Laurent Dutruel Show, Street And Race Bike

zenmotorcyclesTo build a custom bike able at the same time to win prestigious bike shows, perform on the street, race…and win a record in Bonneville is an arduous challenge that very few custom builders have given to themselves… As far as I know, Roger Goldammer from Canada and Fred Krugger from Belgium are the only ones who have successfully defied the show judges, the street cops and the race chronometer with the same bike. And now I think you can add a 3rd name: Laurent Dutruel from France. He is an eclectic and atypical builder like I like them. (Just read again about his amazing Aluminum WL 45). As many Europeans, Laurent is a nostalgic of the Café Racer era. You can immediately recognize his inspiration, the 77 Harley-Davidson XLCR 1000.

zenmotorcycles21Always custom building his frame around an engine, Laurent started with a 1998 Sportster/Buell engine that was heavily modified to accept an oil filter bracket on the right side and a centrally located turbo compressor. He had to lower the compression ratio (now 980 cc) to make the engine work with this turbo, an hybrid TD 05-16G usually used on Mitsubishi or Subaru cars! A hand made thick aluminum swingarm is attached to a custom bended thick tube steel frame via a modified Buell S1 shock. There are 2 gas tanks: a large one under the left engine case hiding a car gas pump and a very small one above the frame to lighten the overall look of the bike. Front end and 2 rims have been borrowed from a Buell XB. Oil tank is fitted inside the seat backrest. All body parts, except frame, are custom massaged aluminum (Laurent Dutruel also designs and fabricates unusual aluminum home furniture). For a special effect all hardware was gold plated in Geneva, Switzerland…At the time I publish this post Laurent still didn’t raise all the money he needs to travel from France and race on the Salts of Utah. So, with the help of magazine Freeway, he is right now selling a limited series of 200 Bonneville tee-shirts. He is not sure it will be enough. So, if anyone can help or sponsor him, contact me and I will forward. In August his bike may be the new world record holder of the 1000 A-PBG Class.  Laurent Dutruel at Zen Motorcycles

14 Responses to “Laurent Dutruel Show, Street And Race Bike”

1. 1 Dave Blevins Jun 3rd, 2009 at 11:01 am

Now we’re talking… a bike with real style and performance. I hope you make it to the salt.

2. 2 Shifter Jun 3rd, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Great effort. Wish you the best wherever the bike is shown, ridden and raced.

3. 3 Nocturnal Jun 3rd, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Nice Buell…….

4. 4 Rock Star Jun 3rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I just threw up in my mouth.

5. 5 fuji Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Rock Star
    Jun 3rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm
    I just threw up in my mouth
    Stay out of 7 eleven man those big gulps can make you choke.

The bike looks like pure function. Interesting placement of the air intake ?
    Wind it up and let it go and get that record.

Good luck.

6. 6 A 1 cycles Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:55 pm

the actual intake ison the left rear of the bike on a 90 degree elbow off of the turbo….on the right lower it looks a scoop to cool the lower fuel tank

7. 7 nicker Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:12 pm

And yet he dares comment again, the dasterdly old knave………. 🙁

Nicely organized.
    Cool cafe Racer look.
    In the best Rocker tradition.
    I like it!!

-nicker- …………… 🙂 🙂

8. 8 fuji Jun 3rd, 2009 at 9:26 pm

A 1

My point of mentioning the location of the air intake is that it doesn’t appear to be in a high pressure location aft of the riders leg facing aft or is this cosmetic at this time

9. 9 bertrand Jun 4th, 2009 at 3:59 am

This air intake is here to cool the engine oil radiator . . ..

C’mon Laurent ! ! ! remenber the run at Grimaud ! ! ! !

10. 10 A 1 cycles Jun 4th, 2009 at 7:53 am

its a turbo it doesnt need a high pressure area for intake it draws its own air just fine then forces it through the large intercooler at the front of the bike then into the intake tract..a normaly aspirated bike will require a high pressure or ram air turbos usually dont

11. 11 fuji Jun 4th, 2009 at 8:52 am

A 1
    Stay with me on this. Turbo, blown or normally aspirated it is always a benefit to place an air intake at the optimum location to help force air into a cavity be it by air scoop or a Naca duct as used by aerodynamic engineers for many years on aircraft with out destroying the air flow over the skin of the plane.

One of the benefits of having a turbo in a high pressure area is that it will help the compressor spool up and help keep it there. Why make any type compressor struggle when it can be aided by the forces of nature, especially at speed.

12. 12 A 1 cycles Jun 4th, 2009 at 10:40 am

agreed..but you dont need help spooling up at bonneville…and if you make a naca duct work you are allready at speed…and rotor vane profile charts (angle of attack of your compressor wheel) will help you spool up differently at low speeds. and i think you would be hard pressed on a semi naked bike like this to install naca ducts and the like….great points though

13. 13 fuji Jun 4th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Sorry man I knocked on your door but i din’t get in

14. 14 madpuppy Jun 4th, 2009 at 7:03 pm

” Rock Star
    Jun 3rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm
    I just threw up in my mouth”.

Aah man, Rock Star ! Tell the truth, you and I both know what was shot into your mouth ! LOL