Roland Sands Design Sport V-TWin

rsd1rsd2rsd3Not new, but worth publishing because this style of motorcycle is built more and more in US custom shops. And of course, Roland Sands having built a few of these custom V-twin sport bikes, he carries some responsibility for such interest. This one uses a hand built frame (including a one-off swingarm working via an under seat mono shock) and is powered by a Road Star 110″ engine using Patrick Racing heads/cylinders ad breathing via a Mikuni carburetor. For a pure sport look the front end comes from Ohlins and Roland Sands built a high flying rear fender and a custom exhaust system following the same lines. No surprisingly Roland chose his wheels next door at Performance Machine, the Judge model in contrast cut, 21 x 3.5″ in front and 18 x 8.5″ in rear both dressed with Dunlop Elite 3 tires (respectively 120/70 and 240/40). Roland Sands Design (picture HRF)

20 Responses to “Roland Sands Design Sport V-TWin”

1. 1 Jim C Nov 16th, 2009 at 8:52 am

I am curious as to who the market is for this type of bike? I am thinking that if you factor in the cost to build and who is able to afford it-how many would get sold? I understand the thinking is to try and get a younger crowd but if the younger crowd is given a choice between this bike and a CBR or GXSR,I am thinking they will go for the CBR or GSXR because of pricing,handling,weight and power. Now don’t get me wrong,I think it is a cool looking bike and I can appreciate the thinking and work that went into it but I am 51 yrs old and would not buy it. If I am going to spend the kind of money on a bike that I am thinking this will cost to build then I am going to buy something that I can actually ride and enjoy. I will say that I would rather have this bike than a rigid bobber that seems to be popular at the moment. Especially with the roads we have around here. But then again,what do I know? I hope you all have a great day! 🙂

2. 2 Bigalyts Nov 16th, 2009 at 10:09 am

The Patrick Racing Kit for the Yamaha Warrier Motor, which is same was about 140 HP . I will bet this Bike Kicks Ass. Nice Look ! Bet it costs more then a Buell ! It has some Older Confererate Ideas, and they were costly ideas ! “Every Body Copies Every Body Sometimes” ! Put that to music, Dean ! Doesn’t it SUCK that everybody or most People have to think about the MONEY for the very first, thought.

3. 3 Anybody buyin' it? Nov 16th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Ya know Jim,
    I just had this conversation the other day about the RSD stuff. Very unique stuff, but limited market.
    Great marketing is great marketing, so let them market Roland to the teeth, but this seems like a bunch of money spent for a PM prop. Pretty…don’t get me wrong, but your point is well made. These “younger” kids can barely afford the crotch rocket they’re on and usually drive a beat up 86 Honda so they can have their bike. No money to be found these days for bikes like this.
    Guess if PM can keep feeding money through MAG group to fund these “projects” then more power to them. Wouldn’t make me want to buy PM or RSD stuff any more or any less.

4. 4 Dave Blevins Nov 16th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Jim C,
    I think the marketing attempt here is for someone who already has the bike, (you know, one of those guys from a few years back that maybe wanted a Harley and due to some ridiculous waiting list had to get something else), now it’s a few years down the road, it’s paid for and the owner turns out to actually still like riding and wants a custom bike, but cost prohibits a new Big Dog or something. A guy with a donor bike for engine and electronics, an existing title for easy tagging and cheap insurance, sure goes along way, especially if you can do some work yourself. I’ll admit the engine mods are cool but probably not financially realistic for who would actually build and own a bike like this (custom on a budget that is), remember cost is likely the reason to choose a metric build.
    Get enough American made parts on it and I might even start to warm up to it… well, maybe…

5. 5 David Nov 16th, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Geezus guys did any of you see the movie 2012 over the weekend. How can anyone think about spending this kind of money for just two riding seasons left !!!!
    Maybe they can sell them in India or China to help offset the trade defecit.

6. 6 Fluke Nov 16th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Well if there really were just two riding seasons left, who gives a poop in a hand basket how much the bike costs, it is not like you are going to take you money with you or ever repay the money you borrowed form the bank to buy it.

I have never been a great fan of RSD parts, I just can’t see me ever buying any, but I just so love his bikes.

7. 7 Chopped Nov 16th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I have seen the bike in person, its an awesome piece. Who cares if a 16 year old kid buys it.

8. 8 hoyt Nov 16th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Chopped – agreed. Pics don’t tell the whole story as usual.

Yamaha got the compact drivetrain right. That is more compact than Confederate, Ecosse, maybe even the Thunderbolt engine.

If the engine mounts are in the right location, sporting chassis options open up a bit because I think this is a unit-construction motor with the trans.

9. 9 1550tc Nov 16th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Jim

I am going to buy something that I can actually ride and enjoy

AMEN and at the end of the day isnt that whats its really all about?

i think its more of their marketing plan to have Roland and RSD doing these bikes and parts.

Its hard to knock or slam Roland, he has the unique combination and talent and $$$$ and best of all the guy likes to ride and was a good racer. You want the masses of this whole motorcyele trinket/bauble market……….. go to Kuryakeen ! their the KINGS

Niche market products are always going to get opinions for normal riders, but u need em.

10. 10 Scot Nov 16th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Yamaha motor or not, that bike is bad ass. PERIOD.

11. 11 Brian Nov 16th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Roland is not trying to compete with HD, Confederate or any other mfg. He’s in the unique position of being able to afford to build a small number of completely exotic one-off machines. I don’t think he gives a damn who might be interested in buying his bikes. He builds what’s in his head. Could he sell 200 a year? No way. But he’s not trying to. His creations are very limited and I’m sure he has no trouble selling them. And I’d bet he wouldn’t care if no one bought them. Granted, the business his father built has allowed him to do what he wants. But the guy’s got talent and no one can take that from him.

12. 12 Jim Gianatsis Nov 16th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I like these V-twin sport naked bikes from Roland, Ecosse, Ducati, Aprilia and whoever just because they are practical, rideable, top performing, handling, stopping, and just plain safe and fun custom bikes people can live with and enjoy riding and commuting on.

Every rich first-time rider RUB who bought a custom bike back in the ’90s and early ’00s because he saw all the Biker Build-Offs TV shows on TV, rode his custom chopper one time and then parked it because it wasn’t fun, comfortable, reliable or safe to ride. They never wanted buy another custom bike, if any bike at all. This as much as the economic downturn is what has decimated the custom bike building market.

It will be to the custom bike building industry’s benefit to see bikes like these V-Twin naked sportbikes take over in popularity, to bring and keep new riders in the sport. Its the only way the industry can and will survive and grow again.

What is really exciting now is you don’t have to buy at $50,000 RSD or $70,000 Eccose to get this type of bike. You can buy right now V-twin production bikes like this from Ducati (Streetfighter 1098cc with 150hp) and Aprilia (RSV 1200 Tuono) for $15,000 – $20,000 with superbike performance, handling and braking, computerized fuel injected reliability, and a 2 year warranty with dealers in every town.

Kudos to RSD and Performance Machine for knowing how to market to both groups: custom and production streetbike, using such a neat concept bike featuring components that will work on either.

13. 13 nicker Nov 16th, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Spot on Brian..!!!

RE:
    “…don’t think he gives a damn who might be interested in buying his bikes. He builds what’s in his head… His creations are very limited…”

And isn’t that what Custom motorcycles are all about…..???
    (at least they were, once-upon-a-time)

-nicker-

14. 14 Bigalyts Nov 17th, 2009 at 9:45 am

Nobody said Roland wants to Copy, just saw a little Confederate in His Bike ! This Guy is a Heavyweight and His ideas are very original, thats for sure. There is no way that everybody that Builds and Design’s dont get inspired by “parts” od someone else.

15. 15 jeff & Robbie Nov 17th, 2009 at 1:22 pm

U G L Y !

16. 16 Doc Robinson Nov 17th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

S W E E T!

17. 17 Venom Nov 17th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Roland Sands is trying to “reinvent” something that already exists! Look at Seth Enslow’s vtwin sport bike that he uses around the world breaking records for jumping. Sounds to me like Mr. Sands is merely trying to copy cat someone else’s design…

Stick to making your little billet parts Sands… you’re safer there.

-Venom

18. 18 fuji Nov 17th, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Venom
    How does this bike resemble Enslows bike.

19. 19 jatinder pal Nov 18th, 2009 at 4:29 am

ROLAND…a true genius.

20. 20 chaserhill Nov 24th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I don’t think most of you get it. Roland isn’t trying to be a custom bike builder to sell bikes. He builds one off concept bikes to showcase “RSD” & “Performance Machine” parts. Occasionally someone like Ducati will come around and will commission Roland to come up with a concept bike. The business is all about marketing. Look at the custom car world for example. Look at all those companies spending crazy money on custom cars to showcase at SEMA. Its not because they are hoping to find someone to buy the car…they want to showcase the parts.

Crusher