New Baker Drivetrain Vintage Cast Aluminum 4-Speed Transmission

bakercast4speedWould be nice if you could install in your vintage or in your vintage looking bike a transmission looking like it belongs to your style of bike but with modern internal components. Bert Baker thought about it. Bye bye polished or chromed 6061-T6 billet aluminum. Hello again to A356-T6 cast aluminum. Bert Baker goes back in time for the look, and invent the modern 4-speed transmission for traditional gear drive speedo or modern late model electronic speedo pick up.

The new BAKER 4 Speed comes available with many options for side covers, with our without kicker, raw or wrinkle black finish and billet hydraulic or mechanical kicker cover upgrades. BAKER Kicker Gears come standard on kicker models. BAKER modern 4 Speed gearset is made out of brass bushings. Direct bolt-in transmission on most models, whether you’re running a tin type primary or open belt drive. Many other options/configurations/finishes for 1936-1986 FL™/X™Shovelhead™, Panhead™, Knucklehead™, Sturgis and Custom Applications. Call a tech guy at Baker Drivetrain.

11 Responses to “New Baker Drivetrain Vintage Cast Aluminum 4-Speed Transmission”

1. 1 jatinder pal Oct 27th, 2009 at 1:08 am

Back to basics….

2. 2 Scot Oct 27th, 2009 at 8:19 am

Still waiting on an updated trans for the Ironhead Sportster… Bert are you listening?

3. 3 BREWdude Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:44 am

looks great! Wish I had one for the bike I’m building now! Good job Bert and crew.

4. 4 Trish Oct 27th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hey guys, i apologize for the typo in the press release i sent to Cyril…

The gearset is not made from brass bushings… the BAKER Modern 4-Speed Gearset is Made Out Of High Grade 8620 Gear Steel; Gears Ride on Needle Bearings Instead Of Brass Bushings.

i do apologize… i was just so excited to spread the news that I didnt give my proof-readers a good chance to catch that. I’ll be the first to admit my mistake though.

Thanks for the props Brewdude!

and Scot: call Baker toll free, 1-877-640-2004 and let the sales guy you contact know that youre interested in an Ironhead trans.

I ride a ’72 Ironhead and have made enough noise around here to get a list started of interested folks. Add your name to the list, and when Bert cooks one up, we’ll call you! He has started to agree with me that there is a need, and the Ironhead is far from dead! i see an Ironhead revival around the corner, actually!

thanks!
    Trish
    Marketing Director
    Baker Drivetrain

5. 5 Doc Robinson Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Cool as! Bert has nailed it once again, he is THE TRANNY GUY!

6. 6 Kirk Perry Oct 28th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Very nice castings Mr. Baker.
    What sort of blasted surface are they? Looks like flat-satin, if there is such a thing.
    Converting a ’65-E66 Main Drive Gear, (MDG’s are,) to H-D #8904 (Torrington® style) needle bearings – (and held in your hand), allows the MDG to spin like a roller skate wheel on the mainshaft, and butter-smooth to turn, when installed in a complete ’36-64 (no ear) transmission.
    I can only imagine what the all-needle bearing Baker 4-spd. will feel like clock-turning.

There’s a “market gap” in 1936-64 OHV, (besides the fact we have still have no replica V-Twin® repop 3.5 gal. tanks). I’m a V-Twin® dealer and I haven’t heard a word about any tank progress. So that’s not happening any time soon.

But, the other missing (keystone item), is being able to gear the 4-spd transmission, so it travels in 4th gear, at a lower rpm than can be obtained from any of the belt-drive primary’s on the market now. “A 31-T (motor) and 47-T (clutch shell), is the only pulley gearing that doesn’t chew-up primary belts”, I was told by the owner of BDL®.

The stock 51-T rear wheel sprocket produces a high-revving feeling in 4th gear on a Knuckle or ’36-64 Pan with the 31/47 primary set-up. Feels like it wants a 5th gear to really lope slower. Better for the motor too, to turn slower. Last longer.

Can the Baker® transmission gearing be “tooth-adjusted” to match the belt drive manufactures 31/47 output, and create a feeling of slow-lope at 63-65 mph?
    That would be a permanent cure for a current problem, imo.

7. 7 Gordo-uk Oct 30th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

There is a need for a quality trany that will fit 65-69 motors, will this do the job?

8. 8 Lyle Nov 1st, 2009 at 4:34 pm

It’s nice to see cast aluminum rather than billet and polished. But why needle bearings?

9. 9 Patrick R Nov 2nd, 2009 at 7:54 am

Will have to check these out! Where can we find purchase info?

10. 10 Brandon Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:01 am

Patrick R. You don’t know how to click on a blue link to go to Baker website?

11. 11 muggzy Aug 27th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I like Baker transmissions, I think it’s great that there are nice modern parts and technology inside them. Kirk Perry and Taiwan Tedd just make me want to puke though. I wouldn’t put a taiwan tedd part on my wheel barrow.