Harley-Davidson New Australian Headquarters

Since I love architecture, I can’t resist showing you the new Harley-Davidson headquarters in Sydney, Australia. Architects at Tony Owen Partners gave the building very futuristic lines, but inside they tried to express the curves of the motorcycles. Sort of…

You enter into a central mezzanine, from where you can see the showroom, cafe, library, even the gym. An open platform on the first floor allows to look down into the technical workshops and training areas. The facility contains administrative offices, technical training and storage facilities for the iconic motorcycle company.Indoor space: 32,300 sq.ft. Time to build it: 30 months. Total cost: 2.45 million Australian dollars or about 2,25 million US dollars. Harley-Davidson Australia/New Zealand.

15 Responses to “Harley-Davidson New Australian Headquarters”

1. 1 burnout Mar 30th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Sweet but the Technical area looks a bit shabby from the outside. (left side of bldg I assume) Why am I complainin, I’ll never be workin there! peace

2. 2 Chad Greulach Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Now THAT’S what I’m talking about when I say brand identity. Go H-D!

3. 3 ian Mar 31st, 2010 at 3:32 am

Lovely looking building – and its great for the brand.
    There is no way on earth it was built for $2.25M – thats $70 per sq ft – I doubt that would even cover the internal fit out, let alone site purchase build cost and fees!
    Still no doubt money well spent.

4. 4 Jim C Mar 31st, 2010 at 7:14 am

No doubt it looks cool and different but I don’t see how that building reflects the Harley image. When you think of Harley,you think mechanical,retro,ect. Just my opinion but if I was walking down the street and saw that building,Harley Davidson is not what I would imagine inside. The price mentioned does seem rather inexpensive for the space. Either way,it was a waste of money for what they got-glad I am not an investor in HD stock.

5. 5 hoyt Mar 31st, 2010 at 10:21 am

Ian – I like the Ceaser Racer you are working on. Great stance and the mid-mount foot controls are a welcome sight.

This building is cool based on the above pictures. Hopefully some of the modern, forward thinking will be seen in Milwaukee. This doesn’t mean they have to stop excellent work on things like Road Kings

6. 6 fuji Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:27 am

My understanding is that the back side of the building was part of an old surplus Ostrich incubation facility transferred to this new location from the Out Back at very little cost.

Also the test facility in the early 1940’s for Harley Davidson and that there are many old Harley’s in the out back still lying around just waiting to be discovered. Military issue. This information was given to me from an old timer from Texas.

A lot of history for sure. Tradition That’s what sells.

When I get time I will have the India story. Bet you can’t wait.

7. 7 ian Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Cheers Hoyt! – Its my 10 year old FXD.

8. 8 The Producer Mar 31st, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Maybe the costs were low because economy is slow so rates are very good right now. Nice looking exterior and open floor plan interior.

Been Down Under years ago and I am glad to see H-D growing this segement of their business. There is quite a number of die hard Harley riders/owners in Aussiland so makes sense.

Good day mate.

The producer

9. 9 Doc Robinson Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Ha – it may not be obvious to most readers particularly stateside ones but the dumped military issue Harleys Fuji raises is a myth. Nearly all were dumped at sea, well at sea and still in their crates. The “buried in the outback” story crops up from time to time. It’s about as credible as the aliens at Rothwell or Bigfoot in Yosemite. Tho I did catch a glimpse of some kind of giant ape man when I rode thru there one year and my FLH did cut out mysteriously on the Extraterrestial Highway … and I did wake up with a strangely sore backside.

10. 10 Vision Apr 1st, 2010 at 4:37 am

Nice building no doubt. but sometimes it seems like HD needs to do a little soul searching and figure out who they want to be and who they want to appeal to. From the outside of this building looks like is might belong to a tech or communications firm but it hardly speaks to anyone who appreciated the nostalgia of the HD brand.

11. 11 industrial biker Apr 1st, 2010 at 7:21 am

The Australians are big into contemporary architecture.

12. 12 Jeff Nicklus Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Great architecture on the building … outstanding job!

Over & Out,

Jeff

13. 13 J Apr 2nd, 2010 at 1:05 am

Ya, that’s a Benz or BMW office- did Chris Bangle go to work for Harley now? lol…..

Interesting that Australia is allowed to deviate so widely from the corporate blueprint over here- any more, the dealerships in the US are like Walmarts- walk into any one of them, know exactly where what aisle the oil filters are in….. Are we really that boring?

Hey, what IS that sporty Cafe bike in the lobby- the one on the right? Does Harley Australia sell something like that? Buell something, isn’t it? I remember those…. Kinda…..

14. 14 Bigalyts Apr 3rd, 2010 at 2:20 pm

You called that for sure ! It looks more like a Ducati or Bimotta Dealership / Headquarters. It does not feel or represent Harley Davidson at all. If they installed a Bike or 2 on the outside Structure it might of made a difference. FYI the Aussies have a very unique way of building. They build in Modules and then insert them. they even cut the Doors and Windows in., after the rooms and walls are up. They are very competitive in their Buildings and even Boat Building. own Under.Things in general are not cheap in D

1. 1 Tweets that mention Harley-Davidson New Australian Headquarters at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Mar 30th, 2010 at 10:14 pm