For Sale. Evel Knievel’s Ferrari Daytona Spyder

Are you a fan of Evel Knievel? Do you love Ferraris? Do you collect cars? This 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder, chassis number 16835, was formerly owned by famed motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel who, after suffering his famous crash attempting to jump the fountains of Caesar’s Palace, was no longer able to get into the car and sold it to celebrated radio DJ Frankie Crocker.

In 1997 Crocker sold the original condition, Pininfarina-coachbuilt car to former professional baseball player – five-time World Series title holder – Hall of Fame inductee – and lifetime car aficionado Reggie Jackson. Bonhams & Butterfields just got the consignment of Jackson’s cars collection and will auction it, including this Ferrari Daytona Spyder,  during the internationally renowned Monterey Car Week on Friday, August 14th at the Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, California. A preview is being hosted the day prior. Please note that while the adjacent Quail Motorsports Gathering is sold out, entry to the Bonhams & Butterfields’ preview and auction does not require a ticket and all are welcome. Those interested in registering to bid, either in person or remotely, may call or e-mail the Bonhams Motoring Department at 415-861-7500 or

26 Responses to “For Sale. Evel Knievel’s Ferrari Daytona Spyder”

1. 1 A 1 cycles Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:07 am

this car was in a movie about him and it shows him talking on his brief case phone (in the car passenger seat) and him picking up a honey then going golfing with his accoutant..betting 500 a hole on the golf course..circa 1975. it all fits. awesome. r.i.p. evel

2. 2 Conrad Nicklus Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Wish Evel was still around and Robbie wasnt. His son is a douche and doesnt deserve the thunder from which he stole from his father.

3. 3 A 1 cycles Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

4. 4 A 1 cycles Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

5. 5 FUJI Aug 6th, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Robbie is probably the greatest motorcycle ” stunt / distance jumper ” of all times. credit where credit is due. proving himself time and time again. The true spelling of his name is Robbie Maddison an Aussie.

Give Evil credit where credit is due for he was the leader / innovator in the game. That being said when all was taking place I didn’t buy into all the hype from all the promotion tactics.

It was more like how hard will he crash rather than will he make it but ” fortitude he had.intestinal type “.

I do admire the man but choice of bikes could have been a lot better. Even in the early days he could have used a European motocross bike to set records to save his body. i.e. Husqvarna or Jawa CZ

But the game was to fill American seat$ and minds.

Nuff said done !

6. 6 just my opinion Aug 6th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Conrad Be careful some may say the same of you some day

7. 7 Bradley K Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

8. 8 Bradley K Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:30 pm

R.I.P. Evel.

9. 9 Conrad Nicklus Aug 9th, 2009 at 12:22 am

Just My Opinion,

As most know that wont happen. I am completely oposite with my designs as my dad. I go for my ideas and my designs not his ideas and designs as you can see by looking at my designs and his designs. Also, I wish hope to be in the automobile industry as I grow up not the bike industry. So, for this to happen some things would have to seriously change. I dont use his name or “fame” as a way to leap me forward in the industry. As I started this blog I actually used a “fake” name so no one knew who I was until the thing I bitched about, people using false names, became such an issue. My name shouldnt even be compared to my fathers. Our ideas and creations are 100% different.

10. 10 just my opinion Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:50 am

conrad; One could argue that you would not be designing anything if your father had not been designing long before you or passed his designing ability or genes on to you. As for using your “fame” just exactly what fame would that be? I have been around bikes for more than forty years now and had only heard of you because you are your fathers son. I would not even classify your father as famous, well known maybe in some circles of motorcycling but famous problably not at that level as of this point in time. Does not mean he or you won’t be some day though. Now that being said I was not refering to your designing ability. I was simply saying be careful of what you say of others. It does have a way of coming back sometimes. And as for using your real name on websites like this. That is only a good idea if your opinions are generic, because otherwise you will offend some would be customers and cost your self money. Now as my screen name says it’s just my opinion so don’t get upset and cry about it.

11. 11 Conrad Nicklus Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I never said I have fame at all, not to mention Im well known in something other than bikes and get bothered often and that is “fame” or being “well known”. Something I love way mroe than motorcycles and that is my own deal which I do not bring to this blog. Also, “fame” is a word that is widely used,, famous? Describe famous! There are many forms and fashions derived from the word “famous”. My father can barely go out to eat places, walk around malls or town etc without being bothered by people who know of him due to either the motorcycle industry or the construction industry. It sucks going out some times, especially at bike events, because we constantly get bothered. People know him, not me and I will admit I would not be in the bike industry without him at this point but eventually I would have been. Also, without him I wouldnt have been able to get in magazines with my designs as young as 16 some 6 years ago. That is all besides the point here, you are quick to open up and state things which have no relevance. I do not wish to be like my father nor do I wish to try and “out do” his creations, just like Jumps for Evel. I do my own thing and I have no one to prove anything to besides myself. Also, my comment was stating Evel is way more than his POS son will EVER be. He didnt use 19″ shocks and dirtbikes, he used real bikes which he modified a little. A true pioneer to his art as I try to be with mine and not copy my dads stuff like Robbie.

12. 12 john reed Aug 11th, 2009 at 2:40 am

just my opinion,
    I often agree with what you say, but its difficult to respect
    anyone who hides behind a pseudonym
    this is just my opinion
    john reed

13. 13 just my opinion Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:52 am

Conrad; Again I was not judging you or your abilities. I was just stating a fact. If you go around bad mouthing people such as calling them a DOUCHE then it may come back to you. My original post had nothing to do with your ability or fame or lack of either. I just stating a fact, now whether you want to believe it or not is up to you.

And as for John Reed; The reason I don’t use my God given name is that by not using it I can give my honest opinion with out losing potentual customers. Some guys on here do use their names and good for them, that is their choice. But I personally think it is a bad business decision to do so. I have seen some of these guy’s bad mouth Democrats and call them IDIOTS. Not good business by doing so you potentually piss off 50% of your customer base. I have seen comments that are borderline racist , again Not good business. Although you will never see me comment negetively about a democrat or republican. I can give my opinion and not use my name and if you don’t respect that “who cares” I don’t live my life to please you or anyone else. I do how ever want my family to be able to continue living the lifestyle that I have created for them, And that is why I don’t use my real name. Not because I care what you think or because I am scared or anything other than I am a smart business man and want to continue making money off guys like you that sometimes agree with what I say, as well as those that don’t ever agree with what I have to say. And by the way I would never bad mouth a fellow American for who they voted for, after all that is their right as an American. They can vote for whoever they want. Right or wrong it is their choice. Not mine or yours. If you have read my post you will see that I typically don’t attack anyone for their post. Although I have called Conrad an idiot a time or two. Sometimes I do feel the need to strike back but I try not to do it often. I do however give my opinion and make suggestions as to how they might want to rethink some of their positions. I know my opinions are not always what some of you think or beleive. But they are just that “my opinions” not your opinions. Now that being said have a nice day.

14. 14 Jeff Nicklus Aug 13th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

just my opinion,

Just read your comments on why you do not use your own name on this blog. I am sorry dude, but if you have the balls to have an opinion, and you have the balls to voice your opinion from behind the door then you should have the balls to state your opinion load and clear in public and the hell with whether or not you offend a customer or lose a dime or not. To me that position is nothing more than the display of a weak person who is afraid of the dark. That position is a position of a person who stands alone in the back of the crowd and whispers his opinion under his breath. That position is the position of a typical liberal who bases his opinions on the day to day news polls and sways his opinions accordingly: ie: Billy Jeff Clinton and Osama Obama et al. That position is what is leading this country into a Socialist State!

Sorry Dude, just my opinion!

Over & Out,

15. 15 Jeff Nicklus Aug 13th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Sorry Just my Opinion ….. I can’t spell …. load should be Loud!

Over & Out,

16. 16 just my opinion Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Jeff that is your right to have such an opinion but I have seen your rantings and I do believe they cost you money. If you are willing to lose said monies. Than good for you, but I am not. Would it matter if I signed all my opinions as joe jefferson or john donaldson, you still would not know if that was really my name or who I am, so what would it matter? If I signed my opinions with a false name or my real name. Would that make them any more or less valid? I think not . Tell me does it help you when you bash companies like Big Dog using your name. The one thing you seem to not remember is that this is a very small industry and the guys at Big Dog may be well liked by some one that would buy your products, but if you go around bashing them it will cost you sales. As for you losing respect for me because I don’t tell you who I am. Well that is easy to live with because I don’t give a rats ass what you think. My opinions are just that my opinions they are just as valid as your and vise versa and I don’t want to cost my family even one dime because of them. Do you really think that bashing all the Obama followers helps your business? Maybe you don’t care or maybe you can afford to lose the extra income. My company is not so big that I can afford to alienate any potentual customer. Call it being liberal or what ever you want. I call signing your name to rants like you put out bad business but that is just my opinion. Your opinion and mine can be different that is what makes this country work. If we all thought the same we would all be riding Harleys not your bikes or anyone elses. Again that is your right to tell folks who you are just as it is my right to not tell every one who I am. On this we will just have to agree to disagree. Because I am just as stubborn as you. Just so you know if we were talking face to face My opinions don’t change, being a tough guy and a good business man are two different things. I am not afraid of you or any one else never have been and doubt I will ever be. Now that all being said I will tell you that I don’t agree with most of what you say but I do respect your right as an American to state your opinion whether your name is attached or not. One last thing why do votes happen blindly or behind a curtain because people will hold your vote against you if they know what it is. Just as you hold it again folks that voted for Obama. Enough said.
    Have a nice day

17. 17 Jeff Nicklus Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I don’t know where you think I bash Big Dog …. it has never happened. Anyone in this industry or anyone else who knows me, knows full well that I will say what I believe to anyone, including the former President of The United States, without qualm, qualification or regret. I do not soften or reframe from stating what I believe in for business purposes or any other reason. I will not trade my beliefs for a few pieces of gold. Further, I have several friends and customers who are as liberal as you can imagine, I do believe they have their heads in their asses and I tell them that often as they likewise believe my head is in my ass however at the end of the day we are still friends and they are still my customers, so I am not sure your losing business holds water on a bigger scale.

Bashing the Obama followers is great fun just as bashing Bush was sport for you liberals. We do not accept welfare checks here or food stamps so it really isn’t a problem whether the liberals buy a bike or not ….. just kidding before you freak out on me! Besides the Obama followers are jumping ship at an amazing rate. FYI: The only bike I sold last week was to a Flaming Liberal/Obama Supporter …. we had some spirited debates, and a good time, while the sales discussion was underway. By the end we had agreed to disagree, which works for me (actually I did have the better of him whether he admits it or not!).

I respect your right to your opinion and I would, and have, fought for your right to voice that opinion however much I think your head is up your ass.

In conclusion, I hope you are doing well at Big Dog and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Over & Out,

Your friend,

18. 18 just my opinion Aug 14th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Jeff; LOL you my friend make me laugh. Please explain to me just what a liberal is. Is it someone that has a different opinion from you. Funny how you seem to think eveything is black and white there seems to be no gray areas with you. I don’t know why you want to label me as a liberal, I have never said I was a liberal or Obama supporter. Maybe that was the drugs you have done in the past talking. If you have read any of my posts you would know that I don’t bash Bush never have and I don’t bash Obama never have. I have how ever states that I don’t believe either bush or Obama has done everything right nor do I believe either bush or obama has ever done anything intentional to harm us as a nation. Have one or both made major mistakes? We both know they have. But I do believe that both men have, and are trying to do the best they can, or know how to do. We need to remember that the president has alot less power than most believe, they make decisions based off their advisors reports and opinions and even then they need additional approval to get anything done. You have never asked my opinion on wellfare or foodstamps but since you have now brought it up, let me tell you how I feel. Wellfare is a needed program there are people that fall on hard times due to several things from health issues to job layoff. Should we let them starve? I say no but the other side of that coin is, there are may flakes and losers taking advantage of that system. Those people should not only be cut off the system but they should be prosecuted, convicted then made to work for free for the next ten years or so. I am not sure but I don’t think that is quit the liberal point of veiw. If I had my way alot of things would be different. But all I can do is place my one vote and hope the next idiot in office does not screw things up any more than they already are. Let me also give an opinion on border patrol you people in Texas could do a lot better job at sealing off that border. It is not just the feds. job to secure borders the great state of Texas could step up and say we have had enough and seal the damn border them selves. Any other opinions you want just ask I will give you my two cents. I just won’t damage my business name by attaching my name to those opinions. But in the future if I see you at a rally I will walk over and introduce myself. Might even buy you a beer or two but only if its not some BS texas beer. Now all that having been said what I do have control over is my business and I choose to not screw that up by giving an opinion and attaching my real name. By the way I know your head is up your ass quit often but I will still sit down and buy the beer and we can argue over who is right.
    Have a nice day.

19. 19 Jeff Nicklus Aug 14th, 2009 at 11:56 am

I will see you at a show I am sure and I will hold you to the beer proposition. FYI: I like Fat Tire or Boulevard neither of which are a Texas Beer.

The Feds have stopped us (Texans) from sealing or, for that matter, patrolling the border …. believe me if we could we would get about a dozen of us Texas Good Ol’ Boys and crossing the border into Texas would be nothing more than a memory. But, alas, that will never happen as long as the ACLU, Acorn, Jesse Jackson et al have anything to say about it. Once Texas secedes from the United States things will change!

…… “By the way I know your head is up your ass quit often but I will still sit down and buy the beer and we can argue over who is right.”

I look forward to that discussion ….. BTW …. I feel the head in the ass is not mine!

Further, nothing says we can’t be friends ….. as I said earlier I have other liberal friends who have their heads in their ass and are lost in the political abyss and I don’t hold that against them nor will I hold that against you. I would consider you, as I do them, a work in process.

Have to go now and put some fires out here ….. have a good day.

Over & Out,

20. 20 Conrad Nicklus Aug 15th, 2009 at 1:42 am

I dont know how you all do it at Big Dog and how you think my father and I lose business on here, But I do know if we lose business due to this that is funny because we are still selling things. I guess its to the people who care about the bikes not the politics, something you fail to see within this entire blog. You think people wont buy our products because I am a Republican who calls out the Democrats? That is like saying I would lose a wakeboard sponsor because I said the water was too rough, it wont happen.

People who buy our bikes buy them for several reasons, but one of which is damn sure not politics. Power, looks, sound (neighbors got one?) etc….Not because it has an Elephant or a Donkey backing the company, I am sorry you feel that way though. How many employees is BD down to now?

Also, on another note, the drug comment, out of line. My father has never once touched a drug in his life and is proud to say so. With that being said you and probably wanting to come back and say it to me, neither have I.

Im all for the “Biden NOW” method of Government control.

21. 21 Conrad Nicklus Aug 15th, 2009 at 1:43 am

Oh and also, back to the car. Daytonas are ugly, its all about a ’57 Testarossa 250 GT or a early 90s edition F40.

22. 22 Robbie Knievel Aug 19th, 2009 at 8:53 am

Give me a call sometime. I’d like to invite you to meet the douche again in person. See you in Daytona? Call my office and set it up.

(843) 986-0006

23. 23 just my opinion Aug 19th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

conrad your response to Robbie’s invitation is missing why?
    Now tell me again how your ranting does nothing to hurt your business.
    P.S. I don’t work for Big Dog although I do think they make a fine product.
    Unlike you I own my company, I don’t work for anyone.
    My dad always said why work for an asshole when you can be one?

Have a nice day

24. 24 Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Conrad ,

Robbie is waiting to meet you .

Good Luck young man .

25. 25 Conrad Nicklus Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:29 am

As I have my own company as well, apparently you have not gathered that through all of my postings when it comes to “business talk”. I am the asshole here as all know and I do not “work” for my fathers companies, I go there when I want and do what needs to be done to help out. In return I am fortunate enough to go to the shows and meet the people I do. Also, Working for a company and owning are two very different things. As you “own” your company I am impressed with how often you can write on here and at the times of day which you do, business slow perhaps?

I will call you/your office tomorrow. I think it may be an enlightening coversation to have because maybe you were drunk in Austin the day before your jump, idk.

Appreciate the encouragement! LOL

26. 26 Conrad Nicklus Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:31 am

Also, this ranting most certainly does not hurt my business. I have seen Robbies bikes in person and studied them, as I do with all new companies as I can, they dont even compare to what I would consider my competition as to which would take a sale from me. Ok bikes and all but remind me of just another Ironhorse/Big Dog with some stars and stripes on it with the famous last name. ( No offense Robbie)