miylerIn August 2008 Mid-West Choppers owner Chip Miyler of Illinois was accused by about 40 customers, including non US clients based in New Zealand, to have received a total of US $1.2 million of down payments for custom bikes that were never built before the company went bankrupt in October 2005. Chip Miyler and his wife also filed for personal bankruptcy at the same time. Chip Miyler was also accused of applying for a bank loan offering as collateral motorcycles already sold to customers. Instead of going to trial where he would have faced 30 years in jail for each count of indictment, in May 28, 09 Chip Miyler pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Peoria to a single count of mail fraud. Today was federal court sentencing for Chip Miyler, now 41 years old. U.S. District Judge Joe B. McDade ordered Miyler to repay slightly more than $1 million in restitution to the victims and just shy of 3 1/2 years in prison for fraud charges.

24 Responses to “Breaking News. Former Mid-West Choppers Owner Chip Miyler To spend 3 1/2 Years In Prison”

1. 1 jeff & robbie Jan 22nd, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Crook!

2. 2 Jeez Jan 22nd, 2010 at 8:02 pm

He deserves more time in jail. How the victims are going to be paid if Chip Miyler is protected by personal bankruptcy?

3. 3 john Jan 23rd, 2010 at 12:25 am

Piece of shit

4. 4 Prison Biotch Jan 23rd, 2010 at 12:59 am

Now he cant teach his new room mate all his “master builder” skills……… His new friend might teach Chip a few skills of his own……….

5. 5 Manhattan Choppers Jan 23rd, 2010 at 1:53 am

oops

6. 6 Todd8080 Jan 23rd, 2010 at 6:10 am
  7. 7 heavy metal Jan 23rd, 2010 at 6:46 am

I remember those glossy magazine ads for the “Master Builder”. He can join Choppers Unlimited in the cockroach catagory. Sad that trusting people won’t see a penny of their money, ever.

8. 8 Freedomlaw Jan 23rd, 2010 at 8:49 am

I think the guy deserves the jail time, though I think 3 and a half years is about right. But, but, but … I am always amazed at how much money people pay on contracts with no protection. Ever heard of “escrow” accounts?

9. 9 Bigalyts Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:56 am

How many People do you think He screwed for Bike that were promised to be built? When do you know that he promised the Bikes to the Customers and He knew that He was taking the deposits and not going to Build any of the Bikes? Just Wondering!!

10. 10 Jeffrey Jan 23rd, 2010 at 11:14 am

A lot of shops have played this game on a smaller scale to finance their cash flow. Pushed by the ego of being a custom builder, building bikes paid with other client’s deposits.

11. 11 MDSPHOTO Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:40 am

Chip is the only one that I know of that has actually been convicted of this crap. Mike Davis and Mark Evans of Pitbull Motorsports in Orlando ripped me off for $15K, took my deposit never delivered a bike and then shut down. I was lucky, I met a couple that lost $42K dealing with Pitbull. The bad thing is these jokers are still building motorcycles just under different shop names. There needs to be better laws that protect consumers from aholes like these.

12. 12 Boss Hawg Jan 24th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

MDSPHOTO,

This would piss me off, too….Contact the Dept. of Professional Regulation in Flordia and ask them for direction. If what you say was done and you have verifiable proof, contact the Orange County Attorney General’s office, Florida State Attorney General’s office and most importantly the FDLE http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/4b2e646d-9037-44f2-9885-4d8d9e5d07b0/Regional-Contacts.aspx and the FBI . Inquire about the RICCO Act http://www.ricoact.com/ ….If PitBull did this over more than any 12 consecutive months the owners could be looking at a minimum of 20 years in the fed-pen…plus more time they mailed, faxed or spoke on the phone with you…known as wire & mail fraud.

Additionally, I would contact these folks http://www.ripoffreport.com/motorcycles/pitbull-motorcycles/pitbull-motorcycles-pitbull-m-p58m3.htm and follow their of action alomng with the above suggestions and you will get action.

Boss Hawg

13. 13 Little Joe Jan 24th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Looks like Chip is gonna be somebody’s shower date for 3-1/2 years.

14. 14 Bart Langley Cateye Customs Jan 25th, 2010 at 10:26 am

Couldn’t have happen to a nicer guy……what a fucking tool! Wanna be pretender……It’s pricks like this that started the custom market in a downward spiral. Karma is a bitch Chip…..let’s see you sit around in jail burning $20 bills just to show all your new roomies how rich you are.

15. 15 ger Jan 25th, 2010 at 4:52 pm

you know that if this happened in ireland
    the guy might get a slap on the wrist
    and get six months suspended sentance
    the justice system is in favour of the crooks over here
    at least he got some time to do
    hope the customers can get some money back

16. 16 JP@MyEvilTwinChoppers Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I’ll bet more people go “missing” in Ireland….
    3 1/2 years is way too long. 3 1/2 days with the people he ripped off should just about do it….

17. 17 MDSPHOTO Jan 26th, 2010 at 9:41 am

Boss Hawg,

I have plenty of proof, no bike, a signed contract from Pitbull, a cashed check for $15K and $7K worth of lawyers fees! I looked to every outlet you mentioned and many others to get my money back from Pitbull, as mentioned previously, the law protects these jokers. I sued them in court and won, but winning a lawsuit and collecting are two totally different things.

18. 18 Jeff Nicklus Jan 26th, 2010 at 11:06 am

Chip Miyler is not the only builder in this industry who has fucked the public by taking a deposit on a bike and never delivering the product. In my opinion every one of these worthless bastards should be in jail! No plea bargains, no special treatment or sentencing ….. in jail with a maximum sentence only. In my opinion they are no better than a Bernie Madoff. It is people like the Chip Miyler’s of the world who have had a major influence in fucking those of us in this industry who actually honor a client’s deposits. These alleged “bike builders” who continue to screw the public, and you know who you are, should all be beat with baseball bats behind the building! A Louisville Slugger would work wonders on your ass!

One more thing ….. Boss is correct …. If you have been hosed by a builder who has stolen your “Trust Fund Moneys” please do not hesitate to contact the Attorney General’s Office in the state where the deposit was paid to the builder …. Further, if you mailed the funds to the builder, via the US Postal Service or FEDEX etc., now the matter becomes a Federal crime, it is called Mail Fraud. Don’t sit on you butts and Boo Hoo, make these bastards pay for their crimes!

See what happens when I don’t have my coffee in the morning!

Over & Out,

Jeff

19. 19 Tonya H. May 21st, 2010 at 8:19 am

MdsPhoto… Hi!!!! It’s been a long time! I see you’ve had no luck collecting from the dirtbag either.

Boss Hawg- I am the person who lost $42k to Mike Davis of Pitbull Motorcycles. I have already tried each and every suggestion you mentioned with no luck. They all say the same thing. “It’s a civil matter. Sue him.”

We DID sue him and won a judgement. However, we will never collect because the jerk has numerous judgements against him, which were ahead of ours. He is a dirtbag, plain and simple.

His cell phone is now disconnected. :/

I used to spend HOURS on this case and my mind never stopped. I’ve taken a break over the past few months but reading this thread has got my feathers ruffled again. Time for me to pursue this dirtbag again.

Tonya

20. 20 SONNY GOLD Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

NOTE; CHIPS WIFE SHOULD BE GOING IN RIGHT BEHIND HIM.SHE HAD HER HANDS IN THE MESS JUST AS DEEP AS HE DID. ALOT OF PEOPLE DID NOT KNOW THAT.SHE IS JUST AS FULL OF CRAP AS HE IS.(OJ)

21. 21 Justin Facts Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Sonny or OJ is correct and in fact it is always easy to just point at one person. Chrissy, Chips EX Wife, was actually the one who signed almost all the checks along with a few other individuals who where “managing” the business and knew everything that was happening. Amazingly Doug Niles breaks away, with others, to start his “own” bike building which went no where. Now before you throw me under the bus I believe that Chip was wrong in what he did but he did not set out to “de-fraud” anyone. He was a terrible businessman and his “wife” and ‘friends” that surrounded him had no problem reaping all the benefits yet not one of them stepped to the plate and took any accountability in what happened. But each one of them lined up to talk with the FBI and local authorities to keep themselves out of trouble, we all need friends like that! Chip loved to build bikes and in fact did an amazing job but had no idea on how to run a business and got caught up in the “game” yet this does not dismiss him from his accountability. For those of you out there the FBI turned Chips life inside out because surly he was “hiding” all this money somewhere right? Isn’t that what everyone said? After a complete investigation by the FBI, every single dollar was accounted for and their conclusion was he didn’t know how to run a business and did not appropriately fund the business as he should of. There was no money in any offshore accounts or hidden away somewhere but money was used to purchase items that it should not of been used to do. All I am saying is that before you going wanting to burn him at the stake, he was a corporation, what about the corporate officers? What about the others? Why where they not brought up on charges, I’ve seen this movie before. Let’s cut a deal with the DA and FBI so I don’t go to jail too. Before you want to crucify me, Chip was wrong and is paying for what he did but in my “knowing” of what happened, he is not the only one that needs to be in jail.

22. 22 Trop Chop May 21st, 2011 at 12:55 pm

From what I heard from the FBI, I may have received the last bike Chip actually delivered (Trop Chop) even though it took weeks of threats and “promises” after he took my $42,000. Unfortunately, there are far too many people out there like Chip. Buyer Beware. It was almost an expensive lesson

23. 23 dick Jul 25th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Chip has been out of club fed for 3 months. Lives. Tx

24. 24 Sean Sep 22nd, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Tonya H. May 21st, 2010 at 8:19 am

His cell phone is now disconnected. :/

Tonya

Don’t give up Tonya. The low life has surfaced and works at Grubb and Ellis, Orlando and has a house in Maitland. He also is a silent partner in some pretty shady activities. Before the feds grab him, get your money. He enjoyed spending it.