Mac Motorcycles. The 60’s Revisited With A Buell Engine.

Don’t you love when you hear about a new company releasing concept bikes with the objective of becoming the new hit of the motorcycle industry? I do. And this story comes from the UK where very little was happening during these last 15 years when you compare to other European countries. Mac Motorcycles is the story of Ellis Pitt meeting 2 designers (Mark Wells & Ian Wride at Xenophya Design) and deciding with them that it was time to return to the spirit of motorcycling and come back to bikes equipped with “nothing surplus to requirements”.

Bikes simple and easy to maintain with chopper and bobber references, offering the pure lines of a rigid frame but with suspension, a Harley posture with flat track manners, a Ducati inspired handling and a lightweight chassis…Hence the choice of a Buell® single cylinder, air-cooled, 2-valve, push rod, 492cc, 5-speed ‘Blast’ engine.  The 4 models featured here are called Pea Shooter (top left), Ruby (top right), Spud (bottom left), Roar (bottom right). I like them but at a price of  £8 to 10,000 ($12 to $16,000 due to the value of our shrinking US dollar), it seems a little bit high. But at a price of about $10,000 delivered in the US I think it could seduce a lot of young and not so young bikers. What do you think? Mac Motorcycles.

19 Responses to “Mac Motorcycles. The 60’s Revisited With A Buell Engine.”

1. 1 Grayhawk Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:09 am

Good idea, simplistically clean looking but your right money will kill sales at that price.

Was trying to remember the flat track frame maker here in the US that had made a flat track frame with monoshock for the Buell blast, frame was about $2k retail, that and a used buell could put a younger rider into a mini XR style thumper for around $4k plus or minus.

Bikes pictured above Looks a bit like the Confederate brand styling.

A lot of us grew up with those British Thumpers of old still have an old 69 trophy thumper buried in the warehouse, pull out an kick around from time to time, unmistakeable sound.

Wish there were more interest from custom builders for entry level and intermediate size custom/thumper style bikes to keep sport alive and growing.

2. 2 Doc Robinson Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:15 am

Cool – ish bike, tho that gap behind the cylinder has it looking like something is missing. Which of course it is, the second cylinder. Sorry guys, but at that price, and in this current GFC, too dear, too underpowered for the dollars.

3. 3 jatinder pal Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:47 am

A very cool looking bikes…now this is what i call motorcycle.

4. 4 Steve Carr Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:48 am

Nice design, wrong choice for the engine. This style is begging for a V-Twin of some sort at least.

Steve Carr
    Lightning Rod Motorcycles

5. 5 Joe Jun 1st, 2009 at 7:43 am

I agree with Doc. They need another cylinder.

6. 6 gustian Jun 1st, 2009 at 8:19 am

Nice indeed…..

The Pea Shooter (top left) is my favorit. That gap between the cylinder and rear wheel are compensated by the carb and filter, and the higher placed pipe.
    Also the seat looks better with the little extension.
    The other 3 defintily are missing that second cylinder.

But……the price ……………….phewwwww

Peace Gustian

7. 7 ian Jun 1st, 2009 at 8:58 am

Well i wish them luck – its a bold idea – i think they only need two bikes and desperately need the bike to retail for a maximum £6,000 ($10,000). The competition is harsh in that band already with the Triumph Thruxton and Ducati Sport 1000 (and even the Sportster) offering proven alternates.

8. 8 Josh Hammer Jun 1st, 2009 at 9:02 am

Design is right. Price is very wrong. Could not sell in the US above $8000 maxi. Good tentative, but the company will fail because not understanding the competition. And I don’t see why these bikes are so expensive. Greed?

9. 9 Rock Star Jun 1st, 2009 at 9:39 am

1,200 bucks for a minty donor bike + a case of Newcastle for the welder

10. 10 Brent Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:17 am

Not very powerful and small. Some women could like it…at a $6500 price

11. 11 Brenda Fox Jun 1st, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I wish them much success, however my “spirit of motorcycling” would be more recharged with more horsepower at an obtainable price point.

12. 12 Lyle Jun 1st, 2009 at 12:47 pm

A good rider on a nimble big thumper will stomp the crap out of anyone on a big V-Twin though the twisties. But I do agree with everyone else that a doner bike can be had for cheap and the rest is just fabrication. they are neat looking bikes though. Sort of a cross between a SuperMotard and a Cafe.

13. 13 hoyt Jun 1st, 2009 at 1:09 pm

definitely time (and room in the market) for fun, agile singles.

I might consider the Pea Shooter with the Roar pipe & a Rotrex supercharger for $12k

Time for Ducati to make their single again?

14. 14 krugger Jun 1st, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Why not…but they need to add a turbo, Rotrex, Supercharger,…. for the same price;-)

15. 15 Dave Blevins Jun 1st, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I wish them much success, but I honestly don’t like the looks of the bikes… they just don’t look like much thought toward style was given.
    In fact, I do not find anything about them reminecsent of 60’s stlye.

16. 16 Sasha Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:44 pm

positively mouthwatering fun.

17. 17 Bike EXIF Jun 1st, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Top marks for initiative, design and balls, in this economic climate.

I really hope it works out for them. But I suspect two models would be better than four. They also need bigger and better engines: perhaps from Rotax. One model with a 650 single, one with a 788 twin.

They also need a price cut to $7,500-$10,000. Accessories and customization options can take up the slack, but the draw card needs to be a good base sticker price.

The Buell Blast might be crap, but it’s also just $4,795. Whereas the Moto Guzzi V7 Classic gives you 750cc in a highly-regarded retro package for $8,500.

So I don’t think there will be enough people willing to pay $16,000 for a motorcycle powered by an anaemic 34bhp single.

It’s not too late to change though, if Mac wants the success it deserves.

18. 18 KCR Jun 2nd, 2009 at 7:45 am

I agree. $10k is much more reasonable. These guys arent building power hungry 600 lb bikes. It looks like there goal is to give the more sport oriented rider a very nice alternative to a TRUE custom bike. Its all about your take on an enjoyable day of riding. Price aside, it looks like a ton of fun.

19. 19 Alfatango Nov 30th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Just ran across these bikes after reading about some people wanting to do a Cafe style bike from a Buell Blast. I think it’s a great choice of a power plant since the weight of the entire bike is so low. The Blast engine has a lot of torque and is fine for this type of bike. I’ve ridden some with Buell XB cams and bigger jets and a Jardine can and it really boogied for a single and I currently ride a ZX12R. I’d love to see how these little guys handle, I need a small beach bar jumper and would love to build one of these.