Pantera Custom Motorcycle

pantera1pantera2You probably noticed. In parallel to the vintage restoration and the new old school style trends, and in addition to the return of Jap and Brit motors used in custom motorcycles, there is a style of bikes getting a new attention from custom builders. The sport bike/dragster look. And not only for one-off creations, but also for limited edition series. Of course, Confederate is one of the companies specializing in this design. A new one is Pantera Motorcycles with this dragster/long wheel base model. The prototype was released in 2004 and is now sold $44,500 with many available options.

Creator Hector Valdes states that Pantera is a street-legal machine and that upon completion (4 months, 30% deposit) you will receive a “Manufacturer’s Title” not a Special Construction title as in with most customs and that this will allow for a much easier registration process with your local DMV. Design cues are: Cradle-less tubular frame with an internal oil circulating system within its backbone. One piece billet aluminum swingarm with fully adjustable shock mount. Modular seat strut system designed for easy customization. Minimalist aluminum transmission and battery support assembly. Sweeping, aerodynamic Fighter-jet style headlight nacelle. Low-slung teardrop fuel cell. Very small production companies seem to pop up every month. Most proposing models in the $45 K to $55 K price bracket. Is there a market? Who is the target? Are we going to evolve to a very fragmented specific niche production custom motorcycle market? Pantera Motorcycles.

14 Responses to “Pantera Custom Motorcycle”

1. 1 Brenda Fox Aug 25th, 2009 at 10:59 am

Kind of wonder what happened to them.
    I did editorial in Robb Report Magazine the main book along with Robb Report Motorcycling Magazine and they really had there heart & soul into developing the bike.

On another note – Huge Props to the photog!
    Great images.
    Cordero’s photos are awesome.

2. 2 Dave Blevins Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:01 am

I don’t like it, unattractive proportions… my guess is it handles poorly too with that wheelbase/rake combination.
    If you are going to build a sport bike, build a sport bike, if you are going to build a drag racer, build a drag racer, if you want a streetfighter, build a streetfighter.
    This is an example of what not to do, and with that price tag, it has yet another disadvantage.

3. 3 just my opinion Aug 25th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Dave; Why would anyone in their right mind want to copy what is already being done? Manufactures are going out of business left and right and the others are cutting back. In this economy you have to create your own market and these guy’s seem to be doing just that.

I think the bike is cool. It has a mean racer type look. Sure the style is not for everyone, but I am sure I am not the only person that likes this bike. Good luck hope you guys do well.

4. 4 Dave Blevins Aug 25th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

just my opinion:
    Ask yourself: Are you gonna buy one? It doesn’t mean anything to say, well I would if I could, but…
    I don’t mind if they sell a thousand of these things, my point was that for 40+ grand you could have a world class streetfighter, drag racer, or sportbike, and trying to mix them together will cause the design and purpose to suffer on every crucial point, resulting in a bike with no audience.
    The Harley V-Rod is classic example of this, not really a cruiser, sportbike, or racer… sales are few despite several years in development, a 100+ years of brand recognition, and was introduced at the height of the motorcycle craze!

5. 5 just my opinion Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Dave; your point does not really hold water. That is like saying Ferrari can’t sell many cars because you could buy a vette and smoke the Ferrari for less money. Although it is true the vette cost much less it is still not a Ferrari. These bikes are not Ferrari’s but they do have a distictive style all their own that I am sure many will like and be willing to pay for. Just as many people pay top dollar for a Ferrari. As I said earlier not everyone will like it but they do have a style I like and am sure many others will as well. And at the price of forty to fifty thousand I am sure they don’t have to sell a million of these bikes to stay in business. When I started my company there was all kinds of people telling me why and how I could not make it. That was a long long time ago and I am still making plenty of money. As for those telling me why I could not be successful they are still not successful but I am. So much for the nea sayers. I never under-estimate what people can do that are willing to try. This country was built on ideas that should have never worked but somehow did. You would be surprised what a lot of hard work, planning and just a touch of luck can do. This industry needs guys like this willing to try something new. I wish them much success and hopefully they won’t listen to guys like you trying to bring them down.
    again good luck guys hope you do well.

6. 6 alan Aug 25th, 2009 at 4:43 pm

for me the swingarm is to long

7. 7 Dave Blevins Aug 25th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Just My Opinion,
    Glad to hear of your success. By the way, I’m not familiar with JustMyOpinion Cycles, where is your bike shop?

8. 8 FHP Scott Aug 26th, 2009 at 6:28 am

Best of luck…

9. 9 madpuppy Aug 26th, 2009 at 7:33 am

“Just My Opinion,
    Glad to hear of your success. By the way, I’m not familiar with JustMyOpinion Cycles, where is your bike shop”?

Dave I wonder if he will reply ? I don`t think so.

10. 10 just my opinion Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:33 am

Dave; You can obviously read but you should work on your comprehensive skills. I never said I owned a bike shop. I said that I own a business. But it does not surprise me in the least that some one who is so negative as you would start attacking me when you can’t make your self look better. After all is that not what you Negative thinkers do? By the way I was so glad to hear of you being happy about my success, that is the one thing in my business that had me worrying at night
    ” that dave would be happy for me”
    I am so honored. Instead of worrying about what I have done you should work on doing something your self other than bashing every person trying to do some good in the motorcycle industry. People like you are what is wrong with the industry.You are always trying to put someone down. Maybe if you would do something with your life you would not feel the need to bash others all the time. Mudpuppy’s comment speaks for itself so there is no need to comment on that piece of genious.

11. 11 Rodent Aug 26th, 2009 at 11:05 am

Concept or a work of art yes, great…a rideable motorcycle?

12. 12 Dave Blevins Aug 26th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Mr. or Miss Opinion,
    Anyone that knows me is well aware that I am a positive and happy person with 20+ years in the motorcyle business. I make far more positive comments than negative ones, but you can be sure all of my comments are based on years of study and the active participation IN THE CUSTOM MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY, and I back all of them with my name and reputation, not some anonymous screen name.
    If you can’t back your posts with your identity, it means that you don’t really believe your own words, or you’re just too chicken to stand by them. I am wasting no more time with an anonymous nobody.

13. 13 just my opinion Aug 26th, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I don’t know what you do or care. I was trying to make a point of your being negative and how that does not help our industry. If you are in the motorcycle industry than you should know that anyone trying to start a business right now in these tough times or bringing in new products in these times does not need you putting out negative comments on their bikes or products. Maybe your one of those that believe you should try and help others to go out of business so that there is a bigger slice of the pie left for you. I don’t know what your deal is, but you being negative does not help.
    I have no idea if you have said positive things in other posts or if you are generally positive. But here it has been nothing but negative and that speaks for itself. Enough said

1. 1 Pantera Custom Motorcycle - Harley Forums USA Pingback on Aug 26th, 2009 at 11:12 am