Death Of Easy Rider Dennis Hopper

Dennis Hopper, the “Bad Boy Of Hollywood”, died today May 29, 2010 at the age of 74. Director, Painter, Actor, Artist, Screenwriter and Photographer, few people will remain as present in bikers collective memory than Dennis Hopper. With friends Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson in front of the camera, Hopper decided to direct his own movie, and secured over $400,000 in financing to begin filming a screenplay written by novelist Terry Southern. The result was 1969’s “Easy Rider“, a drug-fueled journey through an America torn apart by the conflict in Vietnam. The film became a countercultural touchstone, grossing millions at the box office. Hopper defined a generation, documenting the shining hopes and bitter disappointments of the hippie counterculture

35 Responses to “Death Of Easy Rider Dennis Hopper”

1. 1 Seven May 29th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Easy Rider was a truly awful film, but it caught the mood of it’s age perfectly, as so very few films ever do. .

RIP Dennis.

2. 2 John Dodson May 29th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

RIP

3. 3 nicker May 29th, 2010 at 8:33 pm

RE:
    “…[it] was a truly awful film…”

Well not THAT awful.
    It was simply light on substance.
    A reflection of the times.

-nicker-

4. 4 Sasha Mullins May 29th, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Hi Cyril. In memory of Dennis Hopper, I’m offering my song Two Wheels Move the Soul as a FREE download, in which I mention his name. Let us rejoice his soul for gifting us with his fine artistry. Play it LOUD! http://motoroadeommc.bandcamp.com// Love, Sasha

5. 5 Big Tone May 30th, 2010 at 2:27 am

R.I.P. only 11 at the tme the film was released when i did see it i KNEW i wanted a bike and have never looked back.

6. 6 Boss Hawg May 30th, 2010 at 6:58 am

We must all pass the tests of time and Dennis did this well. However, advanced prostate cancer took him out, so my friends here that are getting white beards like me must have your prostate checked and re-checked.

As well as Easy Rider, I choose to remember Dennis for his drug fueled role in Apocalypse Now and the many other movies he was in such as Speed and Water World, etc…

With Cyril’s blessings here is a quick look at Dennis Hopper and his brief journey through time. http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/2329/dennis-hopper-1936-2010/fp#photo0

RIP Brother,
    Boss Hawg

7. 7 John Green May 30th, 2010 at 8:10 am

Mr Hopper
    You will never know how many lives you changed
    Your role in Easy Rider can only be measured by the profound effect it had on the people that understood it
    The people that understood it did not bother to explain to those that didn’t.
    RIP Amigo

8. 8 maroco May 30th, 2010 at 8:25 am

Great man and actor, ride forever in our memory.
    RIP

9. 9 Sturgis biker May 30th, 2010 at 9:42 am

It was Easy Rider that changed my life and turned me to the road and motorcycling. I saw the movie just the first time and knew what direction I was headed. I can say I must now have close to a half million miles under my belt and owe it all to Dennis Hopper. RIP Dennis you have done me good.

10. 10 karend May 30th, 2010 at 9:44 am

All I can say is he was a brilliant actor. He gave us all that feeling after watching easy rider that we were all the “wild child” Personally i will really miss him. R.I.P. to one hell of a man… God Bess.

11. 11 BadMonkeyMW May 30th, 2010 at 10:08 am

RIP – Another of Hollywood’s great old time actors passed on. It’s no surprise Dennis and Steve McQueen were good buddies. Real men who brought genuine substance to the movie screen.

12. 12 JimC May 30th, 2010 at 10:21 am

I have the movie saved on my DVR and actually just watched again for the hundreth time a couple of weeks ago. Cool guy who had his sh#t together. he will be missed. RIP brother.

13. 13 Jeff Nicklus May 30th, 2010 at 12:55 pm

RIP Dennis …. give ’em hell in Heaven!

Over & Out,

Jeff

14. 14 Dave Blevins May 30th, 2010 at 4:14 pm

The film Easy Rider obviously means different things to different people, for me it wasn’t so much the storyline as much as the motorcycles themselves. I was a kid when the movie came out and didn’t appreciate the plot until I grew older, what I did get was custom is cool. I customized every bicycle I had as a kid, I learned to paint, and work on my dirt bikes eventually getting into street bikes as a teenager. Mostly this was inspired by the bikes in Easy Rider, I still love the timeless look of long rigid bikes.
    I never knew Dennis Hopper so it would be stupid & self-indugent to say I’ll miss him, but I can say thank you for a look into a culture and lifestyle that I may never have known without Easy Rider.
    So, thanks Mr. Hopper… ride easy.

15. 15 ger May 30th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

i was too young to be let in to see the movie when it came out first.
    so i bought the posters.
    i guess that’s what started me off on a life long obsession with choppers
    thanks lad,,RIP.

16. 16 jatinder pal May 31st, 2010 at 1:15 am

RIP brother…..u will be missed worldwide.

17. 17 FHP Scott May 31st, 2010 at 7:22 am

RIP … a fantastic actor!

18. 18 jim r May 31st, 2010 at 7:22 am

I was going to a military prep school trying to get a Naval Academy appointment or failing that , ROTC when Easy Rider was released. A couple of us snuck out of the dorm one night and went to see this “forbidden” counterculture movie. Nothing was ever the same for me ! Ended up in New Orleans with no ROTC and a pretty counter culture attitude the rest of my life. the power of one movie is/was amazing.

19. 19 jack1340 May 31st, 2010 at 8:15 am

un grand monsieur! un grand photographe ! un grand acteur ! pour tous ce qu il nous a donner il restera dans nos memoires…….thanks monsieur hopper

20. 20 drew May 31st, 2010 at 8:24 am

Hopper was the coolest ,a guy you could hang with all day.RIP

21. 21 BigAl May 31st, 2010 at 10:39 am

Dennis you were in a class of all your own. What an Idiot “truly an awful Film” it was legendary and look who was discovered and now a Mortal, Jacky Boy. I think it is probably the best film in the world made for $400,000.RIP Denis and say hello to Bruce, he loved what you did for Him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. 22 live2rideaglide May 31st, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Hey guys. I was 15 years old working in my family’s bike shop when Easyrider hit the big screen. I’ll be honest with you , the bikes were really what drew me in but the picture was an accurate portrayl of a generation that was groping to find purpose and meaning at that turbulent time in our country.
    To say as an ealier blogger said, that it had little or no plot is to misunderstand the statement of the film . When the younger culture of the day had become disillusioned with status quo , many tuned out of normal society and began to live as if their lives had no plot. It was not a blockbuster epic like
    Gone with the Wind or The Ten commandments but it accurately captured the discontent of the age whether you agreed with it or not. That panhead with that ridiculosly long springer and that American flag tank became an ” the iconic image ” of what a chopper looked like as well as a symbol of rebellion against the normal accepted production motorcycle. After Easy Rider came out I heard the citizenry asking ” Is it a chopper or a motorcycle? Nuff said. Even today , when I see a
    rigid , elongated ape hanger like the Captain America bike one word comes to mind , FREEDOM.
    I am not a film historian , but from all I read about Hopper , he was considered an inovative and
    extremely talented actor, producer and director. My prayers for his family. Easy-ride-a -glide. Peace.

23. 23 BONEHEAD May 31st, 2010 at 3:13 pm

WAS OBSESSED WITH THIS MOVIE SINCE THE AGE OF SEVEN WHEN IT CAME OUT. THANKS TO DENNIS AND PETER FOR SETTING THE PACE OF THE BIKER LIFESTYLE I STILL LIVE TODAY….AND YES I STILL RIDE A HARDTAIL CHOPPER AT MY RIPE OL AGE OF 48. RIP BILLY! BONEHEAD IN HANOVER,PA.

24. 24 BONEHEAD May 31st, 2010 at 3:18 pm

PS……I WILL BE ROLLING UP A FAT ONE TO SMOKE IN YOUR MEMORY MAN!

25. 25 JP@MyEvilTwinChoppers May 31st, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Vaya Con Dios Dennis Hopper, Ride Easy Easyrider…

26. 26 Ivan keff May 31st, 2010 at 4:47 pm

RIP now i will chill out and mix af spliff and remind my young age,,,you dit,,and HellS-Angels i love the free live,s in my world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Love from Denmark

27. 27 TON_1%er May 31st, 2010 at 10:01 pm

…RIP…Dennis

28. 28 Bill May 31st, 2010 at 11:02 pm

One more of a dying breed is gone. I always enjoyed watching his films; he brought something unique to the roles he played.

Rom 10:13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

29. 29 grayhawk Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:13 am

The Wild One, Rebel with out a Cause, others were all lead in’s to Easy Rider and most likely influenced Dennis as they did most of us because movies were the path to exposure to most small town people as tv had just come out in I believe the 50’s if memory serves me and most couldn’t afford them till much later so movies were the thing and most sent messages of sort and were trend setting.

The Wild One and Rebel without a Cause started/ gave path to rebellious minds, street racing and bobbing/stripped down rides, with Easy Riders came the breaking free and reefer madness and the custom and paint expressive visuals that showed/expressed ones mindset. Movies, Music, Drugs, Hot Rods, and Bikes all shaped paths back in the day. All part of our History and each one of us and Dennis was a big part, even the/his choice of ride, one of the if not the first slammed all business looking Jammers if you will projected one mindset from Dennis while Fonda’s big overpowering look at me bike setup posed a different so go back and watch it again and you might pick up quite a few innuendoes as none of us has watched it just once and overtime have picked up/came out with many different points and aspects of life at the time and still today. Thank you Dennis for your part.

30. 30 Rick Jun 1st, 2010 at 9:34 am

If it wasn’t for the movie Easy Rider…I probably wouldn’t be what I’m doing today to make a living and loving it!

Thanx and God Bless Dennis…RIP!

31. 31 cwglide Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:29 am

RIP Dennis Hopper, one of the most talented actors in hollywood. I will miss you, God Bless Dennis Hopper.

32. 32 raycwheeler@gmail.com Jun 1st, 2010 at 7:22 pm

one of my heros, a great man to say the least.

R I P

ray usa

33. 33 Eric Genet Jun 13th, 2010 at 9:15 am

Plain and simple…”Easy Rider” changed it all…the perception of the counter-culture, the perception of freedom, the perception of bikers/riders…the list goes on. Judging the movie by comparing it to “Gone with the Wind” is an insult not only to its creators but to the message itself. I highly doubt Fonda and Hopper ever even entertained winning an Oscar and couldn’t have cared any less. That said…
    What a ride you had Dennis! From an Easy Rider to a Ghost Rider…you are and always will be considered one of the originals. Ride on…

34. 34 Tom Chop Jun 13th, 2010 at 7:44 pm

RIP Dennis Hopper;
    You`re contributions to the “biker” culture and you`re unique style will be greatly missed by many.
    Goodbye and Happy Trails Man

1. 1 Tweets that mention Death Of Easy Rider Dennis Hopper at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on May 30th, 2010 at 12:01 am
Crusher