A Youngster Small Budget Customized Honda CB 350

The Honda CB350 was a 325cc motorcycle produced between 1968 and 1973. Its reliable motor proved to be a popular design, making it at the time the highest selling motorcycle in American history with 300,000 units sold. It’s still a popular small bike for riding and a good canvas for some custom work. It’s what 20 years old Evan Favaro did on his 1972 model, working hard at giving it the Bobber flair, but for a modest total budget of $2300.

To achieve the look of “Crap Weezel”, Evan heavily modified the frame using 1.5″ chromoly steel tube, making it a hardtail with the original wheel base extended by a total of 6″. Engine is sporting custom headers and equipped with 32 mm Mikuni Carbs. Tank is from a Sportster and Frisco mounted (the Pepsi Cola bottle opener is a nice touch) Original front end was smoothed out and powdercaated with original drum brakes being kept but modified with extended linkage. Custom handlebars in size 7/8″ were fabricated with no switches on them anymore. Foot controls are also stock but required an extended brake and shifter placement to fit  Evan’s size. Battery box is cut out of a Diamond plate and the one-off exhaust was heat wrapped.

Evan works as a mechanic at Tribal Iron Choppers in Fair Lawn, NJ and is very proud  of his second place trophy  in the Bobbers Class during a bike show during Laconia Bike Week. Beating big dollars custom bikes is always exciting. In addition he just got in my Blog the plug he deserves to help him jump start his young career.

18 Responses to “A Youngster Small Budget Customized Honda CB 350”

1. 1 Darin Maltsberger- Instructor@MTI Jun 30th, 2010 at 8:00 am

Awesome job! A small budget means that a fella has to use a little ingenuity. These old metrics are a favorite of my students as well. Maybe the trend will stick and we’ll see a whole new custom culture emerge like we have had for the H-D customs. Keep up the good work and be proud of your bike.
    -Darin

2. 2 John Green Jun 30th, 2010 at 9:34 am

I love it!
    This is how it began for so many of us….a few bucks, a little time and a desire.
    Bring it to one of the Easyriders Bike Shows and I will give you a front and center place to put the bike.

atta boy!

3. 3 Spider Racing Jun 30th, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love these bikes

Keeping the Cost down will allow younger guys the chance to build or buy a custom they previously could not have. Plus with a limited amount of out of the catalog parts for these bikes you are pushed to make your custom parts making the bike one of a kind

4. 4 Steve the producer Johann Jun 30th, 2010 at 11:47 am

I too like these low budget bikes for the fact that anyone with time, a bit of talent and tools and help of a few friends can craft their version of a custom street bike. My only thoughts are I would have used a smaller tank as tank looks a bit large for the size of bike. Other wise the title says it all “Crap Weezel” as in I am not trying to look pretty but down and dirty.

Rat Fink would be proud!

5. 5 maroco Jun 30th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Good start, good luck for the future.

6. 6 Dave Blevins Jun 30th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Go get ’em young man. Chop it, weld it, and ride it.
    And take Mr. Green up on his offer, bring it to an Easyrider event if you can, they are great people. If you’ve never been to one it’s loads of fun and you get to meet lots of folks in the custom bike world.

7. 7 Aaron Glenn Jun 30th, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Keep up the good work! Bike looks cool!

8. 8 John Green Jul 1st, 2010 at 7:42 am

We have a new class this coming year that caters to these bikes.
    I really would love to see more of these buillds.
    It is my responsability and duty to welcome and encourage guys like Evan.

9. 9 Your Big Sister Jul 1st, 2010 at 9:00 am

Hey there little brother!!!!!

Awesome to see you’re finally getting some cred for your work! Don’t go and get too famous on us, or we’ll have to do another piggyback into the gravel. <3 you babe! Xoxoxo Alexandra

10. 10 Gabe Larkins Jul 1st, 2010 at 11:10 am

That 350 is awesome! I love all the hard work and low budget. So tired of the cut fenders and flat black so called bobber custom crowd. Your bike has style and unique look, isn’t that why we all got into building bikes in the first place ? Good job and keep up the great work. Your little bike is going to start a trend in the industry.

11. 11 Anthony F. Jul 1st, 2010 at 1:33 pm

You are darn right this thing is killer!!!! I think that kids middle name is Werner.

12. 12 Evan Favaro Jul 1st, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the positive feed back everyone….i started it back when i was in high school and was my weekend project for a few years, but its a fun ride, draws a lot of attention. Hey Green,,,,,easyrider doesnt do too many shows up by us but id love to take you up on that offer

13. 13 sasha Jul 1st, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Dig it! This is a brilliant custom. The way to go for sure.

14. 14 nicker Jul 2nd, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Anything on two wheels is “…a good canvas for some custom work…”

Because kids having fun with scooters is what it’s all about.

-nicker-

15. 15 John Green Jul 3rd, 2010 at 8:13 am

Evan e mail me at easyriderjg@aol.com

16. 16 Walt Lumpkin Jul 5th, 2010 at 9:41 am

In my travels I see more and more of these Jap & Brit bike customs. Some based on old
    motors and chasis and others based on the newer versions of old brands. There is definitely
    a trend here for something new and unique. It may be old (Jeff’s Vincent racer) or a new version
    like this post. What was once old is new again. I like it.

17. 17 live2rideaglide Jul 8th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hey Evan , I like it. It looks like you have to be a little crazy to ride it. Not for everybody , not boringly normal if you know what I mean. You ought ot call it junkyard dog cause it looks like it ‘s getting ready to bite somebody’s leg off . Also built my first in hs, everybody thought I was crazy, and i was.
    Endeavor to perservere in the discipline means keep on building this kind of bike. Good job. Glide dog

18. 18 Aunt A Jul 19th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Evan,
    Never doubted for a minute your talent and drive-pun intended. Keep doing what you love and you will never work a day in your life.
    Love you xo