have of motorcycles in my short 46 yrs on this earth.

It seems like such an inocent story, one that seems could never happen today with all the laws and leagle problems we have.

Any way, hotp you can use this in some way, and if you need more acurate info on this story, it is availible from my dad at any time.

Steve Carr
    Lightning Rod

6. 6 Murdoc May 24th, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Can’t wait to see this…

7. 7 Rogue May 25th, 2009 at 6:56 am

I will contact Michael as I believe I have what ever magazines he will need or want.

8. 8 Kevin "TEACH" Baas May 25th, 2009 at 8:03 am

Take a look here
    There are many old pics of my mother and father riding they raised me to be who I am. I love vintage bikes because of the experiences I had growing up around there lifestyle.

9. 9 Howard May 25th, 2009 at 8:53 am

It was 1969 and for a young boy the motorcycles in “Easy Rider” sparked a life long love of motorcycles ; Harley Customs in particular. Also the Schwinn “Stingray” bicycle created the fantasy
    and the feel of two wheel freedom. The “club” atmosphere of running around town with your mates was also fostered at that time.
    In a time of great termoil it created a center for my life that has never departed. It has become the center of many,like me, and has evolved into the icon for the freedom of America that has resonated around the world.

10. 10 Jim C May 25th, 2009 at 10:13 am

For what it is worth and I don’t know how you would display this idea but everyone at one time or another has bought a basket case. A lot of times that was the only way we could afford to own a bike. In putting that basket case back together we learned a lot about the bikes and the guys who are around them as you always needed parts or advice. To this day I still look at a non running basket case as a challenge and enjoy getting something running that may have been sitting for 20-30 years.I believe that a lot of guys would relate to this experience-maybe with some sort of small scale back yard shed with a bike in parts and pieces.
    Anyway,I have always been a gearhead and had the Schwinn Stingray when I was a kid,then I found a Honda 305 Dream sitting in a garage,nonrunning. Got it back together and remember running that around the countryside. Half the fun was putting it back together and getting it running.. That was the start of a long line of nonrunning basket cases since then.

11. 11 Gabe Larkins May 25th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Wow! Where do I begin ? I have had a love for motorcycles for my entire life. My first memory of motorcyles goes back to the age of like 3, my dads best friend had new montessa dirt bikes. They were red shiny and I was in awe the moment I saw them. Alan also had some new yamahas and a new honda 750. This was like 1971 so it mightt not have been a 750. I used to bug Alan and my dad everyday to take me for a ride. If they wouldn’t take me I would go sit in alan’s garage on the bikes for hours.
    In the early 70’s there weren’t a lot of people in Santa Fe that had bikes. So when ever I saw one on the road I would go nuts. We moved to the Berkely Ca when I was 5. My dad started working for Bill Grahm the rock n roll promotor. My dad had a couple guys working for him that all road harleys. My first ride on a harly was with this big long haired Hells Angel named Big Willie John. After that ride I was hooked on harleys. As I got older I started riding my own. I have had several must be damn near 100. My life for many years revolved around getting the next bike. I opend a custome shop in Phoenix in 1998. That lead to the next big adventure. Nitro Harleys ! I met Steve Huff in 2000 and got my first taste of nitro. In 2001 I bought his prodragster. I had never been down a track in a car let alone a bike. Steve became my mentor and taught me how to race. I was pro rookie of the year in 2002. I raced for 5 years, all because I feel in love with a little red montessa in 1971.

12. 12 Antone May 25th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

When I was about 8 years old my family would take us to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk,Calif. once a year for our family vacation,one year I saw about maybe ten Hells Angles parked along the street on the board walk,at the time I didn’t know anything about bikes but man they sure looked good and I wanted one ever since.

13. 13 Dave Blevins May 25th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I grew up on 2 wheels, my father and his brothers rode, my mom’s brothers rode too, and as I grew the bikes grew from mini-bikes to tt bikes and eventually to road bikes, Hondas-Triumphs-Harley- we had them all and rode them all (Harley was my favorite even back then). But the bike that is burned into my memory is a Triumph chop built by my uncle, I was the third son born in my family and my uncle’s favorite thing was to come over after work and visit my mom and dad and play with us kids. He was called to duty in Vietnam and before he left, he came to visit us on his bike as usual, we lived down a long gravel lane which coated his bike in dust… he took my brother as he often did, and sat him on his lap as he sat on the bike, and my brother’s bare feet left their prints on his tank. He asked to store his bike and insisted no one was to wash it, he would tend to it when he came home. That bike sat just as it was until he retuned home, those dusty footprints still on the tank.
    I have watched and loved many bikes in movies, seen countless bikes at events and shows thru the years, and even built my fair share of them too and loved em all. But none are in my mind like that chop of my uncle’s from way back in my childhood.
    That uncle now lives in Florida, and I rarely get to see him, but he still rides (a MotoGuzzi these days). Unc, I don’t know if you read Cyril’s blog or not, but on this memorial weekend I’m glad you made it home all those years ago when so many did not. Thanks for a memory that is as real today as if it were yesterday.

14. 14 A 1 cycles May 26th, 2009 at 7:58 am

my love affair started when i was 5 my dad would put me on the tank of his h2 kawasaki..he had taken a brand new bike and painted flames on was loud and fast..i was forever hooked i had a honda qa 50 by summer and it was all over…but then came evel knievel..and i never looked backed, racing, riding, dirt, street, pro dirt tracker, pro drag racing, building customs…i dont know if i chose this life or if it chose me? guess it doesnt matter. in it till the end!

15. 15 Stephen Curtis May 26th, 2009 at 8:36 am

I started dreaming of motorcycles at about 6 years old. Over the past 40 something years I have come close to buying a motorcycle. Once when I was married for the first time. I had been looking at a motorcycle a honda to be specific. When it came down to actually buying the bike(the day of) My ex-wife said that we needed another car first. At the time we were using her mothers car. I did’nt think about that in my equation of the situation. When my wife told me we could not use her mother car anymore that ended that. No bike. Then again when I was in the Navy in South Carolina I remember distinckly looking at a Kawasaki Vulcan750. Man did I wan that bike. My children were still young so I decided it as to dangerous to buy at that time. If something happened to me, I was afraid what might happen to my Children, so once again the bike went out the window. Then at 53 I finally bought my first bike. Out of all the bikes I could have gotten I bought a new 1300VTX withing two days I returned it. “They charged me 4 thousand more dollors to go up to the VTX 1800 that bike was much better but it still had problems. The shifting was the worst. I thought that it would blow up everytime I shifted. The honda dealers that I was using at the time ripped me off so bad it was disgusting. When I got ride of that bike I got a Suzuki M109R I still have this bike and love it. It is the best bike I have every had. I also have a H.D. XLC 883 this to is a very good bike. Next I bought a Hayabusa. I just had to try one. The fastest bike on the market and still is. I am going to turn this into a Chopper. Then I will be a happy man. I like Choppers the most. If I had the money I would buy a Arlen Ness Highlinner – beautiful bike – I also like the Big Dog Choppers. Tke K-9 is my favorite. I hope to end up with one of these bikes someday. Thanks for listening.

16. 16 aft customs May 26th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Growing up in the little town of Sutter Creek on high way 49 just north of Angels camp the home of the “Frog Jump” I used to ride my bicycle down to main street & watch the endless streem of bikes go through town on their way to the Frog Jump.This was the late 60’s and choppers were such a wild site in those days.

17. 17 "Kiwi" Steve May 26th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

What inspired my passion for motorcycles? Well since I was banned from riding by my mom (though she’s used to run around town on a Mini Trail Honda), it was the freedom that Bronson had riding across our country back in the early 70s that opened my eyes up to 2 wheels. But watching the Superbikes of the late 70s at Riverside Raceway fanned the two-wheel flames to the inferno it has become. My parents don’t understand it, probably why I love it so….

18. 18 Frank338 May 26th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Bikes that inspired me to ride:
    Honda CB400 Super Sport (figured the 750 was too much at that age)
    and almost any “racing” bike, from the KRs that beat ’em all at Daytona to the later TZ two strokes (Kenny Roberts on the 750 dirt tracker was an awesome sight!!)

19. 19 larry beelaert May 26th, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I was an only child and was raised in a house where fun was not allowed unless it ‘looked right.’ My dad never was happy with me and was always comparing me to other kids and asking ‘why cant you be like………… . ‘ it wasnt much fun. My god parents were Troy and Mable Georgeson of Harlowton Montana who had no kids of there own and always treated me well. Mable taught in the local elemantry school and Troy had a Texaco gas station, sold Desotos and Plymouths and rode motorcycles. We would travel there in the summer and I would often get to spend extra time with them which I loved and my dad hated. I learned early that there was something different about my aunt and uncle. They seemed to always be having fun, there wasnt any yelling, finding fault or worrying about what others thought. They just had fun, lots of friends and were nice people. Uncle Troy raced and hillclimbed and was 84Q in those events. They would often come to Spokane to compete or I would go with him when I stayed there during the summer. I loved motorcycles right off and it wasn’t long before Troy had me riding and learning to race, much to the disapproval of my dad. I went to Sturgis with them the first time in 1956 and remember being at pappy’s house and going to the flat track and all the events. At Harlowton in the evenings PeeWee and other local riders would come to Troys shop and work on their bikes and tease me, give me dimes for the pop machine and joke around. My uncle died at a race in the early 60’s of a heart attack and I was crushed. I dont believe he ever intentionally tried to teach me anything but along the way he taught me everything. There is not a day go by I don’t think of him and have fun. I never miss Sturgis, my ashes someday will be on the street there during the rally.Every Harley i have ever owned has “Thanks 84Q” displayed on it including a 1949 we are just finishing. That same slogan is on a brick outside the community center at Sturgis. As i grew up, through military time,college, a couple of carrers and now over 50 years later, Uncle Troy has been the most influential person in my life. He taught me well, taught me to have fun and gave me my love of motorcycles. Thanks 84 Q !

20. 20 raycwheeler May 28th, 2009 at 12:09 am

My name is Ray and I am hopelessly addicted to motorcycles . Three ex wifes will confirm my addiction .

My motorcycle addiction started at an early age . Seems my step-father and my mother honeymooned to Denver from Wichita on a belt drive Harley in 1950 or so . I was 6 years old at the time . In a photo album thats buried in the basement there may be photos with and without the side car . While riding to Colorado, on dirt roads at times , the side car was removed for hill climbing .

At 12 my neighbor was given a Sears Allstate Cushman for his 14th birthday . I was fortunate to have the opportunity to ride occasionally when dear ole mom was not watching .

In 1964 while stationed in Pearl Harbor awaiting transfer to Viet Nam I purchased an brand new Honda Dream , which I returned the same afternoon . Seems that a Navy buddy had purchased a new XLCH that needed a rider , Charlie was huge and preferred to wrench rather then ride . We immediately disassambled the bike to the bare frame and had the frame chrome plated on base while Charlie and I tore into the motor in the outside machine shop . With the help of Doc Dyke ( Dyke barrels and pistons were installled ) . Our phone bill to Iowa must have been tremendous . Thanks to the ouside machine shop X-1 located next to the diving tower we fabricated and a down draft manifold then mounted a Stromberg 97 . Off to the drag strip we went , First pass was a wheel stand that damn near wiped out the timing lights , got my shit togeather after that as we set a track record .

Off to the war returnimg Friday the 13th of April in 1967 after 18 months of combat pay .

The rest in history , 1/2 a dozen Sportsters . The baddest had a Bonnie Truett motor that had been in a record holding drag bike , may have been the fastest in and around Kansas for a couple years .
    My first ex wife had to tow me to start the bike , compression was 12 to one and kick start only .

Graduated from Sportsters to a 58 panhaed that made 58 horsepower at the rear wheel , twisted springer build by Turk in Wichita .

Worked my first union job as a Millwright and was able to purchase my first new motorcle a 1977 Superglide . Immediately loaded up and hauled ass to San Clemente , Ca with my best friend that had bought my 66 Shovel . Gary returned to Wichita while I remained in California .

My hot rod today is a 2004 Dyna , my 2nd new bike . 140,000 miles and counting with over 80,000 on an R&R cycle Hyperformance 124 in motor .

Enough of my addiction .

Hope to see you on the road or in Sturgis at Michales event , until then HAUL ASS while your alive .

Ray c wheeler

somewhere USA ….HAUKLIN ASS as usual .

21. 21 Chuck Shortt May 28th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hi Chuck Shortt here from Rocky Mountain Custom Bikes in Colorado. I want to pass along a few things about what made me into the bike fanatic that I am today.
    It started back as a kid, my parents wouldn’t let me ride a bike if our lives depended on it. I desired it so much, and craved the wind in my face that I continually got caught riding friends bikes and actually was grounded for the entire summer of 1974.
    It wasn’t until I joined the Navy in 1978 that I bought my first bike with the money saved from boot camp. It was a 1975 Yamaha Rd 350. I rode it from San Diego to Washington state (my next duty station) staying on HWY 101 and BIG SUR. Within months I bought another bike, this time a dirt bike, and started my racing career. Years later and after a broken marriage, because of my racing, I began a full time road racing career. Showed my ex- wife, huh! Managed to get a few championships from it and loved every minute of it. Even during my time spent in various hospitals with a broken hip, fractured legs numerous times, of course ribs, the loss of a few organs, spinal cord fractures, etc. I just love racing and bikes. In fact I have made a full time career from it.
    What has been ironic over the last few years are the DVD and video movies that people have made. For instance the Worlds Fastest Indian inspired me to race in the world speed trials in Bonneville in 2007, on a prepared Honda 600 reaching 158 MPH. And am currently making plans to build a stream liner, maybe some day achieving the 300 mph mark?!
    Then there is my latest adventure after watching Dust To Glory, as a result of watching this movie repeatedly, it has inspired me to form a highly qualified team of individuals for this event. As a result, Rsenal Racing has now entered the 2009 Baja 1000 on a 2008 Yamaha 450 sponsored by GRAND PRIX MOTORSPORTS in Littleton Co. as well as a list of top notch sponsors that are posted on our team web site. I have gathered some very experienced riders and support personnel for this up coming event.
    Please check out our team web site and follow us through training, pre and post Baja at

Thanks, Chuck Shortt owner of Rocky Mountain Custom Bikes

22. 22 ian May 28th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I fell in love at the age of 17 with an AMF Harley Davidson 125cc two stroke – bought it in October 1977 – fell off it after 3 days – rode it home from hospital 6 weeks after that – been pretty much brand loyal ever since.

23. 23 Steve Temple | Lichter Photo May 28th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I’d like to put out a ‘thank you’ to everyone who has posted their stories of 2-wheeled inspiration. Michael is currently traveling abroad on assignment, but as soon as he returns on Monday he will be reading your posts.

Steve Temple
    Michael Lichter Photography, LLC

24. 24 Jim Van Landingahm Jun 1st, 2009 at 12:18 pm

It was 1966; my mom, baby sister and I lived with my grandparents on the west side of Indianapolis. One of our neighbors had just got a new Harley. My mom was standing on the sidewalk talking with him. Most likely flirting. The next thing I know, I’m sitting on the rear of the big dresser seat, hanging onto our neighbor as tight as a six year old could. He gently rode around the block past the old Pontiac’s, Ford’s and Chevrolet’s that lined the streets. I’ll always remember the thumping of the motor.

Later, as a teen, I bought Street Chopper magazine featuring Arlen Ness, Dave Perewitz, Donnie Smith and other bike builders. Reading about them, their experiences and drooling over the cool looking custom bikes. I would visualize myself straddling the seat of one of these customs and riding the back roads of Indiana and states beyond. In the evenings and on the weekends I would sketch those choppers.

Now, I ride my Road King Classic across the western half of the United States, created a limited edition print of a ’65 Panhead and manufacture decorative replacement backrest plates for baggers. There’s no question as to what my passion in life is….. riding motorcycles… seeking freedom from gravity. It’s requires the least amount of equipment enabling a person to propel their body through the air with control. Moving meditation!

25. 25 Cleve (Rebo) Bolgrien Nov 12th, 2009 at 1:31 am

I have a large canvas painting of David Mann on a k model harley and it is the same painting of David in his collection book page 12/13 motorcycle masterpices (WHEELSTAND TRAILS) except on davids posters he is on a shovel head. It is a beautiful painting exactly like the poster and this is the only canvas, We thought it may be a self potrait but there is a artist signature of (w. Masbey) If anyone can id. the artist wouldappreciate the help, this beautiful canvas is for sale. you can cntact me for pictures

26. 26 Russ Johnson May 7th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

More interested in re – making contact with you, Rebo. Get in touch with me, we’ve some catchin’ up to do……later