Ural Patrol T Sidecar

Many new custom motorcycles are being built in the old style of today using modern technology, but not many trikes and sidecars. Why not? I was looking at the new Ural Patrol T sidecar featured here and wondered if it is feasible to build from the ground up something similar for a better price than its 2010 MSRP of $12,400. My answer is no.

In addition to its unbeatable World War II or Indiana Jones feel, this sidecar combo of features is quite good for the price: an OHV air-cooled 4 cycle opposed twin cylinder engine (749 cc), a world’s only on-demand two-wheel-drive sidecar drive shaft, 4-speed transmission, Herzog gears, true reverse gear, Brembo brakes, a solid tubular chassis, an all steel construction, a rubber mounted sidecar with large storage compartment, both electric & kick starter, a stainless steel exhaust, etc and a full tool kit and air pump included! Looking to impress your collaborators when you arrive at the office on a Friday morning (dress accordingly to casual day and to your ride) Or needing a fun vehicle to take the lady and the kid to climb rocks to a favorite fishing spot? Or just wanting to feel like belonging to the Red Army on its way to defend the Russian motherland against invading German Panzers? Or simply patroling your unsafe neighborood? Pick your fantasy. Maybe a good base for customization. It’s imported from Russia and distributed in the US by Irbit MotorWorks of America. And guess what? Although very small, the URAL market continues to grow outside its native Russia…

13 Responses to “Ural Patrol T Sidecar”

1. 1 burnout Jun 4th, 2010 at 11:31 am

Ural has quite a following. I personally think they are cool but require a LOT of maintenance. The Patrol is just what it’s name implies, excellent for low speed patrolling. Top speed maybe 45 mph. And that is really pushing it. Other models can cruise near 65 mph. I read some very cool stories on-line of Ural owners making cross-country trips! I don’t think one could be built cheaper either. peace

2. 2 Lyle Jun 4th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Burnout,
    I own a 97 Ural tourist and it’s one of my most reliable bikes. Hardly any maintenance. I had to re-jet the carbs and besides checking fluid levels and keeping the rear shaft splines greased, that’s all I do. The newer 750cc Urals including the Patrol will cruise at 65ish. I’ve had my older 650 at 70 and it’ll cruise doing 55. But you wouldn’t want to do 75 in these rigs anyways.

3. 3 MDK Jun 4th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Very nice. I rode in one back in the early 90″s and it was really cool. I’d love to have one, of course it would just be for quick trips into town and tooling around the backroads. That would lead to a problem because I’d have to get rid of the wife uh well she’d shurely get rid of me if I buy another bike.

4. 4 merzhoyka Jun 4th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Give the wife a ride in the sidecar, she might surprise you with her voluntary approval of THIS bike. 😉

5. 5 KT Did Jun 4th, 2010 at 2:13 pm

hmmmm…. you mean give the husband a ride in the sidecar….. He loves it, so does the dog. I have the ’09 Sahara and am actually taking it Sturgis from California—solo. Should be an interesting ride. I meet so many people on the road when riding this Ural. Luv it. However, I did put a cruise control on it for added comfort.

6. 6 maroco Jun 5th, 2010 at 8:37 am

Good side car, they are very impressive and utilitary to.

7. 7 4Cammer Jun 5th, 2010 at 11:51 am

Now that I finally realize motorcyling nirvana does not have to mean going 100+ or taking corners that scare the cagers, bikes like this get more and more attractive. This would be sweet for a coffee and magazine run.

Damn, I am getting old.

8. 8 Nikita Khrushchev Jun 5th, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Unless they throw a billion rubles at it the Russians can’t find their asses with both hands. Would be nice sitting in back of the man cave, as a conversation piece, but forget riding it . . .

9. 9 thelma Jun 6th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I worked for an aftermarket shop in the early 90s that decided to get a dealership for Urals. A beatup side car was Fedexed first, then some parts with directions in Russian,followed a month later by some more parts with Russian directions.We laid everything out on the shop floor, till it sort of looked like these parts might fit together.Right before a large trade show, a Ural was Fedexd from San Francisco!We took the Ural with brocures and a video of large Russian woman in the Ural factory building, painting and riding to work in the deep snow ,4 at a time on their own Urals to the show.Everybody just sorta stared, but, took brochures and listened to us bullshit about these wonderful MCs.Untill the Russian guy showed up, he said” We used my father’s Ural on his farm in Russia, it hauled hay, we fixed fence out of it,we rode to town in it,it was our only vehicle”! The Russian guy was so happy to see us and I was happy too, because now I could get the directions translated!Only translated, the directions said stuff like ” This is a group of wires”.We did get the Ural running and used it to go on beer runs and to pick up lunch,not very far because often, no matter what a rider would do, the Ural would not start.That’s when the name URINEal was coined.
    We did sell a few to people who already had 3-4 other bikes, sort of for their collection.I see them once in a while and remember and laugh.

10. 10 jatinder pal Jun 8th, 2010 at 2:01 am

Collectors item….must have if likes this type of bikes.

11. 11 Jesterlester Jun 19th, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Love the utilitarian look of this bike, try riding your raked out bling chopper in the snow…ha!
    I believe the engine is a WW2 BMW model knock off. The Chinese also have a similar model using a Chinese knock off of the WW2 Beemer engine.

12. 12 tonyg Jun 26th, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I have a 2002 Tourist and love it. I have two new Harley’s besides but no doubt the Ural is the bike of choice with my two grandsons three and five. We go to two Wednesday night bike get togethers and they wait all week for Wednesday nights. It really helps with discipline too. If they don’t behave and do their chores they don’t get to ride with Grandpa. The Ural attracts constant attention and people are constantly asking about it. I enjoy showing it off and feel better with the grandkids in the side car than riding behind me.

13. 13 thomas Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ural was upgraded in recent years thanks to american investors taking things in their hands.
    In 1957, the russians gave the technology to the chinese who created changjiang 750, they are the – almost- exact replica of the ww2 BMW, great looks not like the Ural which is in between a retro bike and a potentially modern bike.
    ChangJiang’s are 1938 technology so get ready to get your hands dirty but my oh my, what a ride!