Radical Flyin’ Trike

flyingtrike1flyingtrike2flyingtrike3Sure to turn everyone’s head, this Flyin’ trike built by Art In Motion is a good representation of 3-wheel Zen design. It was built in 09,and to arrive to this naked look, shop owner Tom Knapp conceived the frame on CAD and asked Rolling Thunder Manufacturing frame experts to produce it as a Softail with a 6 inch stretch in the arched backbone and a 38-degree rake. For takeoff, this trike uses a 96″ S&S engine (with Diamond Cut jugs by Diamond Heads), and shifts on a 5-speed transmission (equipped with reverse) and rolls  on 2 Dayton Knock Off  100 radial spoke wheels size 18 x 10″ in the rear and a front American Wire wheel size 21 x 2.5 supported by a V-Twin Phaat front end. Gas tank placed behind the seat is from Moon and offers a 5-gallon reserve of fuel. This trike was at the World Championship of Bike Building in Sturgis, and scored very honorably, ranking higher than many cool 2-wheelers built by very reputable custom builders. Art In Motion. (pictures HRF)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

7 Responses to “Radical Flyin’ Trike”

1. 1 Dale Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:40 am

The Flying Trike is a beautiful machine, so different than most in every way, this bike catches your eye moving or standing still.
    Congrats Tom and Christine on a nice piece of work.

2. 2 rough rider Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:53 am

I don’t know if I would call this RADICAL, but to each his own. The frame with a 6″ stretch looks unsafe if you ask me, you put a 6″ stretch in any bike, wouldn’t you think there would be some kind of gussett at the neck where the back bone and the down tube come together, and the seat, good for 50 miles tops,common, this trike wana be is far from RADICAL.but I’m sure if you keep at it you’ll get much better building trikes.

3. 3 Irish Rose Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I have to go with rough rider. That is far from WOW.

4. 4 jatinder pal Jan 26th, 2010 at 9:44 am

Awesome piece of machinery…very good work.totally different from the trikes we use to see.

5. 5 Engineer Jan 27th, 2010 at 11:10 am

To Rough Rider and Irish Rose,

I am the Designer and Builder of the flyin’ trike, I am always open to suggestions from builders that have award winning bikes with constructive comments.
    Could you please send some pictures of your award winning bikes or trikes that you have built showing me the design tips that you are stating in your comments on this blog.
    I would appreciate telling me the awards that the bikes you send me pictures of won.
    Thanks, Tom

6. 6 rough rider Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Tom, The Engineer
    I already gave you some good advice, it needs to be a gussett in the neck of that frame with a stretch of 6″ . Sounds like tommy boy got his feelings hurt, sorry I call them as I see them, and there is nothing radical about your trike, I’ve seen it upclose and personal, sorry not radical to me,radical consists of FABRICATION, making your own parts, aside from a frame, and there is nothing on your trike besides the frame that looks like a one off part, everything is an store bought item and bolted on, and tell me that seat is comfortable, yea right, another add on from Crime scene choppers, or some other catalog. but if you want to see some radical TRIKES check out Santiago Chopper and some of the trikes he has built now that’s RADICAL, and he has lots of awards, and not only from your local bike nights, and has been in every mag. from the USA to Europe. Oh yea and if i’m not mistaken seems to me this trike has been around lot longer than 2009 and it was built for your wife………………now she’s Radical, see ya at the build off this week end
    nuff said

1. 1 The Flyin’ Trike: Engineered to be simple ‘freakin’ awesome’! | The Luxury Hub Pingback on Feb 12th, 2010 at 3:43 am