Beezerker BSA. Off-Center Motorcycle Design.

11 months in the making and a Best Of Show trophy last weekend at the LA Calendar Show for Chris Flechtner of Speed Chop Design. For many who saw it, a strange, skinny and innovative machine based on a fully rebuilt 1965 BSA A65 motor. Look attentively and you will find out that the down tube is used as the oil tank, notice that the headers disappear under the motor because entering the frame with an exit in the very back just under the taillight. Girder fork is a one off, like all body work machined and/or hammered out of aluminum and stainless steel. Details include a twist clutch, stainless steel grips from Chris’ Schwinn Mag Scrambler and only one mechanical rear disc brake. And let’s not forget 100’s of hours of buffing and polishing…

It’s now 20 years that Chris restores and builds cars and motorcycles. He shares his professional time between Speed Shop that he founded 10 years ago and Gulassa & Co., Inc. a Seattle based high-end furniture design and manufacturing company that is nationally and internationally renowned for their award winning designs and unparalleled craftsmanship. He his a graduate of The Cranbrook Academy of Art where he earned his MFA in design and metal arts. Speed Shop Design.

19 Responses to “Beezerker BSA. Off-Center Motorcycle Design.”

1. 1 krugger Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:19 am

very tasty work! A little bit square…but very clean and different! A lot of nice details and good solution!! I like it !!

2. 2 baddad Jul 22nd, 2010 at 4:24 am

Very interesting and funny in positive way, like from comics. 🙂

3. 3 m switzer Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:06 am

The oil tank in the downtubes was a factory item from 1970 on. Made it real hard to chop the bikes when we were cutting up/chopping english bikes in the 70’s. Took a 1969 BSA cut off the rear section welded a hardtail on , raked the neck and ran a 19 inch over springer in 1972. The bike had a very rare half chrome and metal with no emblem gas tank that just got thrown away. During that time I was at a friends and he had an old HD tinted windshiel that was sitting waiting to be picked up by the garbage man.

4. 4 Johnny G. Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:01 am

wow. Wild.

5. 5 Johnny G. Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:02 am

I keep coming back to this one… really original and interesting.

6. 6 Speed Shop Design Jul 22nd, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Thank you all for the compliments, it’s all very exciting for me!

Mr. Krugger, thank you as well. You have always been an inspiration to me and I look forward to meeting you at AMD and getting to chat. I hear your bike is a very special one!

Chris

7. 7 loony Jul 22nd, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Saw this bike in Long Beach,, Loved it

8. 8 Rogert Grez Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I disliked it then I liked it. Then I disliked it and liked it again. Explain to me.

9. 9 cwglide Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Very unique, have to give it a thumbs up for design and styling innovation. What i like most is the frame and what he did with the exhaust. NIce!

10. 10 Dave Blevins Jul 22nd, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Interesting.
    Really dig the frame, and the lighting as well…

11. 11 Shifter Jul 22nd, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Weird, but with merit.

12. 12 RUB Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Best Of Show trophy ? wow . should rename it the nut cracker . cuz your nutz are gonna be hurtin after sittin on it .

13. 13 Jim Gianatsis Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Last year 2009 Chris Flechtner took 1st Place Pro Builder at the LA Calendar Motorcycle Show with an exotic retro Bar Hopper, Speed Shop #6 now featured in the new 2011 Iron & Lace Calendar and in the Calendar Bike Gallery on our website.

This year our judges awarded Chris the prestigious Calendar Bike Building Championship’s Best of Show award because his bike was so unique and original, and so clean and simple, while following a complete modern/retro theme. The detail work is incredible and can’t really be seen to its full extent in just pictures.

All the controls, bolts and nuts are hand made just for the bike, with the rear wheel stand machined with a fitted teflon saddle to fit and pivot on the rear axle ends just perfectly without scratching. The frame’s engine oil tank hand made Oil Filler cap is located at the top of the gas tank next to the hand made Fuel Filler Cap. There is not an aftermarket bolt-on part on the bike. The bike is street legal with hidden lights and turn signals.

The icing on the cake is the beautiful box stock BSA A65 engine with an Amal carb using a remote SU automotive float bowl.
    When was the last time anyone used a perfectly restored BSA engine in a custom bike?

Chris now joins a select group of celebrity builders who first premiered in America at the LA Calendar Motorcycle Show including Shinya Kimura, Russell Mitchell, Roland Sands, Jesse Rooke, and Kenji Negai.
    Congratulations Chris!

Jim Gianatsis, producer, photographer
    LA Calendar Motorcycle Show & Calendar Girl Music Festival

P.S. Kudos to builder Ron Simms for his sexy little Black Sportster I also got to photograph for the 2011 Iron & Lace Calendar and is now on the cover and featured in this August’s Easyriders magazine.

14. 14 Bigal Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:34 am

This, is really, “Out of the Box Thinking”! .Very, very idealistic. Forks, Frame, Motor, all Your thinking and Designing is like Mind Masterbation. I think that is what you all are saying. Speed Shop Design could have been the Designer of the “Aluminum Speedster” in the Blog above. That’s a good thing! You Guyz got it !

15. 15 maroco Jul 24th, 2010 at 11:32 am

Really difrent bike, nice details, congrats to the builder.

16. 16 Howard Bartle Jun 6th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Every time I see a truly custom bike I feel a little closer to the understanding of where my own designs live and [I hope] thrive. Seeing this unique work helps a lot: things I love, others I’m not sure of, but built with an intelligent eye toward quality: it all helps me “feel” in a visceral and sensory way, design essence moving and evolving. I came from the world of fine art ceramics to wood/furniture and plain love the bike stuff. This may help inform my Ducati build. Thank you Chris.

17. 17 matt Aug 9th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

kida looks like an elephant, in a good way

18. 18 Todd Dec 19th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Saw Chris’ creation for the first time this weekend and WOW, pictures do not do this rolling piece of art justice.

Chris was very generous with his time in explaning the may innovations to this motorcycle. At times he demonstrated great patience with the crowds that gathered around his creation.

My first impression of this design was Art Deco.

To take this desgin from a 2D concept to reality shows great skill. (Elegant but Simple) Usually this is the hardest target to hit in design.

Cannot wait to see the next innovative design from Chris in the future.

19. 19 Luis Dec 19th, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I saw this at the Quail motorcycle show. The pictures don’t do it justice.

Crusher