2011 Victory Motorcycles Line-Up. Best Millesim Ever (Part 1)

Yesterday evening in Orlando, Polaris unveiled its 2011 year model motorcycles and my opinion is that it’s the best lineup ever for the company. From traditional to futuristic but with coherence of  styling and complementarity all models are having now a very distinct personality from their competition. For these reasons the brand may now appeal to a very wide range of clients.

The big announcement was that all 2011 models are now equipped with a 4-stroke 50-degree 106 C.I. (1731 cc) V-Twin engine (compression ratio 9.4:1) with the addition of a new “100,000 mile” transmission warranty. MRSP price range runs from $12,499 for theVegas 8-Ball to $24,999 for the Ness Cross Country. Featured here is the new Cross Roads Custom, a highly configurable model. In my next posts I will introduce you to the rest of the line-up. Victory Motorcycles.

36 Responses to “2011 Victory Motorcycles Line-Up. Best Millesim Ever (Part 1)”

1. 1 Seymour Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:49 am

I sincerely want to like Victory. They are getting closer to grabbing me, but not quite there yet. I wish them the best of luck.

2. 2 lorenzo Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:16 am

Sorry…but it does look so Japanese… look like a Honda to me, too complicated shape and weird proportion .

3. 3 Brian Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:24 am

Like this one. Competing with The Harley Road King?

4. 4 Bigal Jul 27th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

They are Top Shelf and always were a leader in Suspension and their “Track” was always great, Oh Shit, we were suppose to be talking about Motorcycles and Not SNOWMOBILES, that is what the name Polaris represents to me ! They look like a great Bike, and I think the Ness’s have helped Polaris a bit, (Boy I wonder what they paid that Family Millions and Millions) and good for them. I understand that they are dependable and I agree with all of the Above !…………Still not there, when you or I are comparing them with the look and feel of a HD! I think that If they were competing, without HD in the Picture, and they were just competing with, Triumph, Star, Honda, Kawasaki in their Cruiser line, I would Jump on a Victory! The Problem for me is that HD is my Bike and a Victory would be my Number 5 Bike . I would have 4 HD’s in front!!!

5. 5 just my opinion Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Victory may not be as big as HD “YET” but they are gaining ground daily and as long as there bikes are dependable “as they are” and look good “as they do”. Then Victory will continue to gain market share. I don’t think Victory is trying to be HD nor should they. HD has been building the same style of bike for fifty plus years and has had great success doing it but their customer base is growing old and dying off. The younger riders of today and I believe that the riders of the future will also want more than the HD styling of the past that we all like. Every style fades away sooner or later. HD has had a great run with their styling it has proven to be very popular and profitable but that is yesterday’s styling and Victory is looking towards tomorrow as they should. I think Victory is doing everything right and in time they will be as big or bigger than HD. Great job Victory keep up the good work.

6. 6 john Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I just saw the 2011 harleys. They did change a thing. Even brag about there bat wing faring being 40 year old design. There hole bike line is old. The only thing they did do is keep the price the same pretty much but then would you pay more money for a bike that really hasn’t changed in the last twenty years.
    YES YES I owen a street glide if I can I will trade it for a victory ASAP.
    Good by willy and your old designs.

7. 7 Gas Man Jul 27th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I have always promoted Vic. I like the fact that they are an American company. But …Have you ever rode one? Their motors are 10CI bigger than my HD 96TC but lack the same power and off the line torque. Their trans, advertised to be built for longevity, is the loudest and noisiest trans I have ever rode above. The bike has a real metric bike plastic, cheap feel to it. Eveno n the vision, which has been out for years, the non power windshield version still had the switch on the controls to move the windshield. Why I asked. To save money.

Bottom line, they stack up the same as a metric bike but at more cost. If you price a Vic out to meet the same options as a HD, they are similar in pricing. Further, the same feel to the bike as a metric. You don’t get the feel that the bike was designed by riders, like you do with a HD.

My $0.02 and not yours.

8. 8 RUB Jul 27th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

need to lower the azz end 6 ” .

9. 9 Skipper Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Far better quality than a Harley and much more advanced. Harley has been building the same old same old for too long. There engine is a boat anchor and there brakes are terrible. Maybe after Harley pays back there debt they can hire some real engineers and start to get back in the game. Victory builds a very good motorcycle and there sales will continue to climb.

10. 10 Bigal Jul 27th, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Just my opinion, I never said that Victory wants to be HD! : They are going after Star (Yamaha), Honda, Kawasaki, Trumph and Suzuki. Thats where they are trying to be or compare themselves with. I was just talking about”ME” when I said that there aien’t nothing like a Harley for “Me”. That’s for me! I think their Engine is Stone Cold Ugly looking. I know it runs, a little Odd! The Bike Rides and Handles pretty good. Gas Man you are right about the Metrics. These look like another Wannabe, and they have not found themselves yet!!. THe Vegas and 8-Ball aren’t bad at all. They got their Own look, which I respect. The Other Touring Bikes don’t even offer ABS. That’s tthe best thing about the Metric’s is their almost all ready to give you ABS. Victory only has ABS intheir “Star Wars Eddition” the Futuristic one. The one that is all Plastic. I don’t mean FRG and Gel coat! Listen I LOVE Motorcycles PERIOD. I know there is good in all of them. Like I said before they are a better Snowmobile then they are Motorcycle.

11. 11 Graeme Jul 27th, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Made in Mexico…No thanks

12. 12 1550tc Jul 27th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Harley has been building the same old same old for too long

I hear yah but that is what their customers seem to want.

like em hate em or slam them, some of those bikes just have classic lines

a cheap 06-08 v rod has come nice potential if you want a new H2O hd cheap or used a buel ulyseses is a fun alround bike…..for 30k u can get 3 nice used hd’s with tons of miles left in them ………..so its a great time to buy one

13. 13 Tom Jul 28th, 2010 at 4:48 am

I’ve owned victorys for the last 4 and half years. The best way to answer any curiosity is to take a demo ride. I believe Victory has 3 factory trucks in various parts of the country pretty much all year holding demo events. I’ve been riding motorcycle since 1970 and most all of the brands whether HD, BMW, or Japanese are good. I’ve had them all. Victory is my personal favorite of all that I’ve had.

14. 14 Doc Robinson Jul 28th, 2010 at 6:48 am

I recently took a Cross Country on a three day ride in all sorts of weather and very varying road conditions from great to goat track. Sensational handling, stability in corners at speed absolutely rock steady, suspension great. A great touring bike by any standards.

15. 15 ben Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:07 am

What is a “Milesim”? I’ve been trying to figure this out for two days already.

16. 16 Brian Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:14 am

Milesim. Word to qualify a good year. For example a wine best milesim is the best year for a wine. By extension, best quality year. Don’t you know to make an online search to find the definition of the word you don’t know? There are good and bad years for some products, including cars and motorcycles. Cyril is saying that 2011 is a Victory line up good year.

17. 17 martin Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:24 am

John do what I did buy both a VIC and an HD that way you can keep everyone happy,those that don’t believe and those who ride!

18. 18 martin Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:26 am

P.S. I also have to Ducati’s and a Buell……………..

19. 19 ben Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:40 am

Brian, thanks for the info, but I DID several online searches, even entered “milesim defined” my computer even underlines the word as as misspelled one. Where on the internet did you find this.

20. 20 Brian Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:44 am

Milesim. Not a common word, but still a correct word to define excellent/fine/best year. .

21. 21 Odlamn Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:09 am

Looks (again) like design change for the sake of change, not purpose. I can’t quite get it. When does H-D change their design? When it improves the experience or addresses a new segment, not to establish a unique identity. They accomplished that before I was born.

Victory builds a good enough snow machine by reputation, and now a good enough motorcycle. But do we feel the heartbeat, especially with their over-stylized body work?

In a nutshell, Victory is a case of function following form. It strikes me as a poser, and I suspect I’m not alone. They have a long way to go before they get a foothold on Suzuki and Honda in the cruiser market, let alone H-D.

This being said, I respect Victory riders on the road like I do riders of any make. To each their own. “Whatever gets you through the night.”

O

22. 22 buckbighron Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:10 am

Graeme, you are wrong dude. Only some of their other products are moving components to mexico. You can keep your chinese hd instead

23. 23 Axel Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:28 am

“Milesim” is not a word, according to Webster’s Dictionary. There is evidently a winemaker named “Milesim”. You got a little snotty, Brian, for being wrong.

24. 24 Dustin Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:35 am
  25. 25 Cyril Huze Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hey, guys. Stop the fighting about Millesim.

Definition: ‘Millesim’ (Pronounced: Mill~e~zeem) is a commonly used French term, often used in conjunction with fine wines to identify a particularly exceptional year for the quality of a wine. Millesim is also used to qualify an exceptional year for a product from nature or made with human intervention. For example it is used for coffee, by collectors for some cars when some years of production are considered much better than others, etc.

26. 26 ben Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Look, I’m not trying to sharp shoot anyone, but I will defend myself. There is no word in the English language that is spelled “milesim”. I don’t doubt it is a word, I just wanted to know what it meant. That being said: attacking someone and telling them to look it up on Google (even including the hyperlink which does not include it’s definition) or pointing to a Peugeot (which doesn’t define the word either) does not help anyone. And yes Axel, I feel that his response was disingenuous.

27. 27 Milwaukee Mike Jul 28th, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Re: the Harley vs Victory debate…I encourage everyone to “let a ride decide”…we rent both Harleys and Victory motorcycles at our Street Eagle Motorcycle Rental location inside of Arlen Ness Motorcycles in Las Vegas.

28. 28 ben Jul 28th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for that definition, Cyril. I have been a fan of your blog for some time now, I just was unfamiliar with that term.

29. 29 Graeme Jul 28th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

buckbighron, the plans are to move everything there over time. And yes i will be one of the next wave laid off. Sucks but the quest for mighty buck is more powerful than helping people who stood beside the company since almost day one . Somehow though i have a feeling it will backfire on them

30. 30 Brett Jul 28th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Just my opinion, who are you kidding?? Victory is no where close to the numbers of Harley. If this were just the Victory company & didn’t have the Polaris snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. behind them, they wouldn’t be in business.

That is the thing with every Harley competitor……well other then the new Indian I guess, they rely on their giant company & the companies numerous other products to stay in business, while Harley is just their bikes & things to go with the bike.

Not saying it’s good or bad, just saying, there is no other purely bike company who honestly competes with Harley.

For the record, I DO NOT like the Victories at all. When you see them in person, the paint makes them look like they are made of plastic & their shapes are way to space aged for me.

If I bought something not Harley, I’d be getting a Triumph.

31. 31 Rex Covington Jul 29th, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Graeme,

The Victory motorcycle are not manufactured in Mexico, Victory motorcycle are manufactured in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Rex

32. 32 Todd8080 Jul 29th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I truly hope Victory does well and gives Harley some domestic competition, but until they vastly improve their bizarre styling, I just don’t see that happening.

Admit it or not, style is a big part of the ride. You can have the most powerful, best handling bike on the road, but if it’s butt-ugly it’s only cool from the rider’s point of view.

A good example is the Gold Wing. I don’t care how fast it goes or how many gizmoes it comes with, the damn thing is just ugly. From the rear it looks like two Miatas humping.

I’ve given the Vision plenty of time to grow on me and it still looks like a cartoon bike, as in something George Jetson would ride.

33. 33 just my opinion Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Brett; First of all I never said Victory sells as many bikes as Harley. What I did say was and I quote

34. 34 just my opinion Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Brett; I never said Victory was close to selling the same number of bikes as Harley’s. What I did say was that Victory is gaining ground daily and that is a fact. More younger riders are buying the Victory than the HD counter part. It may have a lot to do with price but I believe it also has to be the styling,dependability and advanced engineering that attracts the younger riders as well. HD has the same basic styling they have used for 50 years and as I also said it has served them well but at some point ever style goes away. That is also a fact.

35. 35 Sportster Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Victory has two things in it’s favor: more efficient 4-valve heads (with considerably more power than a stock H-D), and a very tough, forged crank that doesn’t need welding, for reliable, 100+ hp hop-ups. As far as those worried about some Victory operations located in Mexico, don’t forget that H-D is also pretty much a “kit bike” assembled from trinkets sourced all over the globe. I own an ’07 Sportster which has been a fantastic bike, but if I go for a “big twin”, the far more durable Victory will be the choice.

36. 36 Donny Jan 21st, 2011 at 10:54 am

The next bike i purchase will be a Victory,or a Triumph. HD has nothing for me to ride. HD needs a new modern line of bikes to go with there retro line,or cut there price in half. If Harley dose not change with the market they will die off. You have to stick five grand into a HD to have it run like a stock Victory ,or Triumph. Victory has a great dealer net work were Triumph has a great net work,but it’s to small. The baby boomer base will be finished soon. What will HD do then ?…. forty ,thirty,twenty year old people will not put up with the HD dealer dance like the boomer. Boomer’s eat crap from HD and except it as part of the ride. The younger crowd thinks your insane to put up with that kind of treatment from a dealer for a low quality HD. A dealer a hundred miles away that will help is better then one a mile away that won’t.

Crusher