Harley-Davidson Dealers Getting More Confident. Customers Too.

Harley-Davidson expects to ship 201,000 to 212,000 motorcycles to dealers this year and the belt-tightening moves and inventory reduction may already produce the expected positive effects. In an interview to the Milwauke-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel 2 analysts in charge of a Harley Dealers Study by Robert W. Baird & Co list their main observations.

1-  U.S. Harley-Davidson Dealers expect to sell 44,000 to 46,000 motorcycles in the second quarter, based on April and May trends. The trend is 18% below last year’s sales, but an improvement from the 24% decline in the first quarter.

2- As I mentioned before, sales of used bikes improved for the second consecutive quarter, up 7% from the first quarter of last yeart. 3- New models are selling at or very close to the MSRP because of lower inventory. 4- As the opposite of what dealers said during the last 2 years, most say that inventory too low rather than too high. 5- Dealers find consumer confidence much higher this year than last 6- Most dealers expect growth to begin again in 2011. Harley-Davidson.

14 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Dealers Getting More Confident. Customers Too.”

1. 1 morriscustom May 27th, 2010 at 8:52 am

Please,Please,Please Mr. Harley-Davidson dont start building motorcycles or engines,anything for that matter overseas,this is one of the last companies that are still pretty much AMERICAN ASSEMBLED,some stuff,suspension,carbs,starters are outcourced.But lets hang in there guys.Dont go the way of Polaris!!Are you listening UAW.!!!Of course some of us old guys with EVOS and SHOVLELHEADS might find they will be worth more money if they did.I want Made in USA to be the benchmark for everyone else!!!!

2. 2 john f May 27th, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hey morriscustom
    Wake up 98 % of your so called harley is made over seas and then they put it together here.
    POLARIS motorcycle is the closest thing to American made

3. 3 Rob May 27th, 2010 at 11:21 am

Why buy a new Harley when the papers are full of used ones selling cheap. For that matter why buy a Harley at all. Just overpriced outdated motorcycles.

4. 4 Lyle May 27th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I’ll tell you why. Because if your riding 1000+ miles a day, the HD touring bikes are the most comfortable and priced in accordance with other tourers. And when on the road, it’s nice to have dealerships in all states and most metro areas for tires and other wear items. This is coming from someone who owns everything from old Indians thru decades old HD’s and Guzzis, to modern Triumphs.

5. 5 GHK May 27th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I work in the industry and agree that business is improving. Less fear and cabin fever have improved my business during these last 2 months.

6. 6 J. Mason May 27th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

2 Harley people at dealership in Texas confirmed to me what Cyril is publishing. New Harley prices are firming. A good sign.

7. 7 Georgia boy May 27th, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Hey morriscustom
    POLARIS motorcycle is the closest thing to American made.

98% ? not even close. I’ll give you over 50%
    might as well pick 99.9% if you’re pulling numbers out of thin air.

p.s.: your friends at Polaris are on their way to Mexico.

8. 8 BigAl May 27th, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Wow, those are amazing Figures, they sound like Stock Share Holder Bull Sh_t !

9. 9 Otis Ward May 28th, 2010 at 7:08 am

The same old saying is still true,”If you have to ask why, you wouldn’t understand.” Harley Davidson is King!

10. 10 83shovelhead May 28th, 2010 at 11:57 am

Great news for us in the used Harley market. Thanks for the great info.

11. 11 Pete May 28th, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Lyle thinks the Harley touring bike is the best thing out there. Where in the hell has he been hiding for the past years. The Honda Gold Wing is light years ahead of anything Harley could dream of producing.

12. 12 Lyle May 28th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Pete, I said they are the most comfortable, priced fairly, and have a good dealer network. I didn’t say they are the best thing out there. But for long distance riding in comfort, I stand behind what I say. And yes, I have ridden both. Isn’t it neat that not everyone likes the same thing? That’s probably why there are different manufacturers producing a multitude of designs. Of course, if your looking for used vehicles, then the Goldwings might be the way to go as they seem to be cheap enough.

13. 13 Wayne Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:17 am

I was just talking to the delivery guy for Mike’s Famous in DE. when he delivered my 2010 Ultra Limited, my 3rd HD and have also ridden three other metric in the passed.
    Glen the driver informed me that not only does he deliver bikes he also picks them up for trade-ins. “The most traded in bike he picks up is the Gold Wing” Pete! The next most common bikes are the metric sport Bikes.
    Sounds like a lot of people buy the wrong thing when they start out riding doesn’t it?

By the way Mike’s Famous sells about 130 bikes and month and was by far the best dealer I have ever worked with. If you’re looking for a new or used bike email Christian at christianm@mikesfamous.com. Great guy!

PS. I do ride year round and average about 20’000 miles a year in the saddle. So I’ll never ride any touring bike other than HD.

1. 1 Tweets that mention Harley-Davidson Dealers Getting More Confident. Customers Too. at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on May 27th, 2010 at 10:39 am
Crusher