Carolina Harley-Davidson Closing. The End Of The Baldwin’s Era.

We are all saddened when we hear another industry business closing its doors. Even more in this case because I have known its owners during so many years. After the tragic death of Clifton Baldwin (1954-2008) known by us as Click Baldwin in a motorcycle accident in Montana, his wife Diane kept the Carolina dealership open during 2 years.

But on October 15 after entering into an agreement with Harley-Davidson to retire one of the largest dealerships on the US East Coast. she will close the business in Gastonia that her husband created 22 years ago. The loss of Click Baldwin was a personal and professional loss and Diane had difficulties dealing alone with the slow down in Harley motorcycle sales.

At time of prosperity, the dealership had up to 75 employees. Last Saturday Diane Baldwin met with the current 33 employees to announce her decision. Then, her plans will focus on selling the building and sorting through the museum housed inside Carolina Harley-Davidson and containing many of her late husband historic vintage and classic motorcycles (it includes a 1914 Harley-Davidson Model 10-B a.k.a Silent Grey Fellow.) The Baldwin’s were more than a very large Harley-Davidson Dealership. They had a passion for custom motorcycles, had a department to build them, and were extremely active in sponsoring numerous local, regional and national charity events. I understand that the dealership will not be replaced. My best wishes to Diane Baldwin and her employees.

17 Responses to “Carolina Harley-Davidson Closing. The End Of The Baldwin’s Era.”

1. 1 David Aug 19th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

My best wishes as well Cyril, I very much miss Click, and am deeply saddened by the entire episode.

2. 2 Mark Moses Aug 19th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Our Indian Dealership is only a mile from Carolina HD and we are truly saddened as a result of this stressful news. Click and Diane were always great supporters of the industry and the community, we are proud to have known them and shared in a few events. I have great respect for their accomplishments and passion and wish Diane all the best in the next chapter of her life.

Click is forever a legend and his life’s work; Carolina Harley Davidson will be celebrated in the hearts and minds of their many clients, friends, and associates forever.

In another time, this dealership would never have to close; it would have been fought over by many suitors as a valuable enterprise. We are living in an interesting time where the rules and guidelines are no longer clear and the unimaginable now happens. Kiss the kids and embrace your friends, as Click always knew, this is all that really matters…

Mark Moses
    Indian Motorcycle Charlotte

3. 3 Doug Cahn Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:26 am

Mark Grimes
    What is so awesome about this????
    Click was one of the most wonderful guys I ever had the pleasure to meet and ride with!!
    How dare you use this article, which breakes the heart of everyone who knew him for self promotion????
    Click was one of the most giving, caring, generous people that has ever thrown his leg over a bike, and for you to use this catastrophy for self promotion turns my stomach!!!!!!!!!
    You Suck
    Thanx
    Doug

4. 4 Steve 'brewdude' Garn Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:36 am

The dealership will be missed but not as much as Click to all that knew him.

5. 5 Doc Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:41 am

Cyril…Enjoy your Blog, saddened to hear another American Icon is folding and even more saddened to read of Click passing but not supprised by the Idiot that thought this was awesome…
    like so many in our society today, he’s so self absorbed and focused on his agenda, that he failed to read the story and understand just how he’s piss everyone off…Mr Grimes, you’re a Moron and I’m proud to say I’d never read another thing you had to say or be interested in anything in which you’re involved.

6. 6 Uruz Aug 20th, 2010 at 8:18 am

It is so interesting and saddening to see the industry change as it has. The loss of Click, Indian Larry, Bruce Rossmeyer, and so many others have changed the face of motorcycling forever. I totally respect the decision to close the dealership. I only hope the entire Baldwin family has fond memories of the happenings there. My best wishes to all.

7. 7 Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian MotorCycle Co Aug 20th, 2010 at 8:55 am

Click was a HUGE loss to our industry and charities he became involved with. He was always generous with his funds and heart and his personal customs he built were over the top. It is sad for the family to have to come to this decision and a loss for everyone else who knew Click. He truly was one of a kind guy.

8. 8 Pepper Massey Aug 20th, 2010 at 11:26 am

Change can be miserably uncomfortable.
    I miss Click – his energy, his wit and charm, and his footwear!
    Sad for Diane, sad for us.

9. 9 Jeff Nicklus Aug 20th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Click was truly one of the “Good Guys” of this industry and he is deeply missed. I can only wish Diane and the entire Baldwin family my best wishes for continued success and happiness. With the closing of Carolina HD so closes the book on an industry milestone. It is sad!

Over & Out,

Jeff

10. 10 1550tc Aug 20th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Met Click once in cincy and I had no clue who he was, all i recall was him telling me how he loved to give a person a second chance or to help someone out who had fallen on tough times….there and then i knew how special a person he was 🙂

Jeff a few of the bandits in the Black Hills still use Rallys Menus at a few of the places i ate at 🙁

11. 11 Rider2 Aug 21st, 2010 at 10:36 am

I don’t see Mark Grimes’ post. Was it deleted from this blog?

12. 12 Bigal Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I was going to ask the same thing! This Doug Cahn, Character went off like a “Shotgun”. I thought he was talking about Cyrill. Then I thought He meant the other “Mark Moses from Indian………..WTF?

13. 13 Curt! Aug 22nd, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I met Click once when the Kyle Petty Charity Ride came through. His love and support of the motorcycle industry is only eclipsed by his willingness to give money to charity causes. I’m sure he’s missed every day. My best wishes to his family and former employees.

14. 14 Doug Cahn Aug 23rd, 2010 at 7:33 am

There was a post from Mark Grimes using this very sad post as a means to self promote his mc blog, he stated that “this is awesome”, then listed a link to his site.
    I found this extremely offensive as there is nothing awesome about the closing of a legendary HD dealership or the loss of one of the most generous, giving, caring individuals I have ever met…Click Baldwin!!! Sometime after my “shotgun” response his post was deleted.
    Thanx
    The Doug Cahn Character

15. 15 Fred Snyder, Boca Raton, FL Aug 23rd, 2010 at 8:27 am

I met “Click” through a mutual friend, Kyle Petty, Click was truly one of the most caring HD dealers and gentelman I have ever met. The dealership and Click will be missed by all that had the pleasure of meeting him. I can only hope Kyle keeps the memorial ride going in Click’s honor.

16. 16 Doug Cahn Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:50 am

Mark Grimes is a well known spammer.
    His email & ISP were transferred to the Spam register.

Cyril Huze Blog
    561-289-7323

1. 1 Tweets that mention Carolina Harley-Davidson Closing. The End Of The Baldwin’s Era. at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:39 pm
Crusher