Erik Buell Starts His Own Racing Company

erilbuellThe news came yesterday via a press release sent by Harley-Davidson, Erik Buell, ex-Chairman and Chief Technical Officer of Buell Motorcycle Company, is launching Erik Buell Racing, an independent motorcycle race shop. The info was released by Harley-Davidson because the Milwaukee company is going to assist Erik in establishing this new business. Erik Buell Racing will specialize in the supply of race-use-only Buell motorcycle parts and race preparation services for engines and motorcycles, and the building and sale of Buell® 1125R-based race-use-only motorcycles under license from Harley-Davidson, as well as providing technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles. You know the saying “Win on Sunday, sell on Monday”. So my question is, is it possible that if Erik Buell is successful with his racing endeavors he gets tempted later to produce and sell a limited production of street legal racing bikes? Erik Buell Racing will be based in East Troy, Wisconsin. Erik Buell Racing (Website in construction).

40 Responses to “Erik Buell Starts His Own Racing Company”

1. 1 rockstar Nov 21st, 2009 at 9:35 am

with out the HD bucks, where will Erik find the cash to pay off DMG?

2. 2 Dave Blevins Nov 21st, 2009 at 10:25 am

Glad for Erik.

3. 3 fuji Nov 21st, 2009 at 11:33 am

So what became of all those [ fake ] tears. and that curled upper lip.
    This was all put together in how many days.

4. 4 Woody Nov 21st, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Back to the future. I wonder if the sanctioning bodies will also assist the new company by letting his bikes compete against 600cc machines?

5. 5 4Cammer Nov 22nd, 2009 at 1:51 am

This will be interesting to watch, and just more fodder for the haters. Hope you do well with EBR Erik. Thanks again for the best bike I have ever had!

6. 6 BikerMarc Nov 22nd, 2009 at 8:27 am

Sorry to hear Erik will continue to be bound by HD leadership and vision. There’s
    so much more he could do and deliver without the corporate-type
    Inertia. This said, all the best nonetheless Eric.

BikerMarc

7. 7 Woody Nov 22nd, 2009 at 9:12 am

I’m not a hater if that’s what it sounded like, just smirking a little at the full circle. I doubt if H-D will have any leash of sorts on him. When he first “broke away” from H-D he had unprecedented access to to R&D, parts, etc. and should this time also. Probably a good way to get him off the payroll and still get PR from any Harley-based Buell that does well on the track without the financial hassles of actually selling them.

8. 8 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 am

Things evolve after many initial announcements. Upon meeting Erik after the 1125 came out there was no doubt that he is extemely passionate about his bikes especially the 1125. He had been working on its design for 19 yrs and Harley finally gave him the green light to build it. If it had came out 19 yrs ago many would have said WOW. Erik isn’t going to let his bike slide into the history books without every possible effort to keep it going in some form. Good on you mate.

9. 9 fuji Nov 22nd, 2009 at 2:54 pm

4Cammer

If you want to support the Buell endeavor so it be but first one needs to take the blinders off unless you favor lopsided advantages.

Before we go any further let me clarify that never have I said or indicated that the Buell 1125 is a poorly designed bike and never stated that it was the best. I will say that the 1125 is the best of all Buell’s.

Also I haven’t read any hater fodder just people expressing their opinions.

If the Buell is the best bike that you have ever had that is not for me to question but the question is if and when you own other bikes, what will be the best bike that you have ever owned. only age and time will tell. I could put a list of bikes in front of you that would rise above your favorite and there is a difference between the best bike and what one calls their favorite.

If there is any kind of a parity between the mix of bikes that are in the 600 cc class [ 600 versus others ] then personally explain it to me. Unless you favor competition in this manner.

If Eric is a true competitor and a stand up guy then he would with draw the Buell 1125cc bikes out of the 600cc class. DMG conveniently arranged the rules to favor the larger cc engines in the 600 cc class. kind of Nascar- esc just to create crowd interest regardless of the patrons knowledge of the sport. Its all about dollars and unknowing spectators or the hope of gaining more spectators. If you favor the current sport bike rules then I question your knowledge of the sport but then again if you are a Nascar kind of guy you may like all of this fodder!

If one were to observe any of the races especially early on in the 2009 season Plain and simple one would have noticed that the 600 riders had to ride over their heads to stay in touch with the Buell. and how convenient it was for the Buell to overtake the majority of bikes at will on straightaways.

10. 10 J Nov 22nd, 2009 at 5:23 pm

So…. Pretty much what he was doing BEFORE the HD odyssey, ya?

Good for him.

11. 11 tepiddeath Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Ya’ know, it’s just my opinion, but if I were in a situation like Erik Buell, it would feel like a real slap in the face for Harley to as him to join back up with them after they see him doing well on his own. I really lost a lot of respect for the Harley Davidson company because of the way that they had no problem cutting loose the entire Buell line, when times are tight, when they should have become more creative and aggressive with their marketing, and if any bikes should have gone it should have been the v-rod line, those don’t sell at all. And the company wouldn’t be in this position in the first place had they not pushed and later forced the dealers to build the big ass super-showrooms. If Harley Davidson would have stuck to their founding principles and had some integrity about them instead of allowing themselves to become enslaved by money and greed, then we would not even be having this conversation right now!!!! And that goes for a lot of other businesses in this country, that’s why our financial status, as a nation, is the way it is right now!

Oh yeah, and I almost fell out of my chair with laughter after reading that very first ad! Are the corporate big wigs over there so f-ing stupid, wait, what am I saying, they did just shut down Buell. Which I guess means that ad is about par for the course.

As for this letter from Jim Ziemer, how in the f*ck exactly does Harley plan on coming up with new designs to cater to the younger crowd? They got rid of their best hope of that when they shut down the Buell line. For christ’s sakes, all they have to do to save the company is drop the price and put people in the stores that actually care about the customers- STOP HIRING AND OL’ DOUCHE NOSEL WHO WALKS IN THE DOOR!

SCREW HD! LET’S RIDE!

Go on with your bad self Erik, I’m with you, and I love my Buell-best bike i have ever owned!

12. 12 Dale Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:32 am

The best of luck to you Erik

13. 13 Jeff Nicklus Nov 23rd, 2009 at 10:30 am

tepiddeath,

Dude, do you believe for a minute that this wasn’t agreed upon before the initial Press Release was issued, from all concerned, that HD was cutting Buell lose? This is just the second installment of the initial Press Release ….. stay tuned for more!

Over & Out,

Jeff

14. 14 Mike Corbin Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

You`ve got fans, Erik !

15. 15 Darin Maltsberger-Instructor@MTI Nov 23rd, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I am glad to see Erik continuing his legacy and production of the 1125R. I hope somewhere down the road we see a limited production street legal machine. No matter how you slice it, I’m still a fan. I also want to say that I am glad to see H-Ds’ blessing on this move. I was pleasantly surprised. Stay at it Eric! The magic is yours.

-Darin

16. 16 tepiddeath Nov 23rd, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Jeff- why do you just assume that I am a dude? And why is the motorcycle society -AS A WHOLE- so f-ing sexist? I am a woman, I ride a Buell, I sell aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson motorcycles, I do my own service and on my old man’s FLHX as well. Open your minds America- the time is now to start doing things differently because what we are doing right now isn’t working!

17. 17 jatinder pal Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:12 am

Back to basics….good luck.

18. 18 Jeff Nicklus Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:51 am

tepiddeath,

Sorry, Dudette! Now get over yourself and go do something constructive such as read your latest issue from Gloria Steinem or burn a bra. LOL

Over & Out,

Jeff

19. 19 just my opinion Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Jeff; I see you have found another fan. LOL

20. 20 Jeff Nicklus Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:24 pm

JMO,

On occasion I even amaze myself had little effort I have to exert to increase my fan base. Sometimes I even feel it is unfair to others …. then I think about it and I figure …screw em’ some of us have it and some don’t. Damn I am ready for another vacation!

Over & Out,

Jeff

21. 21 Jeff Nicklus Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

JMO,

That should read … “at what little effort…”

Where is the Scotch?

Over & Out,

Jeff

22. 22 fuji Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Jeff
    By the way that was not my sister for she still admires you. Why I don’t know but she has always had good taste after all I’am her brother. You do like Oriental chics ?

23. 23 fuji Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

jeff
    By the way my sister loves bike as you know but she reminded me to let you know that she can’t change your oil but she knows how to check it. Thats not sexist is it?

24. 24 Jeff Nicklus Nov 24th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

fuji,

I do love a good oriental buffet! Now that is sexist!

Over & Out,

Jeff

25. 25 just my opinion Nov 24th, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Jeff; Don’t lose any sleep over that chick. What does she know anyway, she bought a Buell.LOL

26. 26 fuji Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

JUST IN TIME !

One of my favorite motorcycle related writers for many years Kevin Cameron just wrote another article about Buell and racing.

For those that have an interest in Buell this is a must read in Cycle Worlds January 2010 issue.

27. 27 nicker Nov 24th, 2009 at 10:39 pm

tepid–

RE:
    “… why do you just assume that I am a dude?…”

Say what….. (tepiddeath)???
    Why should any of us have assume otherwise….

RE:
    “… Open your minds America- the time is now to start doing things differently …”

Look, you want “change,” go talk to Obama.
    Doubt any one cares who’s oil your changing.

You want PC correct, gender sensitivity dialog….. look some place else.

Don’t much cares if you stand or squat to pee.
    If ya want equality…… all ya gotta do is earn it.

-nicker-

28. 28 tepiddeath Nov 25th, 2009 at 12:28 am

WOW!! What a sensitive bunch we have in here! It is f-ing hilarious how easy it is to get a rise out of you all! I was merely pointing out the fact that women do ride, and maybe before just assuming that someone is a dude, think about the possibility. I am not trying to change anyone, I know I can only change myself. As far as burning bras, I will not be doing any of that anytime soon because I need all the padding I can get! I am all for strongly opinionated people, and I love to play devil’s advocate in conversations, and the last thing I am looking for is Politically Correct! And don’t even get me started on Obama…

29. 29 just my opinion Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Jeff; she is right, there is a lot of lesbians riding now a days and 1 or 2 straight chicks too. so before you call some one dude you should think twice. LMFAO

30. 30 Jeff Nicklus Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

JMO,

I am sorry Senator I have no knowledge of what Mr. JMO is referring to with his lesbo comments! Plausible deniability is the position I am taking on this subject! This isn’t going to be pretty when the ladies out there get on this one. Oh man, this is going to leave a mark! It has been a pleasure knowing you JMO!

Someone else in the hot seat …. I love it!

Over & Out,

Jeff

31. 31 just my opinion Nov 25th, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Jeff; There you go again. I did not say that this lady was a lesbian. Just because she changes oil and wrenches on her life partners bike does not mean anything. Shame on you for thinking she is something she is obviously not.

Your Honor I would like to plead Insanity because I am crazy about messing with people and I just cannot control myself sometimes. It is a sickness and I will be going to rehab soon. Now were is that scotch? LOL

32. 32 Jeff Nicklus Nov 25th, 2009 at 6:20 pm

JMO,

That is good, very good …. the question is is it good enough? An Insanity plea is your only hope now!

I have the Dewars in hand now!

Over & Out,

Jeff

33. 33 nicker Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:29 am

tepid–

Having had to listen to PC complaint in the work-place (from 1989) for 16 years
    one gets real good at detecting (for want of a better term) “empowerment agendas.”

So, when ya say: “…last thing I am looking for is Politically Correct!…”

That doesn’t square with your taking exception to Jeff’s statement.

Must-a missed your point, exactly why were you taking exception to …… “Dude”…….???

-nicker-
    veteran of mandatory “Diversity In The Workplace” indoctrination…….. 🙂

34. 34 tepiddeath Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:40 am

I was merely thinking how arrogant it is to assume that every person who rides a motorcycle is a dude, that’s all. I am definitely not into PC and I am not trying to change anyone, just making an observation. Didn’t think it would be this big of a deal, but to be quite honest I find it hilarious that a complete stranger would get so worked up over it.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

SCREW HD. LET’S RIDE!

35. 35 Jeff Nicklus Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

tepiddeath,

You do realize that everyone is just screwing with you right? We are a brutal bunch that loves red meat!

Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Over & Out,

Jeff

36. 36 Jeff Nicklus Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

tepiddeath,

Almost forgot …… Have a Great Thanksgiving DUDE!

Over & Out,

Jeff

37. 37 tepiddeath Nov 26th, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I know you all are screwing with me, and I am rather enjoying screwing with you. It is amusing to get a rise out of you guys! You remind me a lot of the customers at the shop I work at. I go through this sort of stuff on a daily basis! It’s part of why i love my job so much

38. 38 Skeptic Nov 28th, 2009 at 12:53 am

Erik Buell has always dreamed about building race bikes, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that a man with a pile of money has negotiated a way to keep alive his dream / hobby of building race bikes. There are a LOT of Buell street bike owners who are engaging in a lot of wishful thinking about Erik Buell Racing offering them some hope of the perpetuation of the now defunct brand of motorcycle that they own. Its a good example of denial as a defense mechanism. Buell owners don’t want to admit that the brand is as dead as a doornail. What they need to understand is that although Erik Buell has always been exceptionally passionate about building race bikes, he has never actually cared about production street bikes. Its something that he had to do to fund the racing projects, that’s all. Stop hoping for the phoenix to rise from the ashes — Buell streetbikes are history. They’re never coming back. Harley doesn’t care about them and Erik Buell doesn’t even care about them. He just wants to build bikes for the racers. Street bike customers aren’t even important to him.

1. 1 Tweets that mention Erik Buell Starts His Own Racing Company at Cyril Huze Blog -- Topsy.com Pingback on Nov 22nd, 2009 at 4:52 am
  2. 2 uberVU - social comments Trackback on Nov 22nd, 2009 at 7:54 am