Handy Industries Closed Its Doors. Looking For A Buyer.

Although the motorcycle industry seems to bottom out, there are still a number of good companies unable to make it through the US economic recession.

For over 40 years Handy® Industries has been manufacturing professional shop equipment and also truck accessory products and many of us in the industry use their products, especially their great bike lifts.

Last Friday the company closed its doors and laid off the remaining 30 employees. Handy Industries has tried for some time to find a buyer for its under capitalized business, is still looking for an investor and is continuing selling off its  assets. The closing of the company is now anticipated to provide buyers a cleaner target for acquisition. Handy Industries was founded in 1964 by Bud Sieverding, Charlie Lander and two other partners. (thank you David)

35 Responses to “Handy Industries Closed Its Doors. Looking For A Buyer.”

1. 1 Dale Aug 18th, 2010 at 3:48 pm

That’s terrible news. They have the best lifts in the business.

2. 2 low blow Aug 18th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Holy COW…… Like Dale said, the best ! NOT GOOD !

3. 3 Superglidesport Aug 18th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

They took a huge hit once local distributors began importing the cheap, Chinese knock offs of their good quality lifts. This will happen to more domestic companies and their employee’s if folks don’t start placing a value on quality rather than price alone.

4. 4 Sardeanie Aug 18th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Makes me sad. I’ve wanted a Handy lift for years. I’m only one person but I can’t help but feel if I would have pulled the trigger on a purchase it may have helped. We need to remember this and support the products we admire and desire.

5. 5 Dave Blevins Aug 18th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

My Handy lift (the electric model) is one of my most used tools in the shop, sad to them close.
    My guess is the Harbor Feight copy of the Handy is what did the damage. Really too bad, another American innovation gone.

6. 6 A 1 CYCLES Aug 18th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

when i opened my shop in 1996 i installed three of there lifts in my floor as part of my new building, no ramps flush with the floor, at that point in my life that was one of my best purchases ever, those lifts have been going up and down for 14 years without a seal or bearing replacement…you wont get that in those chineese knock off, sad to hear the news

7. 7 BadMonkeyMW Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Bummer. The majority of shops I’ve wrenched for over the years have had Handy lifts and they are the best. Sorry to see them close up shop.

8. 8 Woody Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

As above, if they stay down for good it’ll be because of the crappy, imported copies. Same thing keeps happening. I have a nice Rivco (made in Wisconsin) portable lift which is no longer made. Hard to compare with Sears & HFreight selling similar ones for under $50 🙁

9. 9 burnout Aug 18th, 2010 at 7:01 pm

sad sad sad. peace

10. 10 SD Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Problem is… they are NOT the best. Not anymore. I have a few Handy’s and a Direct Lift and I’m sorry, with a longer deck and half the price the Direct Lift wins the pot.

11. 11 Gangster Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:12 am

Sorry to see any American company fold,I started buying Handy lifts in the seventy’s, but I have to agree with SD, I have four Handys and two Direct Lifts. The Direct Lifts are my personal choice because they are built with the same standard of quality as a Handy Lift only better. First off yes they cost less, second they are black powder coated and most important to me they are diamond plated, so when your working, tools, parts, whatever stay where you leave them and won’t roll off your lift.

12. 12 Brian from NJ Aug 19th, 2010 at 6:59 am

My handy lift is by far the best “shop accessory” I’ve ever bought.
    It makes every job easier and more enjoyable.
    It has never failed me in 15 years.
    But I must admit, when I visit shops and see the more modern lifts I have to wonder why Handy didn’t update their design.
    The company has a good name, hopefully someone will buy them and come out with a new version of the lift that was the benchmark for decades.

13. 13 mbofill Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:09 am

in order to compete with the foreigners we must drop prices…yeah were americans but our pride and greed we all need to quit being premodonnas and face reality for the foreigners are getting allof our monies cause we refuse to drop prices to stay alive!!!

14. 14 Pepe Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:51 am

Very bad news

15. 15 just my opinion Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:13 am

It is easy to say shop owners should drop their prices but when the local, state and federal government is taking half of all business income for taxes and fees it is hard to compete with china and taiwan. We as Americans need to buy American products for sure but we also need to get a handle on these politicians that are selling our souls to line their own pockets. This has become a country of free hand outs and they are mainly going to Politicians, non working people or non Americans at the expense of hard working Americans. When is enough going to be enough? Vote ALL the incumbant Politicians out. That should send a loud and clear message that we are sick and tired of these politicians screwing us and taking our money like we are cheap whores working the bad side of the tracks. A vote is a powerful thing if used properly. Use yours to help your future and the future of all Americans.

16. 16 Woody Aug 19th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Where are the Direct Lifts made? I see “Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facility enjoys ISO 9001 certification, has more than 400 employees and produces thousands of lifts per month – all conforming to recognized Industry Standards.” on their website, but it doesn’t say WHERE the mfg facility is, unless I missed it elsewhere. I see their hdq. is Indiana, but I never saw anything spelling out Made In USA. Not trying to start anything, I’m just really curious since they look like a good product.

17. 17 Chris Aug 19th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Ordered and paid for some parts 4 weeks back. from Handy Industires I have been calling and leaving messages on their voicemail for the last three weeks since the parts never arrived. Now the phone just rings and rings. They had no problem taking my money though. I’ve filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commision. This is wire fraud since they took the payment over the phone. I will be filing a criminal complaint.

18. 18 Eric Maurer Aug 19th, 2010 at 8:25 pm

damn…. does that mean we are all going to have to use those crappy lifts from Harbor Frieght from now on? The world is gonna have a lot of bikes falling off lifts from now on.

It’s a sad, sad day!

19. 19 Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian MotorCycle Co Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It is a shame to see another good American company go by the wayside. Their product is of a very high quality and I certainly did not mind paying the price for any of the 5 I have. Some folks want cheap but I want quality. Whether it be this US company or another, I will support an American company over a cheap import. Just like the bikes we build and parts we supply, I will only go with quality and quality counts in the end. But unfortunately many consumers only want cheap. Its not me and I refuse to budge from the Quality route.

20. 20 BIG WILL Aug 20th, 2010 at 12:41 am

Hmmmm, another wonderful USA Co. down, an icon in our industry, WTF.

I got 8, you couldn’t sell me any other brand, I say read the label and buy American, its now or never folks.

FUCK THE REST, BUY THE BEST, BUY AMERICAN.

BIG WILL

21. 21 BIG DOUG Aug 20th, 2010 at 3:09 am

S**t we have had these lifts in our shop for 20 years no probs whatsoever,hell I have one in my garage I am gutted by this.

22. 22 Paul Aug 21st, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Regarding where Direct Lifts are actually manufactured, I don’t specifically know, but since all they use on all of their equipment is metric fasteners thats a pretty good indicator they’re not built in the US. I know it’s no guarantee of that, but based on that I’d put my money on them coming in from out of the country.

23. 23 Woody Aug 21st, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Thanks Paul, hopefully the folks using them will chime in? If they’re made overseas the “half the price” doesn’t mean shit to me, if they’re made here then I’m impressed and may put one on my short list.

24. 24 11sec dyna Aug 22nd, 2010 at 6:33 am

Wondering how to get info on the company? Are they really for sale or are they just trying to raise money to stay afloat? I am interested if they are selling?

25. 25 Junior Aug 22nd, 2010 at 7:16 am

This is what happens when we think we can get by cheap and not buy American made product. It just creates a chain reaction, The employees from Handy Lift will no longer be buying the products we build so we will suffer. KEEP YOUR MONEY IN THE US !!!! It’s that simple.

26. 26 Fluke Aug 22nd, 2010 at 2:24 pm

To those that asked, all Direct Lifts are made in Haimen, China.

27. 27 joe dirt Aug 23rd, 2010 at 8:35 am

handy lifts were made in iowa

28. 28 KC Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:05 am

Got this from the Direct Lift Site:

# Where are the lifts made?

Our lifts are made in an ISO9001 compliant factory located in Haimen, China. The factory in China is owned by an American corporation, which means all management and manufacturing processes must meet specific requirements prescribed by ISO. Visit the ISO website for details.

29. 29 Rod Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:52 am

A great company, They wii be missed

30. 30 Heavy Metal Aug 23rd, 2010 at 10:08 am

I have a fifteen yr. old Handy. Couldn’t do without it. I’m wondering if ram parts will be available, I had to replace the seal on the piston in my air cylinder once.

31. 31 Dennis Aug 23rd, 2010 at 12:43 pm

We asked Todd Massey from Handy if they would sponsor our videos several years back and they were in no questions asked. Great team at Handy and I wish them all the best.

32. 32 Woody Aug 24th, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Thanks, Fluke & KC. Guess I don’t need one 😉

33. 33 Todd Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:46 am

This is sad news.

I have a Handy lift in my garage and I love it. I got it this spring and it’s been the best purchase I’ve mad in years.

This is a stupid question, should I oil my lift in the air inlet using air tool oil?
    Should pneumatic oil be used like in an impact gun?

Thanks in advance!

34. 34 JimC Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:21 am

I agree with “just my opinion” There is another choice in lifts out there rather than Direct lift but they are not made in USA. They are made in Canada. They are owned by Snap On and are a high quality lift but the cost is not $800. I am sorry to see Handy go down the tubes and with them another 30 American jobs. I did not buy Handy lifts but I did not buy Direct Lfts when I bought our motorcycle lifts. I needed lifts that were long enough to handle a 10ft bike if need be and Handy nor any of the Chinese lifts offer anything like that. I would have been more than happy to buy Handy lifts if they had offered a longer lift. I called them to make sure they did not offer anything like that. I even offered to pay a premium for 3 longer lifts.

1. 1 Tweets that mention Handy Industries Closed Its Doors. Looking For A Buyer. at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Aug 18th, 2010 at 6:39 pm