World’s Most Powerful Production Motorcycle

vyrus1vyrus2cyrilhuzevyrus3You are looking at the latest very exclusive motorcycle released by small manufacturer Vyrus from Rimini, Italy. Named the 987 C3 4V this very light weight bike (only 339 pounds) is able to produce 211 hp from its Ducati-sourced 1198cc V-twin engine, boosted by the presence of a supercharger and proudly carries the title of the Most Powerful Production Motorcycle in the World.

And since you probably never heard about Vyrus, a little bit of background to explain this bike. Vyrus is a company which used to work alongside Bimota for the development of the revolutionary “Tesi” motorcycle using a hub-center steering front suspension arrangement. Vyrus split from Bimota and completed the first evolution of the Tesi’s development, marketing the bike under their own name. Headed by Ascanio Rodorigo (who worked closely with famous bike designer Massimo Tamburini) all company engineers are experienced in high-class motorcycles, almost all of them having worked for Bimota or Ducati. Among many other details, ay attention at how the front of the bike is held together… The base version starts at $70,000 with the supercharged edition above $100,000. I told you. Ultra-exclusive. Vyrus Motorcycles.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

36 Responses to “World’s Most Powerful Production Motorcycle”

1. 1 Dennis Johnson Feb 8th, 2010 at 10:25 am

Correction: This is NOT the worlds most powerful motorcycle. It may be the most powerful V-Twin, however it does not come close to any Boss Hoss or other production V-8 motorcycle. Boss Hoss has made production motorcycles for nearly 20 years, they are DOT, EPA and CARB and European compliant, and are listed in all price guides as production motorcycles. The Vyrus pictured is certainly not DOT compliant (no legal turn signals, slick tires, etc.) and I suspect not EPA or CARB compliant either. From past postings I know you are biased against V-8 motorcycles, however they are every bit as much a motorcycle as your beloved V-Twins, and considerably more powerful.

2. 2 hoyt Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:19 am

This will turn into an argument that will never end depending on one’s perspective…

the Boss Hoss uses a car engine, not a purpose-built motorcycle engine. Using your logic, I suspect the turbine bike from Louisiana (which uses a helicopter turbine) would beat your beloved v8

racing slicks and lighting? not difficult to adjust.

3. 3 gabehcuoD Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

First: This bike is pretty cool ! Looks like its a race only bike, but not a GP bike and cant be raced over here in AMA? So what is this a really cool for fun track bike ? Lots of work in it for sure. I would hate to have to replace a valve seat or anything in the motor. Being a ‘race bike’ with 200+ HP im user its high strung and you will need replacement parts… That’s more than working on the bike after work job..

Second, Hoyt: I’m with you… the people who think the boss hoss bike is the biggest & badest are nothing more than my ‘posting name’.. I guess I could build a bike with a NHRA Top Fuel motor with 8000 HP and walk around a say,,, hey my bike has the most power… LAME To use a good quote from Rahm “Dead Fish” Emanuel…. that’s just F’ing Retarded.
    With all due respect to the owners of these “machines”.. That’s OK if you think your all big billy bad ass. We just bust out laughing at those people…..

Much props to the people that use there brains for the ‘most HP’… John Britten, Michael Czysz, Burt Monroe, Etc

4. 4 Dennis Johnson Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

For the record I don’t ride a Boss Hoss (or particularly like them), I’m just trying to be accurate. I do fly helicopters and know the Allison engine used by MTT in the Y2K bike puts out 320 HP and 425 ft. lbs. torque, more than the Vyrus but less than some Boss Hoss models. There seems to exist an unreasonable closed mindedness among the V-Twin aficionados that if a motorcycle doesn’t have a V-Twin engine it is not a “real” motorcycle.

5. 5 Bigalyts Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

This Bike is no more a Production Motorcycle then the Race Bikes used in Daytona and may other Tracks in the Country, built by Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and etc. Those Bikes were developed as this Bike was, and can be duplicated easier then the Vyrus. They don’t need Turbo’s and they are making that kind of Horse Power or pretty close. The Price on those Competition Bikes are Probably $100,000 Plus, but the next Bike that they Modeled the Race Bike after would be less then $20,000.

6. 6 4Cammer Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Check out that radiator placement. Watch out for rocks.

Hell of an engineering excercise though.

7. 7 Marshall10 Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Possibly best power to weight ratio is what is meant by most powerful.

8. 8 J Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Thanks for the background- I had seen this Vyrus name floating around a bit, but had never heard of them before 2010;

Always liked the Tesi- is the supercharger on there somewhere, or is this the unblown bike?

9. 9 Fluke Feb 8th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

FYI,

The bike is a production bike, is street legal and Euro 3 ( way harder than US 50 state legal) compliant, just Cyril posted a pic of the non street legal version to confuse you’all.

Vyrus have been building this bike, or a version of it, since 2005 or 6 BTW.

10. 10 Jim Gianatsis Feb 8th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

The Vyrus can turn corners and stop, something I rather doubt a Boss Hoss can do very well.

I’d like to photos of the the supercharged Vyrus bike and how they set up the blower system….

Seeing how the Ducati Corse World Superbike 1198R/Fs weigh 370lb.s dry, I really don’t think the Vyrus can use the same engine and get down to 333 lbs. Especially if the heavier supercharger is installed.

The 210 hp rating for the supercharged Vyrus using the 1198 Duc engine is pretty mild, since the box stock street production 1198R with it’s included race exhaust installed puts out 200hp. The production homologated World Superbike Ducati 1198R race bikes with kit cams and higher compression pistons are putting out 220-225hp as are the other factory superbikes from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Aprila, Kawasaki, BMW. The factory Ducati 1198R is actually detuned by SBK with intake restrictors to keep their larger displacement torque/power equal to the 1000cc in-line 4 cylinder bikes.

So technically according to the FIM these WSBK bikes are all more powerful “production” bikes than the 210hp Veyrus which is probably hand built to order. FIM production regulations requires 500 examples being built.

Still, the Vyrus is an awesome collector’s bike and comparable to a Bimota which also uses the Ducati 1198 Superbike engine.

11. 11 hoyt Feb 8th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

The 333 lbs. is possible since the chassis weight is low when using something alternative to a telescopic front-end.

The aluminum side-sections are minimal. The upper portion of the chassis (which cleverly doubles as an airbox in the crux of the cylinders) is all carbon fiber. The tank, tail, exhaust cans, & wheels are also cf. That leaves a light weight engine, swingarms, rads., and springs to make up the bulk of 300 pounds.

Dennis – it is not close mindedness.

only makes sense to compare bikes with a Motorcycle engine-to-motorcycle engine.

12. 12 Jim Gianatsis Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I just did a little Goole.com researching on the new Veyrus and found at:

The non supercharged 155kg (233lbs) Vyrus 987 C3 V4 uses Ducati base 1098/S engine (170hp) bumped to 183 hp with a tuned exhaust installed . Their claimed weight of 133lbs is plaseable as the Veyrus eliminates the Ducati’s steel tube frame and attaches the suspension and body work to plates on the engine, and the fuel tank and bodywork is carbon fibre. I do not see this street model with lights, running a Catalytic converter or baffled mufflers, so it is not Euro3 or US legal as photographed. Adding that street legal stuff would increase weight about 20 pounds.

The supercharged 210hp Vyrus 987 C3 V4 is claimed to weigh just 3 kilos more at 136k/347lbs.

Please note that Ducati has been running their V-4 MotoGP bike for 2 years without a frame, the suspension and bodywork attached to the engine. So Ducati’s next production superbike could very well be frameless and significantly lighter like the Vyrus.

13. 13 Woody Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

So if this bike’s engine was put in a log-splitter, it wouldn’t really be a log-splitter any more? I don’t have a Boss either, but it does seem unfair to always exclude them when taking about production bikes and horsepower.

14. 14 Fluke Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Add the street legal stuff? the dry weight mentioned is for the street legal euro 3 compliant version. just the pic is of something else Cyril posted to stir everyone up, probably, maybe, it worked charm anyway.

But sorry, the Boss Hoss and this bike are as related as chalk and cheese. I live on one of the best motorcycle roads in Europe, 500 to 1000 bikes plus come past every weekend in the season, non are 1500lb V8′s. Any rider of said bike would be dead or sat in a field waiting for a recovery crane to pick the bike up way before they got to my house.

15. 15 Jim Gianatsis Feb 8th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

You could also put into a Boss Hoss a blown AA fuel dragster engine making 15,000 horsepower….
    Is it still a motorcycle? It has 2 wheels, but so does a U2 spy plane on takeoff and landing.

I think for this arguement we should define a motorcycle as a vehicle with an engine designed for production motorcycle use. And in this case the Boss Hoss is not included. :)

16. 16 nicker Feb 8th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Jim,

RE:
    “…I think for this argument we should define a motorcycle as a vehicle with an engine designed for production motorcycle use. And in this case the Boss Hoss is not included…”

Your saying the early MC manufacturers were no building motorcycles?
    (eg, Honda used generator motor………. etc.)

Not all Scooters are built to accomplish the same task.
    The way i figure it, if it’ s got two wheels, ya can sit on it and drive it to the store, it’s a MC.

The notion that is isn’t a motorcycle if it is powered by a motor not “intended” for a MC is… how can i say this politely…….?
    Oh ya………is incongruent.

(see, i didn’t say stupid….. :-)
    -nicker-

17. 17 vince Feb 8th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

The Boss Hoss is a production motorcycle. Boss Hoss has been in production for over a decade. Boss Hoss is and has been certified in most states and many countries.

Boss Hoss is not a “mainstream” motorcycle

Boss Hoss has much more horsepower than the Vyrus.

So most powerfull motorcycle should go to Boss Hoss (or V-8 Choppers or Sabertooth)

18. 18 DAVE Feb 8th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Hmm – ridden a Boss Hoss. Lots of power, no question. A motorcycle? More or less. This is a bit of a silly argument. I do lean toward those that say the bike – the whole bike, should be designed to be a motorcycle. I also see the power to weight argument and I suspect this “Vyrus” would run circles around a Boss Hoss.

19. 19 Lyle Feb 8th, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Why would anyone want a Boss Hoss? Are you riding a motorcycle or pulling a boat? You can’t tell me they handle, stop, or ride as well as a modern well designed motorcycle. But to each their own I guess….I guess the guys on the other end of the MC spectrum buy the bike featured in this topic.

20. 20 sollis Feb 8th, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Bitchin !!

21. 21 nicker Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Look,
    There are as many different reasons to build a motorcycle as there are motorcycles and builders

Comparing the capabilities of the Boss to the Virus no more resolves “what is a motorcycle” than comparing a Super Moto to a Trials bike.

More to the point would be to ask if a scooter meets it’s builder’s target concept.
    Not all builds achieve their targeted goal, and fewer still cop to missing their goal…… :-)

Seems to me the Boss is an exercise in “Excess”, no more, no less….. Bingo!
    (don’t think the Virus is trying for the same niche, do you……..???)

-nicker-

22. 22 nicker Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:44 am

Look,

Seems to me the Boss is an exercise in “Excess”, no more, no less….. Bingo!
    (don’t think the Virus is trying for the same niche, do you……..???)

-nicker-

By the way, awesome work. Waiting for the next one!

23. 23 Marshall10 Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:11 am

Look, it’s the power to weight ratio. How much does a boss hoss weigh? Arguement done. It doesn’t matter if you have a motorcycle that makes 400 bhp if it weighs 1000 lbs…

24. 24 Zed Feb 9th, 2010 at 3:07 am

Those that want to vaguely classify 2 wheels and a motor as a motorcycle, go ahead. Nothing taken away from those builders.

Those that want to accurately compare motorcycles to motorcycles for a better look at what it takes to make a well-rounded motorcycle will have a better discussion.

It is comical watching someone taking a turn on a Boss Hoss.

25. 25 maroco Feb 9th, 2010 at 6:12 am

There are more Systems like this, what is the advantage of this steering hub systems?

26. 26 hoyt Feb 9th, 2010 at 10:52 am

maroco – hub center steering separates the steering and suspension duties better than most front-ends. This has a profound, positive impact because the trail does not change has much when compared to telescopic forks. Example: riding through a bumpy corner (or getting hard on the brakes right before turn-in for corner entry), the suspension and steering are not compressing together as much when the 2 are separated, which leaves more suspension to do its job. Consequently, forward weight-transfer is not as great which doesn’t upset the entire chassis as much.

Skilled racers tap into these advantages by getting on the brakes later on corner entry. (there is much talk about racers having to adapt to alternative front-ends after racing on teles all their lives, but that shouldn’t take long for talented riders)

There are structural/weight advantages too….look how centralized the mass is on the above bike. There is no heavy, bulky steering head in the chassis like you see on telescopic front-ends because the forces are managed low, at the front-swingarm pivots. So, not only can you centralize the chassis mass, but you can significantly reduce the weight of the frame.

Disadvantages include production costs, but that could change

27. 27 maroco Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:15 am

Thank´s for the explanation, hope one day we can see more aplications for this systems, they are very cool.

28. 28 cyclereckr Feb 9th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Who cares what you may ride! If it has two wheels and you RIDE it I am all for you not against you !

29. 29 Damo ....EIRE..... Feb 10th, 2010 at 6:25 am

quare ugly bike, speed instead of style dont think so not for me lads, but everyone to there own!

30. 30 Crackice Feb 10th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

so, at the end its normal engine modified to throw out 210 hp…..
    so if that’s how it works, then a busa with 2 superchargers and a twin turbo would be in the comp???

31. 31 Pepper Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Sexy beast.

32. 32 Tom Stephens Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

This is a strange argument. I own a Vyrus 984 with a full race 1200cc NCR engine.
    I know for a fact it weighs 135kg (295lb) & has 135hp. It cost about $100000.
    There is no way this bike will cost less then mine. I didn’t buy this one because I
    could see it would weigh a lot more then mine & be signifigently more complex.
    I never thought I would hear the Vyrus compaired to a Boss Hog. It pains me to
    type these words. It doesn’t matter that they are both motorcycles. The real point
    to any Vyrus is; it’s the state of the art of motorcycle developement. It is a joy to
    ride & a fiest for the eyes. For those of us that sacraficed a great deal to own one,
    it is a reglious journey.

33. 33 Curt! Feb 13th, 2010 at 12:51 am

Tom:
    I read through all of the comments and kept saying “No way are you getting into this argument”, but your comment got me into a position of adding a bit. Common definition of a motorcycle is: Two wheels, engine, transmission, and able to carry one or two riders. Of course, these days even that definition is skewed. Motorcycles are purchased for a purpose, whether that purpose is to take the twisties at blinding speed without falling off the mountain, making 800 miles in a day and still being able to walk at the end, or getting back and forth to work on a few cents of gas. All motorcycle are purpose built and to compare two so different motorcycles is redundant. I think the sticking point is the headline. Is it truly “the worlds most powerful production motorcycle”? Seems like Cyril was trying to incite an argument. Tom, glad you enjoy the bike, but I’d take a Harley Electra Glide over it any day.
    Just my .02

34. 34 Tom Feb 13th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Curt,
    One of the things I always liked about this sport is the ¨live and let live¨ attitude that most experienced riders have. It sounds like you´ve been around the sport a while and you have no doubt seen the new guys that get all hung up on ¨their thing is bigger then your thing¨. Funny how a big accident and you never see them again. You´re right, I think Cyril wrote the headline to get a reaction. I know the guys at Vyrus would not promote this because they have had second thoughts on supercharging the engine. It´s all so stupid, the only reason I´m writing is because I´m in Cabo on vacation with my wife. I´m so bored setting by a pool that I´ve gotten into this discussion. Curt, I´m glad you too love your Harley; that´s why they say ¨there´s a seat for every ass and a ass for every seat¨. I´ve got to get back to the pool before I´m busted.

35. 35 PhillyB Nov 4th, 2010 at 8:13 pm

A little more food for thought. I own a 2007 Triumph Rocket III. It is a superbly built, well-balanced bruiser cruiser that puts out an extremely respectable combination of ponies and torque for a bike of its ilk. She cost me $10K lightly used (2,700 mi.), in better than showroom condition and adorned with a bit over $5K in accessories. It is likely that I will fork over about $6K in order to install this:http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm, after which the beast will produce an everyday rider, that will look nearly bone stock and will put out over 250 hp and 200+ ft/lbs of !00% usable and rideable (sic) torque . Post-installation my Rock will probably be amongst the top .001% of street legal motorcycles on the road. In my book, for a cruiser that can quickly and easily be adapted to touring and that will flat out crush most, if not all the aforementioned motorcycles streetracing or at the drag strip. I think that I’ve gotten a superlative bang for my buck! I realize, that we are contrasting apples to oranges to a great extent and that the Triumph will not perform like a sportbike in the twisties, however, give me a bit of straight pavement and you will be waving bye-bye as I leave you in my mirrors! LOL

1. 1 Tweets that mention World’s Most Powerful Production Motorcycle at Cyril Huze Blog -- Topsy.com Pingback on Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:39 pm
Indian Motorcycle