The Secret Life Of Roger Goldammer

Canadian bike builder Roger Goldammer was first known in the industry for his radical parts (billet aluminum front ends and frames), then reached fame for his pretty wild and futuristic custom motorcycles conceived to be not only aesthetically pleasing but also mechanically extremely innovative to go very fast on the track.

Most of his work until now has been a modern take on board track and Cafe Racers, each of his creations always including innovations like hidden swingarm suspension, V-Twin converted in single cylinder engine, front suspension part of the frame neck etc, often incorporating Nitous Oxide Systems to race on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

His main achievements include: 1st Place Overall and 1st Place Best Engineered Bike Oakland Roadster (2002), Triple AMD World Champion Of Bike Building (2004, 2005, 2008.) In order to have complete creative control on his work Roger Goldammer doesn’t build custom motorcycles for customers anymore and only builds bikes for himself, each of them being sold later to finance new projects. In the following interview he reveals some about his personal life (Top picture, copyright Horst Roesler. Bottom picture, copyright Tom Zimberoff)

Cyril. In High School what your teachers said about you? Roger. Hmm, most of them liked me, don’t know. But it would have been good…

Cyril. Who were your childhood heroes? Roger. Evil Knievil, Craig Breedlove. As I grew up, guys like Arlen and Pete Hill.

Cyril. Do you remember what was your 1st vehicle? Roger. Other than bikes, a blue 1964 Austin Mini woody wagon.

Cyril. If you were not working in the motorcycle industry, what would you do? Roger. Love cars too. Wouldn’t be hard for me to shift over.

Cyril. What is your favorite way to relax? Roger. Working on one of my own many projects.

Cyril. What is the last music you downloaded in your iPod? Roger. Refused (Swedish hardcore punk band.)

Cyril. What are you afraid of? Roger. Getting too old to ride a dirt bike fast.

Cyril. What is the person you would love to meet? Roger. Film Director, screenwriter and producer Steven Spielberg.

Cyril. Which film made you cry? Roger. Haven’t seen that one yet.

Cyril. Name five things you hate. Roger. Arrogance, disrespect, girlfriend drama, OCC trinkets, people who hurt animals.

Cyril. What was the last book you read? Roger. Been a while, if I stop moving for any length of time, I fall asleep. Works for movies too…

Cyril. Where is your favorite vacation place? Roger. Bonneville Salt Flats.

Cyril. Do you have any guilty pleasures? Roger. Well, I am a licorice junky. No guilt though.

Cyril. Do you collect anything? Roger. Yes, apparently unfinished motorcycle projects. Well, cars too…

Cyril. What was your worst buy? Roger. A Chinese bead roller and various stocks.

Cyril. How do you take your coffee? Roger. In large quantities.

Cyril. What was the most embarrassing thing you have ever made? Roger. A fort for/with my boys that fell off its legs in a big wind storm.

Cyril. What is the best thing you can cook? Roger. I like to cook, not too creative though. Probably ribs.

Cyril. When was the time you were really angry? Roger. I don’t get really angry. Getting stabbed in the back by people you have been helping does it though…

Cyril. What is your perfect weekend when you are at home? Roger. When the phone doesn’t ring, spending time with my awesome boys, pretending I can skateboard with them on their half pipe.

Cyril. What is your preferred rally? Roger. It has to be Sturgis. Have had a lot of fun there…

Cyril. What is the worst question a journalist asked you? Roger. Is bike building a great way to make a living ?

25 Responses to “The Secret Life Of Roger Goldammer”

1. 1 Dietrich Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:05 am

Innovatibe builder for sure. Less in aesthetics, more in technology and performace

2. 2 CHOPMONSTER66 Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:10 am

very nice work , he builds cool shit.!. very creative and inventive keep up the great work. creative freedom no substitute !!!

3. 3 Dan Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:34 am

Hey Roger. Something new going out of your garage?

4. 4 T Bone Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Great responses!
    OCC trinkets & getting to old to ride dirt bikes fast.

5. 5 BIG SEAN Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:32 am

When can I say , Roger is the best! As an innovator and just an all around cool ass person.

6. 6 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor @MTI Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:37 am

Roger took time out of his “vacation” at Bonneville this year during BUB to visit with the MTI students and myself. I was impressed with his patience and his willingness to share information with these young people. You are one of the modern day heros Roger. Thanks.
    -Darin

7. 7 Steve The Producer Johann Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:49 am

Hi Cyril, we beat you to the punch this time. We had Roger on the Hog Radio Show 2 weeks ago. If you wish to hear the interview with Roger then go to hogradio.net and listen to the show which we recorded and have available at our website.

Roger takes his works seriously and he has a shop where he does a lot of machine work for the locals in his neck of the woods. He has a good head on his shoulders and understands what it takes to make these fine machines. He is quick to show his respect for his fellow builders too. Stop by and take a listen.

Thanks Cyril and those are some great pictures.

8. 8 krugger Oct 27th, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Style , design , innovation ,high quality and speed!!! Impossible to do more….

He’s my favorite builder!

Roger, are you ready for the TT ? 😉

9. 9 1550tc Oct 27th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Met Roger a few times and have yakked on the phone with him a few times, he always took the time the to talk about his projects and man talk about about a true down to eart guy with NO EGO…….sure iambiased and to me he is in a league of his own……………I love his innovative and less is more way of building one of kind iconic bikes

when so many of his fellow builders and ego maniac tv builders have gone to the trash can, Roger has stayed true to his craft and beliefs and is still here 🙂

The best unknown compliment/s he got and probably didn’t hear was when he unloaded that green pea shooter bike at the first legends top 50 show in 04-05??? and just left it parked on the lot…….. even though he didn’t enter the bike in the show the consensus discussion amongst all the builders at that show was that it could have easily won the show hands down!

10. 10 hoyt Oct 27th, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Nortorious is one of the best customs of all time. Thanks Roger

11. 11 Heather New Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I have had the pleasure of meeting Roger only a few times…
    It has already been said that he has NO EGO, and I would whole-heartedly agree!
    I have several builder friends who know him better than I;
    each and every one describes him as “Humble” and “Down-to-Earth”
    Now Thats a legacy his boys can be proud of 🙂

12. 12 nicker Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:21 pm

RE:
    “…Less in aesthetics, more in technology …”

That scooter his sitting on LOOKS esthetically awesome to me…..
    What am i missing?

-nicker-

13. 13 Gord Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:02 pm

He inspired me to build bikes ,at a much lower level of course. And for a guy as old as he is ,he’s pretty fast in the dirt!

14. 14 Cycle Boyz Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:28 am

The best in the business, TRULY INSPIRING….

15. 15 Mike Tomas, Kiwi Indian MotorCycle Co Oct 28th, 2010 at 9:57 am

Extremely creative builder and well deserves his titles. Class act all the way. I’m all for riding the bikes builders create. Respect

16. 16 martin Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:27 am

Thanks Cyril and thanks Roger great photo’s….

17. 17 awesome Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:24 am

Great interview. Good questions, creative answers, would have been great to see and hear on TV.
    This is a bike builder that has not pre concieved notions about himself, just doing what he does best..

18. 18 aft customs Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:32 am

In my opinion Roger is the best custom bike builder/designer of all time.He is young & the contributions that he will make in the future will bennefit us all. He has started many trends. Every time I talk to him I learn something. I humbley admit that at times he talks over my head too. The interview answers were what I expected from him – he’s real & to the point. There’s nothing fake about the guy. See ya

19. 19 Quint Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Krugger! check it out. Roger mentioned you in the HogRadio.net interview. You’re his favorite too.
    Great interview Cyril.

20. 20 Alan Kraus Nov 1st, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hey Roger, you never get too old to ride dirt bikes fast , I attest to that, It just hurts a bit more…

21. 21 JP@MyEvilTwinChoppers Nov 1st, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Huge contribution to the industry by an amazing guy. Thanks Roger and thanks Cyril for sharing

22. 22 nuno maroco Nov 1st, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Very inspiring builder, great bikes, congrats.

23. 23 Dennis J Nov 12th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Cyril, I really like these series of interviews you are doing. Nice work.

24. 24 Bruce Johnson Mar 20th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Roger, I am 74 and on a recent ride with friends, all younger than me, I fell 4 time the first day out. The friends (?) were trying to get me to give it up. I have some lung issues and my wife wants me to stop off road riding for that reason..

I understand being afraid of getting to old to go fast on a dirt bike, my current bike is a Husky TE450, and I am trying to understand my age handicap and decide if I would be faster on a short, less powerful bike.

Bruce Johnson

1. 1 Tweets that mention The Secret Life Of Roger Goldammer at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:31 am
Crusher