Fast Motorcycle Industry News

Harley-Davidson Inc. (HOG) shares lost about a quarter of their value in June, victim again of waning consumer confidence. The Milwaukee motorcycle company’s stock has slid 25% to $21.49 over the past month, hurt by poor demand for high-end leisure items and a shaky economic climate, making it one of the worst performers on the Standard & Poor’s 500 index during that period.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) may impose huge fines on four of China’s biggest ATV’s makers and withdrew its approval of the import and sale of 200,000 gas-powered off-road motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles. This is the first time EPA has voided certificates of conformity for off-road or all-terrain vehicles. The agency alleges that tailpipe emissions information was either incomplete or falsified entirely. It is just the latest action that casts doubt on the quality or safety of Chinese products or the integrity of the firms that produce them. Back in May, EPA fined Pep Boys $5 million for importing non-compliant motorcycles, recreational vehicles and generators manufactured in China.

The Indianapolis Dealer Expo moves to a Friday-Sunday schedule starting in 2011 (Feb. 18-20). Previously, the show had been held on a Saturday-Monday schedule. For dealers whose stores are traditionally closed on the Monday President’s Day holiday, the new schedule affords them three full days to see product lines and network with manufacturers, distributors and other dealers at the show, plus an extra day to travel home before business opens on Tuesday. Many motorcycle dealers have expressed the desire that the Cincinnati V-Twin Expo change its schedule to a Friday-Sunday schedule. For now, it remains on a Saturday-Monday schedule (Feb. 5 to 7)

10 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 Knucklehead Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:44 am

I have always wondered why when someone like Standards & Poors says something negative the stock goes down. I listen to them like I listen to a critic about a movie. (I don’t). This is the kinda stuff that causes panic. It’s like the network news. Don’t listen to them either. They like to inflict fear on the public. You don’t see 20 20 or 60 Minutes run a story on the advantages of why one should by a motorcycle. No! They would only run a story on anything negative about motorcycle people and all that goes with it. Warran Buffet said the DUMB thing to do is listen to that stuff and sell your stock. He said keep it. It will come back.

2. 2 Darin Maltsberger- Instructor@MTI Jul 2nd, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I am very nervous and a little skeptical about the EPA/China connection. I applaud the crackdown on the import of shoddy products and obvious emmissions violations, but I am not naieve enough to believe it will stop there. Cyril ran a story recently about aftermarket exhaust investigation by the EPA, and I suspect this today is a lead-in for attacking the traditional Japanese, Canadian and US off-road manufacturers. I hope I’m wrong.
    The upside………..Someone is going to have to create new aftermarket solutions for fuel injection and exhaust systems that will meet or exceed emmissions standards and that means sales and service opprotunities.
    -Darin

3. 3 fuji Jul 2nd, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Knucklehead

Standard and Poor’s is a credit rating agency .
    This doesn’t make them a God as we saw in the past but far from it as we experienced in the last melt down with good credit ratings on company’s that were supposed to be solvent.

4. 4 buck bighorn Jul 3rd, 2010 at 6:25 am

Keep an eye on Victory. Polaris, parent co seems to be fairing much better

5. 5 fuji Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:34 am

If one would have followed the sentiment of stock ” analyst ” on Harley stock for the last couple months and stayed with their buy recommendations, one would have lost a lot of money.

There was a sentiment of a rally in the near future but that has been lost. The fact that the new lows have grown considerably of late suggests that the market is unhealthy and risky in the intermediate-term at least.

Point . A dollar is a dollar regardless of where one places it . In the stock market if you are going long term and want to reap the benefits of good dividends Harley stock is not the place to be. There are many other choices with a better percentage of payout.

Passion alone does not pay rewards.

6. 6 Gerry Jul 3rd, 2010 at 9:49 am

Try AAPL

7. 7 just my opinion Jul 3rd, 2010 at 1:04 pm

The drop in HD stock value does not surprise me even one little bit. I said on this very site months ago that if HD keeps losing market share sooner or later the stock would have to reflect that loss. Here is my next prediction if this stock continues on its downward spiral. Watch for a take over by Warren Buffet or some other corporate raider type. I would be willing to bet money that Buffet did not lend his money to HD unsucured without some kind of back end deal, like an option to buy large or unlimited amounts of HD stock at fair market value. When that value of stock drops below what Buffet or another party believes they can liquidate the company for, one of them will pounce all over HD. I truely hope I am wrong this time but time will tell.

8. 8 Gary Bang Jul 3rd, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Just a small note Harley has not and is not loosing Market share they still have over 50% of the heavy weight market.

Remember people like BWW, Triumph, Victory, Honda, Yamaha and the rest make up the rest of the market. When you look at it this way it really is not that bad.

Warren Buffet who knows what his plan is the Money is still not due yet I doubt that some one would want to liquidate Harley this is just idle talk and unless we have some facts we should not even hope something like this would happen or spread it through the Key board system. In other words let us all wait for the facts or make sure some one is dead before we bury them.

Positive thing’s are good to spread about . Harley has the very best line up in the industry. They have a dealer network Love them or Hate them are the best in the Business. Parts wow do they have a lot, Leather jackets I know some think that this is stupid, but the very best you could buy, Florring for their dealer network the best, Financing for used and new cycles find a better place.

If time permits walk in to your local Harley dealer and just look around and say Hi. Something positive could happen. My Best Gary Bang A Very Proud Harley Dealer

9. 9 Jeff Nicklus Jul 3rd, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hey Gary,

How the hell are you? Happy 4th to you and yours. See you in the fall at Thunder Beach, this time it is my turn to buy the drinks!

Over & Out,

Jeff

10. 10 martin Jul 5th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Gary Bang,I in fact did that here in Ft.Lauderdale Florida and I found that there was very few bikes and lots of T-shirt racks and bling,and if I was looking to buy a new Harley they only had a couple of choices,went to Pompano Harley and they were out of business,went to Sunrise Harley and they were out too?But your right the only Harley shop open the people were nice,but I didn’t want nice I wanted a new bike……….

Crusher