A Request For Our Recovering American Soldiers

americansoldierA Recovering American Soldier:  “When doing your Holiday cards this year, take one card and send it to this address. If we pass this on and everyone sends one card, think of how many cards these wonderful special people who have sacrificed so much would get.

When you are making out your card list this year, please include the following: A Recovering American Soldier c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue, NW  Washington,D.C. 20307-5001. If you approve, please pass it on”  Harlan Schillinger (Hamsters USA)

17 Responses to “A Request For Our Recovering American Soldiers”

1. 1 Jeff Nicklus Nov 20th, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Harlen,

Count me in …. in fact we will send 100 cards!

Hope all is well with you my brother!

Over & Out,

Jeff

2. 2 fuji Nov 20th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Take the time the rewards will be for a life time.

3. 3 Brenda Fox Nov 20th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Right on Harlan!

We’ll spread the word on the Biker Lowdown Show along with my group of over 20K motorcyclist.
    Let get some full throttle good wishes rolling their way!

4. 4 Doug Cahn Nov 20th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Harlan,
    Wonderful thought!!! However I tried this last year we sent 1.000 cards and found that these heartfelt thoughtful cards to our heroes are undeliverable!!!!
    Check this link to snopes,

Once again politics get’s in the way of our love for our heroes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanx
    Doug

5. 5 Jeff Nicklus Nov 20th, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Doug,

That sucks! Wonder if there is a list of names of Vets in the hospital? More than likely not. We work with a group here in Houston known as the “National Memorial Ladies” (http://www.nationalmemorialladies.com/) who insure that no Vet, young or old, is ever buried alone. They also do a tremendous job of supporting our troops at the VA Hospitals here in South Texas ….. I will see if I can’t give them the Christmas cards so that the cards could be physically handed to each Vet. Sounds like a plan to me.

Over & Out,

Jeff

6. 6 Doug Cahn Nov 20th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Jeff,
    I am working in a similar direction here in SW Florida. There is a group here that sends care packages to the protectors of our freedom in Iraq and Afganistan, we work pretty closly with them and I will forward any useful info I get to Cyril and the blog. Last year we put together a ride and visited all the VA hospitals in the tricounty area. As a side note the various Viet Nam vets groups are always trying to do good deeds for all the vets that have followed them.

Have a Happy Thanxgiving
    We live in the USA, we still have alot to be thankful for!!! Although with this CHANGE S*^T I don’t know for how long?????
    Thanx
    Doug

7. 7 Boss Hawg Nov 20th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Gentlemen, with Cyril’s blessings, here is a link that works to send cards to the freedom fighters overseas at no charge. http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

Additionally, if you are feeling benevolent, as any True Red Blooded American should, please contact the USO and donate generously for they do provide top quality entertainment, telephone calls, etc… to our troops while away from home for their loved ones. http://www.uso.org/howtohelp/

God Bless,
    Boss Hawg

8. 8 Boss Hawg Nov 20th, 2009 at 7:28 pm

As a Vietnam Era Vet, the Red Cross is the most important that helped me when needed, too!

Please donate generously!

Boss Hawg

9. 9 John E Adams Nov 20th, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Some great links for well deserved support!

Thanks, Cyril, Harlan, Jeff and Boss. Being a retired 20 year guy and still working to support the worst situations on earth I know first hand the power of the simple gestures -;0)

Cheers,

John E. Adams

10. 10 36 Special @ Open Road Biker Nov 21st, 2009 at 12:08 am

The Red Cross and the USO are going to be the two best avenues to get things out to the troops this Holiday season unless you know someone who can hand deliver Christmas cards (someone on active duty, retired, or family member with someone at Walter Redd or any of the big military hospitals).

I think they stopped allowing shipments to “any Soldier” sometime before my last deployment in ’08 because we were briefed on it before we left. My first deployment it was open season for that kind of thing.

Hope my little bit of info helps.

11. 11 Boss Hawg Nov 21st, 2009 at 7:36 am

John E Adams,

Thank you….If more folks here showed there support and had lo-hangers like my buddy Jeff Nicklus & I, plus knew how to point and shoot….well just let me say that there would be a lot less issues here in the best damn country in the world…of course the United Staes of America!

I live a short distance up the road from you…St. Simons Island/Brunswick. We are riding down to the Turkey Rod Run early Saturday and then we are headed over to the Art of the Chopper Exhibit for the Sunday festivities and returning Monday.

I would like to see more of your photography and we should meet up at one of the two venues or at Renis Red Neck Yacht Club one day soon for say an adult beverage and shoot the shit.

Boss Hawg

12. 12 Bodyman Nov 21st, 2009 at 9:01 am

Not only will we send cards. We will actually go to Walter Reed to visit. I’am a member of the US MILITARY VETS motorcycles club. We are all veterans. We have gone to Walter Reed many times. So much that they won’t alow us to come anymore. So we got a big van and picked up the injured vets and brought them to our events. We’ve been doing this for several years. Some of the local vets still come to our events. We love them guys that’s what were all about. BODYMAN Pres. USMVMC Southern VA Chapter 2

13. 13 John E Adams Nov 21st, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Boss,

Thanks for the invite!

Renis Red Neck Yacht Club (on of the most amazing location in the south) is just down the road a few minutes from me, look forward to a meet out there sometime soon, drop an email. Am planning on shooting the Turkey Run but it will be a working trip – not much fun for anyone but myself with the cam, would love to make the Ocala AOC show, not sure yet – will let you now if it is a go.

Cheers!

John E Adams

14. 14 Rogue Nov 22nd, 2009 at 8:27 am

I have done this for the past 2 years only to have the cards returned to me saying the hospital was not allowing it.
    I did send a letter to my Senator and request he look into it and he assured me he would.
    I will send some cards again this year and hopefully they will get to a soldier.

15. 15 Jim C Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:36 am

Here is another link that explains how to send cards to our wounded where they will actually get the cards. Your thoughts and prayers mean alot to those guys who are spending their holidays in a hospital bed feeling alone and unwanted. Give them a cheer and a smile with something as simple as a note written on a card.

16. 16 A$$HOLE Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:00 pm

As a member of the Kansas Patriot Guard and the American Legion Riders we do a yearly event called “Christmas In A Box’ where we send care packages directly to our troops in the field. Last year we sent 20,000 lbs of supplies. I got with some friends and had their kids make me some hand made cards. I think I asked 6 people for their help. When it was all said and done, all of the kids had taken it to school, and by the end of it I had over 450 hand made Christmas cards, all cute as hell, and these were delivered with the supplies. I put in a flier with an email address, and before the end of the following summer I had received 30+ mails from different soldiers that had received the care packages and the cards, and they let me know how much these simple gestures meant to them. They all hung the cards up on a bulletin board so all could read them. Once we get to the point that the level of donations exceed out capability to ship, the extras are donated to the Wounded Warrior Program at Ft. Riely Kansas. The USO and Red Cross are Ok and all but if you want to do something that can be directly felt by troops in the field, then go to your local American Legion as they will very likely have members deployed, and you can work with their support mechanism to help directly. This will be much quicker and efficient. USO and the Red Cross are so large and there is so much red tape to get through.

1. 1 Christmas Cards for Soldiers « What's Hot with Bobber and Chopper Motorcycles Pingback on Nov 21st, 2009 at 11:29 am
Crusher