Lightning Rod Retro Racer Winner

racer1racer2racer3 It Happened on September 27-28 in Panama City, Florida during the 9th Annual Thunder Beach Rally, whose reputation is being “The Most Biker Friendly Free Rally In the US”. The 2 Boys of Lightning Rod Motorcycles, Steve Carr and Rick Bonin, brought 4 custom bikes with hope to go back home with maybe one trophy. 100 custom motorcycles compete in The Best Of The Beach Custom Bike Show. Lightning Rod strikes gold 5 times with 5 trophies for Best Of Show, 1st and 2nd place awards. The “Retro Racer” featured here was shown for the 1st time and is the new pride of Steve & Rick because it features their own “Knuckle Dragger” front end and handlebars. The Build list includes an El Bruto 113″ engine, a 6-speed tranny, a narrow 2″ belt drive, 23″ wheels from Renegade, Tokiko brake calipers with a dual rear setup and single front one. “Retro Racer” is just debuting its Trophy Tour and will be next in all bike shows of Daytona Biketoberfest. Lightning Motorcycles (picture Steve Kelly)

24 Responses to “Lightning Rod Retro Racer Winner”

1. 1 Full Throttle Magazine Oct 12th, 2009 at 7:37 am

These guys build great motorcycles!!!!

2. 2 Boss Hawg Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:06 am

Saw it there at the rally…Sweet!

Boss Hawg

3. 3 alan Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:19 am

hello steve

beautifull bike bravo

4. 4 Andrew Reckhart Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:30 am

What an amazing bike! I’ve been following this bike for the last few months (ever since I saw it on this blog). It is one of the overall best builds I’ve seen in quite some time! It deserves every award and accolade that it receives!

5. 5 Jeff Nicklus Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:32 am

Steve & Rick stopped by to see us in Panama City and I had a first hand opportunity to see this bike, as well as the other two …… “Great Job Guys” is about all I can say! The win’s were deserving!

Over & Out,

Jeff

6. 6 J Oct 12th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Wow- very cool- nice proportions with the tires, too- not too big or small…. Nice high pegs for actual cornering clearance too!

7. 7 Reno Oct 12th, 2009 at 10:46 am

Wow! Cool bike. I can see this monster power sliding around the corners! Oh to be young again!

8. 8 BEN FAIELLA Oct 12th, 2009 at 11:01 am

Congradulations to a fantastic crew! Steve Carr is a fantastic builder and a first class gentleman. We at PIPE DREAMZ have enjoyed our relationship with Steve for many years. Once again, he showed his talent and out of the box thinking. FANTASTIC JOB!,Bbest Wishes, Ben and the PIPE DREAMZ CREW!

9. 9 1550tc Oct 12th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Reno

I can see this monster power sliding around the corners

Yeah just swap in a set of flat track bars…………great looking bike and i really like this new generation of customs bobbers we are seeing on the market 🙂

10. 10 Carlton Carr Oct 12th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

You have made me the proudest father in the world. You have come a long way and I can see a beautiful future ahead of you. I feel sure this is the first of many wins. Your mother would be very proud of you and it is plain to see that you inherited her visulazation and patience. Again, very proud of you. Love you, Dad

11. 11 Lisa Ballard Oct 12th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

It is always great to a small part of their awesome builds. Great Job Guys!

12. 12 Tyrone Oct 12th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

very awesome bike i see it says your very own knuckle dragger front end very nice piece did you also make the frame?

either way it is a awesome piece cant wait for more lightning rod customs!

13. 13 Brenda Fox Oct 12th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Awesome bike and deserving of the win – Congrats!

14. 14 Wikked Kustoms Oct 12th, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Great job Steve! See you in Daytona.

15. 15 Steve Carr Oct 12th, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, it makes all the hard work really worth it to know our peers like what we are doing. The frame is our design, and is a one off custom frame. Each member of the frame is curved or bent , we tried to have no straight members anywhere on the frame.

We worked closely with Rob at Symetry Customs http://symmetrycustoms.com/ who is our frame fabricator to produce this “Retro Racer” style frame, it is very strong and rides a smooth and agile as any custom bike I have ever riden, sotail or hardtail.

We will have 2 of this style bike at the major shows in Daytona this weekend. Willies on Thursday, Boardwalk on Friday, and the Rats Hole show on Saturday if anyone would like to come by and say hi or to just have an up close look at the bike.

Thanks again!

Steve, Rick, Vicki

16. 16 Conrad Nicklus Oct 13th, 2009 at 12:13 am

Dad,

This isnt the bike you saw. You saw Mr. Steves Personal bike. Somewhat similar but not quite.

Mr. Steve,

I was actually just browsing some pics on my computer and remembered I need to send you some pics of the biek show still. I will do that first thing tomorrow morning.

Conrad

17. 17 Steve Kelly Oct 13th, 2009 at 7:01 am

Thanks for letting me shoot this killer bike, I had a great time hanging with you guys

18. 18 Doc Robinson Oct 13th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Mega-cool guys. Way to go! Congratulations on your success.

19. 19 Freddie Arnold Oct 14th, 2009 at 11:24 am

Good luck in Daytona ya’ll. Hope to see you at my Atlanta show.

20. 20 James and Annie Oct 14th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

You Guys Are Awesome!!! Love Ya!! See Ya At Bike Night

21. 21 jatinder pal Oct 16th, 2009 at 7:04 am

Really good bike…..congrats guys.

22. 22 Den Oct 19th, 2009 at 6:43 am

I’m think that Bender by FCM better, look it hear:
    There are the first version. To Sourgis they rebuild it.

23. 23 Skip Jun 10th, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Seen them both last week at Quaker State,They are badd .Question is when r u going to place them up for Sale. I want a Retro Racer… Great Job

1. 1 Lightning Rod Retro Racer Winner FS City Pingback on Oct 12th, 2009 at 7:05 am