Kris Krome Rolling Piece Of Art

Kris Krome Rolling Piece Of Art
When you will read that this custom bike built by Kris Krome Customs was rewarded with a 2nd place in “Freestyle Class” and 1st place in “Metric Class” of the AMD World Championship Of Bike Building, I know very well the kind of reactions that some of you are going to have. It’s not a rider! So, let me explain something to you. The AMD Championship has a “Harley Modified Bike” for daily riders. The “Freestyle Class” admits bikes after it is shown that they crank & roll, nothing more. Then the competition is mostly about showing a degree of excellence in design, fabrication and engineering, Regardless of practicality of these bikes, builders innovate in many areas and some of these designs and tricks will be adopted, perfected (and unfortunately sometimes stolen) to be incorporated in the mass produced motorcycles. Same as Fomula 1 race cars testing new solutions used (much) later in the cars we drive.
“Re-flex-tion” is powered by Triumph T120 engine cradled in a highly polished stainless steel hand-made frame., rolls on front & rear 23 x 3.75” wheels slowed by Jay Brake brakes and because the frame rake is a whopping 75-degree! feature an “Elastamerik” front end (turning is made possible by articulating motion, whatever it means). And I agree with my fellow professionals who judged this bike. It’s a gorgeous rolling piece of art. Kris Krome Customs
kriskrome1kriskrome2kriskrome3When you will read that this custom bike built by Kris Krome Customs was rewarded with a 2nd place in “Freestyle Class” and 1st place in “Metric Class” of the World Championship Of Bike Building, I know very well the kind of reactions that some of you are going to have again. It’s not a rider! Look at the rake, the steering, the seat, etc…So, let me explain something to you. The AMD Championship has a “Harley Modified Bike” for daily riders. The “Freestyle Class” admits bikes after it is shown that they crank & roll, even if their main main purpose is not to be ridden every day or for long distances.
Then the competition is mostly about showing a degree of excellence in design, fabrication and engineering, Regardless of practicality of these bikes, builders innovate in many areas and some of these designs and tricks will be adopted, perfected and (unfortunately) sometimes stolenby others to be incorporated sooner or later in mass produced motorcycles. Same as Fomula 1 race cars testing new solutions, some used later in the cars we drive every day.
“Re-flex-tion” is powered by a Triumph T120 engine cradled in a highly polished stainless steel hand-made frame., rolls on front & rear 23 x 3.75” wheels slowed by Jay Brake brakes and because the frame rake is a whopping 75-degree! feature an “Elastamerik” front end (builder states that turning is made possible by articulating motion). Anyway, I agree with my fellow professionals who judged this bike. It’s a beautiful mechanical rolling piece of art. Kris Krome Customs (picture copyright HRF/AMD)
Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

55 Responses to “Kris Krome Rolling Piece Of Art”

1. 1 Brandon Aug 13th, 2009 at 9:34 am

Huh. I am not sure what I should think. Good looking, on the edge of being a sculpture. But I understand Cyril’s explanation.

2. 2 Shifter Aug 13th, 2009 at 9:37 am

Can the builder explain the steering?

3. 3 Jeff Nicklus Aug 13th, 2009 at 9:50 am

This is a work of art that should be displayed on a wall somewhere …. it should not be considered a motorcycle or entered into any motorcycle competition. In my opinion every motorcycle entered into any competition should first have to be riden in a group ride of at least 10 miles. You don’t complete the ride you are not considered for the competition. Just my opinion.

I agree with Cyril, this is a beautiful piece of art and my hat is off to Kris!

Over & Out,

Jeff

4. 4 Johny Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:13 am

I guess that it’s a good example of what some people do to build up a name in the industry and entertain the bike show visitors. For this, mission accomplished.

5. 5 Fluke Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:15 am

If this w

6. 6 Bonneville´s fastest naked man... Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:16 am

It is the eternal question…Is it a bike? in my opinion it is, and one of the most beautiful ones i´ve ever seen. Let´s see, this is a contest in wich no rules are given. Builders from all around the world are trying to do their best, in style, engineering, and creativity. This is the place to show all this. Rideable? What is rideable? ten miles? wich speed? In the States ( long highways) or in Madrid ( hell of traffic jam) ?? This guys are trying to push the limit; it´s like a concept car. it will show the lines to follow, to dream about iron on wheels. I am fed up of people saying short minded things about bikes like this one. It is a SHOW BIKE. Nothing else.
    Ever try to attend a MX race with a Yamaha R1? Sure not. It will be out of it´s natural place. So think about it.

7. 7 Fluke Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:19 am

oops.

If this was just was just a radical concept to showcase Chris Chrome’s very evident talent and skill. fine. But it won the metric motorcycle class and placed second in freestyle motorcycle.

Key word there is motorcycle. it has to rideable to some degree. Otherwise it should be just art and entered into suitable art shows.

8. 8 just my opinion Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:47 am

Some one please explain articulating motion. From what I am seeing this bike can not turn. It is a peice of art for sure but that being said I don’t believe it should be considered a functioning motorcycle. Not sure it was intended to be. Great job of showing your artistic abilities though.

9. 9 Kris krome Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:49 am

Hello everyone,
    first thank you for your replays both + and-
    without feed back how could any builder become
    better

But FYI THIS BIKE RIDES GREAT!!

My team and I will have a flim clip on line
    within the next 24 hours explaining and showing
    how this new system works, and works well

I would also like to thank all of the people
    who have supported us and our attempt to
    change to look of motorcycles to come.

Also a big personal congrats to Dave cook
    and his crew, we have developed a friendship
    and I look forward to our shows together to come

10. 10 Dave Blevins Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:51 am

All the nay-sayers need to understand something here.. bike SHOW. Not bike race, not bike ride, not bike endurance, not DOT compliance, not comfort, not even functionality aside from starting and engaging the gearbox.
    This was a bike show, a showcase of style, lines, use of color, fit & finish, and fun to look at. Of course we all know you would not ride this bike across country, or even across town for that matter. Relax and enjoy it for what it is… a damn fine show bike!

11. 11 Kris krome Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:56 am

Also what a complement it is that the design
    flows so well that it appears that it does not
    turn.

Anyone who was at tha AMD World championships
    who has seen the bike in person had thought
    the same, until that jaw droping second that
    they saw it turn.

Yes the bike has 75* of rake but it also has
    3.5″ of trail , the geo is correct creating a great
    ride.

Geo is geo regardless of where it is placed
    on the bike,

let’s all remember to think outside the box!

remember that there were some crazy guys
    once who said, we could fly, go to the moon,
    ect.

12. 12 Rusty Knuckles Aug 13th, 2009 at 3:16 pm

an amazing piece of work, psyched to see the video of it running. The set up reminds me of a hybrid road racing bicycle, bitchin for sure.

13. 13 Grayhawk Aug 13th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I looked at it, the bike, at the show and had to really try to figure it out ;as just a casual glance or picture will not get you there.

Anyone ever seen an articulating seismographic offrode buggy or a big city double bus that looks like it breaks in the middle to turn, “articulates at a joint”, if you will and yes it turns/leans from the articulating joint and as such no reason its not rideable. Anyone remember those old trike work duty tricycles that turned from a point/joint in the middle, a bit more sophisticated then that but similary principaled, etc. Probably could have a longer wheel base and still get around a turn easier than a extended front end on a chop.

Way out of the box but great insight. Congrats Kris you earned it. Good to see you and a lot of the builders there on site were so open and willing to talk about your creations. You stopped and took the time to answer questions on another bike and its frame you had outside the tent and that was appreciated.

Regards
    Grayhawk

14. 14 just my opinion Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Wow wild design for sure. Until explained I would have bet the bike would not turn. Great job you definately thought out side the box on that bike.

15. 15 Ken Steil Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I know kris, he feels the same as most of you. He has always told me that a bike should be rideable no matter what show it is built for. I have seen all of kris’s bikes and he has never built anything not rideable. Not only are his bikes rideable, but they ride well.I had the privalege of riding his S&S Anniversary bike with elasmeric suspension. I can tell you that that bike rode smoother than my road king. When you see the video of how Re-flex-tion turns, I think that you will be amazed. It looks like a blast to ride. Congrats to Kris and to Dave Cook. I’m proud to see a couple of Americans at the top!

16. 16 Steve Carr Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I have to say, This bike is just absolute art. Great Job!

With that being said, I have to ask the question…Has anyone ever seen a bike in person or in pictures that was built for a show of any kind that was not ridable? I think this is an urban legend, sort of like BigFoot, everyone knows of Bigfoot, but no real proof of it. What would be the point of spending all your time, money and hard work to build something that cant be riden and enjoyed. A person would have to be out of their mind to do such a thing. Isn’t the biggest thrill of building a bike to be able to take it out among your buddy’s to the local hangout on Saturday night for a few beers? If I were to ever see a bike in a show that was not able to run or be riden I personaly would have no respect for it what so ever and would consider it nothing more than a plastic model car we all used to build when we were kids…………….If you cant ride it, take a sledge hammer to it!

Steve Carr

17. 17 John "JP" Persitza Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Wow,

Had to weigh in on this one!

My biggest concern here is what I am beginning to think may be a responsibility on the part of AMD builders to provide education to the public along with innovation. I normally do not consider myself to have the time to concern myself too much with outside opinion, but this last AMD event of course is too close to home for me to ignore.

I am dumbfounded at how quick people are to make what they believe are rock solid judgements in circumstances where they do not have even enough information for an informed opinion.

So, my suggestion would be this. If someone has a question about how something works-why it works, and how well, ask. You may learn something, and then you can have your opinion based on some idea of what you are talking about.

In addition to being able to learn something you may be able to teach something. Case in point. Upon returning from Sturgis the first thing Dave wanted to do was ride Rambler around town (well, around to our local hangout bars). He quickly learned that the carb he had selected for his one of a kind “international” engine was flowing too much air for his 550 displacement making it run too hot. He has it all figured out now (thanks to some input from an engineer at Zenith) Maybe someone on line could have been the one to to help pin point the issue sooner if questions were being asked about how it ran instead of comments be made about how it couldn’t run.
    Believe it or not, we build these things to ride, not just look at. And it is a damn tricky, difficult, and very satisfying process.

Thanks Kris, I hope we have the energy to stay in the battle next year, it was a hell of a fight this year.

JP

Cook Customs

18. 18 Jeff Nicklus Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Steve Carr,

Dude, I know of several show bikes that could only be started and not be actually riden. I am not naming names but one guy I know had the gas tank built into the swing arm and it only held about 5 cups of fuel, just enough to start the bike and have it run an few seconds …. other than that it was just a show queen.

Over & Out,

Jeff

19. 19 John "JP" Persitza Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I have to admit, that if we were commissioned to produce a bike with no intention of it ever doing anything except being seen in shows, I would opt instead to sculpt a stainless steel nude statue of Angelina Jolie.
    It would take about the same amount of effort and be alot more appealing to look at as far as I am concerned.

My concern with comments that I am reading is that most judgements about what any given bike is or is not capable of are being made by people who have no basis in fact for making such a judgement.

The world we know today is mostly full of things that most people previously thought would not work.
    If something ultimately just won’t work, then it is time for the scrap heap. I would just like to see fewer assumptions and more facts involved in how the products of innovative ideas are viewed.

JP

Cook Customs

20. 20 Steve Carr Aug 13th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Bottom Line……..

Building a bike that you cant ride is like having sex with no orgasm. Why Bother…… It takes the same amount of time to build a bike you can ride as it does to build one you cant.

Steve Carr

21. 21 Boss Hawg Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Jeff…you lettin em pick on you Bro, you being to light on em?

Any bike in a show needs at least 100 miles of verified documented time trials on the highway and must be rode in.

Like Brother Jeff, I have seen bikes that were pushed into place and had no wiring and had sculpted foam for an oil bag/tank, etc….

Financial wherewithal and any one can build, or have built, a work of art. Just look at OCC…hahaha

Congratulations on the win…she looks sweet…vroom vroom.

See ya at Thunder Beach…time permitting…beers and din din on me for the PT Boozer.

Boss Hawg

22. 22 sweetlemonaid Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

You have to admire the work and dedication that went into the creation of the motorcycle. Whatever you opinion, it is no more radical than the extreme radical forks used in the 60′s and 70′s; no more radical than the radial powered motor Jesse James’ bike; and the radical, yet now accepted, Conferate Wraith.
    On a different subject, where can one get more information on Dave Cook’s 550 international engine used in the “Rambler?”

23. 23 David Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:50 pm

OK JP you sound like a pretty smart guy. I am not debating the fact Dave’s bike runs or not he seems like a great fabricator.Why were you in such a hurry to put such a well engineered bike into the SHOW and it didnt run right(poor engineering?)? Why not get it right and show it next year(great and timely engineering!)Then there would probably be no controversy and a great chance at still winning the SHOW!!!
    As for this ART BIKE maybe there should be an ART class.Why is it in the Metric Class it’s a British bike not Japanese Mertic.Or is it really a bike at all or just rolling art. Concept Class might be a good one to have to enter this stuff in and would probably be less competitive and a greater chance of winning not having to be in a class with Real bikes.
    Although I wasn’t there if Steven Tyler(sic) wasn’t there was it really a bike show at all?

24. 24 OldSlowGuy Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

I have never posted here before, but I must say that after it hit me how this bike steers I think it is brilliant. This takes minimalism to a whole new level, very impressive.

P.S. I had to study the photos on and off all day until I figured out how it turns.

25. 25 Chop Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:59 am

Ok, the bikes for sure runs forward Kris, but let us see a 90degree turn in a crossing. Ok if you all guys think its ok to build bikes like these, but whats next, plastic engines???? And by the way, the trail is much more than 3″, so please learn a little more hopw trail works……….

26. 26 Rodent Aug 14th, 2009 at 8:11 am

nice art to put in living room

27. 27 Kris krome Aug 14th, 2009 at 8:37 am

Your right the trail is 3.5 ” as I have stated

your also right the bike has a turning radius
    much like a chopper so making a 90* turn
    would be very difficult.

Also your right again if I can design and develop
    a plastic engine It would be a great way to save
    on weight.

Thanks for thinking outside the box with that one

28. 28 John E Adams Aug 14th, 2009 at 8:42 am

Bravo Kris! A beautiful piece of interactive steel art!!!

29. 29 FHP Scott Aug 14th, 2009 at 9:48 am

Congrats Kris,

Can’t wait to see the video.

30. 30 Jeff Nicklus Aug 14th, 2009 at 10:04 am

Boss,

You know better than to think I let anyone pick on me!

I believe the bike is a beautiful piece of art and I would be honored to have it mounted somewhere in my home ….. Kris did a hell of a job on the bike. As an engineer I look at the bike and all I can say is WOW! However, with that said, I must further say that I wouldn’t want to ride the bike myself …… the seat would stick up my ass and I would worry that if I hit a marble sized pebble in the road I would fly over the handlebars …. and at my age, that would leave a mark!

Again, beautiful bike Kris ….. keep up the good work!

Over & Out,

Jeff

31. 31 p Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:27 pm
  32. 32 Ryan H. Aug 14th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Let’s be honest,

Even the AMD winners that appear more traditional and look as if they steer in a standard fashion or have nice big comfy seats aren’t making trips cross country. Is the Hot Dock bike from last year’s win really putting on tons of miles?

All the winners this year are pushing design forward, and fine if you don’t like the style, but these bikes act as showcases for the industry of motorcycle design, much like the concept cars shown at auto shows.

I would love to see a traditional, immaculate, stock shovelhead win the AMD, but it’s not going to happen. Those bikes may be great, reliable scoots, but they serve a different purpose. These guys each had a vision that they then had the determination to see through to completion. What they eat doesn’t make you sh&t, right?

Congrats Kris and Dave and the rest of the winners and participants. I love the innovation and spirit here.

33. 33 laurence zankowski Aug 14th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

For all you folks trying to figure the steering out, if you were born or lived in the snowbelt, you would understand pretty quick. Kris gave a clue to how it works.

Get yourself a runner sled( a snow sled that is, like rosebud from the film Citizen Kane) and flex the runners by pushing the steering handle left or right.

Maybe a little simply analogy for what Kris did, but I see it quite clearly. Heck, I even thought of a few mods to make the front end of Kris’s bike have some unique flexibility with an increase of longitudinal rigidity built in.

if I am way off the mark here Kris and Cyril I apologize, however I feel pretty sure that this is what is happening.

Laurence

34. 34 A 1 cycles Aug 14th, 2009 at 2:57 pm

troy…your supposed to ride it! not run alongside it! lol .. nice piece…people freaked out two years ago when i rode my twin engined twin turbo bike 4 miles to the show..they thought it didnt run either..congrats

35. 35 Robesqueo Aug 14th, 2009 at 4:05 pm

you guys have LOST THE PLOT…’a fully articulated elastomeric suspension (with 2cm of travel)!!!!’ GET A GRIP!!!

The video for the bike ‘riding’ is a joke! A bike has to be ridden WITHOUT the feet touching the ground EXCEPT AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS! Not even the most ludicrously unusable barhopper that I’ve ever seen is as unridable as this bike. Have you guys forgotten what MOTORCYCLING is? Did you ever know?

Has custom building gone so far up it’s own backside that even the judges (at what is supposed to be the most prestige global competition) have been so seduced by the shiny stainless and slick engineering that they’ve forgotten that they’re judging a MOTORCYCLE? Beautiful art Kris, and beautiful engineering, but don’t waste any money trying to get a patent on your configuration.

And AMD, please explain how this bike took out a prize in the METRIC class? Or was that the only space left to ‘squeeze it into a category’? I hope this excursion into fairytale bikeland will result in enough controversy to have some parameters defined that future entrants will have to also meet, such as RIDEABILITY. They may not have to conform to DOT standards (as all the countries represented here are different), or not ever be able to get licensed, but a mapped course including cones and track to demonstrate RIDEABILTY please.

Kris, I’m all for thinking OUTSIDE THE BOX, but some thoughts should remain just that…how about putting your obvious talent towards inventing product that enhances and improves the riding experience, and hopefully the evolution of motorcycling, in a direction that is not a dead-end? Do we need yet more examples of what DOESN’T work?

36. 36 Robesqueo Aug 14th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

PS…a “Triumph” of STYLE over CONTENT!

37. 37 Robesqueo Aug 14th, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Watch this waste of resources at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfwhiI7nDQ4

38. 38 Kris krome Aug 14th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Agin thank you for you input, I am looking
    fowarded to your entery in the AMD world championship
    next year.

Also thank you for your intrest in the bike
    and how it works,

I wonder if the motorcycle you ride has a chain
    or a belt?

If you may rember not to long ago
    people such as yourself ” said that belts will
    never work” & you can never replace a chain.

If you take just a min to do some research
    you would find that many things we take as
    normal today were once thought of as
    impossible .

Once agin thank you, everyone who has and
    willl continue to support the advansment
    of the motorcycleing world.

I have many new builds to work on and have
    no more time to reply.
    But please everyone feel free to call me
    and I will me more than happy to talk
    about my passion of motorcycles

kris krome. Be safe

39. 39 John "JP" Persitza Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I wanted to respond to a couple of specific questions that have been asked, so Sweetlemonaid, David, I will get there in a minute.

Kris, as you well know, your video demonstrates that Re-Flex-tion complies with the AMD requirements for running and forward motion so thanks much for helping the Americans finally have our year. I know you must also recognize that it does leave room for some of the criticism it is receiving. I can only believe that many people are not aware that the entire focus of the AMD freestyle competition is on INNOVATION and ENGINEERING

The question of is it a step towards new technology or a concept best left alone is one that I know I can’t answer. I would like to think that there would be more appreciation for your pioneer spirit and patience for seeing what can be developed in the future.

Now, Sweetlemonaid. The term 550 “International” is the short hand way we came up with to describe what is otherwise a bit of a mouthful.

The driveline in Rambler is a one of a kind collection of various metric comments and Dave Cook one-off fabricated components. The engine, from cylinders on up is pretty much a stock Honda CB 550 tranverse 4 cylinder, albeit cosmetically massaged to a bit of a different look. The case, though based upon the cases from the same donor Honda are radically reworked by Dave to allow the engine to be used longitudinally instead of transversely. In addition to reworking the cases themselves, an auxillary oil tank and oil regulator was fabricated by Dave. The timing assembly is one off by Dave as is the bell housing and clutch assembly. The clutch runs Aeromachie clutch plates. The transmission housing is an old 3 speed BMW gear case which Dave managed to fit with a BMW R75 four speed gear set. The shaft drive is adapted from a Yamaha Virago. Intake manifold and exhaust are one off.

So, 550 “International” is the shortest way I could come up with to express all that……. If you have any specifi question you can reach me through our web site. The point of the whole thing is to create a motorcycle that evokes a vintage feel, with Dave Cooks aesthetic sensibility in terms of form and line, and uses mechanical components that we can pick up on e-bay if not a local dealer so that it can be ridden, broken, and repaired at a minimum of cost and inconvenience.

So, David. I am assuming your question about running comes from comments of mine you have read pointing out that we are changing the Ramblers carb to one with lower air flow in response to over heating.

Let me answer this way, long before I was as deeply involved with custom motorcycles as I am now, I was intensely into off-shore powerboats and racing them when I could afford it. Running at WOT pretty much constantly tends to cause more than an occasional cracked piston and engine rebuilds are just part of the program. Each rebuild was begun with the intent of that build being the best balanced one we had done yet, Each time race day was just around the corner we moved faster and tolerances became just a little less important. Bottom line, when race day came, we were on the water. It never occurred to me not to be. Just as it would never occur to Dave or I not to make a competition deadline it we could possibly meet it Dave put together a one of a kind engine to put into a one of a kind bike, and yes, at the end of the process timing got crazy tight to the deadline for leaving for Sturgis. The engine had first fluids poured into it on the day we had to leave,…..and then we had it running within minutes of the first attempt. (No bench testing, timing on building the rest of the bike would have been too adversely affected) I call that an amazing success. In fact, it doesn’t get any better than that in my world. We were thrilled to be able to load it up and race to the competition. I would have loved to have Dave take a few victory laps around the tent. Turns out we would have blued the pipes. Big deal.

Bottom line. Everything we do is a little different, a little crazy. Wouldn’t be worth doing otherwise.
    Coming up with something that seems like it shouldn’t work, then making it work, then making it work well, is the only way we get to move on to the next crazy thing. Somebody’s got to do it.

JP

Cook Customs

40. 40 nicker Aug 14th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

VERY Interesting…!!!

Certainly out of the box design.
    Were it more “old-man-ergonomic” i would love to give it a try.

However, as it is, for my ilk (too) it’s simply a “display item.”
    But a very cool one at that…..

And the industry needs more out-a the box thinking.

-nicker-

41. 41 sweetlemonaid Aug 15th, 2009 at 2:26 am

Thank you for the engine details of the Rambler. Cook Customs did an outstanding job in reworking the Honda 550, and mounting it within the frame of the Rambler.
    As a whole, I appreciate the time and utter devotion to the craftmanship show in the most of the AMD winners. It was nice to see a few winners not using the “Harley V-Twin,” and placing in the top ten. From Rambler’s engine, to Kris Kromes’ concept, and to the Swed’s BMW, you have to admit to “thinking outside the tech box!”
    Let’s be honest, a pure motorcyle is either two or three wheels, and an engine; arguing or dismissing anything more is somewhat silly. You have to rememeber that AMD is judge by BIKE BUILDERS (their peers). Most of us stand on the outside; the winners are from the inside judged by themselves. It is not a popularity contest, which is why certain builders have habit of winning the past Biker Build Offs. Take a deep breath, and appreciate!

42. 42 RF Aug 15th, 2009 at 6:55 am

I got to spend a few minutes talking with Kris & looking at this bike at the AMD show in Sturgis. This bike is truely amazing & Kris should be very proud of his achievements on this motorcycle. Congratulations Kris & keep up the good work.
    RF

43. 43 Shark Aug 15th, 2009 at 10:24 am

Everybody needs to remember that bikes are built for different reasons. If you want to enter your softail with the pretty paintjob in a local ride in show, great , that is what it is for. You don’t win top level shows by bolting on one more piece of chrome than the other guy or building a bagger with an extra cup holder. These shows are won by innovation and engineering, you have to build something that no one has ever seen before. These bikes are not designed to be perfect machines to log thousands of highway miles on.
    Some guy is talking about Cooks bike not being rideable or ready because the fuel ratio wasn’t perfect ? Automtive and Motorcycle companies have huge factories with teams of engineers working on new concepts and it still takes years to get the bugs out of new designs. These are a couple of guys in small shops designing revolutionary bikes in a matter of months. Cut these guys some slack for what they are accomplishing.
    If you think that you can do better, go ahead and build a bike with a reclining seat, that has a 20 gallon gas tank and turns on a dime and compete against the top pros. The rest of us will appreciate the amazing machines that these guys build.

44. 44 Steve Carr Aug 16th, 2009 at 6:34 am

Kris,

As an acomplished builder such as yourself, you dont have to explain anything to anyone. The bike speaks for itself. Anytime people don’t understand something, or something creative and outside the box comes along, the only way people can deal with it is to critisize. There is nothing here to critisize.

If anything is to be critisized, it would be a person running down to the local H-D Dealer and standing in front of the wall full of bolt on stuff, picking out a new chrome bolt cover, and running home to “Customize” a bike. Then strutting around at the local bike night pretending to be a bike builder, and then coming back home and getting on the Cyril Huze blog and talking trash about something that they would never have the ability to create such as you have done. This is the mentality that is out there that has to be delt with when you have the kind of talent you have.

Just remember, when people talk shit, that means you are doing something right.

Keep looking forward, don’t explain why, or how you do what you do to anyone. You do what you do because its what you love and have the ability to do.

There are no rules in bike building.

Steve Carr

45. 45 jatinder pal Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:35 am

Sick.

46. 46 Jay Aug 17th, 2009 at 8:48 am

I couldn’t help but notice that some of the biggest critics forgot to do their homework before posting. NEWS FLASH ——- THE JUDGES ARE THE BUILDERS THEY’RE COMPETING AGAINST———
    Since I didn’t actually go to the show, I’m going to trust that the people that actualy build WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP bikes know what to look for. Congratulations to everyone who competed. From my couch they all look like beautiful bikes.

To the Wright Brothers…… I mean KRIS KROME KUSTOMS…. nice work, keep ‘em comin’ !

47. 47 Scharf Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:39 am

DIG IT!

Way to go Kris!

Scharf
    Renegade Magazine

48. 48 Revolution Mfg Aug 17th, 2009 at 11:19 am

Kris,

keep up the work man. and dont listen to the nay-sayers. They all that said a carbon fiber monocoque frame could not be done and handle a vtwin engine (of any size and displacement). well i did it, it works (and my s&s version rides great – i rode it yday). keep up the amazing work. All experimentation leads to advances in design and production. A mere 4 yrs ago everyone balked at carbon fiber on a vtwin – now look what everyone is doing with it.

49. 49 Walt Lumpkin Aug 19th, 2009 at 7:10 am

When I walked into the AMD show the first word that came to mind was WOW! The entire show was without peer but Kris’ bike received a large portion of my attention.

I told friends at Sturgis to be sure and visit the show and see the bike. From the postings above some liked it and some didn’t
    for personal reasons. To each his/her own.

But all of you seem to have one commonality, that being it is a beautiful work of engineering worthy of being art.

Enjoy it for what it is in what ever capacity you have to do so.

50. 50 sweetlemonaid Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:36 am

I will chime in one last time.
    Be honest, who would not to own this bike–be honest.
    I am not a fan of the v-8 notorcycles, but would honestly take the V-8 AMD winner #25
    Ezekiel. And if you want brute force, and a dash of uniqueness, look at http://www.dbbp.com
    under cool bikes/other bikes for the Tatra aircooled V8 bike. Not “pretty” to be sure, however, would you pass on this?
    Conclusion: there are plenty of bikes/concept bikes that I don’t thrill me. But I will not fault any builder for trying. Think how far motorcyles have developed over the years–think of what has come after the crazy, but “well designed” Curtis V-8 that set a land speed record to the V-8 Ekekiel. Do not knock it, if you have not tried it.

51. 51 Christi Kapp Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Kris was our neighbor in the parking lot at Sturgis for the AMD show so we got a peek before the show opened… this bike is not only a masterpiece from an artistic perspective, but it has an ingenious articulating mechanism that *does* make it rideable. Such mastery & engineering in a single package… we are in awe. Just because it doesn’t have the plain-old vanilla “triple tree” that everyone is used to does not mean that you can’t ride it. Kris figured out a new innovative engineering design that is functional… and its application is beautiful. That is about as good as it gets – Den Mother

52. 52 Tony C. Nov 5th, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Kris,

The bike is a beautiful piece of work. The engineering that went into designing that articulating steering was genius. You and your crew should be proud of the accomplishment. I really like the powder coated engine done by PSYCHO CUSTOMS. had to put that one in there for Jared.

Big T.

53. 53 Tony L Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:30 am

I can tell you I am the proud owner of another one of Kris Krome Customs Inc bikes. It is definitely rideable! Even in 35 degree MN weather, I ride it each day. The lightest chopper I have seen, with only the best in components. It also features a Kris Krome frame, one of a kind tank, his own rear fender design, and it hauls ass.

54. 54 James Langston Jan 16th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

It is very unfortunate that many people have been fooled on this one. It is mechanically imposible to ride this bike. You would have to through your center of gravity into a turn causing the rider to go the bike at the point of articulation. How can anybody who claims to know anything about bike building be on board with this.

From what I understand, Kris Krome is no longer building bikes. His father really had the talent to build but they are no longer working together. Good riddance to Kris Krome, fake name and lousy engineering.

55. 55 James Langston Jan 16th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Spell Check messed up the a few points.

It is very unfortunate that many people have been fooled on this one. It is mechanically imposible to ride this bike. You would have to throw your center of gravity into a turn causing the rider to go over the bike at the point of articulation. How can anybody who claims to know anything about bike building be on board with this.

Indian Motorcycle