Harley-Davidson Footwear You Can Wear

harleyshoe1harleyshoe2For evident reason, Customs Builders usually don’t wear Harley-Davidson stuff. They promote their brand! But still, I often hear that Genuine Harley men’s and women’s wear have a good quality reputation, especially the footwear.

What I didn’t know, and probably nor you, is that since 1998 a company called Wolverine World Wide is responsible for building the Harley-Davidson footwear brand under license from the Harley-Davidson Company. I am a Converse guy, and I acknowledge to have never checked before the full Harley footwear line. So I went online and found these 2 pairs that I like (for before and after riding). On the left, for men, it’s called “Static Steel Toe” and for ladies “The Cosmic”. You can wear these ones when we meet in a rally. Buy them because more than ever Harley needs your help… Harley-Davidson Footwear.

39 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Footwear You Can Wear”

1. 1 Kirk Perry Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:16 am

They’d do better than to continue with their line of H-D® (medallioned -to-the-max), dirt carrying lug-soled buckle-stomper boots they’ve been making (and discounting) in the “Outdoor Sportsmen catalog for 30 yrs’
    These skateboard shoes shown are okay, I guess. You’d think they could be a little more imaginative with their designs.
    How about a non-steel toed Gore-tex/leather Mid? Mid’s give you ankle support and are the best universal shoe style, [as long as they use lightweight hi-impact, flat-finish plastic hardware and a medium-carbon content sole (so they’re not loud to walk in), and keep the weight down to 31 oz. per pair. (15.5 oz. for each shoe).

2. 2 uncle Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:55 am

Oh great another demographic HD can whore their brand to. The only “skaters” that would buy these are poseurs. Go ahead and build your big poseur army, we’ll all laugh at them rollin their overpriced chrome festooned land barges.

3. 3 WT Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:01 pm

What’s next Harley prison creepers?

4. 4 Fluke Sep 23rd, 2009 at 1:46 pm

These don’t have a lot to do with Harley, other than name. Not sure how buying them is supposed to help Harley.

Wolverine (Hush Puppies) have just licensed the use of the name from Harley Davidson to sell their own designed shoes, the same as they also did with Caterpillar, Patagonia and Stanley. Mostly made in Asia, but what did you expect anyway.

I can’t criticize he quality though. My Cat shoes and boots are some of the most long lasting I have had. I assume these to be of a similar quality.

5. 5 1550tc Sep 23rd, 2009 at 2:09 pm

What’s next Harley prison creepers………..

nah i hope they bring out some glow in the dark orange harley condoms for guys in prison to test market

6. 6 FUJI Sep 23rd, 2009 at 4:13 pm

When you can’t sell to loons you go for the goons

7. 7 nicker Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Sort-a reminds me of 1955 “PF Flyers” and “US Keds.”

Didn’t much like-em then, can’t get too excited about-em now.

So, what’s next……. HD Finns & Masks…????

8. 8 Todd8080 Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Is it just me or was your first thought when you saw the article that lots of people will use these sneakers as motorcycle footwear?

I guess these folks figure that going down the road is the only going down they’ll ever do.

9. 9 Grayhawk Sep 23rd, 2009 at 11:40 pm

My first thought was PF Flyer also as well as US Keds that were made by US kids now being made by Chinese Kids

10. 10 jatinder pal Sep 24th, 2009 at 4:21 am

Made in chine,worn in AMERICA.

11. 11 Grayhawk Sep 24th, 2009 at 5:27 am

Not really sure where they are made but for sure would not be worn by me probably someone with flatfeet reliving flatbush.

12. 12 hobie burgnon Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:11 am

Wow, not alot of happy campers (bikers). We make over 200 different styles of H-D footwear. Everything from flip flops to Insulated , Gore-Tex riding boots. Over twenty styles of classic Harness and Engineer boots, loggers, steel toe boots etc. The new skate and vulcanized styles are part of the after riding “Garage Collection”. And no, H-D prison creepers are not in our future.

13. 13 WT Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:58 am

What country do you make said 200 different styles of “HD footwear”?

14. 14 Grayhawk Sep 24th, 2009 at 7:16 am

Hobie thanks for responding on your product, although I am quite the happy camper I do not see me in the flatfloot look above, just the way it is and no I did not own any of your original founding company’s hush puppies either . But since you did reply where are the different brands footwares that are sold under the wolverine brand manufactured today because I do not know as stated above, still in Michigan?

15. 15 Kirk Perry Sep 24th, 2009 at 7:53 am

1. “The new skate and vulcanized styles are part of the after riding “Garage Collection”

2. “The other day I saw a guy going down the road here in Fort Lauderdale on a brand new Street Glide wearing shorts and flip-flops.”

Thanks for responding Hobie.

1. Imo, the new Harley riders of 2010 are not really wearing bluckle-stomper boots anymore.
    In part because the word “Attitude” means a person with an “attitude” is lame.
    I think H-D® owes it to their stock holders to listen to me. Give me 5 minutes of someone’s time at “Garage Collection” to show them my (7) conservative – classic designs.
    We’ll see if “Garage Collection” out sells the leather goods department’s studded stompers they’re stuck with.

2. This fellow has seen the new riding style. Anything goes on a Harley-Davidson today.
    If they can’t arrest you for riding in flip-flops, then people will build on that. Being outrageous in today’s world is important. Anything to show individualism, that is just-short of getting a permanent tattoo.
    The reality of the clothing business (and everything commercial) is that there are hard layers of corporate hardshell. There is no way to crack the layers for an outsider. It’s all under hard contract to committees of designers. No one person can make any decisions in a corporate design outfit, and that’s the problem. Too many cooks adding their ingredients.
    3. “Wow, not alot of happy campers (bikers).”

Well, I tried to give you some reasons. Harley-Davidson® clothes don’t excite anyone anymore.

16. 16 Kirk Perry Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:14 am

Getting Harley-Davidson® to acknowledge a book title that has their name on it is not an easy thing to do. We did on March 3, 1998, in a letter from the HD® legal department.
    Vol. 1 had a few mechanical corrections, we’ve posted on our amazon book page.
    Vol. 2 has zero corrections. All new material for the kit builder. We’re Knuckle & Pan that’s a fact.

We all don’t want to, or will we ever, purchase a new Harley-Davidson® machine. But, most all of us will buy the HD® clothing, if it’s not restricted to the “black leather look”.

We who live in California know that State & Federal prisons have ALWAYS dictated true men’s clothing style. Period. Most especially from the Latino’s. That’s a fact. Go with it or lose out. Style just takes time to “trickle-down” to swap meet “attendees” (since that’s where the new styles are always walking around).

Again, the old Bad Ass (loud exhaust) Attitude is dead & stinking.

People have deep worries and problems out there driving around today. If you come up beside the wrong person, lane splitting on your “loud-&-I’ve-got-an-attitude-Harley” (or clone), and there’s people in LA (for sure) that will light your ass up or force you off the road and into a tree.
    If H-D®’s “selling” bad attitude, then you’re pushing angst factor.

If people want to be Bad Ass….go over and fight in the hills of Afghanistan against the Iran-iban. 🙂

17. 17 1550tc Sep 24th, 2009 at 4:33 pm

And no, H-D prison creepers are not in our future.

dont worrrrrry about it , some guy in china will knock them off

i iike em , i like most skaters shoes, you should make some furrrrry house slippers with handle bars on them for all the ole geezers on here so they can stop whinning

on a brand new Street Glide wearing shorts and flip-flops.

yeah u see the bros doing that in laughlin; 39k bike 10 k paint with matching helmets and .98cent fip flops, biker fred flinstones trying to stop

TODD, this must be the guy’s brother that you saw!!

18. 18 Kirk Perry Sep 24th, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I have a couple of urls to two pics to post later:

• The mid-boot that’s obsolete and waiting to be resurrected.

• And the (Harley-Davidson®) quality flip-flop from the surfing/skate community.
    Tony Hawk is from our county. You don’t want any other flip-flop with good reason. The inventors use aircraft materials and surfing inspired neoprene that has an engineered compaction (you feet find a home), but the strap stays tight. The flip doesn’t flop and I wear mine regularly – riding both Knuckle and Pans with (FX shifter cam) jockey shifts.
    Never a problem. Drives people nuts, especially boxer bikes. For some reason Boxer Beemer riders are especially irked by seeing flip-flop rocker clutch action. Great fun to blow minds most bitterly, without making noise. 🙂

19. 19 bigalyts Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Kirk Perry, what the Hell is wrong with that? The Other day a Guy was riding on the Highway in Ocala and He was in His Birthday Suit ! No BULLS- – T it is on AOL ! –SINCE I have a Captive Audience and some Bloggers representing Harley’s Shoe Industry. WHY THE HELL DON’T THEY MAKE 14’s,15’s and 16’s in Several of the STYLES??? Don’t Even Go there and tell me they Don’t SELL ! When I go to any Shoe Store that happens to carry 14’s,15 and 16 and ask them “Can I try this Shoe in a 15 ” ? And they ALWAYS say “We sold all the Big Sizes” ! Those Canvass Shoes would be Okay to have in a 15 !

20. 20 nicker Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:36 am

“…flop and I wear mine regularly – riding both Knuckle and Pans with (FX shifter cam) jockey shifts…”

Hell, burned the piss out-a my right leg just wearing shorts down to the gas station (stock 42 FL.).

That rear pipe is way too close for comfort (when on the side stand)….. 🙁

21. 21 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 2:24 am

Yea, that rear header gets warm.
    Did you flinch? 🙂

22. 22 hobie burgnon Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:03 am

First and foremost, we make fuctional riding footwear. That’s what brought us to the party 11 years ago and that’s what we are known for. Our footwear can be found (or ordered from) any active Harley-Davidson dealership and also select retail locations. The dealerships always offer the best selection. Our best selling styles year after year continue to be classic harness, engineer and logger styles. We do make 14,15,16,17 and 18’s in select styles including the Static skate shoe. (14 and 15) And hey! I am always open to product suggestions. We get some of our best ideas from spending time at rallys and events. As far as flip flops on bikes, to each his own but I want my piggies protected.

23. 23 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 9:28 am

This is the H-Tech “Skamania”. Obsolete after one or two seasons. Hi-Tech® (estbl. 1974, England) has an excellent shoe last (a block or form shaped like a person’s foot upon which shoes are made or repaired). The “Skamania” is part of the V-Lite™ line.
    Here’s the V-Lite vertical build system:
    • V-Lite™ Uppers – Lightweight uppers, in conjunction with very light, yet durable non-metallic hardware.
    • Comfort-Tec® insole technology. – Molded, contoured EVA footbed. Comfort-Tech Plus and Comfort-Tec Max add antibacterial and shock absorbing qualities. Your feet will thank you.
    • No more heavy steel shanks. Space age mutli-density contoured lasting board ensures torsional rigidity and delivers footwear flex.
    • Lightweight cushioning mid-sole, compression molded EVA that absorbs the hard impact of the outdoors. (sliding down the asphalt after you’ve dumped your Big Twin crossing wet railroad tracks).
    • Lightweight Hi-traction outsole – A low-profile, lightweight carbon rubber sole provides traction, without the unnecessarily thick, HEAVY (dirt holding) lugs found on traditional waffle-stompers.
    So, this “Skamania” you’ll see, is “overbuilt” on the toe-cap. The old version of the V-Lite® was called the “Sierra V-Lite” and didn’t have as much toe-cap as the “Ska”.
    Anyway, Hi-Tech® has lost their market direction. These V-Lites are getting more complicated and Hi-Tec runs out as soon as they’re released for sale.
    For some reason, Hi-Tech is out of the noise-less, V-Lite business. Hi-Tech® is focused on rugged outdoor boots to be worn in the mountains, not suburban footwear anymore.
    A great market opportunity exist today, because of Hi-Tech abandoned it’s customer base.

The sku for the Rainbow®, black, single, arch is: 301ABRLK-BLAK
    This model is all black. Military spec. sewn nylon straps. Harley-Davidson durability in a flip-flop you can trust. Rainbow® flips won’t flop around on your feet. The soles will compress to match your footprint. Durable. I buy (3) pair at a time [one to thrash, and one pair for dress, one for back-up.]
    Ask them to job shoes for H-D® They’ll put the bar and shield logo where their Rainbow® label is now.
    Yea Nicker, I have a half-dollar size burn scar on my right calf, from standing astride the hot and running Pan looking in my pockets for a quarter. I didn’t have any quarters and I burned my leg and yes, I flinched.

24. 24 Todd8080 Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:06 am

Well, as long as we’re making Harley boot requests here, I wear 18″ high steel-toed Harley boots that dealers quit selling many years ago.

They’ve been resoled eight times and are due again, but the last guy to resole them said there’s not enough material left to do it a ninth time.

They offer very good ankle & calf protection and block icy winds well. So why did Harley quit selling them?

The tallest boot they sell now is just ankle-high, which is a bad height for boots; at least it is if you plan to ride further than to the bar and back.

Oh, wait, I think I’ve inadvertently stumbled upon the reason.

25. 25 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:29 am

Although the “Ska” is 3.2 oz. heavier (my Sierra-Lites are 15.5 lbs. each, the “Ska” is 18.7 lbs., each boot) some of that extra weight is from the shoe being 2-1/2 sizes bigger than my size 9, but some of the wt. might be from the water-proofing added to the V-lite “Ska” to make it more of a mountain boot. And in doing so, they lose my interest because I want a suburban slash-cut/mid without the “mountaineering heft”.

The first thing to look for in any slash-cut mid is the hardware.
    If it’s metal (with a Hi-Tec® boot) then the boot is going to weigh more like 18.80 oz. per boot, because to go with that “metal hardware”, the boot will ALWAYS have a Hard Carbon, heavy, LOUD to walk in, dirt retaining lug sole. All of the other Hi-Tech boots are for mountaineering and have a hard, heavy hard carbon lug sole. Worthless for the “floorboard-feel” response m/c riders need for safe forward controls operation or street walking.
    The slash-cut is very conducive to rocker clutch jockey shifting. Your ankle never feels bound, yet you have the lateral protection if you step-wrong off a bar-stool. A Mid could prevent an ankle sprain.
    The featherweight Mid is my suggestion for the Harley market. Stick to basic structure. We want to PAY for comfort quality not logo-bling.

Don’t add an ounce to a size 9, 13.5 lb. Mid.

Pick your colors. Make the style sell the Mid (like people will buy Jack Purcell® tennis shoes just because they like the under-laminate blue toe stripe.
    Put the H-D logo on the back like Keds® used to do. No eagles or skulls.
    Blend earth colors or subtle orange & black. The gore-tex/ leather combos dry fast, if they get wet.

26. 26 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

“Don’t add an ounce to a size 9, 13.5 lb. Mid.”
    I meant don’t add a gram to a size 9, 13.5 oz. Mid.

27. 27 nicker Sep 25th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

“…just ankle-high, which is a bad height for boots, at least it is if you plan to ride further than to the bar and back…”

Well, have only use full length for dirt bike riding.
    But put in over 30 years of (60 miles a day) commuting.
    Put 4500 miles to/from Sturgis this year…..all with ankle highs.

OK, i give up….. Why have i been doing wrong….???

28. 28 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Look at the side wall of the “Ska”

Changing the bottom zig-zag outline of the lug sole, to a radial tread based on the 60’s. Speed-Grip. This will make the HD Mid like the Ska, but you can leave off some of the toe-piece wrap and any other non-utility appurtenance.
    Make it HD®’s own (but go easy on the tread density – with only a hint of the Speed-Grip tread pattern would be necessary, to establish a trademark recognized “look” (like J. Purcell’s) tennis shoe – and better than going “over-the-top” with the tire tread making the boot look more like a tire-tread huarache.

29. 29 fuji Sep 25th, 2009 at 7:02 pm

Why is it so complicated to ride a bike. I started riding with buster brown boots , just wasn’t cool I quess.
    Didn’t really know there was a dress code at the time or the present

30. 30 Kirk Perry Sep 25th, 2009 at 8:09 pm

And to focus on the tread/sole once more, in detail:
    The perimeter of the sole needs to have a tightly radius edge, because it’s important for lateral support (which along with ankle support from the slash-cut) make-up “edgecontrol”. Slightly-like the MT-90 tire tread (where the tread stays flat on the road and the tread doesn’t “roll”, instead the side wall bends in turns.
    The transition edge of sole edge is a focal point. It would best be the “1936-64, 3.5 gallon tank” of Lt.wt. carbon rubber outsoles. 🙂
    A design no one would ever mistake for anything other than H-D®.

Begin the z.z as a drawn-out groove, from the cap and around. Use a dual-accent ring-lines. Make the “tread” radius (rubber) and the (pit) zig as part of the sidewall. [Not a dirt-holder if the z-z design edges are chamfered].
    The z.z transitions above to the the high-density cushion outsole, then to the leather/Gortex® upper.
    Considering the Tin Primary and Cam Cover “wear-patterns” on my (n.o.s.) Sierra V-Lites®; I’d suggest putting the old-style (high top tennis shoe) “outside” ankle area “ball” patch on the “inside” ankles of the Mid, because that round-area of both ankles gets heat and oil contact.
    I don’t think a left (or right) foot shifter boot pad is necessary, unless you can use them as leather support structure-webbing, and keep the wt. to no more than 15.5 oz. per Mid.

31. 31 Todd8080 Sep 26th, 2009 at 7:44 am

“OK, i give up….. Why have i been doing wrong….???”

You’d know all too well if you’d had your foot, ankle & leg crushed between a Harley and an F150 as I did.

Ask anyone who’s ever been whacked by a lightrunner (I have twice), your legs always get injured.

Sorry, no Beatle boots for me.

32. 32 nicker Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Look, Tod-

I drove by just after a car t-boned Pittsberg Angelo in the middle of Danville CA.
    As i recall his leg, laying in the middle of the road, all by itself, still had a Boot on it.

Now, i’ll certainly concede that a full length boot will keep ya from burning the piss out of your leg on a 42FL rear exhaust pipe….. 🙂

But if your trying to tell me that a regular boot is gonna protect ya from a pickup truck, i wanna know what type of boot your talking about……. Hell i doubt my Fiberglass MX boots would protect me from an F100.

Bottom line, ya get enough mass between your leg and any hard-spot, the leg is gonna get the short end of the stick, boot or not.

Perhaps a better strategy would be worrying less about boots and more about riding defensively…. ya think….???

See, the real worrysome thing about this dialog is it may well instigate some bed-wetting-liberal sniveler to instigate foot ware legislation…. and no one wants that 🙁

33. 33 Todd8080 Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Wear bedroom slippers if you want, your legs and what happens to them is of no concern to me, I was simply wondering aloud why Harley only sells short boots these days.

Back when motorcycling wasn’t for wimps, every Harley catalog – for many decades – featured tall boots. For people who actually rode.

A tall leather boot can and often does make the difference between having your foot pinched off at the ankle or just having it broken.

So riding defensively will protect you from someone who runs a light intentionally? Perhaps the term you’re thinking of is “riding psychically.”

And the name’s Todd8080, not “Tod”.

34. 34 Kirk Perry Sep 27th, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Here’s the boots I wear. Not as high as you want, but made by Chippewa for Bean®, they ship in a Chippewa box (labeled Bay Crazy Horse, cap toe lace up), that you can use to send them back to Chippewa for resoling. Green policy going for you, and you’re “customer linked” for life in their view. This engineer boot broken-in, is a good walking-heel boot. Your feet sink into the insole after awhile.
    Or google Stompers Boots. They have hi-boots in Lt. brown, nickle-buckle, single strap engineer, and I ordered pairs from (3) mfgrs. and posted a pictorial review on http://hydra-glide.net/ >search VT (all categories) >Boots and you might find it.

35. 35 Kirk Perry Sep 27th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Actually Stompers was the wrong stor to send you to:
    I thought the ones I bought (and returned) were Georgia® boot.

This Chippewa is 11″ but you can find higher ones if you search.

36. 36 nicker Sep 27th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

sorry, make that Todd8080.

“…. I was simply wondering aloud why Harley only sells short boots these days….”

Presumably, that’s what sells. It’s a business thing.

“….. if you plan to ride further than to the bar and back… think I’ve inadvertently stumbled upon the reason”

And my point simply that i doubt that riding distance has not a lot to do with lower leg injuries.

“…So riding defensively will protect you from someone who runs a light intentionally?…”

Have saved me own ass several times by over the last 50-years, slowing down and looking real lose at intersection cross traffic.

Only a fool (make the REAL FOOL) blows through a intersection just cause they have the Green Light on their side.

Bottom line (IMHO), regardless of who ya are or how much ya ride, the best protection is a good riding strategy, good riding skills, and a healthy dose of paranoia….. 🙂

37. 37 Todd8080 Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Kirk, thanks for those links.

nicker, I always look both ways when entering an intersection and never just “blow through” them.

The last time I was hit in an intersection by a lightrunner was in ’97. It was late at night and I had the green arrow to make a left. All traffic was stopped in all three lanes coming toward me.

The guy that hit me was a 25-year-old crackhead (on probation with no license, insurance or registration) driving a flat black Jetta with black grille, black bumpers and black tinted windows and NO LIGHTS ON of any kind.

He was coming up behind the rest of the stopped traffic but apparently felt he shouldn’t have to wait for a light, so just as I was entering the intersection, he swerved around the stopped traffic into his left turn lane to go straight and run the light. He was doing around 40 mph according to witnesses.

He hit me head-on, spun around and then took off. He left his entire grille, left headlight bucket and most of his windshield & driver’s window in the intersection.

Because his car was totally black with no lights on and it was dark out, there’s no way you, I or anyone else could have seen him coming or predicted his actions.

One thing I’ve learned in 41 years of riding is that no matter how careful or experienced you are, some things are simply out of your control.

38. 38 nicker Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

“…He hit me head-on, spun around and then took off…”

Well, there are some situations that no amount of protection will save ya from.
    Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.

Hope you didn’t suffer any lasting injuries.

1. 1 Harley-Davidson Footwear You Can Wear - Harley Forums USA Pingback on Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:11 am