AMD World Championship Of Custom Bike Building Top 3 Winners

amdtop3winnersAs I told you this past week, for the 1st time since the inception of the competition in 2004. an American was voted World Champion by his fellow competitors. All along these 2 coming weeks I will introduce you in pictures with the winners in each class category.

Here the picture of the 3 top champions in the “Freestyle Class” (one-off ground-up customs with any design or modifications). World Champion. Dave Cook from Cook Custom Choppers (USA). 2nd place (on your left) Chris Chrome from Kris Krome Customs (USA) – 3rd Place: Fred Krugger from Krugger Speedshop (Belgium). More to come…(pictures copyright Horst Rosler)

24 Responses to “AMD World Championship Of Custom Bike Building Top 3 Winners”

1. 1 Kevin "TEACH" Baas Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:53 am

Congrats to all I am very proud of Dave. He has an amazing mind and his bikes are always amazing it was nice to see him accomplish his goal, this years bike was unreal! WAY TO GO DAVE!

2. 2 Jeffery Haberman Aug 10th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Dave does it again.
    We love all his bikes.

3. 3 Sasha Aug 10th, 2009 at 11:56 am

Dave! Yeah! Congrats to all! Brilliant designers!

4. 4 Kirk Perry Aug 10th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Nice work fellas. You’ve kept the antique things alive in there and made machines that keep motorcycles looking like it’s something you could killed on riding. Draws people in.
    1936-57 Oil Filter Bracket For 61A Gen. & Voltage Regulator Applications.
    This one “new” bracket links 1936 to 1964 oil lines as one series. The only custom-bend pipe necessary to make-up, in any 1936-1964 app, is the one pipe, from oil pump-to-filter (If you’re using an S&S, and not an OE style iron pump). The pump to filter pipe is an easy spiral dogleg that reaches behind the rear header. Vol. 1 shows you how to make the bends.

5. 5 toph Aug 10th, 2009 at 2:26 pm

congrats dave-

after spending an hour at your mil-town shop looking at last year’s bike i had a feeling there’d be more to come. i never looked at one bike for so long before that night.

amazing fab job.

where did that motor come from? give us a background on how and why this scooter came about. very unusual.

6. 6 maroco Aug 10th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

7. 7 Rick Leonard Aug 10th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Always fresh news and excellent Sturgis coverage during the last 10 days. Thanks Cyril.

8. 8 Fluke Aug 10th, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Congrats to all.

The pics are finally up on the AMD site, so looks like tonights entertainment is decided.

9. 9 David Aug 10th, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Well now that they all have trophies for the wall,They can start working on bikes you could actually ride!! I dont believe I have ever seen Cyril design something that looks like some of these bikes that probally cant be ridden from one bar to the next or even be tagged and titled. What’s the purpose if it can’t be used in the real world!!!

10. 10 chris moyes Aug 11th, 2009 at 4:14 am

David, Interesting post!! I think you may have completely missed the whole point of the class they competed in. It was called the Freestyle Class. I myself have competed in the Production class for 7 years and Finally took a 2nd place trophy home with Swift Motorcycles this year. (i am not tooting my own horn here).

My point is the level of engineering that goes into these motorcycles that these guys put out is absolutely mind boggling. That is the point. And by the way just so you know all participants were required to prove the machines rideable by riding them in or providing a video of them riding them. Granted I understand where your going with this but that is also why they have a modified Harley class and a Production class. Everyone needs to pay attention to the phenomenal engineering, forethought, design, aestetics, and experience it takes to create the awesome motorcycles these guys have produced.

Regardless of practicality of their motorcycles it shows us all what is capable on two wheels, it keeps us moving forward, exploring new things and breaking new barriers. They infuse new or different engines and drivetrain styles, new suspensions, new handling characteristics , and above all else keep our industry fresh and opening up our demographics to younger interests and building momentum.

As a young manufacturer/designer/enthusiast in this industry for 10 years now I can only appreciate everything these guys continue to do for me and my livelyhood and I think you should too.

-nuff said

11. 11 Sturgis Aug 11th, 2009 at 8:23 am

Ok, just to clear this out. Yes the bikes were told to drive there or on a video. But as I know there was only 2 videos there and to ride the bike 5meters in the tent, does not prov to me that the bike runs. Just look at some of the bikes, come on build a bike that needs whole sturgis to make a u-turn. And just because it is a freestyle class, it doesnt meen that you could put 2 wheels on a bar and motorize it. The tricky bit is to build something innovative with finish and make it possible to punish it on the road. I really like most of the bikes, but handling and finish was really bad……

12. 12 bigalyts Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:00 am

Chris I understand the Talent and the Craftmanship and the Engineering. I understand Dave as well. How could a Bike Builder spend the amount of time, energy, craftmanship, money into a Motorcycle that you are not going to ride ever and no one else where either. It sounds like “SIN” !

13. 13 Fluke Aug 11th, 2009 at 10:40 am

The Kruger bike is the only on of the top 3 that looks like it could be ridden safely and for any distance. The Kris Krome bike doesn’t even have steering or suspension of any kind as far as I can work out.;a crow bar would be needed to pry that seat out of the crack in your arse and your nose would bang on the front tire everytime you went over a pebble in the road. the only way of turning it at low speed would be to get off and lift the bike and place it in the direction you hope to go.

So at what point does lack of actual rideability turn a motorcycle into a piece of static art that should be on display in an art gallery rather than at a motorcycle show?

14. 14 John "JP" Persitza Aug 11th, 2009 at 1:35 pm

My comments below were written in response to Bigalyts above post and was posted along with some footage of Ramblers maiden run in another chain of comments, causing posters on that chain to think I was responding to them rather than the indivual I actually was. I am attempting to correct that confusion.

Alright, to those in former comments who said “Not ever ride it?!”. Are you nuts? We ride all our bikes and the latest is no exception. Can Dave have a little time to tweak it before making it his daily bar hopper?. This video is him riding it one hour after first pouring fluids into it, seconds after getting it started for the first time, and 5 minutes before we loaded it into the trailer to make the entry check in deadline for the competition. As we get the bike dialed in we will include more video of it’s various destinations. You will forgive us if we also include various hand gestures.

Now, the above time line from first fluids to running is pretty impressive when you understand what he did to create that engine. He started with a 1973 Honda CB 550 transverse four. The top end he cosmetically massaged to what you see in the pics. The overhead valves and the availability of parts for this engine, as opposed to an old Henderson lets say, was Dave’s motivation for using it. So that parts would be available, so that he could RIDE it.

The lower end of that engine then was completely reworked by removing the unitized transmission and refabbing the cases into what you see, adding a remote oil resevior, hand fabricating the timing assembly and hand fabricating the bell housing and clutch assembly. The cases were then sent out to be line bored so that they could once again be set up to accept the stock internals. The amount of details that I could relate to you about all the went into accomplishing this could probably overload Cyril’s server and I am not going to spend the effort on you until I think you are worth it.

Since some of you have been asking about what exactly the engine is, and I have begun to explain above, I will
    finish the description of the drive line. The transimission is a modified 3 speed BMW gearcase which Dave stuffed a 4 speed BMW gearset and into. The final shaft drive is courtesy of a Yamaha Virago.

A final thought for now, is that anyone with $7,000 to $10,000, a working knowledge of Ebay, a local source for sheet, bar and tube stock, and a willingness to spend all of their time outside of their day job for two or three years could build this bike. Of course, they would also have to possess Dave’s talent as well, which I am pretty much sure why no one else has.

Fluke, come to Milwaukee and we will go riding. We hang out at the Iron Horse Hotel alot some come find us there if you do not want to come to the shop. Once you know what you are talking about we can finish this conversation. Your comment is most defined by the first sentence in which you say that the Krugger bike is the only one of the top three that “LOOKS” like it could be ridden safely. Looks can be decieving, and I am fascinated that you feel your review of a photo gives you superior awareness of the capabilities on a particular feat of engineering which surpasses the engineer who created it.

In a race, I guarantee Freddy’s bike would kick ass. Some of us like to ramble around town though.

To the majority of the rest of you, thank Thank you for your congratulations, we really appreciate your support.

Cook Customs

15. 15 sturgis Aug 11th, 2009 at 2:38 pm

About Kruggers bike and the rear chain and swing arm?????

16. 16 John "JP" Persitza Aug 11th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I would love to answer your ????? I just can’t figure out what it is.

Cook Customs

17. 17 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Credit is always due to those that compete and are in the honors catagory. There is no other term to use other than respect. To see the bikes in person and not online is the ONLY way to fully comprehend the masterminds at work.

18. 18 David Aug 11th, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Dont get me wrong I think all the bikes are Enginnered and developed a bike to be pround of.I give then that but lets put that fortitude and pershervision into a product that can br ridden an sold as whole bike or many just sell the coolist parts off that someone else could use on their bike. This just makes since if you want to be in the industry and make a buck here and there.

19. 19 John "JP" Persitza Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:25 am

Please confine your blog entries to when you are sober.

20. 20 Sturgis Aug 12th, 2009 at 1:49 am

Sorry for the text failure. Look at Kruggers rear chain under the swingarm. i dont understand why bikes on these levels have those kind of problems. I mean how hard can it be to check clerance for the chain before painting. The bike is not driveable in my eyes………

21. 21 John "JP" Persitza Aug 12th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Hmmmm, given the proximity of the swingarms pivot point to the transmission drive sprocket that the chain rotates around I am thinking it would all work fine. But them, I couldn’t make that kind of determination from looking at a photo.

If you want to make this interesting I could contact Freddy and ask him to shoot some video of the area in question while load is being applied to the rear suspension. You and I could make a bet on whether or not the chain hits. I ‘ll bet that it doesn’t. What do you say?

Cook Customs

22. 22 Sturgis Aug 13th, 2009 at 12:30 am

He already told me that it does,so it doesnt matter. The point is i really like your bike and many of the others to,and I dont have much to complain on your bike, exept from misses on the finish. This is a world championship in bike building, not kindergarden. Just take a look at The Kris Khrome bike, it doesnt belong there. You cant stere it, and I keep on woundering why people let something like that through. Whats up next, bikes that have no steering at all, plastic engines etc etc…….As I said before dont take this personally……….

23. 23 John "JP" Persitza Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

There is supposed to be a video coming of the Kris Krome bike to demstrate it’s handling properties. Let’s be looking for it and see where it takes us.

When you talk about letting something through……………..Kris’s bike is going out of it’s way to try to change the future of how motorcycles work. The life of a pioneer is a hard one. Sometimes you survive to rule the west, sometimes you die. But everyone should appreciate the pioneer spirit.

A hitting chain……..well sometimes when you are pushing the boundaries you go a little outside the lines. After more mileage on Ramble we have discovered that Dave’s original choice for carburation is flowing too much air and making the bike run hot. Now we need a new carb to dial it in. Kind of a paltry price to pay for the satisfaction of building a one of a kind engine.

I do not know what it next, but fortunately there are people out there trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply,

Cook Customs

24. 24 Taylor Nov 20th, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I have to say that i am both shocked and appalled at the vitriol displayed here. Especially from those who obviously don’t have the slightest idea of what they are talking about. The kris krome bike is simply amazing. I haven’t seen anything that innovative, that creative or that beautiful in the motorcycle industry, or any other industry for that matter in my entire life. The Dave Cook machine is a gorgeous incredibly executed tribute to ingenuity, adaptation and a good solid respect for traditional good looks combined with modern design.

The Refexion is less of a means of transportation and more a vehicle of transcendence. It leaves all preconceived notions of form and function behind and incorporates sublime organic intervention. The balance and harmony of it’s design are unprecedented. No prototype was ever a perfectly function product. But as an indication of possibilities and new directions it is flawless.

The Rambler carries me back to my introduction to motorcycles. Ten years old and throwing a leg over for the first time ever on an old 165cc Harley dirt racer. And paying homage to the scarred knuckles and the can do attitude of making what you have work, of taking the existing, the known the common place and giving it a whole new and excitingly different life.

Ok so some find these bikes intimidating because they have moved so far out of the typical bar hopper custom box. So what they aren’t what you’re used to, so what it’ll take some adjusting to new dynamics to be able to handle them. Don’t be so friggin terrified of change. Grab a hold of your manhoods boys and remember what a motorcycle is for. Remember that it’s supposed to invigorate you, supposed exhilarate you, supposed to even scare you. It’s a reminder that you are a living breathing, thinking, learning, growing and changing creature with a future. These bikes ARE things of tomorrow.

Open your minds a bit to possibility. And stop being such grumpy old pri……